: Battery not charging notice again...after alt. replacement?

1FASTSS
03-18-09, 11:56 AM
Well, I had the battery checked and it was fine and they said that the alternator was intermit charge and then stop...so I replaced the alt this weekend and now this morning the damn notice came on again?

What do I need to check now? The only other thing I can think of is that the HID fog kit I got is the only change I've made to the car and this started not long after I installed it?

I just used one of the ebay 9006 conversion kits? I guess I'll pull them out and go back to stock lights and see if that works.

heavymetals
03-18-09, 01:35 PM
You did try a new battery right?

1FASTSS
03-18-09, 01:39 PM
I had the one I have in there now checked and it was fine. I can put in the yellow top optima from my camaro to see...just not sure that the hell is going on?

heavymetals
03-18-09, 01:46 PM
The OEM battery is a POS.

Try a new/different battery.

1FASTSS
03-18-09, 01:52 PM
The OEM battery is a POS.

Try a new/different battery.

Yeah i know. I just replaced it about a year ago. Its not the orginal stock battery.

Twitch
03-18-09, 02:06 PM
You don't have an underdrive pulley, do you?

1FASTSS
03-18-09, 02:12 PM
You don't have an underdrive pulley, do you?

Nope. 100% stock accessories.

The only thing I've changed is add the HID fogs. Would a bad or crappy ballast cause problems with the whole elec system?

heavymetals
03-18-09, 02:14 PM
A crappy ballast might tax the system, but I don't think it is the cause of your problem.

1FASTSS
03-18-09, 02:20 PM
A crappy ballast might tax the system, but I don't think it is the cause of your problem.

Yeah, I was just thinking that since it's interment that it might cause it but your probably right. I might unplug it and see if it helps at all.

I'm just running out of idea of things to check.

AlmostAV
03-18-09, 02:30 PM
Ive had this issue for some time..like 50,000 miles...alternator and battery are still fine. Im at 75,000 miles now on the car. Still no issues. Im pretty sure this is a ground wires issue.

1FASTSS
03-18-09, 02:36 PM
Really becuase when I tested my alt it did show that it was bearly chaging the battery when it came on and then went back to normal. You've been driving it this way for ~50K?

What did the dealer do for you? I do not have a warranty anymore so I am on my own.

ctsv154
03-18-09, 03:04 PM
Really becuase when I tested my alt it did show that it was bearly chaging the battery when it came on and then went back to normal. You've been driving it this way for ~50K?

What did the dealer do for you? I do not have a warranty anymore so I am on my own.

This could easily be caused by bad ground. I would check everything. There are a bunch of grounds. They all attach to the heads but I'm not sure were they attach to chassis.

ichpen
03-18-09, 04:33 PM
Wiring harness? At least that was the problem on mine.... Also, PCM issues. Did you do a PCM swap?

1FASTSS
03-18-09, 04:45 PM
I looked over and checked as many ground as I could. Even though I replaced the alt the power wire in the back was a touch loose and thought that might have been it but its tight now. I will check it when I unplug the HID's.

Not aftermarket PCM or anything. Only aftermarket parts are CAI/Mufflers/tint.

I will start tracing the grounds off the heads and checking those as well but I think I looked at them. I found 2.

Twitch
03-18-09, 04:56 PM
I remember someone posting that the starter connections were getting burned.
:hmm: Dunno, just thought I'd throw that out there.

1FASTSS
03-18-09, 05:12 PM
I remember someone posting that the starter connections were getting burned.
:hmm: Dunno, just thought I'd throw that out there.

Do you remember if it was it causing the same problem I had. I searched and everything I found I pretty much have looked at already.:ill:

1FASTSS
03-19-09, 09:40 AM
Well, last night on my way to pick up my new N20 kit of my camaro the light came on and stayed on for a while and put some drain on the battery...then it went out and then came back a couple more times...so when I got home I unhooked the HID fog kit and put the stock bulbs back in and the light hasn't come back since. I am going to wait until the end of the weekend and see if this is the problem and if it is a word of warning to those who purchase the ebay hid kits that they are not worth a crap...

Kmajecki
03-19-09, 10:35 AM
I installed an HID kit for the headlights and fogs in my jeep on Sunday. This morning it would not start and i had to use the V to jump it. I'm wondering if the HID kit could have caused this. The thing that seems weird to me is i drive home and i would assume the battery is fully charged by the time i get home. The same amount of time passed between shutting it down and night and starting it up in the morning all week. If it was the kit, any small drain would have been consistent right? I mean if the truck sat 8 hours over night and was fine for 4 days in a row, why would it be an issue on the 5th day? Unless it's the battery?

