: 05 STS How do I change the front headlight bulbs

goldcoater
03-17-09, 11:19 AM
Has anyone ever changed the front headlight bulbs? That little small light between the bulbs has burned out and i can't figure out how to get at the bulbs. Do I have to remove the whole light assembly? If i do, how.
Thanks

pgw85706
03-17-09, 08:48 PM
I just went through this repair (twice in 4 weeks). It is unreal, but you have to remove the headlamp assembly which requires you to remove the front bumper. First time I did it had to replace the passenger side low beam and paid the dealer $200. A month later, the driver side low beam went out and I had a buddy who does body work do it. Total time was about 45 minutes and I paid him $40. If you do it suggest you replace all 6 bulbs while you have the bumper off. Believe me, in place, you cannot access the headlamp assembly well enough to remove the 4 screws that hold the rear cover plate.

Pat
05 STS

rb92gt
03-17-09, 09:29 PM
Click on the link below, I explained how to do it in detail without removing the bumper or the headlights.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-sts-forum-2005-through-2010/161948-i-dont-really-have-go-dealer.html

pgw85706
03-17-09, 10:38 PM
Click on the link below, I explained how to do it in detail without removing the bumper or the headlights.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-sts-forum-2005-through-2010/161948-i-dont-really-have-go-dealer.html

RB92.....I studied your thread when I was evaluating my repair options. It was way too difficult to move that fuse box on the passenger side and after removing the airbox on the driver side for the life of me I could not access that lower outboard cover plate screw. I tried and tried and just gave up. And then after removing the bumper and headlamp, I think it would be too difficult install the bulbs in such cramped conditions. Maybe my hands were just too big and all the while I knew that you had done it. After trying it for like four hours I have to say I am impressed you were able to succeed. And I am quite mechanically inclined too and believe me it frustrated me to take it to the dealer for $200. As it turned out, watching my buddy who does body work and knew exactly how to get all the facia screws out, it really turned out to be a simple task via the bumper removal procedure.

Patrick

lreddiablo
03-18-09, 05:09 PM
Is the bumper removal fairly easy? How many screws to remove it? anny difficult to get to? Also anyone know the bulb #/type for the small 3rd light in the headlight assembly? Is the high beam 9005? Just want to know all I am getting into before removing the bumper

pgw85706
03-19-09, 06:51 AM
Is the bumper removal fairly easy? How many screws to remove it? anny difficult to get to? Also anyone know the bulb #/type for the small 3rd light in the headlight assembly? Is the high beam 9005? Just want to know all I am getting into before removing the bumper

On a scale of 1-10 (10=engine rebuild), I would score it a 1.5. Here is a general approach, not intended as a detailed procedure.
1. Remove front wheel well front half splash guard, each side. There are about 2 screws and the guard pulls forward to seperate from the rear half.
2. After removing the splash guard, you can access one screw that attaches the front fascia, each side.
3. Then about 6 plastic push pin type screws along the bottom, underneath.
4. About 5 push pin type screws on the top.
5. Fascia should then simply pull forward. It is a bit bulky and an extra pair of hands is helpful.
6. Then there are 3 screws to remove the headlamp assembly. Unclip the wiring harness.
7. Then 4 screws to remove the bulb access cover plate.

Bulbs were 9005 for high beam and H11 for low beam. I did not replace the little bulb (wish I had).....I think it might be H3.

Pat

lreddiablo
03-19-09, 06:29 PM
Thanks for the info, doesnt sound so bad, going to get tint for the lights to smoke them all and whiter lights to replace the fogs and the little light. Can't wait to get the supplies so I can try this out. Anyone know for sure the bulb type for the 3rd light in the headlight assembly?

BlakGost
03-24-09, 06:57 PM
Anyone know if this method works for CTS as well? Engine bays are identical. I'm not paying Cadillac $450 to replace two bulbs. THX.

pgw85706
03-25-09, 06:49 AM
Anyone know if this method works for CTS as well? Engine bays are identical. I'm not paying Cadillac $450 to replace two bulbs. THX.

You may want to post your question in the CTS forum.

lreddiablo
03-25-09, 02:37 PM
If you dont think removing the bumper is something you want to attempt, take it to Paco's down the street, an easy job for any cheap independant mechanic! Prob cost you under $100 plus bulbs

BlakGost
03-25-09, 07:28 PM
You may want to post your question in the CTS forum.
Already have...any previous CTS owners try this method on the CTS? THX.

pgw85706
03-26-09, 06:09 AM
Already have...any previous CTS owners try this method on the CTS? THX.
Did you study these threads in the CTS forum?

