: The Good and the Bad news...

RByers91
03-15-09, 11:23 PM
Well after purchasing my Escalade i noticed a slight whining noise from the front of the car. Took it to a tire / suspension shop thinking my wheel was bent, and rubbing against something (also went to fix the alignment). They said i needed new inner and outer tie rods (both left and ride sides), new idler arm, and pitman arm. So i spent the money, and got the items installed. While it was getting installed i noticed that many people have had problems with their differentials, so i had my mechanic check it out. Turns out there were metal shavings in the fluid, guess i need to rebuild it. Well even though my differential is bad, my car FINALLY drives like an Escalade should. My question is should i rebuild the differential asap? Or can i leave it there, and not hurt my car? Keep in mind, i'm only a kid in High School, so this will be quite a hit on my account.

(Btw the good news was my car now drives great!)

Thanks for any feedback

-Ryan

luxurylife33
03-15-09, 11:27 PM
I would say it depends on HOW BAD the shavings were. Small shavings are completely normal, since the magnetic drain plug attracts most of the shavings. You mechanic may just be "saying" u need it done, when in fact its fine. You didn't mention if the "whine" sound is still present.... I would say if the sound went away after new tie rods and pitman arm, it should be fine!

RByers91
03-16-09, 12:34 AM
Sadly the sound is still there, but not as bad as it was before. The mechanic is a good family friend, so i trust everything he says. What can happen to my car if i don't change it?

pcguy760
03-16-09, 03:39 AM
Sadly the sound is still there, but not as bad as it was before. The mechanic is a good family friend, so i trust everything he says. What can happen to my car if i don't change it?

The radio will stop working...

:hide:

zerocarpileup
03-16-09, 04:06 AM
Well yea like Luxury... said see how bad the shavings are if you are able to remove the cover completely, you will be able to visually inspect the gears and see if theyr missing teeth or if there significantly grinded down, but if you dont see anything that really that scares you than id just do a differential flush and change the fluids and do them both since its an all the time 4 wheel drive. it shouldn't cost you any more than 175-200 and well worth it since its part of the 75,000 mile maintenance. I think... but im sure your 02 is needing it right about now. you might as well check the transfer case too, the problem has just as a chance to lie there as well.
P.S Dont forget to buy a new gasket. Some of these guys just pop the old one back on, bad idea.