Kmajecki
03-19-09, 10:37 AM
1FastSS, what brand of HID did you get? Does it say Xentec on the transformer?

ctsv154
03-19-09, 10:39 AM
I was the one with the burned starter wires but those were from headers and it never caused any problems. It was just radiant heat that killed the insulation. They never came into contact with anything.

Kmajecki
03-19-09, 11:07 AM
My starter/alternator wire got burned by my headers too and fortunately did not arc a hole through the header, but there was a little spot where you could see there was some arching. My V would come up and say battery not charging off and on. I fixed the wire, replaced the alternator and all was fine. There's a cheap plastic clip that came loose and dropped the wire directly on the header. Cheap part caused an expensive fix

Twitch
03-19-09, 11:16 AM
Do you remember if it was it causing the same problem I had. I searched and everything I found I pretty much have looked at already.:ill:
I just thought of it when we were talking about bad connections. Don't remember much about it, but if you can get under the car, it's easy to check and rule that out.

My starter/alternator wire got burned by my headers too and fortunately did not arc a hole through the header, but there was a little spot where you could see there was some arching. My V would come up and say battery not charging off and on. I fixed the wire, replaced the alternator and all was fine. There's a cheap plastic clip that came loose and dropped the wire directly on the header. Cheap part caused an expensive fix
Not sure if it was header related. I thought it was something that could happen to anybody. It might have been that plastic clip.
Its worth taking a few minutes to check though.

Kmajecki
03-19-09, 11:21 AM
Yea i dont see why it would only be caused by headers. Stock manifolds get hot too! I wrapped the wire in electrical tape, then put a spark plug heat shield boot over the wire. Somehow i got the alternator covered under warranty too :D Sounds like this really could be the problem. I'd check that wire before you hurt a perfectly good alternator

http://www.heatshieldproducts.com/products/i-boot_pic.jpg

1FASTSS
03-19-09, 11:26 AM
1FastSS, what brand of HID did you get? Does it say Xentec on the transformer?

I'm pretty sure that's the same one I was using. I can double check tonight since I just pulled the bulbs and zip tied up all the connections for now. If it this seems to fix the problem them I will pull them off when I replace the pass side ballast. I put the hid fogs in mostly because the headlight went out and I was having problem figuring out what went wrong with that...

I would stop by auto zone or adv. auto and have them pull out the machine and check both the battery and alt. If they tell you its the alt. then pull it off the car and have them check it on the other machine. For some reason adv auto didn't have the right apt. for the V alt so they were having problem checking my stock one.

Its seems to me that the kit cause some sort of ?pulse in the system and affected the alt...which showed up as a bad alt. when tested on the car...I still need to confirm this with testing the old alt. but its my best guess as to right now...

At least my engine bay got the cleaning of a lifetime since I had the rad/fans/etc all out of the car to replace the alt.

1FASTSS
03-19-09, 11:47 AM
Yea i dont see why it would only be caused by headers. Stock manifolds get hot too! I wrapped the wire in electrical tape, then put a spark plug heat shield boot over the wire. Somehow i got the alternator covered under warranty too :D Sounds like this really could be the problem. I'd check that wire before you hurt a perfectly good alternator

http://www.heatshieldproducts.com/products/i-boot_pic.jpg

I checked all the wires when I changed the alt. All were good. My alt is cover under a lifetime warranty thru Autozone. If it goes out becuse of this then they will replace it...its a brand new delco alt too.

Kmajecki
03-19-09, 12:23 PM
Well damn, maybe it is the HID kit :( Guess i'll get that battery checked after all.

1FASTSS
03-19-09, 12:39 PM
Well damn, maybe it is the HID kit :( Guess i'll get that battery checked after all.

Have them check the alt also. If they say that the battery is good and the alt is bad then pull the alt and have it checked on the stand first. If its bad then you'll need a alt otherwise I would undo the HID's and see if it clears up.:thumbsup:

heavymetals
03-19-09, 01:41 PM
You didn't say you installed a rebuilt alternator.

I used to have to go through two (at least) to get a "good one" when I was changing them out (my old car).

1FASTSS
03-19-09, 02:34 PM
They told me it was going to be a delco rebuilt but they got a new one insted. They had problem with their supplier and got this one insted for the same price.