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...placement.html (Low Beam Headlamp Replacement)

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/1521050-post5.html (Low Beam Headlamp Replacement)

alcoacaddy
02-22-10, 06:11 PM
When I bought my 2005 Cadillac STS about 3 weeks ago, each headlight assembly had about 2 inches of water in the bottom AND I had a headlight bulb out. With the help of this thread I was able to remove the front fascia and fix both headlight assemblies. I have detailed how to do this in a photo album on facebook, and I'll post the URL as soon as this forum will allow me to make a post with a link in it... :-)

The trickiest part for me was the fact that once you get the fascia "unclipped", it has to actually slide forward to pop out of two little slots (one on either side of the car). I spent about an hour banging my head against the wall trying to take the slot bolts loose, but they're not designed to come loose.

Also a little tricky, you don't have to unbolt the fog lights from the fascia, but it is helpful if you unplug them. If your car is equipped with headlight washers, you can leave those in the fascia, but be sure and unplug the hose from the solenoid on the bottom of the windshield washer fluid container. If you've done all that, the fascia should neatly unhook from the car and you can just set it aside!

Feel free to PM me questions - I'd be glad to help!

stuckes
04-27-11, 02:01 PM
Thanks for all the info, very helpful. I have removed everything mentioned from the wheel well to the bumper fascia. For some reason I can not get the wiring harness off the back of the headlight assembly. Is there a trick? It seems like once I turn it, it should come loose but it isn't. I didn't see any clips holding it to the assembly. Any feedback would be appreciated.

chazglenn3
04-27-11, 02:21 PM
It doesn't twist to release...it has a locking clip to one side. Look closely...

hellamint
09-13-11, 12:59 PM
All / AlcoaCaddy, Does anyone have detailed pictures for removing the bumper? I just ordered some HID's (ultimatehidkits.com - Hopefully they are good!), and they will be delivered to my house soon. I want to make sure this whole process goes as smoothly as possible.

I don't have jacks, so I guess i will have to just turn the wheels in order to remove the splash guards?
Any help is much appreciated!!!

lobstah
09-18-11, 05:18 PM
Found this thread after I was told that the bumper needed to come off to replace those little lights on the lower inside corner of the headlight box. What is the official name of those lights so I can look them up at he parts store? Thanks!

bill2nice
02-12-12, 03:15 PM
Hello,

Can you please help me out? I just need help locating the bottom screw in the fuse box, can you post a picture up with the air box and fuse moved aside?

As much picture as possible. thank you

waldo5
03-23-12, 03:43 AM
I need some help please? I changed my head lights (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/#) no problem, but when i went to change my front marker light I could not get the socket back in I was playing
with it for 2 hours is there a trick on putting the socket back in it just won't stay on plaese help Eddie. I left then out for now? Thanks or call me 516 670-4157 I have 06 STS

reneeg
12-19-12, 01:36 PM
When I bought my 2005 Cadillac STS about 3 weeks ago, each headlight assembly had about 2 inches of water in the bottom AND I had a headlight bulb out. With the help of this thread I was able to remove the front fascia and fix both headlight assemblies. I have detailed how to do this in a photo album on facebook, and I'll post the URL as soon as this forum will allow me to make a post with a link in it... :-)

The trickiest part for me was the fact that once you get the fascia "unclipped", it has to actually slide forward to pop out of two little slots (one on either side of the car). I spent about an hour banging my head against the wall trying to take the slot bolts loose, but they're not designed to come loose.

Also a little tricky, you don't have to unbolt the fog lights from the fascia, but it is helpful if you unplug them. If your car is equipped with headlight washers, you can leave those in the fascia, but be sure and unplug the hose from the solenoid on the bottom of the windshield washer fluid container. If you've done all that, the fascia should neatly unhook from the car and you can just set it aside!

Feel free to PM me questions - I'd be glad to help!
Did u post info on how to change lights? I can't find it. If u put it on FB, can u friend request me or email me info. Email is reneeguidry@yahoo.com. Cell 337-288-4139

eatyoursandwich
12-19-12, 05:38 PM
Without pictures, this is what I do. The first time I took the bumper off, I had no instructions, just a lot of experience removing/replacing bumpers on loads of other cars.

1) Open hood

2) Remove all engine covers (all you should have to do is twist the plastic screws counter-clockwise)

3) Raise the car (jack stands, lift, ramps, whatever) and remove the tires -- it can be done with the tires on, but if you have air tools, just take them off.

4) In the fenderwell on each side, there are 2 pop-pins you will have to release. The pop-pins are 2-peice fasteners -- a pin and a carrier. Take a flat head screwdriver, wedge it under the indention in the top pin and pop it off. Once each pop-pin is off, remove the carriers as well.

-- If you have already run into trouble, just stop. Trust me and take it to a shop. --

5) With a 10mm socket (1 will need to be relatively deep) remove the two bolts on each side that fasten the bumper to the fender.

6) I can't remember the exact number (I believe 4), but remove the remaining pop-pins from the top of the bumper -- this is an SRX, but you get the idea.

7) Make sure you unhook the factory headlight and fog light harnesses before taking the bumper completely off.

8) Once the bumper is removed, you will see 3, 10mm bolts holding each headlamp

9) Remove said bolts and access the headlamp

10) Each headlamp will have 2 access panels; 1 on the back and 1 on the side

11) Remove the back access panel with 8mm socket....lights!!

12) Replace lights and put everything back together

On a difficulty scale, I would give this a generous [3]. With experience removing bumper covers, no guides or instructions are needed.

I had to replace one of my highbeams that went out last night. The whole process took 30 min from start to finish with a floor jack, screwdriver, and an air wrench.

EChas3
12-19-12, 10:30 PM
Some members claim it's possible to change front bulbs using other procedures (removing fuse box & wheel liners, etc.) I've not had the need. When I do, I'll either remove the bumper or let someone else do so.

curtc
12-20-12, 12:14 AM
I have one of those small "peanut" bulbs out right now actually, too lazy to do anything about it until spring as I don't have access to a heated garage. But, come spring time I will be teaching myself how to remove the front fascia so I can take care of that as well as replace the rest of them, D1S's included, who knows if they are original or not...

I know the fog lights and DRL/blinker bulbs can be replaced by simply going in through the wheel well after removing the liners, very easy. Replaced the fog lights in 15 minutes in my CTS and the car didn't even leave the ground, just cranked the wheel from one side to the other to make some room. Looks identical on the STS.

reneeg
12-20-12, 10:22 AM
I have one of those small "peanut" bulbs out right now actually, too lazy to do anything about it until spring as I don't have access to a heated garage. But, come spring time I will be teaching myself how to remove the front fascia so I can take care of that as well as replace the rest of them, D1S's included, who knows if they are original or not...

I know the fog lights and DRL/blinker bulbs can be replaced by simply going in through the wheel well after removing the liners, very easy. Replaced the fog lights in 15 minutes in my CTS and the car didn't even leave the ground, just cranked the wheel from one side to the other to make some room. Looks identical on the STS.

In reference to headlights, I'm about to change mine, high and low beams while I have it all apart. Which sylvania silvers tar bulbs do u recommend. I read that the ultras don't last long. Do u know from experience? [phone # removed - Mod] Thanx, renee

eatyoursandwich
12-20-12, 10:42 AM
In reference to headlights, I'm about to change mine, high and low beams while I have it all apart. Which sylvania silvers tar bulbs do u recommend. I read that the ultras don't last long. Do u know from experience? Cell is 337-288-4139. Thanx, renee

Never post your phone number on the internet. Never.

reneeg
12-20-12, 12:10 PM
Never post your phone number on the internet. Never.

It's only a number bit thanx anyway. In ur opinion, which of the sylvania silverstar bulbs is better, ultra, high performance, or xtra vision? Or do u recommend another? Thanx in advance

curtc
12-20-12, 01:39 PM
It's only a number bit thanx anyway. In ur opinion, which of the sylvania silverstar bulbs is better, ultra, high performance, or xtra vision? Or do u recommend another? Thanx in advance

I recommend converting to HID, all done with lame halogens.

eatyoursandwich
12-20-12, 03:50 PM

Given that your logic between this thread and your other one make no sense and even contradict each other, I don't know what to tell you.

If you can swap halogen bulbs, you can install HIDs. Based on your questions, you are going to have a shop do it anyway so just pay the extra $20 to install an HID kit. Shops in my area are doing conversions for 1 or 2 hours worth of labor. Buy a kit and take it to a shop to have installed.

You have projector housings. Silverstar Ultra, HP, Xtra Vision are all going to give you basically the same results in a projector housing. If we had halogen housings, maybe a different story, but your not going to increase anything as far as visibility with halogen bulbs.

reneeg
12-20-12, 04:41 PM
Given that your logic between this thread and your other one make no sense and even contradict each other, I don't know what to tell you.

