: Its Time

Speedtrip
03-17-09, 08:54 PM
Got all the parts ( timimng belt and tensioners , oil cooler , valve cover gaskets , water pump , heater control valve , hoses , clamps ) so this week end its time to do the deed . I repaired the popping in the front end , not only was the stabilizer bracket missing but there was a bolt missing on the K-frame ,I managed to get the stripped nut out of the uni body and get it replaced with 5/8 nut and bolt

98 Catera
03-17-09, 09:50 PM
Where might you be doing this at? Location?

Speedtrip
03-18-09, 07:50 AM
I will be doing the work at my house . It should take me a day with out any unfor seen problems , going to change all fluids while Im at it . Just scaned the computer It didnt throw any codes back so its going to be all mechanical maintenance

CateraMV6
03-18-09, 09:06 AM
Wow looks like you got a handfull of stuff to do... should be fun.. .

Dont forget the thermostat while you are at it... its 25$ at autozone and its a pain in the rear end when you try to replace it...

Speedtrip
03-18-09, 09:38 PM
Thermostat was bought this afternoon . Thanks for the reminder . I am still searching for the heater control assembly and also will the later model cd combo fit the 97 dash ? not wanting to go aftermarket eventhough I do have a pioneer nav system that would fit still would want to keep everything pretty much stock on the inside.

Speedtrip
03-22-09, 10:09 PM
Its done , I got the engine tore down and to my belief their was an upgraded timing belt and tensioner already there so that was one obsticle down and $234 back But I did notice a difference in the oil cooler so I did get that changed ,when I was tearing into it I had noticed that some of the clamps had been changed on the back of the engine , factory was spring and others were worm clamps so someone had been back there befor . The biggest problem I had was working around that @@@@ wiring harness that run on the drivers valve cover with all the rest going smooth .

Warez
03-22-09, 11:32 PM
You still should have still changed the belt and tensioner.

ondale
03-23-09, 12:05 AM
Big job indeed. For my 2001 Catera Sport, I just dropped almost $2K in labor to all the work done and another $1k+ in parts. I had bought 2 complete gasket kits, the tensioner/pully/belt kit, Heater Control Valve, Ignition Coils, plugs, water pump and 3 injectors. Don't know why I still like this car, but haven't spent a time on it in over 2+ years. I was just about to hit 90k miles when I took it in for leaking antifreeze and burning oil. I should be good for another 90k miles.