: 4.9L NorthStar Performance Upgrades???

cadillac300
07-07-04, 12:13 AM
anyone know where i can get upgrades for my 1992 4.9L Northstar Cadillac Sedan DeVille Touring Edition. Im looking for a cam, lowering springs and any thing else. got 157,500 miles and needs more power its losing power. and does anyone know what the problem could be if im leaking coolant like mad from the passenger side? Got any ideas????

illumina
07-07-04, 12:17 AM
anyone know where i can get upgrades for my 1992 4.9L Northstar Cadillac Sedan DeVille Touring Edition. Im looking for a cam, lowering springs and any thing else. got 157,500 miles and needs more power its losing power. and does anyone know what the problem could be if im leaking coolant like mad from the passenger side? Got any ideas????

4.9 liter n*?????? :hmm:

LacSeville
07-07-04, 12:24 AM
which is it? it can't be a 92 and a N* at the same time!

illumina
07-07-04, 12:28 AM
which is it? it can't be a 92 and a N* at the same time!
i agree, either way, you are pretty much on your own for those type of internal upgrades...especially with the 4.9 liter pushrod motor. however, you can always have a machine shop do a regrind or a new cam from scratch, but there is a lot more involved than just that...such as the ECM, wiring and so on. in other words, save a few (hundred) paychecks and you will be good to go.

illumina
07-07-04, 12:31 AM
got 157,500 miles and needs more power its losing power.
if it is losing that much power, those sorts of things will only kill the motor more quickly. so you may want to consider a rebuild if you are going to do that kind of stuff to it.

illumina
07-07-04, 12:33 AM
and does anyone know what the problem could be if im leaking coolant like mad from the passenger side? Got any ideas???? i would look into all hoses that are associated with cooling on that side bro. you could also have a water pump gasket leak too... but i would look at the simple stuff first.

cadillac300
07-07-04, 01:25 AM
just went and checked it again 4.9L 32V PFI Northstar and its a 1992 after i get the basic stuff fixed what performance upgrades can i do from there? It needs to go faster. I cant even beat a damn chevy mailbu. i love the car to death but it need to go faster.

fast32vsts
07-07-04, 01:42 AM
Where do you come up with 4.9L 32V PFI Northstar? . If it is a sticker than someone stuck that on there. there is no such duck! Click a pic of your engine and someone will tell you what you got. 4.9L and PFI do go together and 32V and Northstar go together but thats it. The Northstar is 4.6L! LOL hope you did not buy a 1992 and was led to belive it has the Northstar, If that is the case then its a case of.. :ripped:

cadillac300
07-07-04, 01:54 AM
i got the car from my grandparents who bought it new and the engine says right on the valve cover 4.9L 32V NorthStar V8 i mean holy $hit how many times do i have to say it, it says it right on the valve covers. It also Says PFI on the Front Valve Cover as well as the back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:want:

ill take a picture and post it tomorrow evening along with the VIN # so that everyone who dosent believe me can decode it for themselves.

Ranger
07-07-04, 06:45 PM
I used to own a '92 Deville. They had 4.9 not a 4.6 Northstar. Northstar wasn't put in the Devilles til '96 (I think). PFI means Port Fuel Injection. both 4.6 & 4.9 have that.

LacSeville
07-07-04, 07:36 PM
cool, i'd like to see some pics! i'll believe you if you give pics and vin! thanks!

cadillac300
07-07-04, 08:30 PM
alright i checked again and it dosent say nortstar but i does say 32V and the only 32V engine that cadillac makes i think is the northstar or maybe a predessor to the northstar??

illumina
07-07-04, 09:00 PM
alright i checked again and it dosent say nortstar but i does say 32V and the only 32V engine that cadillac makes i think is the northstar or maybe a predessor to the northstar??
the only other 32 valve engine that cadillac made was the v-16 way back in the 30's and early 40's, other than that, the 4.9 liter is a standard 16 valve pushrod motor.

BeelzeBob
07-07-04, 11:57 PM

Someone must have stuck a "32 valve" sticker on it....LOL

There is NO SUCH THING AS A 92 NORTHSTAR. It didn't come out until 1993. There is no such thing as a "predecessor" to the Northstar that wouldn't be a Northstar.

If you are positive you have a 92 then it is a 4.9 liter pushrod engine. Can't be a Northstar.

