: Transmission Oil change at your "local" lube center? Penzoil?

pcguy760
03-18-09, 11:17 AM
I am considering getting my transmission oil changed at my local lube center so I thought I would ask you Caddy guru's if this is okay to do or is it best to go to the dealership. My vehicle is definately out of warranty lol and it seemed like the previous owner did not really take care of the oil changes so I want to get this done asap. I was gonna use the guide in here but I have no time at all right now to do it...

When I talked to the lube center on the phone he mentioned they used Penzoil tranny fluid for an 02 Escalade... Is that any good? Now I did go to Penzoil website and they do make Dexron III / GM approved tranny fluid. Also, the guy at the lube center said that they look up the specs and decide which Penzoil to use (They only use Penzoil on everything I guess lol).

What do you guys think? Is $80 a good deal for a tranny flush and fill at a non-caddy specific service center?

oldworld
03-18-09, 11:25 AM
I am surprised the "shop" didn't suggest a tranny flush. They still might.
While the dealer may do it right 75% of the time, it comes with the steepest price usually.
Your local tranny shop would have the best experience, rather than the local quick lube shop that offers tons of "extras...."

The tranny shop by me charges under a $100 for a road test, drop the pan, clean, new filter and gasket and new fluid. I think the last one for my wifes car was $89.

I always add a container of lucas for the transmission. This stuff does wonders.
You can also opt for synthetic tranny fluid, which I know couldn't hurt. Its more $$$$ for sure. I don't have an experience with that, but I am sure some others here mught be able to shed some light on it.
My two cents lol

pcguy760
03-18-09, 11:33 AM
LOL, I just edited my post - yeah he did suggest a flush and fill and I talked to a few people who have been there before and they said they have never had a problem (this is why I called them hehe).

Oh btw, I heard GREAT things about that Lucas stuff so I might get some and have them put it in too. Is this the one you are talking about, in the big white bottle?

https://www.racerpartswholesale.com/images/uploads/3139_1313_large.jpg

oldworld
03-18-09, 11:44 AM
Thats the one!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guyz1996deville
03-18-09, 12:29 PM
Stay away from the flush. Drop the pan and change the filter and fluid. Flush is like shooting with dirty needles,

oldworld
03-18-09, 12:42 PM
I agree............no flush.
There is a thread at the top of the page that gives some great advice to rid all the old tranny fluid from the vehicle while replacing with new. That way will not cause any damage.
There is also another thread on here I read not long ago really saying "NO" to trans flush.
:thepan:

pcguy760
03-19-09, 11:51 AM
lol@oldword for beatin me upside the head with his frypan!

Ok I will do it myself according to the thread up here lol, since I do have alot of time next week. I also want to replace the filter and gasket so should I change that first and THEN use the method at the top of the forum or should I do the opposite?

Is it okay to use an OEM replacement filter and gasket from Autozone, etc. or does it HAVE to be from GM?

Guyz1996deville
03-19-09, 12:52 PM
Get your filter and gasket kit from gmpartsdirect.com. You will save money there too.....

pcguy760
03-20-09, 02:23 AM
Ok, as my original question - does it REALLY HAVE TO be a GM filter and gasket??

ratbike1
03-20-09, 08:59 AM
Stay away from the flush. Drop the pan and change the filter and fluid. Flush is like shooting with dirty needles,

LOL, GREAT analogy!:histeric:
And I fully concur; flushing pushes fluid through the trans in a direction is was never supposed to go.

Superjim
03-21-09, 11:01 AM
You flush toilets...not transmissions.

Texas Jim