: I did the X pipe to go along with no mufflers

Vecstasy
03-15-09, 11:39 PM
Well I took the plunge and threw on an X pipe with no mufflers. I must say that it sounds pretty good but it is loud. On the shifts because there is no back pressure it pops pretty badly and loudly. So overall I am not too impressed and will be doing something else. So that brings me to the question of has anyone just welded in some mufflers to the stock cat back? I know there are people who have welded in some flowmaster Super 44's but I am not too excited about Flowmasters. I am thinking about doing something a little different as far as mufflers. Does anyone know if we need offset inlet/outlet tubes or can it be straight and straight. Any info, tips or experiences would be appreciated. thanks.

heavymetals
03-15-09, 11:44 PM
Get a tuner to turn off the "burble and pop" and then try it.

I have mine set up that way and its a kick. :cloud9:

Vecstasy
03-15-09, 11:53 PM
Hmm. Well I guess I could try that. I have a tune on the car already. I guess I can contact my tuner and see if he can do anything like that

ccextra1976
03-16-09, 12:04 AM
Hmm. Well I guess I could try that. I have a tune on the car already. I guess I can contact my tuner and see if he can do anything like that

tunning reduced about 85% of mine!!

Naf
03-16-09, 03:17 AM
I see everyone goin with x-pipes and deleting the mufflers, is there any interior drone al high loads and low rpms? I am lookin to quiet the drone between 1500 and 1900rpm. I have my new mufflers and dubbed resonator on the way, but i have to say its annoyin...WOT is nice, but not very professional on the inside...

With the drivers window open its not so bad...Close it and i die if i am cruisin around town. And summer is comin for me so pretty soon it will be closed window for 5 months....

Kmajecki
03-16-09, 09:57 AM
Does anyone know if we need offset inlet/outlet tubes or can it be straight and straight.

What are the stockers? Just get something close and the muffler shop should be able to make it work.

Cherry Bombs FTW!!!
http://shop1.actinicexpress.co.uk/shops/Rat_Sport/index.php?cat=Cherry_Bomb#

1FASTSS
03-16-09, 12:16 PM
I used SLP louthmouth mufflers which weld right in on the angle to where the stock muffler goes.

It not that loud since I still have the stock res but I am thinking about going with a x-pipe soon.

donolar
03-16-09, 03:51 PM
i just chopped mufflers, added tips, and left resonator, sounds great, i wish it was a little louder, but poping is minimal, wot sounds awsome, all my friend compliment it, so overall im happy, may chop off resonator next, but if it pops or is to loud, super 44s will be immenant,

lollygagger8
03-16-09, 04:03 PM
Flowmasters sound great!! Why wouldn't you want those? Too loud?

donolar
03-16-09, 04:30 PM
no, im saying if it is to loud with no mufflers, and no resonator, or pops real bad, im adding the supper 44s, to reduce the noise back down, and get rid of poping,

lollygagger8
03-16-09, 04:37 PM
all the tuner will do is add more fuel on decel to help with the "popping"

ichpen
03-16-09, 05:23 PM
Well I took the plunge and threw on an X pipe with no mufflers. I must say that it sounds pretty good but it is loud. On the shifts because there is no back pressure it pops pretty badly and loudly. So overall I am not too impressed and will be doing something else. So that brings me to the question of has anyone just welded in some mufflers to the stock cat back? I know there are people who have welded in some flowmaster Super 44's but I am not too excited about Flowmasters. I am thinking about doing something a little different as far as mufflers. Does anyone know if we need offset inlet/outlet tubes or can it be straight and straight. Any info, tips or experiences would be appreciated. thanks.

It pops because you ditched the resonator mostly which hides the sound well. It's perfectly normal, all cars pop, they just hide it with big resonators.

Adding fuel (or removing it) during decel has some drawbacks including running a little rich which obviously impacts your consumption a little.

ccextra1976
03-16-09, 05:40 PM
It pops because you ditched the resonator mostly which hides the sound well. It's perfectly normal, all cars pop, they just hide it with big resonators.

Adding fuel (or removing it) during decel has some drawbacks including running a little rich which obviously impacts your consumption a little.

from what I understood one of the parameters to adjust is DFCO (removing fuel on decel)...why would that have a side effect??

ichpen
03-16-09, 05:53 PM
from what I understood one of the parameters to adjust is DFCO (removing fuel on decel)...why would that have a side effect??

Cutting off fuel prematurely on decel may impact response time a little i.e. if you jump back on the gas pedal. Kind of makes sense on the surface and it's something I've been playing around with for at least 10 mins yesterday.

P.S. Just playing around with my first copy of EFI so I have my 'fake' tuner voice and stature on today.

heavymetals
03-16-09, 05:59 PM
On my BMW K100 (motorcycle) they cut the ignition and fuel off if you let off the gas till it hit idle.

Was very smooth on the decel and no pop.

Stealth tuned my car and the option was to turn off the burble and pop on decel.

Vettes should pop on the decel but not Cads (no flame). :shhh:

deedubb
03-16-09, 06:00 PM
Will the MSD ignition coils help with popping?

ccextra1976
03-16-09, 07:00 PM
Cutting off fuel prematurely on decel may impact response time a little i.e. if you jump back on the gas pedal. Kind of makes sense on the surface and it's something I've been playing around with for at least 10 mins yesterday.

P.S. Just playing around with my first copy of EFI so I have my 'fake' tuner voice and stature on today.

obviously it was worse when Installed the X-pipe...even after adjustments mine still does it a little...not as loud and only pops (noticable) between 1-2, but I'm still looking into flowmasters since corsa is famous for the pop...poop if you ask me