: Alternator removal Catera

juneau69
03-16-09, 08:26 PM
Can anyone tell me how to remove the top nut on the alternator for a 99 Cat?

Thanks for you help.

AHazzardToAll
03-17-09, 12:30 AM
i'll try to get a scan of the manual, but you just loosen the serp belt and unloop it from the alternator, then take off the wires from the back. then take out two or three bolts holding it and it'll be free. It's pretty basic stuff if i remember correctly. lower pass side of course, so some might prefer to work from under the car.

juneau69
03-17-09, 04:04 AM
I have the belt off, and the bottom nut and bolt. I just can't get a hand or a wrench behind the alternator to locate the nut. I tried from the side, bottom and even stood on my head, but just not able to get a tool behind the alternator. I am wondering if I ever get it off how in the world will I get it back on. I have a manual but just not much help. I must be missing a step somewhere to get that nut off.
Thanks for your time.

tennesseeduck
03-18-09, 07:11 PM
I did it from underneath but the car was on a lift and I am sure that helped a lot. I used a socket on a swivel for the the bolt head in the back and a impact for the nut out front, all Snap-On stuff. Once I had the nut off I pushed the bolt out with a punch, lowered the car and pulled the alternator out the top. I put the bolt back in by holding it with a magnet and pushing it back in with a long pry bar. Sounds easier than it actually was but with some patience you an get it.

juneau69
03-19-09, 12:36 AM
Thanks for your reply.
Actually that sounds kinda hard but it gives me something to work with.