: Mallett Cars claims to solve wheel hop CTS-V

korey
03-16-09, 10:25 AM
Here is their website mallettcars
they claim to eliminate the wheel hop issue but do not sell the kit separately. They only install it when you buy one of their conversions which look pretty cool. Does anyone here own a Mallett CTSV and if they could take pictures of the suspension set up then someone can copy it and solve all these headaches. They say the stock diff handles the power just fine also which there putting 500hp and more to the wheels, thanks

Slithering_Joe
03-16-09, 11:27 AM
There's a Mallett at Martin Cadillac in Englewood Cliffs, NJ.

ctsv154
03-16-09, 11:36 AM
then go take some pics!

The Tony Show
03-16-09, 12:19 PM
Mallett's solution is a combination of their bushings, trailing arms and Penske shocks. It's been discussed at length.

Even with this combo, you're still going to get wheelhop if you try to launch the car really hard in a straight line. Because it was set up for road course handling, the CTS-V will never match an F-Body for drag launches. That is, unless you stiffen the rear suspension to a point where you ruin the handling of the car.

It's a catch 22. Solid axle cars like the Mustang and Camaro launch hard but push in the corners, where IRS cars like the CTS-V and Viper handle the corners but hop on launches.

ctsv154
03-16-09, 12:55 PM
I'd rather hop on the launch and hold in the corners personally. Almost any IRS car will hop at some point in its life.

ctsv154
03-16-09, 01:10 PM
I dont think good brake fluid is a bandaid. I think you should take other steps in preventing your brakes from over heating but its hardly a bandaid. I also have Ti shims betweent the pads and calipers. Dont really know how much they help but they are in there anyway. I will eventually run brake ducts as well.

korey
03-16-09, 01:16 PM
Ok guys, thanks for the reply.

AlmostAV
03-16-09, 05:45 PM
I dont think good brake fluid is a bandaid. I think you should take other steps in preventing your brakes from over heating but its hardly a bandaid. I also have Ti shims betweent the pads and calipers. Dont really know how much they help but they are in there anyway. I will eventually run brake ducts as well.

hunh?

lol.

I think you meant to post this in a different thread.

KaMaSuTrA
03-16-09, 05:56 PM
hunh?

lol.

The wheel hop hasn't been solved so he started talking about something else haha!

korey
03-16-09, 07:43 PM
ya, the seat heaters work good when you turn them on..............

ctsv154
03-16-09, 08:42 PM
hunh?

lol.

haha yeah thats what I get for trying to look at 2 threads at the same time.

liqidvenom
03-16-09, 09:08 PM
There's a Mallett at Martin Cadillac in Englewood Cliffs, NJ.

They have like 4 mallets there. That car didnt wheel hop if i remember when we took it out for a ride.

rand49er
03-16-09, 09:20 PM
haha yeah thats what I get for trying to look at 2 threads at the same time.:rofl:

thebigjimsho
03-16-09, 11:55 PM
poasting while kegging?

thebigjimsho
03-16-09, 11:58 PM
Here is their website mallettcars
they claim to eliminate the wheel hop issue but do not sell the kit separately. They only install it when you buy one of their conversions which look pretty cool. Does anyone here own a Mallett CTSV and if they could take pictures of the suspension set up then someone can copy it and solve all these headaches. They say the stock diff handles the power just fine also which there putting 500hp and more to the wheels, thanks
and who is this mallett that you speak of?

lashss
03-17-09, 01:24 AM
Mine has the full Mallett suspension and there's no wheelhop. Another cure is to not spin the rear wheels...which may or may not be so easy.

LS
Mallett 04-V-005

thebigjimsho
03-17-09, 01:37 AM
interesting...

lollygagger8
03-17-09, 11:29 AM
Mine has the full Mallett suspension and there's no wheelhop. Another cure is to not spin the rear wheels...which may or may not be so easy.

LS
Mallett 04-V-005

PICTURES.......we need some

thebigjimsho
03-17-09, 11:51 AM
yes, we haz none.

MauiV
03-17-09, 03:06 PM
mores picturez pleaz

thebigjimsho
03-17-09, 03:17 PM
:postpics:

Scatillac
03-17-09, 03:53 PM
I remember see a photo of their Solsitce rear end and the front pinion bearing retainer was billet and had an ear on each side of the retainer, slightly above (~1") the pinion centerline, and the ears were bolted to a supporting square crossmember. It appeared to have a bushing, although that wasn't quite clear.

Given the location of the supports (close to the pinion yoke), this would serve to greatly decrease pinion deflection, especially if the bushing material were higher durometer Poly or a similar material.

lollygagger8
03-17-09, 03:56 PM
I remember see a photo of their Solsitce rear end and the front pinion bearing retainer was billet and had an ear on each side of the retainer, slightly above (~1") the pinion centerline, and the ears were bolted to a supporting square crossmember. It appeared to have a bushing, although that wasn't quite clear.

Given the location of the supports (close to the pinion yoke), this would serve to greatly decrease pinion deflection, especially if the bushing material were higher durometer Poly or a similar material.

Plz find this pic.......this is relative to ALL of our interests :food-snacking:

trukk
03-17-09, 08:47 PM
Guys,

I saw one at Lindsay Cadillac up on a rack with the rear wheels off a few years ago. In a nutshell, it is a Z bar style trailing arm (to fit bigger rear wheels), an aluminum front diff mount bushing (they cryo treat the diff casing so it doesn't immediately snap from the stiff bushing), and then the penske coil overs with remote resevoir. The Penske's themelves run about $6k, I think the entire package was $8k to $10k.

