: Navigation nightmare (help)

oldworld
03-15-09, 09:30 PM
Problem:
I went by the instructions listed here in the forum to cut the vehicle speed wire so you can enter address on the go. Easy enough. However, when I cut the wire, although I could now enter the addresses while moving, the vehicle nav says I am 120 miles away from home, in Washington DC. Also, the vehicle icon on the screen did not move at all, like I was not moving at all.

Frustrated, I re-connected the wires. Now the vehicle icon is indeed moving.
However, it still says I am in Washington DC. As I am driving here in PA, the vehicle icon is moving across Washington DC, even on roads that do not exist.
Looks like the map is wrong.
Never ever had an issue with this nav unit, and I am mad at myself for attempting to modify it.
Does anyone here have any idea what went wrong, and more important, how to fix it????
HELP

mbovinet
03-15-09, 09:43 PM
Keep driving. It'll take 5-10 minutes before it updates itself and is back on track. I'm in Omaha Nebraska and mine said I was in Detroit!! You can add a on/off switch as I did and it works perfectly fine now

oldworld
03-15-09, 10:22 PM
Why did you add an on/off switch of you don't mind me asking??
Was it necessary?

I gotta tell you I am pretty upset that the nav does not work now.
I did drive the truck for a few min, and its still the same. Perhaps I will drive it for a half an hour or so on Monday. I really hope it works.
I am sorry to hear that you had a problem, but glad it fixed itself. Assuming that you went through the same thing, perhaps I am slightly comforted that it worked itself out.
We shall see. THANKS for your input. I will let you know how it works out.

mbovinet
03-15-09, 10:26 PM
I had the same exact issues you had. Once I clipped the wire my nav stopped. I reconnected that wire but added a switch in order to turn it off for a bit so I could input an address while driving. Once I had the address inputed then I'd turn the switch back on which would inturn basically reconnect that wire and the nav would pick back up and start working properly again.

oldworld
03-15-09, 10:31 PM
where did you put the switch? Does it look like it belongs in the escalade?

Hey...........thanks. I am hopeful it will work by driving.

mbovinet
03-15-09, 10:40 PM
Here's the button. I didn't want to add it to the dash anywhere

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e231/mbovinet/Stuff/IMG_7195.jpg

After installing the swith the Nav thought I was in Detroit again. After a few minutes of driving is was back to where is should have been and I bet yours will do the same. Good Luck with it.

oldworld
03-15-09, 11:32 PM
Button looks perfect. Nice job.
I hope by driving it alittle more, it will reset/reprogram.
THANKS AGAIN!!!!!!

ratbike1
03-16-09, 11:27 AM
Out of cuiosity, do you have a 06 like mbovinet?

oldworld
03-16-09, 12:44 PM
I have an 03 escalade

oldworld
03-16-09, 01:01 PM
Heres some additional info about my nav unit. When I removed the unit, I removed the wiring harnesses eventually since its pretty tight and they dont give you much room to play. I noticed that someone prior to me had done some splicing....alomost like making some of the wires longer.
This was true for what I believe is the GPS antenna. That wire, which is wrapped in a foil like braid, was cut, and a small wire was added in between. That wire had com apart while I was in there. SO, I added a piece of wire about 6 inches long (spliced in), and still the unit says I am in washington DC. I live 120 miles away from DC.
Is there maybe an issue with the gps antenna?? Was it wrong to add this regulat wire inbetween?
Anyone know anything about the GPS wire, and how to fix it? Do you think maybe thats why the gps says I am in DC????

Any help is apprciated. Otherwise its off to the caddy dealer and $90/hour to diagnose.
PLEASE HELP.

mbovinet
03-16-09, 01:22 PM
How much have you driven your truck since hooking that GPS wire back up?

oldworld
03-16-09, 01:32 PM
Maybe 10 min total

oldworld
03-16-09, 01:44 PM
03 escalade

Is there a way to diagnose the nav/radio head unit while its in the vehicle?
My nav is not working and I read somewhere on here about diagnosing it.
Is that possible and if so, how?
Hate to spend the crazy$$$ to have caddy do it for me.

oldworld
03-16-09, 08:09 PM
Still not working.
I drove the truck about an hour today and it still says I am in DC.

Any help with this? Dealer only.................:tisk:

obxdiver
03-16-09, 08:16 PM
I would go back in there and double check this splicing job that was done that you write about.
The antenna cable is a "COAX" cable.
The foil braiding you see is the shield of the cable.
When coax cable was spiced, was this shield wire also spiced back together?
Make absolutely sure that the shield IS NOT touching the inner wire of the coax inside your slices.
It really sounds like the antenna is the problem.

