: EXT Ice Chests

ManTruck
03-17-09, 09:22 PM
Just curious. Has anyone tried using the storage comparments on the sides of the EXT as an Ice Chest?

On my '06 they are insulated with a drainage hole at the bottom. Seems like I could take a trash compactor bag, fill it with ice and stock it with some cold drinks during the summer.

Any other unique uses for the bins?

luxurylife33
03-17-09, 10:16 PM
The problem would be carbonated drink getting shaken i think... im sure for water and juice, thats not a bad idea! I use mine to keep a few tools, battery charger, jumper cables and flashlights in case I break down. BTW ... i think GM was def. using their heads when making these bins, its great for things you dont want in the bed and dont want to see everyday, but when u need em, they're right there with plenty of room!!!

ManTruck
03-18-09, 12:44 AM
Totally agree! Great use of space.

I have to admit however, I drove for two weeks before I realized that they were there! Nice surprise once I opened them up!

ratbike1
03-18-09, 08:30 AM
I always thought these were designed to do just that?

davidaugust111
03-18-09, 10:46 PM
They aren't insulated; I do know some guys over on the Avalanche boards have sprayed some expanding foam to do that. I keep too much handy stuff in 'em to want to empty it out for a cooler when I can just put an already insulated real one in the bed.

Lu Scola
03-19-09, 12:45 AM
I have used them as ice chest several times. I now have a fridge built into my midgate but will probably still use the compartments for beer during tailgating/footall season. Thay work great.

ManTruck
03-19-09, 08:57 PM
I like the way you think!! LOL...