This news is ancient.

-Chris

ctsv154
03-17-09, 08:59 PM
So thats it? Thats their secret? Nothing! haha

ATLDon
03-18-09, 12:15 AM
locness monster:beer:

atdeneve
03-18-09, 12:21 PM

Plz find this pic.......this is relative to ALL of our interests :food-snacking:
It's been posted here before, but I'm too lazy to go trudging through old posts to find the original thread. So here...

http://img1.image.hotrod.com/f/8923223/hdrp_0605_solstice_differential_17_z.jpg

This is not what they did on the Mallet V though.

I would think our Vs would greatly benefit from the additional stabilization and it really is a pretty simple solution. Nothing more than some good quality brackets and aluminum bracing ... shouldn't be too hard to fab up. Not quite sure why it has not yet been implemented on our platform.

ctsv154
03-18-09, 01:44 PM
I looked at doing that also and the gas tank is in the way on the left side. I'm sure you could still make something work but not as easy as the solstice.

lollygagger8
03-18-09, 01:54 PM
Maybe if the mounting point went straight up from the pinion instead of off to the side? Since there is room on above the diff right where the pinion is? - (since gas tank is in the way on left side)

STAGEUP
03-18-09, 03:29 PM
Has anyone tried CRYO treating their diff?

atdeneve
03-18-09, 04:01 PM
That does nothing for wheelhop...

ctsv154
03-18-09, 04:06 PM
Maybe if the mounting point went straight up from the pinion instead of off to the side? Since there is room on above the diff right where the pinion is? - (since gas tank is in the way on left side)

I'm sure its possible. Just make the mount hole the same size a stock and a UUC bushing would be perfect. I my try something. I have the original Kars III on the car right now but may add something else as well.

ctsv154
03-18-09, 04:09 PM

Actually keeping the diff from winding up like a rubber band will help the wheel hop. There are other major factors that need addressing as well but if the diff is bouncing around because of insufficient support, that will cause the tires to load and unload as the diff oscillates in the cradle. I think the cradle is the biggest issue though.

ctsv154
03-18-09, 04:11 PM
There are a lot of flaws in the cradle design and diff mounting that cause a lot a flex here, a lot of give there. Making everything stiff is the only way you will ever start to get rid of the hop. Proper support for the diff is a must to keep torsional stress to a minimum. All the brakes I have seen have been torsion related. You can tell from which direction it runs. Proper support for the cradle is also a must to keep the hop do a minimum. With less hop and better torsional support for the diff I dont think these things would come apart so easy.

thebigjimsho
03-18-09, 11:11 PM
My brain is aching again. It's been 5+ years. Just give up...

liqidvenom
03-19-09, 01:08 AM
giving up doesnt do anything productive

814V
03-19-09, 01:20 AM
if you build it they will come

thebigjimsho
03-19-09, 02:42 PM
giving up doesnt do anything productive
have at it, McGuyver...

814V
03-19-09, 02:54 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_YGLQQZTHoU0/R_EHfSHQNNI/AAAAAAAABzs/iIWUBqyVLAk/s400/macgyver2rs.png

mpunklil
03-19-09, 04:58 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_YGLQQZTHoU0/R_EHfSHQNNI/AAAAAAAABzs/iIWUBqyVLAk/s400/macgyver2rs.png

HAHAHAHAHAA!!!

Im not saying I have a cure, but when my new diff comes (friday) im poppin her in w/n the week or two, and driving it straight to a fab shop. Im in socal, so there are a lot of off road fab shops. If they cant build something to HELP, then nobody can. Shouldnt be too pricey either, im guessing around $1-2k. Picked up the UUC diff bushing, need to pick up bmr cradle bushings as well...waiting until payday to order. Considering the vast amount of pics of the kars kit i have gathered, im positive one could recreate it easily and hopefully improve. im not just talking out of my a$$ either, i dont want to buy another diff!!! and i have the money to back up any fab work. so be patient for pix when its done. i know what its like chasing threads on this site looking for a diff answer only to read more of the same, its quite disappointing!

atdeneve
03-21-09, 07:20 PM
Actually keeping the diff from winding up like a rubber band will help the wheel hop. There are other major factors that need addressing as well but if the diff is bouncing around because of insufficient support, that will cause the tires to load and unload as the diff oscillates in the cradle. I think the cradle is the biggest issue though.

There are a lot of flaws in the cradle design and diff mounting that cause a lot a flex here, a lot of give there. Making everything stiff is the only way you will ever start to get rid of the hop. Proper support for the diff is a must to keep torsional stress to a minimum. All the brakes I have seen have been torsion related. You can tell from which direction it runs. Proper support for the cradle is also a must to keep the hop do a minimum. With less hop and better torsional support for the diff I dont think these things would come apart so easy.

Notice that a couple posts above, I linked the photo showing the extra bracing on the LS7 Solstice. And how I'm for the added stability. I already think it would be beneficial. You don't have to convince me.

That's not what I was referring to...

Has anyone tried CRYO treating their diff?

ctsv154
03-21-09, 10:16 PM
Notice that a couple posts above, I linked the photo showing the extra bracing on the LS7 Solstice. And how I'm for the added stability. I already think it would be beneficial. You don't have to convince me.

That's not what I was referring to...

Sorry, simple misunderstanding. :thepan:

thebigjimsho
03-21-09, 11:17 PM
read, dammit!