: Tire Choices for STOCK sizes

benjet
07-06-04, 09:22 PM
At 8k I'm approx. 70% worn on my stock OEM tires. I'm (publicly) considering all of my alternate options (run flat not as big a deal to me). Here is the current list (with prices from TireRack and do not include tax, shipping, mounting/balancing, etc.) all are 245-45R18 (generally W, Y or Z rated). Prices are EACH tire as of the time of this posting.

I'm open to thoughts on any experiences with any of these tires on any other (prefer similiar) vehicles. Anyone have any comments, preferences, compaints with any of the listed tires. Why would you pick one over the other? Noise, ride comfort, grip, longevity, etc. What experiences do you have or know of. If you know of any other options (nitto?) please also post those options.

Goodyear (STOCK) Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar EMT (run flat) - $328

Bridgestone Potenza RE050 - $201
Bridgestone Potenza RE050 XL - $203
Bridgestone Potenza RE050A (run flat) - $263
Bridgestone Potenza S-03 Pole Position - $224
Dunlop SP Sport 9000 - $201
Continental ContiSportContact 2 - $218
Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 - $208
Michelin Pilot Sport - $246
Michelin Pilot Sport XL - $268
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S - $247
Pirelli PZero Rosso Asimmetrico - $215
Pirelli PZero System Direzionale - $216
Yokohama AVS ES100 - $168

There are a few other back ordered ones that aren't as big name.

Thoughts?

-Ben

wildwhl
07-06-04, 10:02 PM

Ben -

I have heard many a good thing about this tire and will consider it seriously when it is time for me to replace my runflats. The people that have talked this tire up to me are S4/A4, VWR32, and Sti/WRX drivers...apparently it really sticks and survives well (these are autoX type folks).

That's about all I know at the moment...

Raven05
07-06-04, 10:52 PM
Maybe a dumb ? but, will the tire pressure monitors work with non-runflat tires? :confused:

StealthV
07-06-04, 11:22 PM
The tire pressure monitor is part of the wheel, not the tire. The sensors will work fine with non-run-flats.

Slick V
07-06-04, 11:45 PM
ive heard good things about the dunlop tires, due to long life and good grip

Wienk
07-07-04, 12:14 AM
:rolleyes: I am nowhere near (I hope) the life of my new tires on my '05 V, but I need to consider the probability of some snow in the Chicago area next Winter, and I don't relish another set of wheel/tires hanging in my garage, like I now have for my BMW M Roadster, but I must admit, the roadster has NEVER been "grounded" by winter weather, so maybe extra tire/wheels is a necessity of having to live in this God-forsaken-climate! (I used to live in Southern California, but now I don't have to face that terrible traffic, so every place has its +'s and -'s)

:rolleyes2 I realize that nobody yet has any experience with much winter driving of their V's, but I am thinking that I might replace my run-flat F-1's with a decent "all-season" tire, not necessarily a run-flat. Heck, my M Roadster has never had a flat in five years' of driving, even though it never had a spare tire. (Wouldn't ya think that it would HAVE TO HAPPEN! Never did! Almost 60,000 miles to date!)

:annoyed: I happen to think that, with traction control and a bit of common sense, I can drive my V every day in Chicago area weather, just like I always have with my BMW M. Performance is pretty much the same (Well, it is until some road speed is gathered, after which the torque of the V-8 starts to make a noticeable feel of difference.) Anyway, both cars are damned quick, but I think both are fully driveable with decent tires and traction control.

The question is....

:hmm: are "All Season" tires good enough for the CTS-V? Because I know of no "Winter" tires for the car.

I know,,, I should call Tire Rack. I will! I promise! :yawn:

cadillac04
07-07-04, 12:26 AM
If Winter tires are needed in run flats I believe that Dunlop is the only mfg that has these.

Dunlop SP Winter Sport M3 and SP Winter Sport M3 DSST (Dunlop Self-Supporting Technology run-flat tires) are Performance Winter tires that were developed to blend dry road performance with snow traction. They are sized for sports cars, coupes and sedans that come from the factory equipped with low profile tires mounted on large diameter alloy wheels and are engineered to deliver performance and traction whether the road is snow-covered or not.

Both versions of the SP Winter Sport M3 feature a silica based tread compound that remains pliable in cold temperatures. Using Dunlop V-Technology, this compound is molded into a directional tread design that helps maintain good traction on wet and slush-covered roads while its high-density lateral zigzag sipes and independent tread blocks provide the edges to help bite into snow.

Both versions of the Dunlop SP Winter Sport M3 winter radials meet the industry's severe snow service requirements and are branded with the snowflake-on-the-mountain-symbol. They feature blackwall styling and are available in 65-, 60-, 55-,and 45-series, T-, H- or V-speed rated sizes for 15" to 18" wheel diameters.

miscreant
07-07-04, 12:30 AM
At 8k I'm approx. 70% worn on my stock OEM tires. I'm (publicly) considering all of my alternate options (run flat not as big a deal to me). Here is the current list (with prices from TireRack and do not include tax, shipping, mounting/balancing, etc.) all are 245-45R18 (generally W, Y or Z rated). Prices are EACH tire as of the time of this posting.

I'm open to thoughts on any experiences with any of these tires on any other (prefer similiar) vehicles. Anyone have any comments, preferences, compaints with any of the listed tires. Why would you pick one over the other? Noise, ride comfort, grip, longevity, etc. What experiences do you have or know of. If you know of any other options (nitto?) please also post those options.

There are a few other back ordered ones that aren't as big name.

Thoughts?

-Ben
1) Stay away from RE050s. They provide no appreciable increase in performance over other tires on the bunch, but WEAR OUT faster than any of them.

2) S03s are fantastic. Wear "well" and provide a ton of grip and good wet weahter.

3) Sport 9000s provide the least amount of grip of the group. They ride great (read: soft) but talk to you at the least amount of loss of grip.

4) Continentals (read same as RE050s) - "Good enough for Porsche?" - yeah cause they were the lowest bidder!

5) Gs-D3s are GREAT, except in ANY snow or ANY ice. If the road is at all slick (like oiled asphault, slight freeze, etc) they break away easy. GREAT wet tires.

6) Pilot Sports are good tires, but pricey. Probably as good as the s03s but the s03s look better. You don't need the XL, it's Reinforced and rougher riding. The A/S are great tires (3rd time running them on a car), but they don't provide as much grip as the others. Wear better though. Kinda not quite enough tire for the CTS-V.

7) Others, haven't owned.

jspinetto
07-07-04, 01:42 AM
I have had the S-03 and also the GS-D3's. I had the GS-D3's on my 03 CTS 5spd and they made a night and day differance on that car, but forget any snow or ice with those tires. You can even go 5mph without breaking lose the rear end. When I got stuck in snow I just had to park it and wait for someone to pick me up!!! As for the s-03's they too were also a great tire and they seemed to wear less than my GS-D3's.

Jonathan

benjet
07-07-04, 02:22 AM
Everyone - Thanks for all the replies - keep them comin!

wildwhl - those cars are AWD (and lighter) and therefore may have a different tire application to a high TQ car like a Z06 or the like, but apparently many others like them (not discounting your contribution).

Wienk - I'm in CA, so I don't have an ice/snow need but I'm glad you brought up your dilema as well, it's certainly something that plays a role for yourself and others on this forum.

miscreant - as always I (we) are thankfull for your continued contributions!

Everyone else again thanks. I *was* leaning towards trying the Yoko's because several of my BMW friends seems to like the AVS Sport? (but those are not the ES100), and heck if they are gonna wear out every 10k why not try the cheaper ones first. I don't have good experience with prior Goodyear HiPo tires (prior to F1 series), but I could be convinced to try them again. The S-03 are about even so far with those (by recommendation).

-Ben

wildwhl
07-07-04, 03:07 AM
Everyone - Thanks for all the replies - keep them comin!

wildwhl - those cars are AWD (and lighter) and therefore may have a different tire application to a high TQ car like a Z06 or the like, but apparently many others like them (not discounting your contribution).

-Ben

Ben -

Good point, I hadn't considered that. Sounds like they may not be for me since my V will for certain see occasional slick conditions (ice and OH MY GOD possibly even snow).

Let us know what you end up with and how you like them, please.

Wildwhl

Cal
07-07-04, 03:13 AM
I am very pleased with the Pilot Sport XLs, but yes they are indeed expensive. So far the wear even on track and heavy driving conditions (not all-weather, forget about those in the rain) has been good. No complaints.

Dreamin
07-07-04, 03:19 AM
S03's are amazing tires.

Another tire to consider: Toyo Proxes T1-S -- $180
Great ride, very quiet, good dry handling (not an S03, but close), great wet handling, will outlast the S03, and it's a *very* light tire (unsprung weight)... it was the spec tire for the Speedvision World Challenge!

A few more opinions: http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61487

JEM
07-07-04, 05:18 AM

No experience with them.

I'd like to say I love them, they've got excellent grip (maybe not so much as the older S-02 or the MXX3/Pilot Sport PS2) and are quite civilized.

But...I've had two of the S-03s on my M5 develop belt separation - one front enough to develop a shimmy, and one rear enough to start leaking. I've gone to Pilot Sports on the M5 (I'd have done PS2s but they weren't available in those sizes yet.)

Comfortable, nice soft ride, nowhere near top-drawer in grip.

A shop I use for chassis work (at least what I don't do myself) loves them, no personal experience yet. Just ordered a set for my wife's car.

My only exposure to them has been a few minutes of peaceful motoring, but I know several folks who love them.

It was a coin-flip whether to go for these or the Contis for the spousal wheels.

The Pilot Sport is a safe choice - good grip, good behavior, reasonable life. You don't need the all-season version here in the Bay Area, do you?

If you're after serious grip, you might see if the Pilot Sport PS2 is available. So far as I understand it, it's the Pilot Sport carcass with the tread of the old MXX3; the blockier tread sticks better.

Pirelli likes to confuse things. There's the original PZero, the PZero Nero (the newer dry-grip tire), and the PZero Rosso (the newer comfort/wet tire.)

I love the old PZero Asimmetrico, the asymmetric tread with the very closed outer-edge rib (anyone remember the old Yokohama A008?) are a big help for Macstrut cars without enough camber curve - it's the only thing I'll put on our old Saab (the 205/50-16 is also pretty cheap.) We get surprisingly good life out of them.

The Direzionale is, according to Pirelli, only for the front of light cars.

I have no personal experience with the Neros or Rossos. Once again, I'd think if you want to go that way you're looking more Nero than Rosso.

globed70
07-07-04, 10:00 AM
I've had nothing but good experiences with Michelin, the older MXX3 on my Viper GTS and the Pilot Sport on my M5. When it's time to replace on my V, I will look to Michelin first. I've always found their wet weather handling to be great, and have used them for extended periods at high speeds (120-160mph).

Prior to the Michelins on the M5, I had the Dunlops 9000 tires... I didn't like their dry or wet handling characteristics as much... but then again without the label many guys might pick a tire other than their favorite.

I replaced Pirelli PZeros on my Porsche 993 with Contisports... the Contis were louder, handled better in the rain and worse in the dry... and they chunked on the track more than others.

I used to hear alot of good things about Bridgestone from the Porsche guys when they were S02 verions, but haven't heard anything good lately.

My take on all-weather tires is that they are a compromise... High Performance tires obviously handle better in the dry AND IMHO in the rain... while dedicated winter tires (Blizzak) deal with snow very well. Like when dealing with your wife/girlfriend, a compromise means neither side is happy. :lildevil:

lasstss
07-07-04, 07:02 PM
Interesting combinations here. I have run wide michelin pilots. Good grip. Wear like erasers!

Toyo Proxes, guiet good wear, good grip.

P-0's good lateral grip good wear, quiet. Terrible at the dragstrip.

I have the opposite experiance with the 9000's. Excellant handling dry or rain, quiet, excellent at the dragstrip. Pretty good wear.

These were 285-40-18's as I remember. Narrower tires perform differently than the fat boys. IMO..

Rich H
07-08-04, 12:21 AM
Pirelli likes to confuse things. There's the original PZero, the PZero Nero (the newer dry-grip tire), and the PZero Rosso (the newer comfort/wet tire.)
The P Zero Nero is advertised as an all season M&S tire. Its fairly new and its the top rated ultra performance all season tire on tirerack.com. Supposedly available in V tire size at W rating. Price and tread wear also seems reasonable. I have no expereince with Pirelli tires other than on motorcycles but I think I'll give them a try when the F1s wear out.

ctsvett
07-08-04, 12:47 AM
Not to thread hijack here, but:

If you replace the runflat tires with non runflat, the guy at the dealer was telling me that you can possibly crush the Tire pressure sensor (~$300 ea) if you ever got a flat tire. Is this true?

OEM tires are way too expensive for me so they are not an option, but I dont want to end up costing myself more later.

