: Leaking intake manifold gasket?

megatron
03-16-09, 08:01 PM
Hi all I have a '93 Fleetwood Brougham with the Chevy 350 5.7liter engine,and its just been diagnosed with a leaking intake manifold gasket and leaking injector seals. Its a TBI motor and I was wondering what if any more severe problems might arise from driving the car thsi way for a short time?

Someone told me a leaking intake manifold gasket can cause a head gasket to blow,is this true? I ask as I plan on fixing it soon but right now my money has to go into my house and other things I was quoted a price of $450-$500 for both repairs is this reasonable? thanks for any help guys.

jayoldschool
03-16-09, 09:10 PM
Is the intake leaking oil or coolant?

megatron
03-16-09, 09:26 PM
Jay I think its coolant wht is this bad? I've had to add coolant to my a few times already the last month or so.

jayoldschool
03-17-09, 10:03 AM
Coolant leaking isn't good. It will get into the oil and make a foamy, milkshake-like froth that is really bad for the engine. Have you checked your oil lately? If the oil is just getting sucked into the combustion chamber and burned, it isn't a big deal. You would notice more white smoke out the tail pipe.

Get that intake resealed. It is easy to do! We can talk you through it if you want to do it yourself. Easy to do with standard hand tools. A gasket set is under 50 bucks.

VortecCaddy
03-17-09, 01:49 PM
Very easy repair.

firstimecaddi
03-18-09, 10:51 PM
can either of you guys provide a play by play. I have these symptoms on my 95 FWB. I have the milky looking oil on the dipstick and inside the oil cap. You guys say it is an easy repair, I'm not afraid to tackle this myself.

jayoldschool
03-18-09, 11:48 PM
firstimecaddi, you likely have a different problem. You have an LT1, so there is no coolant crossover in the manifold like on the older engine that we have been talking about. So, you have one of two problems. One is not a big deal, and one is pretty bad.

Please tell me that you drive short distances to work/school/whatever and your car never really warms up. Tell me that you have been bad, and haven't changed the oil for a really long time. Tell me that you don't have any heat from your heater. All these could cause the milkyness under that fill cap. The engine doesn't get hot enough to burn off the stuff that is collecting on the fill cap.

If you change your oil on time, drive long distances and that engine warms up nicely... then you may have a bad head gasket. Does your coolant level drop without you noticing a leak on the driveway/garage?

firstimecaddi
03-19-09, 02:30 PM
I drive about 45 miles one way. I do have heating problems though, the car will get to the selected temperature but it takes a while to get there. I do not warm up the car, I just start and go and it takes about 15 - 20 mins for the temp to be comfortable. I change the oil on schedule and have not been losing coolant since I changed the cap.

jayoldschool
03-19-09, 07:27 PM
I drive about 45 miles one way. I do have heating problems though, the car will get to the selected temperature but it takes a while to get there. I do not warm up the car, I just start and go and it takes about 15 - 20 mins for the temp to be comfortable. I change the oil on schedule and have not been losing coolant since I changed the cap.

Ok, that is all good news. Not losing coolant means the head gasket is ok. Is the oil on the dipstick ok? I mean the part that actually dips down in the liquid oil. Milky above that is just condensation (as is the gunk on the cap). You may have a stuck thermostat. This will prevent the engine from getting up to operating temp, and will not burn off the condensation that is causing the milkyness. You can go through the electronic climate control to look at the engine coolant temp. If the thermostat is (or isn't) working, it will be very obvious when you watch the temperature data.

firstimecaddi
03-19-09, 11:15 PM
On the DIC the highest I have seen the temperature reach is 88 F. This is after I've started from cold and have driven about 20 miles. I have a laboratory thermometer in the car and it reads consistent with the selected in car temperature.(will check Tstat).

On the dipstick, the part that gives your level...looks like oil (not milky).