It is very strange how some radios work with this mod, and others don't.

oldworld
03-16-09, 08:27 PM
I will check as you suggested in the morning! Thanks for the advice. When I looked at it originally, looked like just a thin wire was coming off the coax, maybe about 2 inches long. I just added about 6 inches of slightly thicker wire to it. I don't recall if the outer foil was touching, but I will check.
I was wondering if that cable should look alot like the cable into your tv? Should the inner wire be a thick as house cable, or thin like I saw??
Again, thanks for the help. I was thinking maybe something with the antenna. Caddy was all to eager to have me make an appointment to "diagnose". Not very helpful with an over the phone suggestion.
Ever hear of a diagnostic we can run ourselves on the system??
THANKS AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!

obxdiver
03-16-09, 09:11 PM
The coax has an inner core, very thin wire. This is surrounded by insulation.
This insulation is then wrapped with the tin foil braid.
Both the inner core and the foil braid must be connected to the plug that goes in the radio.
If either is not connected, the radio will not see the antenna signal.
Neither the inner wire nor the foil braid can touch each other.

oldworld
03-16-09, 10:46 PM
Thanks for the explanation. Sounds like I do have an antenna issue as I am 100% positive that the foil outer is NOT touching the foil outer on the opposite side. Just connected now are the inner wires.
Any thoughts on how to "properly " make this connection so that the inner wire is connected, the foil outer is connected..YET they are not touching eachother.
This sounds like it may be the problem....THANK YOU:worship:

obxdiver
03-17-09, 06:41 AM
Cut the spice out to make 2 clean ends.
Strip both ends so that you have 2 wires (inner core and shield)
Get some heat shrink tubing
Slide 2 pieces of heat shrink tubing over the cable (one over the inner core and one for the shield.
Twist the inner core wires together
Slide one piece of heat shrink tubing over the connection and heat to shrink
Do the same with the shield wire

Insure that the shield and inner core DO NOT touch each other.

If you know how to solder, then you can solder the wires for a better connection.

oldworld
03-17-09, 09:13 AM
Thanks for the advice!
There may be one problem though. That splice was added for a reason. I think that taking the splice out will make the whole wire itself too small to reach the back of unit and still get my hand behind it to plug it in.

Is there an actual way to add in a splice properly so that it would work?

d-dash
03-17-09, 04:28 PM
What wires are all of you clipping to do this mod? I had my nav out last night to finish up my reverse camera install and there are multiple green/white wires. The large harness I think has one and the small harness has 2 or 3. So my question is, what wire is it that all of the people that are having issues are clipping, and what wire are we supposed to cut off for this mod?

obxdiver
03-17-09, 05:29 PM
Somehow, this thread got started.

Here is the original thread about the mod.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-escalade-ext-esv-forum-1999/163481-navigation-while-driving.html

oldworld
03-18-09, 10:41 AM
Does anyone know what the correct size wire is for the nav antenna??

obxdiver
03-18-09, 10:47 AM
Please post a picture of your wires that shows the splice so that we all can see your problem.

Sorry, I do not know the type of coax used on the nav antenna

Different coax has different impeadence.
Using the wrong type may still give u problems.

I would try RG-6, or RG-59. These are both 75 ohm type coax

Here is what typical coax looks like. B & D can never touch each other

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/73/RG-59.jpg

oldworld
03-18-09, 11:09 AM
GREAT PHOTO! VERY VERY HELPFUL.
I will take out the plug end from the nav tonight and post online so you can see it. The wire on the nav I believe is ALOT thinner.

THANKS A BUNCH!!!!!!!!!!!

oldworld
03-18-09, 08:11 PM
The end coming from the antenna looks something like what you pictured. However, the other part that has the connector on it and goes into the nav unit does not.
Here is a picture...not really that good, but the best I could do.
Of course when I go to attach a picture, it says its too big. Not knowing how to shrink it down....I guess I am where I was with this.....
How much harder can this be to get my nav working??? lol:banghead:

obxdiver
03-18-09, 09:42 PM
post the picture at photobucket.com. then use the [IMG] codes to link to it.

oldworld
03-20-09, 11:16 PM
Hey OBX. I went agead and soldered the ends together, botht the iner wire and the outer shield wire, and then for added measure also used those shrink tubes as well. To be honest, I am proud of ny work, with your direction of course. I wil take some photos, and post them here. I will be putting it back together in the morning. Cross your fingers it works..............if not, look north, northwest for heavy black smoke.....
lol

oldworld
03-21-09, 04:08 PM
OBX............thank you! Your photo of the coax really helped me make the repair. I am HAPPY to announce my NAV is now working 100%.
I did cut both of the green and white wires, and neither of them allowed me to enter addresses while adriving.
One wire froze my icon on the screen, but did allow me to enter the addresses.
The other one cut of the right side audio.
Hooked them up again..............and all is fine/
Perhaps that cutting of the wire only works on touch screen navs only????
Mine is an 03 with non touch screen.

THANKS AGAIN!:thumbsup:

obxdiver
03-21-09, 08:33 PM
Congrats !!!
Great Job
You should be proud of yourself

Now, if you want, you can install a switch on your green/white wire to make it work while driving
Just like the other member did by putting the red push button down low.

oldworld
03-21-09, 11:29 PM
Now that I have cooled off since my nav is working, I will go ahead and do the exact same thing with the switch..........in the above post.
THANKS again for your help

dssrocks
03-22-09, 12:45 PM
So does anyone know the answer to why only a few people have had problems? Has anyone done this to a 2006 Escalade and had success without the switch? Are the ones that are having problems non touch or touch screen, XM,?

oldworld
03-22-09, 12:54 PM
Mine is non-touch screen with xm.

obxdiver
03-22-09, 08:01 PM
No answer why this happens.
Mine is the touch screen.
Others with touch screen had problems and need the switch
I did not need the switch.
Very strange why it does not work on some radios.

mbovinet
03-22-09, 08:29 PM
Mine is a 2006

It's a Touchscreen

Factory XM

Factory Changer

Factory DVD

Now with the switch it works fine and nothing else is effected by it

oldworld
03-22-09, 09:31 PM
VERY strange. I believe many of the GM part numbers are the same, however, some work and some need the switch.