Can the car be run without the Tire pressure sensors or will the car freak out? (I remember the guys running the silver state had a problem like this).. Can you disable the sensors or just stick the sensors in the trunk? What option do you have?

Reed
CTSVETT
Http://www.cadillacfaq.com

Dreamin
07-08-04, 02:05 AM
Also, if you're planning on using a tire repair kit, the goop will ruin the sensors.

Based on C5 info, haven't tried it on the V... If you run without sensors, you will get a "service tire monitoring system" error message on start-up.

You can:
1) Do nothing, and live with resetting the error msg at startup.

2) Get LS1Edit and turn TPM system off.

3) Find a dealer, or someone with a GM Tech-2 programming tool, and get them to turn the TPM system off. This will eliminate the error messages. The procedure would be found here: http://stopforce.com/RPO.html These instructions are intended for Z06 owners wishing to install sensors and enable the TPM system, but you can use the info to also disable the system by setting it accordingly.

Cal
07-08-04, 02:42 AM
Cannonball Run or whatever (One Slap of America) the V's were using aftermarket wheels and having major problems with being unable to drive hard due to tire sensor errors. That's what people talked about at the time, I suspect the car doesn't like being put at high speeds when it thinks the tires are flat (duh).

That crushing of the sensors does stink.

benjet
07-08-04, 02:42 AM
If you replace the runflat tires with non runflat, the guy at the dealer was telling me that you can possibly crush the Tire pressure sensor (~$300 ea) if you ever got a flat tire. Is this true?
Sure it's *POSSIBLE* if your tire fails (depending on the failure etc.).

I *BELIEVE* the pn# for the sensor to be - 25763677 (please verify before ordering this item). Copy from GMParts Direct (each w/o shipping - but gives you an idea on sensor pricing):

GM LIST: $82.47
OUR PRICE: $47.01

It's a risk I'm willing to take. YMMV.

-Ben

Cal
07-08-04, 02:44 AM
Yeah stop listening to 'the guy at the dealer' who wants you to make his car payment with your 300% marked-up sensors. :cool:

JEM
07-08-04, 11:18 AM
The P Zero Nero is advertised as an all season M&S tire.

Yeah, I had the Nero and Rosso backward.

Rich H
07-08-04, 11:59 PM
I agree with the small liklihood of crushing a tire sensor with a non-run flat tire. It would take a catastrophic blow-out to deflate the tire fast enough where you couldn't respond to low tire pressure and pull over. I think the ~50 bucks or so you could lose if you damaged the sensor is worth the trade off of spending a lot less for non-EMTs. Of course, you have to also weigh in the cost (and space) of a spare tire, wheel, & jack.

JEM
07-09-04, 11:19 AM
I agree with the small liklihood of crushing a tire sensor with a non-run flat tire.

Bear in mind that driving more than a minimal distance at any speed on a truly flat tire will destroy the rim, never mind the pressure sensor, so I wouldn't spend too much time fretting over the sensor.

benjet
08-24-04, 02:29 PM
Time to bring this thread back to life!

So if EMT/RFT is required there are only 3 choices that fit STOCK size (the Mich Pilot Sport EMT/RFT are NOT availabel in this size)

1. STOCK Goodyear F1 Supercar
2. Bridgestone RE-40 (I think)
3. Dunlop (I cant' recall the model off hand)

Both 2 & 3 are a significant step down from #1.

For non-EMT/RFT - we add Falken's to list posted as the top of this thread.

Just off the phone with one of the TireRack Test Drivers (who has driven all of the tires below) Based on his suggestions - The current (IMHO) top choice list should look like this:

1. Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 - $208 (less $75 rebate on 4 - for the next 48 hours or so) - nearly as good dry performance/handling (as the stock Supercars), MUCH better wet handling, quieter and hopefully a little better treadlife (12k-15k).

2. Yokohama AVS ES100 - $168 - Not quite *AS* good performance wise as GS-D3 but you should be able to expect 15k-20k out of them.

3. Michelin Pilot Sport A/S - $247 If you need all weather this maybe the way to go, should hope to see 20k out of them. He said he would recommend the A/S over the non-A/S as they are very close to the same but the A/S has a much better treadlife.

4. Bridgestone Potenza S-03 Pole Position - $224 about the same wear and handling of the Yokohama's but you paying a premium over them (for no good reason).

I'm leaning towards trying the GS-D3 and next time the AVS E100 OR TOYO PROXES.

Any thoughts?

-Ben

miscreant
08-24-04, 02:44 PM
Time to bring this thread back to life!

So if EMT/RFT is required there are only 3 choices that fit STOCK size (the Mich Pilot Sport EMT/RFT are NOT availabel in this size)

1. STOCK Goodyear F1 Supercar
2. Bridgestone RE-40 (I think)
3. Dunlop (I cant' recall the model off hand)

Both 2 & 3 are a significant step down from #1.

For non-EMT/RFT - we add Falken's to list posted as the top of this thread.

Just off the phone with one of the TireRack Test Drivers (who has driven all of the tires below) Based on his suggestions - The current (IMHO) top choice list should look like this:

1. Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 - $208 (less $75 rebate on 4 - for the next 48 hours or so) - nearly as good dry performance/handling (as the stock Supercars), MUCH better wet handling, quieter and hopefully a little better treadlife (12k-15k).

2. Yokohama AVS ES100 - $168 - Not quite *AS* good performance wise as GS-D3 but you should be able to expect 15k-20k out of them.

3. Michelin Pilot Sport A/S - $247 If you need all weather this maybe the way to go, should hope to see 20k out of them. He said he would recommend the A/S over the non-A/S as they are very close to the same but the A/S has a much better treadlife.

4. Bridgestone Potenza S-03 Pole Position - $224 about the same wear and handling of the Yokohama's but you paying a premium over them (for no good reason).

I'm leaning towards trying the GS-D3 and next time the AVS E100.

Any thoughts?

-Ben

I'll add my thoughts if you don't mind:

GS-D3s are the best overall. The Yokos are not as good as is reflected in the tirerack surveys - the yokos tend to be purchased by people who aren't ready to spend the big bucks on the really good stuff - but they are typically much better than what they had previously, so they get good marks. Also, just a word to the wise, the Sport A/S's do NOT lock up near as well as the regular Sports. I don't believe the A/S's are as good, near as good, as the Sports when it comes to launching. They work well on my car because I need the A/S capability, and I don't have 395lbs of tq. However, they still have great roll resistance and handling characteristics, but unless you NEED A/S capability and NEED excellent wear, you will sacrifice with the A/S's....

Add: The SO-3s are much better than the Yokos in MHO...

StealthV
08-24-04, 02:45 PM
Leaning towards the GS-D3 as well after winter is over. In a few months I plan to mount some winter tires on the stock wheels and then purhase aftermarket 19" for the good "summer" wheels.

benjet
08-24-04, 02:51 PM
Let me clairfy one thing -

Add to the list at the very top of this thread (non-EMT/RFT)

Falken (choice of 2 models in the proper size)
Toyo Proxes (the SCCA World Challenge spec tire)
Nitto

bc TireRack doesnt carry those I couldnt get him to offer up any opinions on them, but they should be worth checking out as well.

-Ben

urbanski
08-24-04, 03:09 PM
well since this is back to life...

what are you non-EMT buyers going to use as flat protection?

Buying the SRX 18s?
Gobs of that green tire stuff?

benjet
08-24-04, 03:27 PM

Buying the SRX 18s?

I dont think the SRX wheels will fit (hasnt this been discussed before?).

I (for the moment) plan to use the goop. I have already had a nail in my EMT cost me $40 to fix (instead of posted $20) @ Goodyear shop. I can't justify the cost/wear/poor wet performance associated with the EMT, and plan to buy a spare TPS just in case.

Current plan price 4xGS-D3 = $800 (incl delivery, factoring in the $75 rebate), plus the spare TPS (assume $80) and a bottle of goop (assume $10). Puts me <$900 plus mouting, balancing etc.

Replace with 4 Stock EMT's $1350 (delivered) plus moutning balancing, etc.

Dreamin
08-24-04, 03:37 PM
If someone wants my stock goodyears... i would sell them... they have ~1500miles.

benjet
08-24-04, 03:42 PM
If someone wants my stock goodyears... i would sell them... they have ~1500miles.

It's a thought, PM with an idea of what $ you might want to see, what are you running instead?

Blades
08-24-04, 03:43 PM
I wish they made a 555R-II in the V size.. They are very limited in size right now, as they are new.. Drag Radial compound with a stiff sidewall.. Now that would be a great dry traction tire...

But my vote goes to the GS-D3s..

urbanski
08-24-04, 09:11 PM
I dont think the SRX wheels will fit (hasnt this been discussed before?).

I (for the moment) plan to use the goop. I have already had a nail in my EMT cost me $40 to fix (instead of posted $20) @ Goodyear shop. I can't justify the cost/wear/poor wet performance associated with the EMT, and plan to buy a spare TPS just in case.

Current plan price 4xGS-D3 = $800 (incl delivery, factoring in the $75 rebate), plus the spare TPS (assume $80) and a bottle of goop (assume $10). Puts me <$900 plus mouting, balancing etc.

Replace with 4 Stock EMT's $1350 (delivered) plus moutning balancing, etc.
yep, been discussed, i think the offset was a bit off...I'm old and senile :)

so, some goop, a cig-lighter air pump, and non-EMTs and you'd be comfortable taking family trips in it?

thanks.

Dreamin
08-24-04, 09:19 PM
it's cuz the SRX spare is 17"... And the tire is a 145/70/17 => 25" tall... way to short.

wildwhl
08-24-04, 10:03 PM
yep, been discussed, i think the offset was a bit off...I'm old and senile :)

so, some goop, a cig-lighter air pump, and non-EMTs and you'd be comfortable taking family trips in it?

thanks.

Those items, along with OnStar and/or your cell phone for major blowouts.

I intend to go GS-D3's when it is time and carry goop and a pump. I suppose there is some risk to this approach, but I'm willing to live with it.

Dreamin
08-24-04, 10:19 PM
Got a flat on my other car over the weekend... looked like a friggin' rose thorn!!

When i lose my EMT's... i'm going to have to figure out a plan for a spare and throw it in the trunk for the long trips...

Cal
08-25-04, 10:22 PM

Buying the SRX 18s?

My cel phone and a tow truck?

Slick V
08-26-04, 12:06 AM
Are the Goodyear Eagle F1's any good?

http://www.goodyeartires.com/goodyeartireselector/display_tire.jsp?prodline=Eagle+F1&mrktarea=Performance

benjet
08-26-04, 03:03 AM
Are the Goodyear Eagle F1's any good?

http://www.goodyeartires.com/goodyeartireselector/display_tire.jsp?prodline=Eagle+F1&mrktarea=Performance

No idea (if they are any good) but they sure are pricey (for non-EMTs). Hmm... why aren't these on the TireRack Website? things that make you go hmmm...

Add these to the list - of tires that will fit in STOCK size.
-Ben

benjet
08-26-04, 05:46 AM
Corvette Article comparing S0-3, MPS (Mich Pilot Sport) and Goodyear GS-D3.

Some may find this vaulable or of interest - http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/kb/question.php?qstId=480

CVP33
08-27-04, 11:40 PM
My Goodyear F1 GS-D3's arrived today, exactly 30 hours after I ordered them from Tire Rack. Pleasantly surprised that the 2-3 day delivery actually gets done in 1! I will be installing them tomorrow and will report my impressions. BTW, they look REALLY cool. :bouncy:

Dreamin
08-28-04, 01:39 AM
Tirerack delivery times are down-right spooky sometimes... if they were any faster... tires would arrive before you ordered them

benjet
11-08-04, 02:57 PM

Added to the above list:

NEXEN N3000
Goodyear Eagle RS-A
Goodyear Eagle F-1 (non-runflat, non-supercar)
Falken Falken Azenis ST115
Falken GR Beta FK-451
Toyo Proxes (the SCCA World Challenge spec tire) in both race and street versions
Nitto (choice of 2 models in the proper size)
Hankook Ventus Sport K104

I think there are even a few more...

Dreamin
11-08-04, 05:01 PM
What are you getting??

DgtalPimp
11-08-04, 05:09 PM
Those items, along with OnStar and/or your cell phone for major blowouts.

I intend to go GS-D3's when it is time and carry goop and a pump. I suppose there is some risk to this approach, but I'm willing to live with it.

On my blow out of the Nitto I had on the front, I used OnStar and watched a DVD while the truck was in route. I would reccomed keeping a DVD in the car to watch during this wait. Amount I paid for the flat was zero, Onstar is still under teh free period, and the flat totaly destoryed the Nitto and Discount replace for free.

JEM
11-08-04, 08:41 PM
Corvette Article comparing S0-3, MPS (Mich Pilot Sport) and Goodyear GS-D3.

Some may find this vaulable or of interest - http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/kb/question.php?qstId=480

Only problem with that article is that it looks like most of the comparison was provided by Goodyear and perhaps too much of it was dependent on wet-weather performance.

What I hear from folks who've run the GS-D3 for a while is that it's got very good overall grip and it's very civilized but it's a little 'soft' - so the ride quality is very good but the turn-in isn't as crisp as the S-03 etc.

As a daily-driver tire it'd probably be my first choice, but I'd expect the Conti SportContact2, the S-03, and probably the PZero beat it for maximum dry-road grip.

drdsgolf
11-09-04, 05:34 PM
OK, here goes. After reading all the tire threads on this website, I went back to my friend who runs the Goodyear store here by me. I ordered four Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3's. I told him that others on our website seemed to be abandoning the very pricey run-flats and finding various ways to create a spare tire and the room in the trunk for the spare by removing the annoying tub. A few people had mentioned buying a Mille Miglia 18x8 wheel for $249 from Tire Rack I believe. My buddy searched around and through a company called American Tire Distributors found a wheel made by Pacer that will work as a spare with one of my older OEM run flats (the one with a little tread left I guess). Anyway the Pacer wheel is model Pacer 272M Affinity and the price was $100. Apparently American Tire Distributors only works with Tire Dealers, so if you are buying your tires on your own I couldn't find anyone selling this wheel online. Meanwhile there is a $75 Goodyear rebate going on as well. Hope this is helpful.

David

benjet
11-09-04, 05:49 PM
drdsgolf,

Thanks for the post/update, seems like the logical chioce the GS-D3's. On the Pacer 272M Affinity I can only find that wheel in 18x7.5 which will NOT fit our tire size (rim is too narrow/width wise), if you DID manage to get it in 18x8 (and 6 lug), I'd be interested in hearing about it. The $75 rebate is on again off again, so timing is rather important. I'm leaning towards trying something else entirely just to be different (and I'll swap rides in a GS-D3 equiped V at somepoint). Right now my car continues to develop other issues which make tires a low priority.

StealthV
11-09-04, 05:52 PM
http://www.pacerwheels.com/WheelWizard/showcar.asp?carcode=20323&style=272M&diameter=18.00&width=7.50&mfg=Pacer

benjet
11-09-04, 05:59 PM
One more thing....TOL (thinking out loud)....

As soon as GM/Cadillac releases the Secondary wheels for the CTS-V (they were pictured in the 2004 V brochure as dealer installed options like the Corsa - they look alot like the Z06 wheels) there should be a steady supply of used (and resonably priced) stock V rims on the market, but that's pure speculation on my part.

-Ben

Dreamin
11-09-04, 07:31 PM
On the Pacer 272M Affinity I can only find that wheel in 18x7.5 which will NOT fit our tire size (rim is too narrow/width wise)

Ben... totally HMO... but I would not hestitate to put a 245/45/18 on a 7.5" rim as a spare... it's not the best setup for handling... but you're not going to be road racing on it.

FWIW, the cheaper 245/45/18 tires Tirerack sells... show 7.5" as an "improved rim width":
Avon Tech M550 $141
Continental ContiTouringContact CH95 $145

Dreamin
11-09-04, 07:40 PM
http://midstatetire.org/Pacer%20FWD%20Wheels_files/image020.jpg

drdsgolf: Do you know (or can you get) the offset for this wheel... it's shown as a FWD wheel, so it's offset may not clear the brakes.

benjet
11-09-04, 07:42 PM
Ben... totally HMO... but I would not hestitate to put a 245/45/18 on a 7.5" rim as a spare... it's not the best setup for handling... but you're not going to be road racing on it.

FWIW, the cheaper 245/45/18 tires Tirerack sells... show 7.5" as an "improved rim width":
Avon Tech M550 $141
Continental ContiTouringContact CH95 $145

Uh yeah, that maybe ok for some other tires options BUT the GY EMT has really stiff sidewalls, which I don't *THINK* (off the top of my head here) will like the 7.5 width. Might have to re-check that with your local GY shop.

I'm still back and forth on GS-D3 and the TOYO Proxes, I've heard good and bad from users of both, and now with the GY rebate price is similar as well.

Dreamin
11-09-04, 07:45 PM
...though the GY EMT runs small as far as 245/45's go...

urbanski
11-09-04, 08:22 PM
isn't there some "new generation" GY EMT on the new C6?
it come in our size?

benjet
11-09-04, 08:28 PM
isn't there some "new generation" GY EMT on the new C6?
it come in our size?

From the Chevy site:

The standard Goodyear Eagle F1 Extended Mobility Tires are engineered specifically for the Corvette and designed to travel at least 100 miles at 55 mph if necessary with 0 pounds of air pressure. Yet the tires features more road-holding ability with better compliance and significantly lower tread noise. Z51 Performance Package Corvettes get a special tire known as the Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar EMT. Its asymmetrical tread provides higher overall performance and grip in dry conditions.

Spec Sizes are as follows:
Tires, front P245/40ZR-18, Extended Mobility, Eagle F1
Tires, rear P285/35ZR-19, Extended Mobility, Eagle F1

drdsgolf
11-09-04, 09:31 PM
Funny thing, dreamin, but my friend was on the phone with American Tire Distributors while we were working on this, and the guy distinctly said it was an 18x8 inch wheel. Was he shucking and jiving?

ds

drdsgolf
11-18-04, 01:39 AM
Well, I got my new Eagle F1 GS-D3 tires today and they are outstanding. Less good news on the spare tire front. The Pacer wheel came in, and although it is 18x8, it is not a six lug wheel and we couldn't use it, so we ordered a milli vanilli (mille miglia), was able to get it for $210. I am now awaiting my new Corsa exhaust.

ds

benjet
11-19-04, 10:15 PM
I'm about to roll over 15k (and 9 months of V ownership), I told myself if I can push the OEM F-1's to 15k I will try to, and I did (let's just say there isn't much tread left). I was on the fence before about the Toyo Proxes vs. the GS-D3, now I'm on the GS-D3 vs. Mich Pilot PS2 fence. When you factor in the (current) GY rebate price is close enough to not be a factor. Here's what I have discovered - Both perform very well in dry conditions, while the GS-D3 will achieve slightly faster laptimes (overall a better "performing" tire), it doesn't have the stable response (feel as planted) as the MPS2 - but this is supposedly a VERY minor disctinction/difference between the two. The GS-D3 will handle better in STANDING water (not sure how much of that I have to deal with - San Francisco's climate isn't known for torrential rains). They are about even in just plain wet road. The MPS2 is (supposedly) significantly quieter (less road noise) and I've heard that to be a medium to large factor (driver/car dependent) with the crappy roads we have around here. Both should last more than 15k, but (and here is what is currently winning me over - along with road noise) the MPS2 are non-directional so they can be rotated to all positions, this should extend their lives to an expected 20k, the GS-D3 can only be swapped front to back.

