: GMPP now and GM going poof! tomorrow

ctsv-mjf
03-15-09, 10:23 PM
05 with 45K about to go out of warranty this month. Should I pull trigger on a GMPP major guard with GM on the edge of going out of business. This is my daily driver and I'd like to have it under warranty at least until the car is paid off.

Don't want to stroke a $2K check and be left holding the bag in 6 months.

Whadda think?

Oleksakjr
03-15-09, 10:30 PM
Im in the same boat as you and curious to see what everyone thinks...

You get a good deal on the GMPP if so where?

I dont think GM will go out, thats just my opinion...

TaVern
03-15-09, 10:35 PM
Paging Cadillac Tony...

Cadillac Tony
03-15-09, 10:42 PM
That's actually an interesting question, and depends on so many external factors that I doubt anyone can answer it.

I doubt GM will "go out of business". They're either going to get more loans from the Government or file a prepackaged bankruptcy so they can reorganize, during which the Government will provide them with DIP funding. If they get the loans they'll continue restructuring slowly, or if they go with the Ch.11, they'll come out the other side smaller and more profitable. Either one of these situations would not affect a GMPP warranty.

The only possible way the warranty would become useless if if GM actually ceased to exist, which even the most pessimistic people agree couldn't happen for several more years. Don't forget that GM just told the Government they did not need the $2billion dollars that they'd been promised this month, because GM's cost cutting was actually going better than planned. GM's not going anywhere.

The Boss V
03-16-09, 04:22 AM
see my thread gm in troubled times I bought mine and couldn't be happier. What you should do is go to your dealer and finance it for 0% like I did 18 month plan. Also gm-protectionplan-online.com 1-888-881-4990 then make the dealer match that price....

NormV
03-16-09, 06:38 AM
GM must be important if instead of a Car Czar they get 10 person board with overseerer and staff. GM must be important! :)

Obama has an open checking account...you mean you have not got any?

Norm

rand49er
03-16-09, 07:34 AM
... Obama has an open checking account...you mean you have not got any? ...Yeah, his checkbook converts yuan to dollars.

I recently went off warranty (January). I did think about whether or not to get an extended one, but ultimately decided not to. The main reason? It's not my DD. The fact that your car is your DD may be sufficient reason to do it, IMHO.

NormV
03-16-09, 09:37 AM
Yup, backed by trillions! :)

Norm

Yeah, his checkbook converts yuan to dollars.

I recently went off warranty (January). I did think about whether or not to get an extended one, but ultimately decided not to. The main reason? It's not my DD. The fact that your car is your DD may be sufficient reason to do it, IMHO.

Twitch
03-16-09, 10:03 AM
Mine is up April 6. She's been pretty good. Short service history, and I don't even have any reason to go for a "final warranty visit".
It's my only car, but I don't drive to work. Only thing I'm worried about is the diff. But I figure, for the price of the GMPP, I can get a new one from Luke and install myself. If I can't find a used one.
Tough decision, but I think I got one of the good ones :)

Tony

KaMaSuTrA
03-16-09, 11:49 AM
I got mine back in November of last year. So far its paid for itself if you count the labor the dealer would charge for work being done to the car. I've had the starter, radio/nav, motor mounts, and yaw sensor replaced under the plan. The car is actually in the dealer today for a an exhaust manifold gasket and a slight power steering loss. Its one less pain to deal especially since this is my daily.

smashn808
03-16-09, 05:17 PM
see my thread gm in troubled times I bought mine and couldn't be happier. What you should do is go to your dealer and finance it for 0% like I did 18 month plan. Also gm-protectionplan-online.com 1-888-881-4990 then make the dealer match that price....

Hmm, i didn't even think about financing GMPP when my warranty is up in June. That will definetly make it a little easier on the ole budget. Thanks man.

FYI-
http://www.gmextendedwarrantystore.com/quote/get_quote.php

The Boss V
03-16-09, 06:11 PM
I pay them around 120 per month and if the go kapoof (which I doubt GM would) I stop paying for the service. Gm needs your money help out your old buddy so they keep producing cars we love like the CTS-V.