: getting better at launching this beast

SRT8/BMW
03-18-09, 10:22 PM
not that this V was made for drag racing--but it does hold its own there.

Getting ready for spring and the track--launching is getting better--not a gimme in this car by any stretch.

RapidRob
03-18-09, 10:57 PM
^^^^ NIIICCCE!:thumbsup:

Auto or manual?

Rob

Fubar75207
03-18-09, 11:02 PM
4.04 what?

aceofblitz
03-18-09, 11:05 PM
4.04 what?

Seconds..
0-60...
I think.

concorso
03-18-09, 11:37 PM
Is that 4 Canadian or US seconds? ;)

AZstar
03-19-09, 04:04 AM
Is that 4 Canadian or US seconds? ;)

Well, the current exchange rate is 1.246 so that's like 3.24 US seconds. :confused: :)

SRT8/BMW
03-19-09, 06:46 AM
LOL. You boyz crack me up. Its 0-60. 4.04 seconds, and its
an auto. Best time yet is 3.95. Going to road trip saturday- Detroit to Kilcare Dragway in Ohio. looking forward to seeing a few baseline 1/4 miles stock, before we add the tune.

wait4me
03-19-09, 10:35 AM
WOW good luck at the track!

What tire pressures, hints to actually get it to that 4 second mark?

SRT8/BMW
03-19-09, 10:45 AM
WOW good luck at the track!

What tire pressures, hints to actually get it to that 4 second mark?

didn't change them from street set up--32psi all the way around. At the track I will try to go with 28 or so in the back and 35-36 up front.

It can be launched a lot harder than that 4.04 launch, if I can get traction. So if track is prepped and tires are right--I can envision a much harder launch

Kadonny
03-19-09, 11:12 AM
You still stock? Nice times ;)

aceofblitz
03-19-09, 12:30 PM
I hope we dont have to worry about half-shafts like the SRT8 :P

Cub Cadet
03-19-09, 01:45 PM
LOL. You boyz crack me up. Its 0-60. 4.04 seconds, and its
an auto. Best time yet is 3.95. Going to road trip saturday- Detroit to Kilcare Dragway in Ohio. looking forward to seeing a few baseline 1/4 miles stock, before we add the tune.

If you are heading over to Xenia, why not go a bit further and try Norwalk Raceway? They have the best track prep in the state and I have always run my best times there. The next track that even comes close to that facility is National Trail down in Columbus.

SRT8/BMW
03-19-09, 03:33 PM
If you are heading over to Xenia, why not go a bit further and try Norwalk Raceway? They have the best track prep in the state and I have always run my best times there. The next track that even comes close to that facility is National Trail down in Columbus.

where is that--and will they be open for test and tune this saturday? I would go if so .....

and yes--still stock. I want to get baseline 1/4 miles in, then tune, and compare.

SRT8/BMW
03-19-09, 03:43 PM

just looked it up..they are actually closer. but don't open for another MONTH!!!:crying:

Nutz
03-19-09, 03:47 PM
Summit Motorsports Park (Norwalk's) phone number: 419-668-5555. Off state Rt.250 about 10-15 minutes south of Sandusky/Cedar Point area.
Doubt they have test and tune, but if yes PM me. Weather is supposed to be great.

SRT8/BMW
03-19-09, 06:06 PM
Summit Motorsports Park (Norwalk's) phone number: 419-668-5555. Off state Rt.250 about 10-15 minutes south of Sandusky/Cedar Point area.
Doubt they have test and tune, but if yes PM me. Weather is supposed to be great.

that is good to know for future--closer than Xenia. But even our tracks here in michigan are open before Norwalk??

your going to love your SRT8 by the way. If you ever want any scoop on mods, let me know.

Nutz
03-19-09, 07:09 PM
that is good to know for future--closer than Xenia. But even our tracks here in michigan are open before Norwalk??

your going to love your SRT8 by the way. If you ever want any scoop on mods, let me know.
I'll keep that offer on the Challenger in mind thanks. I will also keep you in mind for this summer, we rent the track 3 to 4 times a year and thrash on our toys. The last time was in september, I brought my bike for that one (you can see the run on my youtube channel). This summer my friend is renting Dragway 42 on July 23rd for a birthday bash, everything from 60's muscle cars with old "pipe dreams" custom paintjobs to new stuff like Z06's, vipers and Shelby GT500's.:thumbsup:

UAEmonster
03-27-09, 11:33 AM
Thats cool to get 4 seconds on this monster , but what mode u were using in Traction ? Competitive ? or Off ??
and u rev up before launch ?!

Thanks

SRT8/BMW
03-27-09, 06:06 PM
Thats cool to get 4 seconds on this monster , but what mode u were using in Traction ? Competitive ? or Off ??
and u rev up before launch ?!

Thanks

COMPETITIVE MODE--traction control completely off. Sport mode on tranny, holding around 1000 rpms till last second then hard roll into the throttle. thats whats worked best for me anyway.

concorso
03-28-09, 12:57 PM
IIRC, you were the one who posted a video at the track last summer, with you in your modifed 335 against a preproduction V?
I finally got to drive a modified 335xi this past weekend. It has full exhuast, a downpipe and a Vishnu tune. I honestly wasnt prepared for how hard this car launches! It was slightly wet out, and there was still only a slight chirp before it took off. Impressive! Id love to see BMW put the same awd system in the 135...200lbs less weight with the same modifed power would be even more fun. The last rwd car I drove that launched that hard had drag slicks and was drag tracked prepped.
Im still getting a V coupe, but Id love to pick up one of the 335xi's used...

