: Chattering/Clicking Sound Coming from Front End/Steering. Anyone Else?

GM-4-LIFE
03-17-09, 02:32 PM
This morning I noticed this chattering/clicking sound coming from the front end of the car at very slow speeds, BUT ONLY when the wheels are turned 3/4 to full lock left and right. When the wheels are straight, no noise. I can hear it inside the car and outside the car, it is quite loud.

Anyone else have this issue and what is the fix for it? I made an appointment with my local dealer to have this looked at tomorrow.

It would be nice to tell them what the problem is so they don't spend two days trying to figure it out.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

SG

wait4me
03-17-09, 02:55 PM
When mine does it, it is the blower itself. There is a plastic coupler that is in between the blower snout and rotor assembly. It clicks when the car is at low rpms with no load.

GM-4-LIFE
03-17-09, 03:00 PM
When mine does it, it is the blower itself. There is a plastic coupler that is in between the blower snout and rotor assembly. It clicks when the car is at low rpms with no load.

But mine does it only at low speeds when the wheel is turned either way. It is very odd. Sounds like either the steering shaft or the brakes.

SG

ALQ
03-17-09, 03:08 PM
I've been facing the same thing for a while now, but i only hear the clicking when the steering is turn right, a bit, or full turn.. left, and straight, no noise can be heard..

i've been worried, but didnt check what the problem would be..

GM-4-LIFE
03-17-09, 03:12 PM
I've been facing the same thing for a while now, but i only hear the clicking when the steering is turn right, a bit, or full turn.. left, and straight, no noise can be heard..

i've been worried, but didnt check what the problem would be..

Mine does it on both left and right turns at very low speed. It just started this morning. I either didn't notice it before or it just became an issue.

If anyone has this issue, get it into the dealer so GM can release a technical service bulletin or a recall to get the problem resolved. That is all I can advise as that is what I am doing.

SG

CadV
03-17-09, 03:16 PM
Is the click a metal sound or plastic? Curious if your rubbing on something.

GM-4-LIFE
03-17-09, 03:20 PM
Is the click a metal sound or plastic? Curious if your rubbing on something.

It sounds more like a plastic clicking sound. Metal would sound a lot louder. It is annoying. I just hit 2,000 miles and already the problems started!

SG

Kadonny
03-17-09, 03:36 PM
SG, you are in CA right? I know here in PA, when it's cold out and the tires are cold and you cut the wheels sharply, the tires chatter on the cold pavement. I read somewhere (maybe the tire owners manual or somewhere) that this is normal. It couldn't possibly be that, could it? I've even heard the chatter at 45 degress or so in the morning. When the tires heat up, no problems.

GM-4-LIFE
03-17-09, 03:51 PM
SG, you are in CA right? I know here in PA, when it's cold out and the tires are cold and you cut the wheels sharply, the tires chatter on the cold pavement. I read somewhere (maybe the tire owners manual or somewhere) that this is normal. It couldn't possibly be that, could it? I've even heard the chatter at 45 degress or so in the morning. When the tires heat up, no problems.

I will try it out. It was around 50-60 degrees this morning when it started, but when I tried it late this morning again, it was already in the 70s and it still did it. It is going to be 80 degrees here today, so I will check it again to see if it does it.

Tire grabbing on the pavement sounds different and has kind of a slight grinding feel in the steering wheel. This doesn't have that type of sound/feel.

The thing that baffles me is that it never did it before until today and when it was much colder out, it didn't do it either. There must be something that the tires are hitting that the dealer will hopefully fix.

SG

Razorecko
03-17-09, 03:58 PM
turn your wheels all the way left or right when parked. Than go and rattle your inner fender shields. Maybe one is hitting the wheel or a plastic plug got loose and is flapping agains the wheel on turns.

GM-4-LIFE
03-17-09, 04:31 PM
turn your wheels all the way left or right when parked. Than go and rattle your inner fender shields. Maybe one is hitting the wheel or a plastic plug got loose and is flapping agains the wheel on turns.

I will try it out, but being that it does it on both left and right may signal another problem.

SG

GM-4-LIFE
03-18-09, 08:09 PM
Just wanted to post an update of the problem I had.

Dealer put my V on a lift and turned the wheel and when they did that, a big rock popped out. Apparently a rock got caught somewhere between the wheel, caliper and brake pads. I can't see how that can happen when you are moving, but that is what the problem was.

SG

Hawkeye2
03-19-09, 05:07 AM
Wow, I bet that's a relief. To you, as well as others here. Glad it worked out for you.

GM-4-LIFE
03-19-09, 10:49 AM
Wow, I bet that's a relief. To you, as well as others here. Glad it worked out for you.

You have no idea my friend!

SG

jwa999
03-19-09, 02:57 PM
I experience the same problem. It's not a temperature problem, here in TX. I first noticed it when I was backing out of the driveway turning left. First I thought the tire caught something, but there are no edges in the driveway. The I thought perhaps it was the rear differential not being used to sharp turns in reverse.
I also notice it when I make fast left turns in a roundabout. It feels like the ABS Brake is engaging, click click click, although I wasn't using the brakes. Only happens when going very sharp turns. It is way to regular for it to be a rock or plastic. Definitely coming from the wheels.

UAEmonster
03-25-09, 06:32 AM
This morning I noticed this chattering/clicking sound coming from the front end of the car at very slow speeds, BUT ONLY when the wheels are turned 3/4 to full lock left and right. When the wheels are straight, no noise. I can hear it inside the car and outside the car, it is quite loud.

Anyone else have this issue and what is the fix for it? I made an appointment with my local dealer to have this looked at tomorrow.

It would be nice to tell them what the problem is so they don't spend two days trying to figure it out.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

SG

Mine does the same too, am facing the same problem now ! and am worried about it , it is a sound like CLICK , CLICK , CLICK ... while turning left only .. like about 3/4 to full lock left !!!!

so, plz inform me if u took it to the workshop ? have u solved the problem yet?

thanks.

GM-4-LIFE
03-25-09, 11:13 AM
Mine does the same too, am facing the same problem now ! and am worried about it , it is a sound like CLICK , CLICK , CLICK ... while turning left only .. like about 3/4 to full lock left !!!!

so, plz inform me if u took it to the workshop ? have u solved the problem yet?

thanks.

Dealer put my V on a lift and turned the wheel and when they did that, a big rock popped out. Apparently a rock got caught somewhere between the wheel, caliper and brake pads. I can't see how that can happen when you are moving, but that is what the problem was.

SG

Albertan
03-25-09, 07:33 PM
Interesting problem. Probably not the first time GM has experienced this. All GM 1/2 tons (since 2005 I believe) have come with rear drum brakes. My 2001 has rear disks. I wanted to buy a new one until I found out about the drum brakes. GM's reason was that there had been too many warranty claims with rocks getting caught in the disk brakes! I thought it was a lame excuse for saving $20 on the truck. Maybe I was wrong, first time for everyone!

UAEmonster
03-26-09, 08:53 AM
Thanks for the information "AERO1" , i will take mine to the workshop , maybe with the first service "10,000" KM lool

ReconCTS-V
03-04-10, 12:51 PM
Yes the same problem with me but when I took it in to the dealership they said that all the 2009 Cts-v's make the sound and put it on the jack and checked it out anyway then they told me that is was the suspension on these bad bady's makin the noise, the thing that gets me is this is a 60thousand dollar car I think Cadillac should have got this problem before putting these on the assembly line.

mcopp
03-26-10, 12:53 PM
I had a nail in a front left tire at 2k miles and after the wheels were taken off and re-mounted, I started having the same problem. Turning far right/left at low speeds or hard right/left at higher speeds resulted in a loud metallic clicking sound. Took it to the dealer and they said it was an issue with the lug nuts not being torqued high enough when I had tire replaced (recommended torque is 140 vs. normal, which is ~90). They torqued to 140 @ dealer and it fixed problem for a few weeks. I put up with it (VERY frustrating) until I replaced all four tires, at which time I asked them to torque to 160. That was over a month ago and not a single pop since. Hope it helps! Now on to tackle two other noise issues I've had: popping in the sunroof when the body is torqued (like going in/out of driveways at an angle) and the groan in the rear end (differential?) when car is cold.

GMX322V S/C
03-26-10, 03:16 PM
The revised (TSB) torque is actually 158 lb-ft, so good move. My clicking came back twice after they supposedly did it twice, but hope yours is gone for good.

DiamondWhtV
03-26-10, 05:05 PM
So is this normal or not. Mine has done it from day one, but only on sharp turns, especially when backing out with the tires close to full lock. When it happened on the day I picked it up, they took me over to service and they said it was because of the width of the tire and high caster angles that the sidewall of the tire tucks in and springs back making a noise. I accepted that, but now you guys are getting me to wonder.

GMX322V S/C
03-26-10, 10:28 PM
^^^
Different issue. That's the infamous "suspension clunk while backing and turning when cold out issue." That's "normal." The wheel clicking when turning sharply isn't.

tedcmiller
03-27-10, 04:48 PM
Clicking in turns is a normal problem with these cars. Various fixes, including the TSB, eliminate the sound temporarily. It is not a real problem. Clunking in sharp turns is also normal with these cars and is the Michelin PS2 tires grabbing then letting go. Like the clicking, this is not a real problem. Unlike the clicking (wheel to hub interface), clunking will reduce or go away with higher temperatures. Some folks have eliminated the clunking competely by changing tires.

Gary Wells
03-27-10, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by me on 03-07-2010, copied and pasted by me for this thread:
Not in all cases has the clicking returned. There have been a few recorded cases where the first fix took care of the problem. There are at least 2 cases where the owner took care of it themselves. There are no reported cases where somebody with the clicking issue went to aftermarket wheels / rims and the clicking returned or remained. And there are cases where it has never happened or been reported. there has, however been 1 case where GM supplied brand new rims and the clicking returned and / or remained.
And to some people, I am sure that it is more than a minor annoyance, but not considered a safety defect by GM.
Interestingly enough, at least to me, is the fact that so far not 1 2010 has reported the issue, but there again, maybe no one owning a 2010 has enough miles on the car for it to occur yet. Time will tell.

edsuski
03-28-10, 04:20 PM
Guys,

I have had and fixed the "Clicking noise from Left front end of car when turning right in a tight, low speed, turn".

Dealer claimed the following:

"Right Rear outer Axle Spline Joints Burred. Causing Click When Torque Applied to Axel"..."R+R outer joint from knuckle, clean joint, joint splines and re-torque flange nut to proper spec"

Problem completely fixed! Front wheel clicking was also completely fixed after first attempt by dealer.

I love this car!

Ed

tedcmiller
03-28-10, 11:09 PM
Anything that alters the wheel-hub interface, such as the procedure described by edsuski above, will temporarily eliminate the clicking. In most cases it eventually returns - sometimes sooner, sometimes later.

Gary Wells
03-29-10, 04:47 AM
Anything that alters the wheel-hub interface, such as the procedure described by edsuski above, will temporarily eliminate the clicking. In most cases it eventually returns - sometimes sooner, sometimes later.
I think that in most cases, the infamous front wheel clicking gets resolved. I think that it depends upon how many times a person is willing to either take it to the dealer for the TSB procedure and / or perform it themselves.

JFJr
03-29-10, 07:44 AM
The wheel clicking TSB was performed at 6,830 miles and the clicking hasn't returned. I have over 22,000 miles on the car. Maybe other dealers are not following the TSB completely.

Umrswimr
03-29-10, 07:53 AM
The wheel clicking TSB was performed at 6,830 miles and the clicking hasn't returned. I have over 22,000 miles on the car. Maybe other dealers are not following the TSB completely.
I noticed this on my car last week while pulling through a parking lot. Seemed like the left front wheel clicking.