Thoughts?

CVP33
11-19-04, 10:55 PM
benjet,

I turned 17,600 miles today after 9 months as well. I've had two sets of runflats. My originals, plus Cal's used ones with about 85% tread life. Switched to the GS-D3's at the end of August and I am extremely pleased. I've lit these babies up many times and still can't see any signs of these tires giving in. I would estimate the tread life at 12-15,000 miles vs. 5-6,000 for the runflats. The ride is very nice, grip is excellent and noise is average to good. I do have to contend with standing water, especially this year and have yet to have the first hint of hydro-planing or any loss of grip. I do believe that once you get into the upper tier of tire makers you can't go wrong. The Bridgestones, Michelins and Goodyears are all great tires.

thebigjimsho
11-20-04, 12:01 AM
Uh yeah, that maybe ok for some other tires options BUT the GY EMT has really stiff sidewalls, which I don't *THINK* (off the top of my head here) will like the 7.5 width. Might have to re-check that with your local GY shop.

I'm still back and forth on GS-D3 and the TOYO Proxes, I've heard good and bad from users of both, and now with the GY rebate price is similar as well.
One of the more disappointing things with my old SHO was the unbelievably narrow rim width. I had a 16x6 wheel with a 215/60 16 tire. Now, I ran probably 5 different types of tires on that narrow rim. And the Goodyear GT+4 was the tire I ended up liking most and going back to. The reason was that the Goodyear had by far the stiffest sidewalls of the tires I tried. Stiff sidewalls are better for narrow rims.

Going to next point. For autocrossing, I had 16x7.5" wheels with 225/50 16 BF Goodrich R1s mounted. And that was an unbelievable combo with all the suspension work that was done on the SHO. So if 225mm on a 7.5" wide wheel worked remarkably well, I wouldn't think twice about 245. It'll be fine.

thebigjimsho
11-20-04, 12:08 AM

Added to the above list:

NEXEN N3000
Goodyear Eagle RS-A
Goodyear Eagle F-1 (non-runflat, non-supercar)
Falken Falken Azenis ST115
Falken GR Beta FK-451
Toyo Proxes (the SCCA World Challenge spec tire) in both race and street versions
Nitto (choice of 2 models in the proper size)
Hankook Ventus Sport K104

I think there are even a few more...Now I know this is for information purposes and I want people to be fully informed, but..........If anybody EVER puts a set of Goodyear Eagle RS-As on their V, I will personally come down to smack them. I don't care if you live in Alaska, I'll be there. I do not understand how those things are still in existence. They were the stock tires on my dad's '95 Lumina LS. WAY too soft even for that car. C&D tested the latest Gen Eclipse and hated the handling.......until they found out it was mostly the RS-As. And that has happened with quite a few cars. They mention their hatred for the tire themselves.

As for the Toyo Proxes that were run in the C&D challenge, those are the tires I may get next. But those are specifically the RA-1s. And those DO NOT come in our size. But you can get them in a 245/40 18.

benjet
11-21-04, 11:21 PM
Pulling my foot out of my mouth here, the MPS2's are not offered (as of this moment) in the *absolute* STOCK size (referencing my own thread title - DUH!), would have to go 245/40/18. For anyone considering this route the GS-D3 are $211 (less the current offer rebate thing ~$20 tire) list from TR (not shipped installed etc.)for 245/45/18, while the MPS2 are on special (245/40/18 NOT XL) for $225.

benjet
11-27-04, 03:39 PM
I finally caved and ordered a set of the GS-D3's while the rebate was still on. They go on next week. My OEM rears are as bald as bald can be. Just had full alignment done (in advance of the new rubber going on), Toe was off considerably (go figure) all the way around. I wish I had the alignment report the dealer did @ 3k to compare.

Novi
06-22-05, 06:20 PM
Not to thread hijack here, but:

OEM tires are way too expensive for me so they are not an option, but I dont want to end up costing myself more later.

Can the car be run without the Tire pressure sensors or will the car freak out? (I remember the guys running the silver state had a problem like this).. Can you disable the sensors or just stick the sensors in the trunk? What option do you have?

Reed
CTSVETT
Http://www.cadillacfaq.com
I crushed the sensor when one of my F1 runflat's failed and I had to drive 50 miles on the runflat (it does work as intended)

The sensor's are very large and protrude inward towards the center of the wheel so any sharp impact or extended driving on the deflated tire will break the sensor; runflat or not.

BTW, I pay about $100 per sensor thru my tire dealer.

AmesCTS-V
06-22-05, 06:30 PM
Between my GTO and SS I've ran a bunch of different tires. The GS-D3's were very good as are the S03's. But, I'd give the BFG KDW2's a slight edge.

LV_V
06-22-05, 06:32 PM
Has anyone checked out the BFGoodrich KDW2 245 45 18 as stock tire replacements? Only $165 each at tirerack.com without the road hazard warranty.

AmesCTS-V
06-22-05, 06:39 PM
Has anyone checked out the BFGoodrich KDW2 245 45 18 as stock tire replacements? Only $165 each at tirerack.com without the road hazard warranty.
That follows my post well:) KDW2's will be the first set of replacement tires I get for sure.

Like I said on my GTO I found that the GS-D3 and S03's were pretty comparable and very good tires. I'd say the GS-D3's look better and the S03's grip a little better. The KDW2's look the best of the 3 and seem to grip similar to the S03's, but I have the KDW2's on my AWD Silvy so I could be wrong; the other 2 I had on my GTO.

thebigjimsho
06-22-05, 07:36 PM
The day I buy tires because the tread looks cool, I permit any of you to shoot me, beat me or kick me in the nads.

AmesCTS-V
06-22-05, 08:14 PM
The day I buy tires because the tread looks cool, I permit any of you to shoot me, beat me or kick me in the nads.
The tread and sidewall can effect the looks of the car a lot. On my GTO I switched from the factory KDW tires to GS-D3 tires and the appearance difference was huge.

From what you say try some Michelin Sports, they perform very well, but I promise people will notice and will say the tires are ugly. I've seen guys that aren't appearance mod guys get rid of the Sports because they are ugly.