If you can swap halogen bulbs, you can install HIDs. Based on your questions, you are going to have a shop do it anyway so just pay the extra $20 to install an HID kit. Shops in my area are doing conversions for 1 or 2 hours worth of labor. Buy a kit and take it to a shop to have installed.

You have projector housings. Silverstar Ultra, HP, Xtra Vision are all going to give you basically the same results in a projector housing. If we had halogen housings, maybe a different story, but your not going to increase anything as far as visibility with halogen bulbs.

I don't know how I contradicted myself, I simply asked which lights anyone thought was better. I don't know anything about hid since I don't have them and know nothing about the conversion kit. But learning a little bit from ur kinda rude post. So what u are saying is that hid and non hid have the same housing/assembly? Meaning the difference is adding the kit and xenon bulbs?

----------

I don't know how I contradicted myself, I simply asked which lights anyone thought was better. I don't know anything about hid since I don't have them and know nothing about the conversion kit. But learning a little bit from ur kinda rude post. So what u are saying is that hid and non hid have the same housing/assembly? Meaning the difference is adding the kit and xenon bulbs?

By the way, I forgot to say thanx, even though rude, very informative. At least I'm learning something new lol

DarkMingBlueSTS
12-20-12, 09:34 PM
The hid bulbs will fit just like the halogen bulbs if you order them correctly but you have to do some wiring and mount the ballasts needed for the hid bulbs...hid kit=bulbs and ballasts

EChas3
12-20-12, 10:24 PM
The OEM halogens in my wife's car are far more than adequate. My HID's are better but not necessary under most conditions.

Rene - Buy the Sylvania's with the longest life so you don't have this hassle again anytime soon! Good luck!

dannyquest
12-20-12, 11:23 PM
Last monday I change my low beam bulb with Sylvania's. The last time was last June also with Sylavina. Should switch brand. Danny

reneeg
12-21-12, 01:14 AM
The hid bulbs will fit just like the halogen bulbs if you order them correctly but you have to do some wiring and mount the ballasts needed for the hid bulbs...hid kit=bulbs and ballasts

Thanx for replying!

DarkMingBlueSTS
12-21-12, 07:27 PM
Thanx for replying!

No prob

reneeg
12-21-12, 08:04 PM
No prob

Have u ever changed the peanut bulb? If so, how did u get it out? It doesn't seem like it turns to pull it out like hi n low ones

DarkMingBlueSTS
12-21-12, 08:31 PM
Have u ever changed the peanut bulb? If so, how did u get it out? It doesn't seem like it turns to pull it out like hi n low ones

No I haven't, I only unplugged mine when I did the conversion. But soon I will be changing the peanuts to led. I hear they are kind of difficult to get out, I think they are held in by tabs that you might have pry on a little with a small screwdriver if I remember hearing that correctly

chazglenn3
12-21-12, 09:57 PM
The holder for the peanut bulb is a twist and turn one, but the tabs are very flimsy and will almost certainly break off when you take it out. Mine broke on both lights when swapping them out for LED's. I ended up wrapping the socket with scotch tape until it fit tightly. If yours are not coming out, they might have been broken and glued previously.

reneeg
12-21-12, 10:12 PM
The holder for the peanut bulb is a twist and turn one, but the tabs are very flimsy and will almost certainly break off when you take it out. Mine broke on both lights when swapping them out for LED's. I ended up wrapping the socket with scotch tape until it fit tightly. If yours are not coming out, they might have been broken and glued previously.

Thanx for reply. They broke :( I had to tape it:(. I just raised my lights cuz they were pointing too low. Can they be adjusted horizontally or only vertical?

----------

Thanx for reply. They broke :( I had to tape it:(. I just raised my lights cuz they were pointing too low. Can they be adjusted horizontally or only vertical?

Also, can the fog lights be adjusted?

Ludacrisvp
12-22-12, 03:03 AM
fog lights have vertical only adjustment, that is what the screw is that is in the lens cover.

reneeg
12-22-12, 01:34 PM
fog lights have vertical only adjustment, that is what the screw is that is in the lens cover.

Thanx for reply. What about low beams, only vertical also?

Ludacrisvp
12-22-12, 01:54 PM
Thanx for reply. What about low beams, only vertical also?
Correct. There is no right/left adjustments for this car. Also the highbeam adjusts with the low beam (they are all one piece that is molded/cast together).