The procedure above seems to have been performed on the REAR wheels. Mine sure seems like it's in the front.

What does the TSB say?

JFJr
03-29-10, 08:03 AM
I noticed this on my car last week while pulling through a parking lot. Seemed like the left front wheel clicking.

The procedure above seems to have been performed on the REAR wheels. Mine sure seems like it's in the front.

What does the TSB say?I believe that the front wheels are the only ones involved. I don't have the TSB handy.

Kadonny
03-29-10, 08:38 AM

What does the TSB say?

The TSB is for the front wheels, not the rear wheels. Only the front wheels click because they are the ones turning. If your dealer performed the TSB on the rear wheels, I suggest you find another dealer.

tedcmiller
03-29-10, 03:18 PM
Some people never experience the "clicking" phenomenon. Some people can take their cars to the dealer a hundred times (whether or not anyone has actually done this, I don't know), and the clicking always comes back. I stand by what I said.

Gary Wells
03-29-10, 09:29 PM
I don't see a lot of people posting up that they have not been able to get rid of their clicking, and I don't think that they have just decided to let it go and forget about it either.

Umrswimr
03-30-10, 08:00 AM
The TSB is for the front wheels, not the rear wheels. Only the front wheels click because they are the ones turning. If your dealer performed the TSB on the rear wheels, I suggest you find another dealer.
I'm just going by what this fella said:

Guys,

I have had and fixed the "Clicking noise from Left front end of car when turning right in a tight, low speed, turn".

Dealer claimed the following:

"Right Rear outer Axle Spline Joints Burred. Causing Click When Torque Applied to Axel"..."R+R outer joint from knuckle, clean joint, joint splines and re-torque flange nut to proper spec"

Problem completely fixed! Front wheel clicking was also completely fixed after first attempt by dealer.

I love this car!

Kadonny
03-30-10, 08:39 AM
I don't see a lot of people posting up that they have not been able to get rid of their clicking, and I don't think that they have just decided to let it go and forget about it either.

Agreed, most of the cars the TSB has been working. It worked on mine.

edsuski
03-30-10, 06:10 PM
I'm just going by what this fella said:

Guys - we are talking about two different issues. The front wheels clicking when turning due to the wheel moving slightly against the hub is usually fixed by thoroughly cleaning the mating surfaces and re-torquing the wheel to 158 ft. lb. (I think that is the right number). For many of us, including myself, this totally fixes that problem.

The other problem is a "Clicking noise from the Left front end of car when turning right in a tight, low speed, turn". You do not hear this one if you turn left - only when turning right. My dealer installed something called chassis ears and determined that the noise was in fact coming from the rear. It really sounded to me like it was coming from the front - but, unless he made a mistake writing it up - the dealer claimed it originated from the rear. The fix was "Right Rear outer Axle Spline Joints Burred. Causing Click When Torque Applied to Axel"..."R+R outer joint from knuckle, clean joint, joint splines and re-torque flange nut to proper spec".

This completely fixed the second problem. I am now at 20K miles and no more clicking from either source.

Good luck.

Ed

DiamondWhtV
03-31-10, 12:07 PM
Well...add me to the list now. Heard the clicking in the left front wheel when turning right going into the garage last night with the window down. As soon as the wheel was turned straight noise went away. Not ready to go to the dealer yet, but will add it to the list of things to fix that I am making. BTW I only have 1600 miles on the car.

ruben
04-02-10, 08:54 AM
Take your car to the dealer and ask them for bulletin document id:2261126.