Night Wolf
07-08-04, 12:42 AM
Someone must have stuck a "32 valve" sticker on it....LOL

There is NO SUCH THING AS A 92 NORTHSTAR. It didn't come out until 1993. There is no such thing as a "predecessor" to the Northstar that wouldn't be a Northstar.

If you are positive you have a 92 then it is a 4.9 liter pushrod engine. Can't be a Northstar.

ok, busting chops here.... the Oldsmobile Quad4 (4cyl) is actually a predecessor to the N*... the N* is designed from the Quad4.... long story... actually Oldsmobile first designed the Quad4 and had the rights to the N*, coudln't fund it and Cadillac bought the rights... I have a picture of an Oldsmobile Quad8 (quad= 4 valves/cyl 8= 8cyl) and it looks very similar to the N*...becuase it is the N*..... although Olds claims it is never in existance.... then there is the 4.0 in the Aurora, and the "ShortStar" which is a 3.5L V6 in the Intrigue....

...ok...anyway :) the 1992 DeVille has the regular 4.9 pushrod.... I thought the N* went into the DeVille in '94 in the Concours, while the Sedan DeVille got the 4.9?

BeelzeBob
07-08-04, 01:15 AM
ok, busting chops here.... the Oldsmobile Quad4 (4cyl) is actually a predecessor to the N*... the N* is designed from the Quad4.... long story... actually Oldsmobile first designed the Quad4 and had the rights to the N*, coudln't fund it and Cadillac bought the rights... I have a picture of an Oldsmobile Quad8 (quad= 4 valves/cyl 8= 8cyl) and it looks very similar to the N*...becuase it is the N*..... although Olds claims it is never in existance.... then there is the 4.0 in the Aurora, and the "ShortStar" which is a 3.5L V6 in the Intrigue....

...ok...anyway :) the 1992 DeVille has the regular 4.9 pushrod.... I thought the N* went into the DeVille in '94 in the Concours, while the Sedan DeVille got the 4.9?

All BS. The Quad 4 had NOTHING to do with the Northstar. Nothing. The engines are not even similar in construction when you look at the parts, the timing drive, block, head, etc. Even the cylinder heads and combustion chambers are different. The Quad 4 had an IRON block with main caps. It was not all aluminum, it did not have a "bed plate" lower crankcase design, etc. Different bore centers, bore and stroke. The Quad 4 oil pump is in the pan not on the crank centerline. Much more different. Nothing the same. Totally different engine. About all you can say is that they are both double overhead cam, 4 valve per cylinder engines....but so were a lot of Mercs, Porsche, BMW, etc...engines.

To some extent, ALL dual overhead camshaft engines "look" similar as they are wide, have large cylinder heads and the cam covers have dual bumps in them for the cam clearance. So what?? There are a lot of dual overhead cam engines around......

The picture of the "Quad 8" is just that...a picture of a lashed up V-8 with two Quad 4 heads. So what...?? There is an Allante in the Cadillac museum collection that has a 4.9 block with two Opal 4 valve heads on it....so what? If anything, THAT is a forerunner of the Northstar as it was used to demo the driveability expected of the Northstar in the Allante and to demo the power levels and acceptability of that power level in a FWD car. Yet, no one even considers that engine or cylinder heads to be assodiated with a Northstar as there are so many differences.

The Northstar was designed by Cadillac designers and engineers at the original Cadillac Engineering facility on Scotten Avenue in Detroit , Michigan. Oldsmobile had absolutely NOTHING to do with it. I know. I was there. Period.

The Shortstar was designed by the same team of ex-Cadillac (now GM Powertrain) engineers. It is similar to the Northstar...not the Quad 4. Even the Shortstar is a different engine in many ways....the engine has a completely different timing drive and a balance shaft in the Vee compared to the Northstar without one.

You picked the wrong chops to bust, dude....LOL. I was there and can testify on the witness stand that I KNOW that the Quad 4 and the Northstar engine are not related at all.

94CaddyConcours
07-08-04, 10:57 PM
Where can i find a 4.6l N* engine. Should i rebuild or buy a new one, where can i buy a new engine.:)

LacSeville
07-08-04, 11:09 PM
you'd better have a "stash" either way! I'd just buy a younger 94 concours.

illumina
07-08-04, 11:25 PM
http://www.car-part.com

check this site out, you may get a good one.

94CaddyConcours
07-10-04, 01:53 PM
does anyone know where i can get the code book for my Caddy when i do the dianostic.

Msilva954
07-13-04, 11:51 AM
Couldnt resist...... :deadhorse ......o.k. im done.