: Is there a doctor in the house?

Elvis
07-06-04, 10:39 PM
I need medical advice.

My elbow is swolen up like a motherfxxxxxr. It's a result of leaning on it at my desk and staring at a computer screen all damn day long. It's like a pocket of fluid has formed on the outside. It wasn't hurting before, but now it's starting to.

Do I need to get this thing drained, or would they just shoot me up with cortisone? Or do I just wait it out?

Vesicant
07-06-04, 11:50 PM
These should help:

It sounds like "Bursitis"

http://my.webmd.com/hw/health_guide_atoz/stb117159.asp?navbar=aa136877

http://my.webmd.com/content/article/17/1676_50652.htm?lastselectedguid={5FE84E90-BC77-4056-A91C-9531713CA348}

Reguardless, you should still check out a doctor.. if the swelling increases or the area is more irritated , it could be infected. Not good.

Ralph
07-06-04, 11:51 PM
I don't have a fluid problem, but I'm developing carpal tunnel in my wrist! I use my wallet to help support the wrist and I try not to sit to close to the screen. :rant2: Now when I'm driving the car, etc. it gets sore and I have to move it around.

Maybe try to get up and stretch once in a while on the computer so everything gets distributed throughout the body. Every half hour I try to do some jumping jacks.

D148L0
07-07-04, 10:43 AM
Elvis, I think Jeffrey might be right.
Ralph, go to the doctor now. He'll prescribe antiinflamatory drugs and a device to limit the articulation movement. Carpal tunnel Sx can be a real pain in the... wrist.

Elvis
07-07-04, 11:46 AM
Sounds like you nailed it, Jeffery. Thanks. I thought bursitis was an old-person thing.

Doesn't sound like a doctor will do me much good until this thing gets unbearable. I'm going to try ice and ibuprofen. That should do the trick. Plus, I've re-configured my desk so that I CAN'T lean on my elbow anymore.

That second article called it "student's elbow." I did well in school, but I never considered myself a "good student!" How in the hell can this happen to me??!!! ;)

Elvis
07-07-04, 11:51 AM
I don't have a fluid problem, but I'm developing carpal tunnel in my wrist! I use my wallet to help support the wrist and I try not to sit to close to the screen. :rant2: Now when I'm driving the car, etc. it gets sore and I have to move it around.

Maybe try to get up and stretch once in a while on the computer so everything gets distributed throughout the body. Every half hour I try to do some jumping jacks.

Ralph, my wife is exhibiting carpal-tunnel symptoms, but the doctors told her she's not anywhere NEAR the surgery stage. Go to your drugstore and get one of these, it should help a lot.

http://www.medicalmailorder.com/images/aceplusrigidwristbrace.jpg

Sleep in it, too. It will keep you from putting your wrist in an awkward position (like under the pillow).

Ralph
07-07-04, 03:53 PM
Ralph, go to the doctor now. He'll prescribe antiinflamatory drugs

Thanks for the advice, however, I'm trying to get away from all these drugs. I was on Vioxx and Celebrex and Bextra for inflammation due to arthritis in my knees, etc. Then they mentioned on the news how some people developed a bleeding ulcer in their stomach and died from similar products. Apparently some of these antiinflammatory drugs are hard on the lining of the stomach. I'm trying the herbal route for a change. I'm taking cayenne pepper pills for the inflammation, as well as ginger, chondritin and MSN, etc.

Ralph
07-07-04, 03:56 PM
Ralph, my wife is exhibiting carpal-tunnel symptoms, but the doctors told her she's not anywhere NEAR the surgery stage. Go to your drugstore and get one of these, it should help a lot.

http://www.medicalmailorder.com/images/aceplusrigidwristbrace.jpg

Sleep in it, too. It will keep you from putting your wrist in an awkward position (like under the pillow).

Thanks. I think if it gets really bad, then I'll get one. I've seen those where we get groceries. It seems better if I can move my wrist around to stretch it, instead of keeping it straight which is what I think those supports do.

Rolex
07-07-04, 05:05 PM
I was on Vioxx and Celebrex and Bextra for inflammation due to arthritis in my knees, etc. Then they mentioned on the news how some people developed a bleeding ulcer in their stomach and died from similar products. Apparently some of these antiinflammatory drugs are hard on the lining of the stomach. I'm trying the herbal route for a change. I'm taking cayenne pepper pills for the inflammation, as well as ginger, chondritin and MSN, etc.These new drugs Vioxx, celebrex, and bextra (COX 1 specific) have fewer side effects on the gastric lining then first generation NSAIDS (Cox 1 and 2), and they don't have effects on platlet function so you won't see as many bleeding problems, but it still happens now and then.

Quite a few of the orthopedic surgeons I work with use and recommend glucosamine and chondroitin for joint problems....but we don't know if they really work, but then they don't seem to hurt anything either.

Chondroitin is benign, cayenne pepper is a new one on me, ginger could possibly alter blood sugar, thin the blood, and has the same GI/stomach side effects as NSAIDS in large doses. Be careful with herbals. If you know for a fact you have bursitis I would say the antiinflammatory supplements are your best bet. Hope that helps some. If you have to have surgery....stop taking those herbals two weeks prior!!!!