It was done in my car but it still does it at times. I guess gm wants us to deal with certain problems not to spend on a real cure.

good luck

Z06ified
04-02-10, 10:00 AM
I'm wondering if the noise has something to do with the co-cast rotors and the wheel design? I mean it is somewhat unusual to have an aluminum rotor hat which the wheel rubs against, cast into a cast iron rotor, as one piece. Needless to say, mine started clicking loudly at about 1,800 miles. Gonna do the TSB myself and see if it works. Freakin weird sound though.

tedcmiller
04-02-10, 07:41 PM
Gary, you can make all the assumptions you want and some will be correct and others will be wrong. In a previous post to this thread you said "I don't see a lot of people posting up that they have not been able to get rid of their clicking, and I don't think that they have just decided to let it go and forget about it either." I, for one, tried the tightning of the lug nuts. This eliminated the clicking for about 1500 miiles. When the clicking came back, I decided to forget about it. So, I guess I am one of those people you don't see. Actually, I guess I fall into the latter group since I did decide to forget about it and am now posting that fact..

Gary Wells
04-02-10, 08:23 PM
Ted:
The only assumption that I am making here is that you are almost as hard headed and / or stubborn as I am and we both like to disagree.

tedcmiller
04-02-10, 11:31 PM
Benny Hill used to use the word "assume" as one of his favorite jokes. He would say that anytime you "assume," you make an "ass" out of "u" and "me." Perhaps you should rethink making assumptions.

Gary Wells
04-03-10, 06:14 AM
I never copped to making any others, only the one posted above.

Z06ified
04-12-10, 03:56 PM
Well, I did the TSB myself and it worked perfectly - wheel clicking gone. I did exactly what the TSB said: removed both front wheels, cleaned the wheel and hub mating surfaces, and increased the wheel lug torque to 158 ft. lbs. Worked like a charm. And I did it quicker myself than it would have taken the dealership to look up the TSB and do the paperwork!

Umrswimr
04-13-10, 08:16 AM
Dropped mine off yesterday to have it fixed. All better now. Hope it stays that way.

rtrocchia
12-18-11, 08:46 PM
My 2011 coupe will make a loud clunk when I back up and cut the wheels left or right hard. Happened 3 times in a row while backing up and turning the wheel. Dealer said tech notice says with sport suspension and 19" wheels that will happen and there is no fix. Happened a whole lot of times and it's very concerning. Never had a car do this before. Feels like something is going to break in the steering. I wish a rock would fall out but that's just not happening. Any one want to buy my car? I'd rather have bought a MB like I traded. That NEVER happened on my E320. But the trans went so I traded it on the CTS Coupe Premium with the large 19" wheels. Any thoughts?

maxita
03-29-12, 12:23 PM
I have the same problem with my new 2012 CTS -V automatic that i received last week and within 150 Kms I noticed while I turn the wheels to the left I hear a loud sound that sounds like something clicking or more like a whole bunch of wheel bearings getting broken up. On turning the wheels to the right the sound is very less and only goes like a fast click. I hear this sound both in slow and high speed turns.

Its now embarassing coz each time i back out or turn into my garage I see my neighbors with that WTH look on their face.

Few days later after clocking almost 400 Kms I drove to the dealer and the service advisor told me that it was not a defect but was a normal sound that was on all CTS V models as they had received a bulletin from Cadillac confirming this as normal.

I just find it hard to believe that A luxury upmarket brand performance car like Cadillac can considers this as normal. I also own a 2009 C63 AMG and a 2010 Audi RS6. His is my first ever owned American car and I'm totally disappointed from this sound.

If the dealer cant fix it I might just go ahead and sell this baby.

I hope to hear from someone here that may have had the same problem and if they found a fix to it.

Thx

----------

I have the same problem with my new 2012 CTS -V automatic that i received last week and within 150 Kms I noticed while I turn the wheels to the left I hear a loud sound that sounds like something clicking or more like a whole bunch of wheel bearings getting broken up. On turning the wheels to the right the sound is very less and only goes like a fast click. I hear this sound both in slow and high speed turns.

Its now embarassing coz each time i back out or turn into my garage I see my neighbors with that WTH look on their face.

Few days later after clocking almost 400 Kms I drove to the dealer and the service advisor told me that it was not a defect but was a normal sound that was on all CTS V models as they had received a bulletin from Cadillac confirming this as normal.

I just find it hard to believe that A luxury upmarket brand performance car like Cadillac can considers this as normal. I also own a 2009 C63 AMG and a 2010 Audi RS6. His is my first ever owned American car and I'm totally disappointed from this sound.

I hope to hear from someone here that may have had the same problem and if they found a fix to it.

Thx

Z06ified
03-29-12, 12:35 PM

Thx

I'm surprised this is still happening on a 2012 model. The fix for my 2010 was to replace the front wheels with redesigned wheels with a different part number under a TSB, which was posted on this forum. These redesigned wheels which look the same on the outside, but have grooves machined on the hub mounting area, solved the problem perfectly: haven't heard a click since. I would have assumed they have been installing these redesigned wheels on production models since the TSB was released, which was late 2010 from what I recall (my car was an October 2009 build).

In any case, I certainly wouldn't sell the car over this problem. It was mildly annoying, and strange, but definitely didn't offset all the greatness the car offers. You should find another more competent dealership first, as the one you are seeing now definitely isn't providing acceptable levels of service.

maxita
03-29-12, 12:50 PM
Well the production date on my car is November 2011.. The wheels are black ..I'm not sure if its any different from the polished wheels that some of the older CST V's have coz the exterior design looks same. Im in Qatar and we have only one Cadillac dealer in the country so I have no options left but to hear what they say..this forum definitely helps ..thanks Guys

FLYING V
03-30-12, 03:19 PM
My car was just in for this. Apparently there is a new TSB out replacing the cleaning/ re-torquing one. The service writer said they pulled the half-shafts and installed washers behind somewhere. He didn't really seem to know, but the clicking is gone for now. Unfortunately I now have another noise coming from the rear...not sure if they left it a little low on fluid or what.

Z06ified
03-30-12, 04:01 PM
My car was just in for this. Apparently there is a new TSB out replacing the cleaning/ re-torquing one. The service writer said they pulled the half-shafts and installed washers behind somewhere. He didn't really seem to know, but the clicking is gone for now. Unfortunately I now have another noise coming from the rear...not sure if they left it a little low on fluid or what.

That's for the rear wheel clicking which occurs when moving from a stop to accelerating, and back down again. Similar sound as the front wheel click, but occurs under different conditions, and apparently, caused by a different thing. My car had both clicking ailments, front and rear. Replacing the front wheels with the new TSB design fixed the front clicking problem, and the TSB you mentioned with the washers around the rear axles fixed the rear clicking.

It's definitely an odd problem (I never had a car with clicking wheels before!!), but I'm glad they fixed it. All things considered, a very minor problem, and knock wood, about the only problem I've had with the car so far in 2 years and 19k miles.

Cadillac Cust Svc
04-02-12, 09:27 AM
Really enjoyed reading the helpful feedback for maxita! I just wanted to let you all know that if you ever have any questions on whether a recall, etc., currently pertains to your specific Cadillac vehicle, I'm happy to research that for you. All I need is your full name and VIN, so feel free to send me a PM anytime with that info.

Hope you all had a great weekend,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

blkdiamond
04-05-12, 12:45 AM
I just took my 2011 in for the same reason.

Dealer took apart the steering column and advised of a defective part. Expect it to be fixed tomorrow. Will advise which part is involved. Hope this helps.

flatrockguy
05-22-12, 08:15 PM
Well just pulled in the garage and the clicking has started. My sedan only had 459 miles on it. The build date was 4-20-12, so they still have not found a fix! Oh the joy. I put over 50K miles on my 09 Dodge Charger SRT8 and never had it the dealer for anything. I sure thought that a Cadillac that cost 20K more would be better. It really sucks to have a new car with only 459 miles on it sound like an old clunker. I'm an engineer for GM and all I can say is I'm truly embarrassed.... I'm on the powertrain manufacturing side so please don't hold it against me....