: 4T80E solenoid shift replacement

El Diggy
03-19-09, 12:24 AM
About to try to change the shift solenoids in a 4T80E, Has anyone done this job before? Any info or diagrams I could get my hands on would greatly be appreciated.:hmm:

03-19-09, 12:52 AM
The job is fairly easy. Make sure you get the shift solenoid kit. That come's with the bracket. Do a search around for some stuff. The job is a big MESS! But its really not hard. As long as you have somthing to go by. I did it without a torque wrench.

Im assuming your replacing shift a and b solenoids?

03-19-09, 12:46 PM
Definitely do a search. I seem to recall a tutorial on it. Might be in the Tech Tips section. Be advised that there are (I think) 9 steel spring loaded check balls in the valve body when you open it up, so be very careful and note where they are.

El Diggy
03-19-09, 01:02 PM
Thanks for the info. I have the Chilton repair manual and it doesn't have the procedure in it, so until I find something in a post or atleast a diagram I'm not going to try it, I heard alot about people have problems with the check balls and I don't want to be one of them.

03-19-09, 01:16 PM
There are a couple threads on it.

It is easy to overtighten the valve body bolts so an inch/pound torque wrench is highly recommended.

The new bracket holds the solenoids in so make sure you install it. The solenoids coming loose is the primary cause of failure.

03-19-09, 01:31 PM
I have the Chilton repair manual and...

Throw it in the trash and buy a FSM.

04-11-10, 11:14 PM
no one wants to actually post where the procedure is just that its easy to find but 3 hours later still nothing for me

04-11-10, 11:45 PM
I assume you checked the Tech Tips section? Maybe this will help.

04-12-10, 12:21 AM

Could you make a sticky out of the linked thread?

Could you cut and paste the instructions and add the pdf's, then make a sticky in tech tips so we could find it easily?

Maybe a sticky that just has the link to the linked one and if we find one of the other threads with instructions we could add it?

Whatever is easier. :)

04-12-10, 10:07 AM
General Cadillac Discussion, Cadillac Tech Tips. 2 minutes of page checks. P.5, 09-08-07. Code P094, shift A solenoid...........

99.999% of questions asked are already answered in the pages of Tech Tips.

04-12-10, 12:20 PM
If it's in the Tech Tips I'll just leave well enough alone. If I keep making sticky's for all these things we'll wind up with pages of them and be more better off than we are now. I guess we'll just have to teach people to find them or post the links for them.