: sounds like an old ten speed

mthake
03-18-09, 09:34 PM
when I let off the gas at any speed, I get a real faint clicking sounds that sounds like the wheel on a ten speed bike is just spinning, and the chain is clicking. Still runs okay, just a couple times it did surge a bit. Still has plenty of power??:cookoo: its at the dealer now, any ideas though??

Northern SRX
03-19-09, 06:09 AM
I've heard that sound on previous cars - always turned out to be a bad speedo cable.

Good luck with yours.

TSS
03-19-09, 08:36 AM
^^ sometimes that, sometimes a loose wheel weight or mis-positioned valve stem. Under acceleration, the engine drowns out the noise, when foot off the gas, it is noticeable.

The Wrench
03-20-09, 11:13 AM
Yeah, could be the speedo; cars don't use cables for the speedo now, just electro-magnetic sensors, but the speedo can still make that clicking noise internally. My Mercedes did it, replaced the speedo, all fixed.
Also, I heard such a noise one day when the lug nuts were left loose on one of the wheels - ouch!

DG

mthake
03-20-09, 08:45 PM
WTF! got it back from the dealer today, the oil was too low. it was only 2300 miles since oil change and the oil was too low???? apparently the oil level triggers the crank sensor and adjust the timing some how,hmm. Oh well, that problem is fixed, but now on to the oil consumption issue. :thepan:

spudweb
06-20-09, 03:05 PM
when I let off the gas at any speed, I get a real faint clicking sounds that sounds like the wheel on a ten speed bike is just spinning, and the chain is clicking. Still runs okay, just a couple times it did surge a bit. Still has plenty of power??:cookoo: its at the dealer now, any ideas though??

Did you ever figure out what that strange noise was? I'm having a similar problem.

mthake
06-20-09, 03:11 PM
it was something with the crank sensor clicking. with the oil being so low, it was not covering the sensor and thus, the running problems. sounded weird to me, but filling it with oil fixed the problem and has not returned.:cookoo: