: $2500 to spend on my V, what should I get??

SoSueMe
03-19-09, 10:45 AM
So I have an extra $2500.00 to throw into my V this month and was wondering what I should do next.. I already have the following bolt ons: a B&B catback, kooks, x-pipe, K&N CAI, & Predator tune.. I was considering a Fast 90 intake manifold, and perhaps a throttle body, but I am having some trouble finding a throttle body.. Anyhow, I am open to suggestions, and appreciate all your input..

CadiBlk
03-19-09, 10:51 AM
Shifter.

Twitch
03-19-09, 11:06 AM
CAM that bitch. Or just save a bit more and....MAGGIE that bitch!
:cool2:

Tony

BTW I don't think you'll be happy with an intake manifold without a cam.
And you should have enough left after the cam to get that shifter.

rjoffe
03-19-09, 11:12 AM
Shocks, sways, strutt bars ...

All depends what you want to do. Do you track it, just run it straight, Show car ??

SoSueMe
03-19-09, 11:13 AM
CAM that bitch. Or just save a bit more and....MAGGIE that bitch!
:cool2:

Tony

BTW I don't think you'll be happy with an intake manifold without a cam.
And you should have enough left after the cam to get that shifter.

So then i should look into a manifold and a cam... i wouldnt know where to start for the cam.. i dont want anything too crazy, since i want to keep driving this thing daily... but i want it to be bad ass!:lildevil:

CadiBlk
03-19-09, 11:16 AM
Doctornic (that spelled right?) has a recent thread discussing his cam decisions and he has much in common with you. He also wants his cam option to be reliable and he lives in your neck of the woods. Look it up for much cam discussion.

smoothq
03-19-09, 11:17 AM
If you are mechanically inclind then with that money you can buy some 5.3L stage 2.5 heads a mild cam or agressive your personal preferance and then you can still have enough to buy push rods gaskets timing chain and even some 39lb injectors. After that you should only be around $2100 and that leaves you $400 plus I am sure you can save another $100 by then and then go get it tuned for $500. So then you would have about 440 -450rwhp for about $2600 tuned, this is only if you and a buddy could do a head and cam job. Just my two cents, I have been looking into it for a long time and prices keep getting cheaper. Also the only place I have been able to find stuff this cheap was texasspeedshop everywhere else was much more expensive.

Twitch
03-19-09, 11:30 AM
So then i should look into a manifold and a cam... i wouldnt know where to start for the cam.. i dont want anything too crazy, since i want to keep driving this thing daily... but i want it to be bad ass!:lildevil:
I think the fast 90 is around $800ish, and the TB is a few hundred. Add the cam, and you'll be over budget.
Go back a few pages, someone was asking about tuners in Fl. If you can find someone that does re-tunes cheap, then you can add the intake later.
With your mods, and a mild cam, I assume you can get near 400rwhp.

Check me out. Giving advise about N/A :cookoo:

Just Maggie it. More power than a cam, and super driveable. Just give it a little gas, and the torque PUUULLS the car. Lots of fun, even when your not beating on it. I think N/A you have to get on it to really feel the gains.

bandit6678
03-19-09, 11:31 AM
i hear camhelp@guerragroup.com would be able to custom order you exactly what your looking for. just use there build sheet to tell them exactly what your looking for and theyll give you a build sheet for the specs youll want for like $25. that or look for trukk's epic cam adventure

CTSV_510
03-19-09, 11:41 AM
If I were you I would get a cam. You should be able to get one installed and tuned with pushrods, springs, seals, fluids, etc. for about $2000. Another $250 or so will get you an upgraded or ported oil pump and an LS2 timing chain.

rand49er
03-19-09, 12:17 PM
You say, $2,500 for mods this month? Heck, wait another month and get a maggie! :yup:

SoSueMe
03-19-09, 12:27 PM
Awesome! Thanks for all the info everyone... i am definitely going to look into perhaps spending a little more than the 2500 and getting the intake, TB and the cam... going to go read that other thread about my cam options now.. thanks again guys!

SoSueMe
03-19-09, 12:31 PM
You say, $2,500 for mods this month? Heck, wait another month and get a maggie! :yup:

I might just wait.. business has been good lately and it doesnt seem to be letting up... question then becomes what mods do i need in order to go with a maggie?

Twitch
03-19-09, 12:40 PM
question then becomes what mods do i need in order to go with a maggie?
NOTHING!
You won't need it, but I suggest a meth kit. Problem with Maggie, is that heat soak robs power. A meth kit will bring intake temps down, so you could stay at peak power. About $300-$600. You can always get it down the road.

SoSueMe
03-19-09, 12:48 PM
NOTHING!
You won't need it, but I suggest a meth kit. Problem with Maggie, is that heat soak robs power. A meth kit will bring intake temps down, so you could stay at peak power. About $300-$600. You can always get it down the road.

at risk at sounding completely stupid :thepan: where's a good place to go look into a meth kit? (again thanks for all the info) :worship:

Twitch
03-19-09, 01:01 PM
at risk at sounding completely stupid :thepan: where's a good place to go look into a meth kit? (again thanks for all the info) :worship:
Everybody recomends Alkycontol. I think it was $500-$550. I got turned off when I found out that they charged you like $80 for the braded hose.
I ended up going with coolingmist for a little over $300. It's still cold here, so I don't know how well it works yet. But for my simple application, it should be fine.

