: where to buy replacement key?

catera00
03-16-09, 07:18 PM
Sorry if this question has been answered but I couldnt find anything on it. I want to buy a new key since my Cadillac logo has chipped off of both of my keys. I've only seen the generic ones on ebay with no logo. Can I get one with a caddy logo from the dealer or somewhere? Or does someone wanna sell me one of theirs? (I can just swap out the key cover).

Southern-Hospitality
03-16-09, 07:51 PM
Gm dealer $250.

Do you really care about the picture?

98 Catera
03-16-09, 08:47 PM
I got my key this past friday from the dealer, just because I didn't have a 2nd key and I feel I needed one, 92bucks and 40bucks to program it. i also got 2 remotes, remote 1 & 2 @88bucks each and 50bucks to program.

AHazzardToAll
03-17-09, 12:14 AM
all the used keys will be worn like that. been the case with all 6 cats i've come across.

catera00
03-17-09, 12:30 PM
good lord! guess I dont need it that bad. mine was in perfect condition when I bought the car but I had my keys in my pocket with a money clip that chipped the logo. Then it just continued to fall apart. Bummer. Well thanks for the info everyone

98 Catera
03-17-09, 12:53 PM
If your sportin' a money clip then you should just go to the dealer and spring for a new key, hahaha j/k :D

TSS
03-18-09, 11:33 AM
Gm dealer $250.

Do you really care about the picture?

What the....? What the heck do your Catera keys look like? My Lade does not have a chip. Is it the chip that is driving the cost?

catera00
03-18-09, 12:42 PM
If your sportin' a money clip then you should just go to the dealer and spring for a new key, hahaha j/k :D

yeah I wish, its really a metal credit card holder with an empty money clip on the other side. ha! If I had $$ I wouldnt have a check engine light. Wait, its a Catera, that light doesnt turn of! :D

What the....? What the heck do your Catera keys look like? My Lade does not have a chip. Is it the chip that is driving the cost?

Theres a chip inside the black case of the key. My key looks like this:

TSS
03-18-09, 02:02 PM
Ok, I guess my wife's SLS key probably has a chip too...I better make sure not to lose one.

Here is another solution. Maybe. The 08 fob and key I have for my 07 Lade has the colorful caddy emblem on them. NO CHIP in the key, so the key is relatively cheap. I think that the emblem is removable, if you are very careful, with a thin jewelers screwdriver - just carefully try to pry it off. You can just pick up a blank 08 DTS or 08 uncut key from the dealer and see if it solves the problem. No guarantees, but 250 bucks is crazy.

TSS
03-18-09, 02:25 PM
sorry, tried to link a picture and failed.....

98 Catera
03-18-09, 04:15 PM
noooo, the emblem doesnt come off... the case splits in half, look at the tip of the case it looks like you can put a coin in the lil slot and twist, thats what you do! ((( careful not to loose the lil chip. it'll fall rite out ))) then if you get, or find, or buy a new top-half of the case you can just snap it rite back on. By the way did any of these keys ever come with a light built-in? looks like there room for a battery and a cut-out for a led light at the other side.

TSS
03-18-09, 05:42 PM
I was suggesting slapping the colored 08 key emblem on TOP of the existing faded one.

98 Catera
03-18-09, 05:58 PM
oh, ok. my bad. i didn't understand

Southern-Hospitality
03-18-09, 11:14 PM

Your escalade does have a chip. Go get a quote for a new key from your local gm dealer.

No wonder they're bankrupt.

TSS
03-19-09, 09:31 AM
Your escalade does have a chip. Go get a quote for a new key from your local gm dealer.

No wonder they're bankrupt.

No it doesn't. I have gotten a key, cut it, end of story. No programming whatsoever. The 02-06 had chips though I think.

Southern-Hospitality
03-19-09, 01:39 PM
OH, my bad I assumed it was a newer escalade :S

I think Cadillac started putting chips in all the cars around 2000? A few may have been left out though. And the Catera's I think always had them because they were opels. European vehicles have been using chips for a long time.

TSS
03-19-09, 04:03 PM
OH, my bad I assumed it was a newer escalade :S

I think Cadillac started putting chips in all the cars around 2000? A few may have been left out though. And the Catera's I think always had them because they were opels. European vehicles have been using chips for a long time.

It is an 07. It does not have a chip. Chips became real popular with GM around late 90's early 00's, as you stated (pretty sure my 01 SLS key has a chip too). Then, it became not so popular to have chips. The newer Lades don't have chips. Really. I just have a key cut at the hardware store, assuming they have the correct blank, and presto, it works - just like the good old days!

Southern-Hospitality
03-19-09, 05:00 PM
really? That blows my mind. Well at least that's a good sign that the companies are smartening up and getting rid of the useless chip.

catera00
03-19-09, 08:05 PM
By the way did any of these keys ever come with a light built-in? looks like there room for a battery and a cut-out for a led light at the other side.

I wondered that too. Do any other cars use the same shaped key as the Catera? As a side note, what do the Opel Keys look like?

TSS
03-20-09, 09:38 AM
really? That blows my mind.

You and me both! My new Lade arrived one key short (lost somewhere in between dealer trade). I too was shocked when the dealer parts guy actually cut a key (I watched it cut from a blank on the wall) and handed it to me. I was like, "hey dumba**, it needs to be programmed". I was politely corrected. Oops.