Dreamin
06-22-05, 10:11 PM
Sorry man.. owned a lot of cars... owned a lot of tires... people have said a lot of NASTY things about me and my cars in my life... but they have NEVER TRASH-TALKED MY TIRES!!! :)

AmesCTS-V
06-23-05, 12:39 AM
Wasn't saying bad things about your car. Wasn't trying to rip on your tires in particular, but if you have Michelin Pilots, then I'm just saying what I've heard/seen myself. Great tires, just really ugly and even non-car people seem to notice that. If you put them on for the track and switch them out to drive home it's all good:)

thebigjimsho
06-23-05, 02:13 AM
Kind of like asking people to a wine tasting who swear the boxed stuff tastes the best. Must be that plastic lining.

If anybody told me the PS2 is ugly looking, I'd laugh in their face. That is what a performance tire is supposed to look like. To me, someone who knows better, it gets my notice like seeing a Ferrari would. I think the Continental ContiSportContact 2 V-Max is the meanest looking street tire on earth. The PS2 is pretty close to that.

In fact, the GS-D3, T1-S/R and the Yokohama AVS Sport all look like downgrades to me. Unless you're dealing with treadless slicks, a tire with multiple continuous ribs usually has the best handling traits. The 3 I mentioned, along with the BFGoodrich T/A KDW2, all are great tires. They're just not the best. And I wouldn't let people who know nothing but how to rice up their rides tell me differently.

http://www.conti-online.com/generator/www/us/en/continental/automobile/themes/pc_tyres/uh_performance/conti_sport_contact_2_vmax/master_en.html

AmesCTS-V
06-23-05, 02:34 AM
Kind of like asking people to a wine tasting who swear the boxed stuff tastes the best. Must be that plastic lining.

If anybody told me the PS2 is ugly looking, I'd laugh in their face. That is what a performance tire is supposed to look like. To me, someone who knows better, it gets my notice like seeing a Ferrari would. I think the Continental ContiSportContact 2 V-Max is the meanest looking street tire on earth. The PS2 is pretty close to that.

In fact, the GS-D3, T1-S/R and the Yokohama AVS Sport all look like downgrades to me. Unless you're dealing with treadless slicks, a tire with multiple continuous ribs usually has the best handling traits. The 3 I mentioned, along with the BFGoodrich T/A KDW2, all are great tires. They're just not the best. And I wouldn't let people who know nothing but how to rice up their rides tell me differently.

http://www.conti-online.com/generator/www/us/en/continental/automobile/themes/pc_tyres/uh_performance/conti_sport_contact_2_vmax/master_en.html
Whoaaa, I say the Michelins are ugly and now I know nothing about rides, but how to rice them up? Seriously I wasn't trying to personally offend you. I've been to plenty of shows with car guys that don't like the bling and the Sports got bad reviews.

FYI, I've done way more performance mods to my GTO than appearance mods and I do them all myself. If you've been looking at my site I mainly post the appearance mods because that's what people want to see. A pic of a cam or heads going in doesn't get looked at I know.

I never said anything bad about the Sports performance, in fact I said they were good, just ugly. Some people will like them, but the majority of people who don't even notice tires will see they stand out and call them ugly, sorry I've seen it first hand.

I'll drop this since I've obviously hit a nerve, sorry for saying what I've seen first hand.

thebigjimsho
06-23-05, 03:28 AM
Whoaaa, I say the Michelins are ugly and now I know nothing about rides, but how to rice them up? Seriously I wasn't trying to personally offend you. I've been to plenty of shows with car guys that don't like the bling and the Sports got bad reviews.

FYI, I've done way more performance mods to my GTO than appearance mods and I do them all myself. If you've been looking at my site I mainly post the appearance mods because that's what people want to see. A pic of a cam or heads going in doesn't get looked at I know.

I never said anything bad about the Sports performance, in fact I said they were good, just ugly. Some people will like them, but the majority of people who don't even notice tires will see they stand out and call them ugly, sorry I've seen it first hand.

I'll drop this since I've obviously hit a nerve, sorry for saying what I've seen first hand.Sorry, but you need to reread my post. I'm not talking about YOU. I'm talking about people you seem to be worried about. When it comes to engines and/or things mechanical, you probably know more than I do. But I've been interested in tires and suspensions since I was little and if someone came up to me and told me my tires were ugly, I'd laugh. And then I'd leave them with 2 nice, long black marks to remember me by.

In no way was that post a slight to you. Just your self-confidence.

AmesCTS-V
06-23-05, 03:35 AM
I was the only one talking with you about it so I had to assume it was directed at me. At car shows I usually pay more attention to what the non-car people say, like the wives and regular joe's that show up. The car guys tend to be into the bling or old school, rarely middle of the road.

I personally keep my opinions to myself at car shows when I don't like something. But, a nice burn out would be a good response to someone ripping your ride.

globed70
06-23-05, 11:11 AM

Well, I'll sign up for the nad kicking... :)

I guess if two tires had near identical performance, you might decide on which design you prefer... but replacing or choosing tires based on tread pattern - you must be kidding.

Point in case, I have GS-D3s and personally dislike the V pattern... but they met my criteria for performance, and that was that. BTW, I like the look of Michelin tires.

CVP33
06-23-05, 07:22 PM
I need some pretty tires. Hoping to have a custom shop convert some GY RSA's into Vogues. :coolgleam This way I have the superior performance of RSA's and the look! Please don't be playa' haters. :shhh:

Dreamin
06-23-05, 09:29 PM
And let's not forgot the BFG Scorcher... which came in all the popular gang colors...
http://img.epinions.com/images/opti/88/5f/BF_Goodrich_Scorcher_T_A_Red_Passenger_Performance _Tire1-resized200.jpghttp://img.epinions.com/images/opti/a1/e0/BF_Goodrich_Scorcher_T_A_ZR_Blue_Passenger_Perform ance_Tire1-resized200.jpghttp://img.epinions.com/images/opti/5e/e0/autoTiresAllBF_Goodrich_Scorcher_TA_Yellow-resized200.jpg

2004ctsv
06-23-05, 10:06 PM
And let's not forgot the BFG Scorcher... which came in all the popular gang colors...
http://img.epinions.com/images/opti/88/5f/BF_Goodrich_Scorcher_T_A_Red_Passenger_Performance _Tire1-resized200.jpghttp://img.epinions.com/images/opti/a1/e0/BF_Goodrich_Scorcher_T_A_ZR_Blue_Passenger_Perform ance_Tire1-resized200.jpghttp://img.epinions.com/images/opti/5e/e0/autoTiresAllBF_Goodrich_Scorcher_TA_Yellow-resized200.jpg

Can I get them in black? You know, to match my car too. I'll bet they're faster.