Cowan480
03-19-09, 01:44 PM
My two cents...

Im with 510 on this one... if you want to stay in budget..I would do the following..
1. Shifter
2. Cam
3. Pushrods
4. Springs
5. Tune (a good tune that is)

If you wait:
Maggie > $5,000, but totally worth it!!

rand49er
03-19-09, 02:52 PM
NOTHING!
You won't need it, but I suggest a meth kit. Problem with Maggie, is that heat soak robs power. A meth kit will bring intake temps down, so you could stay at peak power. About $300-$600. You can always get it down the road.And, this from the guy who doesn't have headers. :helpless:

Seriously, though, Tony's right. You really don't anything more. HOWEVER, you might want a dyno tune, and you could go nuts and get the meth kit, a smaller drive pulley, and so forth. It doesn't stop.

(Pssst! :shhh: Cowan is right ... you need a shifter before anything else!)

MescalVto
03-19-09, 03:10 PM
I might just wait.. business has been good lately and it doesnt seem to be letting up... question then becomes what mods do i need in order to go with a maggie?

Ummm , sorry to go off topic, but, I have to ask . . .
What kind of business has been good and growing lately? maybe foreclosure related services . . .

whisler151
03-19-09, 03:20 PM
Eibach springs, powdercoat your wheels flat black and add a mean Cam! A local shop is doing full cam jobs with tune for $1500.

rand49er
03-19-09, 03:20 PM
Undertaker?

whisler151
03-19-09, 03:23 PM
What kind of business has been good and growing lately? maybe foreclosure related services . . .

The legal industry is doing well in DFW. More and more people suing each other, companies getting pissed and suing another one, sales people trying to be sneaky and taking intellectual property with them when they get a new job.

CBVLS6
03-19-09, 04:15 PM
Jeez has this turned into a cam vs. maggie thread.

I am taking my car into Vengeance Racing in ATL for a cam install. I have always gone F/I in the past and I wanted to stay NA for a change.

I just got an estimate from VR and I will be well under 2500, around 1500 actually with all the parts, tuning, & labor. I am more than likely going to get the VRX4 cam 228/230 .588/.592 112 LSA. 1900-6700 RPM Power Band
or the VRX5 236/238 .601/.605 113 LSA. 2100-6800 RPM Power Band. With that kind of price you could even throw a FAST 90 intake on the car and maybe even a new TB.

I have Kook's 1 3/4, off-road connections, and a Magnaflow on the car, as well as a p/p 78mm stock TB. I will be into the 400's with the new cam and from what I have seen very reliably and streetable, my car is a DD as well.

Good luck spending your cash, anyway you choose to spend it on V performance your going to be happy with it.

Cowan480
03-19-09, 04:57 PM
Ron must be hooking you up!! That's sounds like a kick a$$ deal!!!

I know you will get a good tune there! 495 wrhp at VR

CTSV_510
03-19-09, 05:03 PM
$1500 is a ridiculous price for parts, tuning and labor for a cam install!!!! I would be making an appointment if they were close to me.

Twitch
03-19-09, 06:21 PM
Jeez has this turned into a cam vs. maggie thread.

Well YEAH :duh: don't they all???

Hey even the Maggie guys told him to do a cam for that budget. But if he wants to save a lil........

CadiBlk
03-19-09, 06:29 PM
Enjoy that maggie, I'll pass you when you miss a shift and bounce off the limiter, while my UUC clicks ever so nicely into place.

CTSV_510
03-19-09, 06:45 PM
Enjoy that maggie, I'll pass you when you miss a shift and bounce off the limiter, while my UUC clicks ever so nicely into place.

:cynic:

ccextra1976
03-19-09, 06:53 PM
1) shifter/bushings
2) custom spec cam (PatG)
3) springs/pushrods etc
4) killer set of shaft mount adjustable rockers
5) dyno tune
6) ported throttle body (katech)
7) some rear end goodies!! (front diff mount...craddle bushings/washer etc)

ctsv154
03-19-09, 09:33 PM

Well there's not really a kit. You have to go buy something that contains pseudoefedrin. Then go to you local parts store and buy some...........oh.............OH........ not that kind of meth. Sorry

Ak Jim
03-19-09, 09:50 PM
FLYWHEEL/aluminum/one each.

Claimslngr
03-19-09, 09:57 PM
Well there's not really a kit. You have to go buy something that contains pseudoefedrin. Then go to you local parts store and buy some...........oh.............OH........ not that kind of meth. Sorry

:worship::worship::worship:

I don't care who you is that is some funny sh*t!
:lol:

deedubb
03-20-09, 10:06 AM
$1500 is a ridiculous price for parts, tuning and labor for a cam install!!!! I would be making an appointment if they were close to me.
Yeah no kidding...same here :drool:

ctsv154
03-20-09, 10:40 AM
If you do it yourself you can save over 500 dollars very easily. Especially if you bought on off the shelf cam. Its really not that hard guys. Then use the 500 to go buy something like a Kars kit if they ever get made again.

SoSueMe
03-20-09, 11:33 AM

I have my own law firm... criminal defense mostly, but we also do foreclosure defense and loan modifications... business is booming..