BlackLight
03-28-09, 11:56 PM
I used to have a 2001 Lightning, and could get 1.90 or 1.95 s 60' times pretty consistently. If you brake torque to higher rpm than ~1000, you would get wheelspin and slower times. It had 295/45-18 tires, weighed ~4600lbs, but was of course a lot lighter at the rear.

I am so looking forward to getting this car... :getaway:

CadV
03-29-09, 12:42 AM
not that this V was made for drag racing--but it does hold its own there.

Getting ready for spring and the track--launching is getting better--not a gimme in this car by any stretch.

Get wait4me trans tune it will make a huge difference.

SRT8/BMW
03-29-09, 02:50 PM
IIRC, you were the one who posted a video at the track last summer, with you in your modifed 335 against a preproduction V?
I finally got to drive a modified 335xi this past weekend. It has full exhuast, a downpipe and a Vishnu tune. I honestly wasnt prepared for how hard this car launches! It was slightly wet out, and there was still only a slight chirp before it took off. Impressive! Id love to see BMW put the same awd system in the 135...200lbs less weight with the same modifed power would be even more fun. The last rwd car I drove that launched that hard had drag slicks and was drag tracked prepped.
Im still getting a V coupe, but Id love to pick up one of the 335xi's used...

yes...that was me. yesterday, at Kil-kare dragway--I got to race my BMW against the V a couple times. (My girl LOVES to race--and she is every bit the driver I am and weighs 70lb. less!). They both ran 12.4s but the BMW got me at the tree--1.8 60 ft versus 1.9s and 2.0s and finished first both times. V out trapped it though, 116-111.

Yes--at a stoplight your going to need something amazing to beat that BMW with tune/downpipes. Grand cherokee srt8s get beat off tree by it..its just sick. From a roll--V kicks it pretty darn good.

SRT8/BMW
03-29-09, 03:02 PM
Get wait4me trans tune it will make a huge difference.

tune coming--probably intake as well. 520 ish rwhp is good enough for me--don't want to mess with this cars incredible balance.

Leaning toward dyno/custom tune though. Wait4me has some good sounding stuff..but unless I have missed it--not much in the way of details. Dyno of just a tune etc..

CadV
03-29-09, 03:18 PM
tune coming--probably intake as well. 520 ish rwhp is good enough for me--don't want to mess with this cars incredible balance.

Leaning toward dyno/custom tune though. Wait4me has some good sounding stuff..but unless I have missed it--not much in the way of details. Dyno of just a tune etc..

I was referring to a transmission tune if you got an auto. wait4me has posted individual mod dyno sheets for all the mods he has. He even has some videos showing the dynos:
http://www.youtube.com/user/wait4meperformance

wait4me tune 30-50rwhp
wait4me airbox mod 20rwhp
wait4me exhaust 18rwhp
blower pulley swap around 70rwhp
crank pulley swap 100rwhp but not positive

Give him a call

SRT8/BMW
03-29-09, 04:12 PM
I was referring to a transmission tune if you got an auto. wait4me has posted individual mod dyno sheets for all the mods he has. He even has some videos showing the dynos:
http://www.youtube.com/user/wait4meperformance

wait4me tune 30-50rwhp
wait4me airbox mod 20rwhp
wait4me exhaust 18rwhp
blower pulley swap around 70rwhp
crank pulley swap 100rwhp but not positive

Give him a call

I will--thank you!

Richie18
03-29-09, 06:57 PM
Is anyone looking into putting or has anyone found any information on putting a wider tire in the rear? Would like to see what better times might be achieved.

UAEmonster
03-30-09, 04:53 AM
COMPETITIVE MODE--traction control completely off. Sport mode on tranny, holding around 1000 rpms till last second then hard roll into the throttle. thats whats worked best for me anyway.

That's cool , but if u r turning the traction OFF , don't u get wheel SPIN !!?
is it better to launch with the Traction OFF than Competitive ??!

Richie18
03-30-09, 11:05 AM

He's modulating the throttle as he see fits, instead of having the traction control reel him in. So while he may have more wheel spin than is desired on some passes he can still finish the pass.

SRT8/BMW
03-30-09, 01:13 PM

you can try that--I never have. Its been my experience that TC just shuts the car down and substantially reduces the 1/4 mile performance.

as it is--TC doesn't really shut all the way off--its still there and if you launch too hard it kicks in and pulls timing and kills your time.

UAEmonster
03-30-09, 01:31 PM
But what i know about the TC in the new 2009 CTS-V is that it is advanced Management Traction Control, and Competitive mode won't shuts the car down , coz it allows the car to have the best launch, and it ALMOST turns traction off with no wheel spin and keeps some stability control intervention !

Is these information right ?!?!

and actually i tried to launch the car in Competitive mode while i was racing with the Lancer Evo X (2009) , and i didnt feel it shuts the car down ,, i dont know actually if it did .., but i didnt feel it !