Tony

thebigjimsho
06-24-05, 01:24 AM
I need some pretty tires. Hoping to have a custom shop convert some GY RSA's into Vogues. :coolgleam This way I have the superior performance of RSA's and the look! Please don't be playa' haters. :shhh:Ohhhh, hohoho. You are a one a wild and a craaaaazy a guy!!

Sullyfx
07-29-11, 12:05 AM
As a newbie to this forum I need to start posting. This conversation is right up my alley since I work for Michelin.... Yes a little biast, but I also see the raw data from testing. The new Pilot Sport is amazing! It was the first upgrade I did to mine. Its all about bang for the buck though right?

PJGross
07-29-11, 12:12 PM
This thread was 6 years old. Ironic you found a 6 year old thread on tires to reply to and you just happen to work for a tire company?

I'm not sure about the forum rules on pushing products, but I'm sure there are more current, relevant tire discussion threads that could benefit from some biased contributions.

-PJ

darkman
07-29-11, 12:21 PM
Its all about bang for the buck though right?

Nope, it is all about traction.

CadzillaTN
07-29-11, 12:50 PM
This thread was 6 years old. Ironic you found a 6 year old thread on tires to reply to and you just happen to work for a tire company?

I'm not sure about the forum rules on pushing products, but I'm sure there are more current, relevant tire discussion threads that could benefit from some biased contributions.

-PJ

I think sully needs to dole out some discount codes asap.

bjv
07-29-11, 12:52 PM
OK I'll assume that resurrecting this thread can work for real discussion and not scamming, so here goes my 2 cents worth...

I bought a used 2007 with about 20k miles on it. The dealer replaced the rear tires because they were worn, but the front tires looked OK so they kept them. (I can't think of why the rear tires would be worn more than the fronts :D ). The car came with RS-A's and they put RS-A's back on it. The fronts lasted just past 30k miles. I replaced them with Continental ExtremeContact DWS. (And no I don't work for any kind of tire-related company.)
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=ExtremeContact+DWS
So far so good with the Contis, and my RS-A's on the back are at 20k miles and still have a lot of tread left. (I know what you're going to say because I've already heard it. :( ) Not long after I got the car I made the decision to go away from run-flats so I bought a spare on this forum and bought a jack on ebay. And actually when one of my original RS-A's went flat on a trip I just put my spare on and went about my business, then bought the Contis when I got back into the big city.

I've got "tire envy" now that I see that the new Camaro comes with 275 width tires on the back.

CadzillaTN
07-29-11, 01:41 PM
Wide tires are nice, but imo proportion/balance/stance are important to the overall look of a car, to the extent that too wide a tire can look goofy.

The cts can pull it off, but its a narrow/tall car. Lowering is a key addition to the equation.

rand49er
07-29-11, 02:07 PM
... I work for michelin ...Group buy !!!!

Sullyfx
07-29-11, 02:56 PM
I'm all for the group buy. " PJgross " gets nothing though.... Yes it was an old thread. What of it.... Your telling me people don't need tires anymore? Jk, but seriously no discount for you.:tisk:

rand49er
07-29-11, 10:06 PM
I'm all for the group buy. ...I'm in.

(Sorry, PJ. You gotta be nicer to the noobs. :D)

thebigjimsho
07-30-11, 03:42 PM
I'm a total Michelin suckup! What can I get?

BTW, get PSS out for the V2 sizes, pronto!

thebigjimsho
07-30-11, 03:43 PM

-PJNormally I agree. But for some Michelins? Shaddup!

Sullyfx
08-01-11, 05:20 PM
I'm not pushing anything. I'll end up putting BFG's on mine. Yes, its still a Michelin, but more bang for the buck. If you all are serious about a group bye I'll do what I can. I work in the Department of Defense group, so my connections with the Passenger side are limited to mostly employee situations. But if I have some numbers I can get to the sales force and see what can be done.

Also, I do have access to the discontinued tire program. V sizes are not on there often, but when they are!!!!!!
Example: 240/40R18 Pilot SS $100 each... Those are gone, but they do come around here and there...
I can post them when I see them, but it will have to be quick!

rand49er
08-01-11, 09:54 PM
... I work in the Department of Defense group, so my connections with the Passenger side are limited ...Okay, Hum V guys ... GROUP BUY!

kevm14
08-03-11, 08:43 AM
As a newbie to this forum I need to start posting. This conversation is right up my alley since I work for Michelin.... Yes a little biast, but I also see the raw data from testing. The new Pilot Sport is amazing! It was the first upgrade I did to mine. Its all about bang for the buck though right?

Tried the Conti DW, then switched to the new PSS. Best tire ever.

I also wanted to add that while the PS2 is still $326/ea, the new PSS is only $247/ea at Tirerack. And it's the PS2's successor. The price (and my dissatisfaction with the DWs) is what caused me to try my first Michelin tire ever. They are great. See my comments in another thread.

ronr
08-03-11, 03:35 PM
I'd be in for a group buy.

thebigjimsho
08-03-11, 07:27 PM
Tried the Conti DW, then switched to the new PSS. Best tire ever.

I also wanted to add that while the PS2 is still $326/ea, the new PSS is only $247/ea at Tirerack. And it's the PS2's successor. The price (and my dissatisfaction with the DWs) is what caused me to try my first Michelin tire ever. They are great. See my comments in another thread.Yeah, looks that way all across the product line. They are going to sell a BOATLOAD of these. If I went with a 20" TSW wheel to DD, I could've gotten the PSS. But since I stayed with my stock 19s, I have to wait. aww...

kevm14
08-03-11, 07:42 PM
I hope they aren't sacrificing QA to get the price down. Mine are great and needed less weights to balance than the DWs.

thebigjimsho
08-03-11, 07:48 PM
I hope they aren't sacrificing QA to get the price down. Mine are great and needed less weights to balance than the DWs.I really think Michelin used a lot of the tech it developed in F1 to make the PS2 as good as it was. Since less development goes into the evolutionary progression than with a blank sheet, the costs are lower. Or, so I assume...

Sullyfx
08-03-11, 10:00 PM
Without boasting too much about the company I work for..... Michelin truly does invest in the research and development of there products.

That being said: An update on the group buy....

As of right now I know I could get a good bit of rebates at the very least. If you live in the upstate of South Carolina I could do a lot more!
( Let me know if you are )

I'll keep digging on it and see what I can come up with. Looks like I will have to go through dealers rather than Michelin directly. policies and such...