: I need some wiring schematics for the dash please

ctsv154
03-18-09, 12:32 AM
I'm wiring in the power for boost gauge ang light. I need a hot with ignition on and the power to the dash lights also. If somebody doesn't mind posting them up I would really appreciate it.

CadiBlk
03-18-09, 12:59 AM
pm heavymetals.

heavymetals
03-18-09, 01:49 AM
You can get the brown wire that is the accessory feed 12 volt off the key switch.

Lift the steering column all the way and you can hit it with a SCOTCH splice.

ctsv154
03-18-09, 09:12 AM
What about the dash light circuit? My gauge is electronic so it needs its own power to come on with ignition (the brown wire) but I also want to tap into the dash lights so when I dim the lights, the gauge dims also.

heavymetals
03-18-09, 02:05 PM
I don't have info at hand on the lights.

Sorry.

ctsv154
03-18-09, 10:09 PM
Nobody has a manuel they can look in for me? I know somebody has some because you just bought them out of the classifieds!

ctsv154
03-18-09, 11:02 PM
I guess I'll just keep bumping this up until I finally go down there and find the wire with a meter or somebody post up some schematics.

VforMe
03-18-09, 11:10 PM
I'm not gonna do your dirty work for you, but give this a shot....

http://www.the12volt.com/

ctsv154
03-18-09, 11:18 PM
Nothing for dash lighting. I was just hoping somebody could scan a page from a manual. I can find it with a meter, I'm a cone! Just a lazy cone at the moment. For anybody that doesn't know what a cone is, its a military/aviation term for an avionics tech. Also know as pointy head, cone head, etc, etc......

CTSV_510
03-18-09, 11:24 PM
I've got a manual and it's got wiring schematics out the wazoo.

Let me look...

ctsv154
03-19-09, 08:06 AM
Thanks 510!

VforMe
03-19-09, 09:11 AM
Why don't you post the answer here so that this thread isn't meaningless next time someone does a search.:thumbsup:

ctsv154
03-19-09, 09:41 AM
He didn't send me anything yet. I was just saying thanks for making the offer to at least look for me.:thumbsup:

VforMe
03-19-09, 09:43 AM
dammit....:banghead:

CTSV_510
03-19-09, 10:29 AM
Well I got severely distracting looking through the service manual...I hadn't really looked through it much before and found lots of neat stuff.

Anyway, I can't figure out how to extract the diagrams from the manual to post them here. There are a ton of wiring schematics and I am a :tard: when it comes to that stuff, so I'm afraid of relaying incorrect info to you.

What I did find is that the dimmer switch runs on the PU/WH wire (purple/white???) on the harness running from the console connector to the instrument panel connector. The I/P connector side of the wiring is a 36-pin and the console side is only 8-pin, so you may be able to locate where the console wires tie in behind the I/P. I haven't been able to find another connector that includes the dimmer control yet (or make sense of WTF I'm looking at). I also couldn't find the manual DVD to bring to work, so I'm afraid that's all I have until I get home and have another chance to look around.

If anyone out there knows how to extract pictures/pages of the manual and post them, please let me know.

ctsv154
03-19-09, 11:36 AM
You could always just attach the whole manual to an email and I could take a look at it?:rolleyes:

ctsv154
03-20-09, 10:58 PM
Okay I found some wires myself. I have no clue were they go but I'm using them. Under the dash with the crash panel removed there is a small black box that has 4 2A fuses in it. There is a yellow wire that voltage is only present when the light switch is in anything other than off. The dimmer also has control over how much voltage so this is what I will be tapping into. In the same block there is a pink wire that comes on with ignition and I will use this one to power the gauge itself. If anybody wants pictures for future reference I would be more than happy to take some.

CTSV_Rob
03-21-09, 12:27 AM
Well I got severely distracting looking through the service manual...I hadn't really looked through it much before and found lots of neat stuff.

Anyway, I can't figure out how to extract the diagrams from the manual to post them here. There are a ton of wiring schematics and I am a :tard: when it comes to that stuff, so I'm afraid of relaying incorrect info to you.

