: Metallic Noise in rear

stickshift
03-16-09, 05:27 PM
I have a metallic clunking noise in the rear of the car. I hear it when going over speed bumps, going in and out of driveways, and when making u-turns. It almost sounds like sheet metal flexing, like it might be the gas tank. The dealer checked it out but couldn't reproduce the noise, It happens sporadically. I was wondering if anyone else has has a similar issue or has any ideas. Thanks

The Wrench
03-16-09, 08:46 PM
Sounds suspension-related. Maybe a loose shock or sway bar; but the dealer should have found that. Check the little skid bar that hangs down and protects the exhaust about half way back; easy to bend it up and make intermittant contact with the exhaust pipe. Might be an axle nut popping on the splines; haven't heard of SRX's doing this, but Corvettes do it a lot. The fix is to lube the splines and really lean on the big axle nut.
Just a few ideas.

DG

stickshift
03-17-09, 01:57 PM
Thanks for your ideas. The dealer said they tightened everything up but didn't mention lubricating the splines. I did notice the car seemed quite a bit tighter after their service but the noise is still there, I will ask about your ideas. Thanks again!