Ralph
07-07-04, 05:21 PM
These new drugs Vioxx, celebrex, and bextra (COX 1 specific) have fewer side effects on the gastric lining then first generation NSAIDS (Cox 1 and 2), and they don't have effects on platlet function so you won't see as many bleeding problems, but it still happens now and then.

Quite a few of the orthopedic surgeons I work with use and recommend glucosamine and chondroitin for joint problems....but we don't know if they really work, but then they don't seem to hurt anything either.

Chondroitin is benign, cayenne pepper is a new one on me, ginger could possibly alter blood sugar, thin the blood, and has the same GI/stomach side effects as NSAIDS in large doses. Be careful with herbals. If you know for a fact you have bursitis I would say the antiinflammatory supplements are your best bet. Hope that helps some. If you have to have surgery....stop taking those herbals two weeks prior!!!!

Glucosamine builds up and replaces cartliage supposedly, and the ancient Egyptions knew about and used cayenne pepper for improving circulation, inflammation and as a pain reliever. Cayenne is also supposed to help heal the stomach lining. Ginko Biboba sure improves circulation, I've used it when I had to study and write tests, and I did better than before. Many seniors could try Ginko for that problem, but I don't expect many medical doctors to believe in the effectiveness of herbals. The Chineese certainly believe in their effectiveness, however I'm leary of their "positive and negative energy" theories, etc.

Ralph
07-07-04, 05:23 PM
Chondritin should be used with glucosamine to be more effective, again, supposedly.

Rolex
07-07-04, 05:39 PM
Glucosamine builds up and replaces cartliage supposedly, and the ancient Egyptions knew about and used cayenne pepper for improving circulation, inflammation and as a pain reliever. Cayenne is also supposed to help heal the stomach lining. Ginko Biboba sure improves circulation, I've used it when I had to study and write tests, and I did better than before. Many seniors could try Ginko for that problem, but I don't expect many medical doctors to believe in the effectiveness of herbals. They would rather write prescriptions so they stay in business. The Chineese certainly believe in their effectiveness, however I'm leary of their "positive and negative energy" theories, etc.You might be surprised at how many MDs use and will recommend herbals to patients. Ginko will improve circulation, but can also have some nasty GI side effects and cause bleeding problems. Lots of the herbals that start with "G" can cause bleeding, especially if taken concurrently with blood thinners, antiplatlet drugs, and sometimes NSAIDS like aspirin.

Nobody knows how much of the glucosamine in these supplements is in the bioavailable form, but again this supplement doesn't seem to have any nasty or permanent side effects.

Ralph
07-07-04, 05:45 PM
You might be surprised at how many MDs use and will recommend herbals to patients. Ginko will improve circulation, but can also have some nasty GI side effects and cause bleeding problems. Lots of the herbals that start with "G" can cause bleeding, especially if taken concurrently with blood thinners, antiplatlet drugs, and sometimes NSAIDS like aspirin.

Nobody knows how much of the glucosamine in these supplements is in the bioavailable form, but again this supplement doesn't seem to have any nasty or permanent side effects.

It is good to know that in the U.S. doctors seem to have more freedom to recommend herbs, etc. In Canada, doctors are not allowed to recommend herbs to patients or they lose their license to practice!!

Ginko is not a blood thinner, it only works to dialate blood vessels, but you are correct, it should not be used with thinners.

Rolex
07-07-04, 05:55 PM
Ginko is not a blood thinner, it only works to dialate blood vessels, but you are correct, it should not be used with thinners.Canada has the benefit of having lower perscription drug prices then the US on most drugs. If an herbal is an effective treatment, and more affordable, not many.....but some doctors will recomend herbal meds. Just fyi, Ginko contains ginkogolides which may inhibit platlet activating factor, which is normally released when you damage the endothelial lining of a blood vessel. So Ginko is not per say a blood thinner, but it can exacerbate bleeding.

Ralph
07-07-04, 06:09 PM
Canada has the benefit of having lower perscription drug prices then the US on most drugs.

Canadians are a little angry at the American pharmaceutical companies right now! Because many Americans are purchasing Canadian drugs through the net or visiting Canada to get them, the U.S. drug companies are losing money. So guess what they are doing, they are trying to make OUR drugs as expensive as yours! If that does happen, Canada will be MAD. :gun:

Rolex
07-07-04, 06:14 PM
Canadians are a little angry at the American pharmaceutical companies right now! Because many Americans are purchasing Canadian drugs through the net or visiting Canada to get them, the U.S. drug companies are losing money. So guess what they are doing, they are trying to make OUR drugs as expensive as yours! If that does happen, Canada will be MAD. :gun:We're mad at them too. The fair thing to do would be for US Rx companies to lower their freakin prices!!! It's a shame that in the richest nation in the world some little old person would have to choose between drugs to sustain their life, and having food on the table. Sad.:crying:

Ralph
07-07-04, 06:17 PM
We're mad at them too. The fair thing to do would be for US Rx companies to lower their freakin prices!!! It's a shame that in the richest nation in the world some little old person would have to choose between drugs to sustain their life, and having food on the table. Sad.:crying:

Everyone in the U.S. should demand change regarding the pricing! Why are drugs so damn expensive there?! At least, there are some herbs that work if one knows about them and does a little research.