: Not charging with cold

JAMESMABRY
03-16-09, 05:32 PM
I have a 2000 cadillac Catera, when it is cold the gauge will not even show the volts from the battery, howver when it warms up the volts will slowly rise. It is in the shop now and thought it may be the alternator. The Alternator test out fine. Has anyone had this issue and what was the problem. I have heard that bad battery cables can cause this.

AHazzardToAll
03-18-09, 12:30 AM
a battery would be my educated guess. do you know how old it is? batteries don't like extreme temperatures n the 1st place, n car batteries r onli built so different.....

JAMESMABRY
03-18-09, 06:25 PM
Battery is brand new. I have heard that it may be battery cables I have never had them changed could that be an issue?

JAMESMABRY
04-07-09, 12:19 PM
Just to let all know what the solution was. Remember the day when an alternators either work or it don't, well throw that out the window. the brushes were sticking and the voltage regulator was going bad. when it was cold the brushes were sticking and as soon as it warmed up it would work. When we pulled it off and tested it, it came out as good but the problem was found when they broke it open. So don't always believe it when places like Auto Zone puts it on the machine. It cost 87.50 to have the alternator rebuilt and 85.00 to have it pulled and replaced. big pain to get in and out.

gunther1000
04-07-09, 03:20 PM
It doesn't look so bad from the bottom to remove once you get that skid plate out of the way... But I have never take it out.