What I did find is that the dimmer switch runs on the PU/WH wire (purple/white???) on the harness running from the console connector to the instrument panel connector. The I/P connector side of the wiring is a 36-pin and the console side is only 8-pin, so you may be able to locate where the console wires tie in behind the I/P. I haven't been able to find another connector that includes the dimmer control yet (or make sense of WTF I'm looking at). I also couldn't find the manual DVD to bring to work, so I'm afraid that's all I have until I get home and have another chance to look around.

If anyone out there knows how to extract pictures/pages of the manual and post them, please let me know.
It usually means it's a purple wire with a white stripe. The first color is alwasy the color of the wire and the following colors are the stripes (can be 2 stripes on one wire).

ccextra1976
03-21-09, 12:49 AM
Nothing for dash lighting. I was just hoping somebody could scan a page from a manual. I can find it with a meter, I'm a cone! Just a lazy cone at the moment. For anybody that doesn't know what a cone is, its a military/aviation term for an avionics tech. Also know as pointy head, cone head, etc, etc......

that's the problem with you pointy heads...i can never get you guys out of the office to work...:histeric:

ps doing the diff bushing tomorrow will pm you.once done..again thanks

ctsv154
03-21-09, 02:43 PM
Haha you so funny! You funny man!

Seriously, I'm going to hook these wires up and closing it back up and then it will be to late! Anybody want pics? I may just take them for the hell of it but let me know!

ccextra1976
03-21-09, 03:06 PM
Haha you so funny! You funny man!

Seriously, I'm going to hook these wires up and closing it back up and then it will be to late! Anybody want pics? I may just take them for the hell of it but let me know!

of course we want pics! pu-pu-pu-please

ctsv154
03-21-09, 06:58 PM
http://i42.tinypic.com/sglaj4.jpg

http://i41.tinypic.com/1254c49.jpg

http://i44.tinypic.com/2hmk31y.jpg

I didnt like the rusty crash panel so I painted it black

http://i44.tinypic.com/5nud0l.jpg

ctsv154
03-21-09, 07:02 PM
I also did the DRL delete while I was in there. I didn't get a pic but if you dont want to have to buy another box because you cut yours up, or if you dont want to cut the cars harness, you can open the box and just cut the back of the pin behind the plastic. The plastic holds the pin in so it wont come out. Just cut a very small section out and if you ever wanted to, you could just use a small piece of wire and solder a bridge across the section you cut out.

CTSV_Rob
03-21-09, 08:09 PM
I just cut a trace on the board and it would be easy to fix as well.

ccextra1976
03-21-09, 08:20 PM
where are you mounting the gage? I forgot did you make your own POD?

ctsv154
03-21-09, 10:15 PM
I did make my own pod! Its awesome and looks great! Its covered but its getting re-done. The first was just to get the basics down and get a good pattern that looks good. Now its time to make it look good. I'll get some good pics of it when its complete.

ccextra1976
03-21-09, 11:44 PM
I did make my own pod! Its awesome and looks great! Its covered but its getting re-done. The first was just to get the basics down and get a good pattern that looks good. Now its time to make it look good. I'll get some good pics of it when its complete.

thanks...after reading about the aeroforce gauge I might have to fab something up

YoshiV
03-22-09, 10:55 AM
The dimming feature could be tough to work out. The dimming pot in the overhead sends a reference voltage between 0.9VDC and 5.0VDC back to the BCM which then sends signals via class 2 message on the data bus to all other units (IP, radio, window controls etc) to adjust their intensity to the required level...good luck and godspeed! Install a separate pot and make your own circuit if its that important!

ctsv154
03-22-09, 11:18 AM
I found the reference voltage first and realized I need to find the actual voltage that drives the lights. At the small fuse block I found V runs from about 3V to 12V with the slide of the dimmer so thats what I tied into. It also works off the light sensor in the dash, so when they are on auto, they come on with everything else. The spot I found to tap into is perfect for a gauge! Has ignition only power and the dimming bus for the lights. I picked up both power sources from there. The red a black wires that run off the left side of the pic. The red wire is power for the gauge itself, and black wire is power for the light. I didn't have any other color is why its black but since its not LED it doesn't matter what the polarity is but just so I didn't short anything out I used a female connector on the power and a male on ground.