: Catch Can setup....

Razorecko
03-15-09, 08:14 PM
Anyone care to take some pics of where the PCV lines are located in the new V ? I plan on putting on a catch can as soon as i get my ride. I know the lsx motors and even the hemi's have horrible oil blow-by and I know the catch can has made a huge difference in my jeep performance wise with its racked up mileage.

RogersV
03-15-09, 08:46 PM
Good thought, :thumbsup: I was about to install one on my SRT8 when I decided to sell it and get the V.

Razorecko
03-15-09, 08:51 PM
Good thought, :thumbsup: I was about to install one on my SRT8 when I decided to sell it and get the V.

How ironic that I will be pulling off my BT catch can from my soon to be sold jeep srt8 onto the new V :)

wait4me
03-16-09, 09:56 AM
The car has a catch can on it already. It is the big loop on the front of your stock air box rubber elbow. The pvc system goes into a little port right there in that flex part. so oil vapor is ingested back into the motor! The solid more have stuff will just fall and collect into the elbow.. Doesnt seem like a good solution, but i guess it is better than just forcing allllll of it including the solid oil back into the intake like the older ls1 series engines...

Razorecko
03-16-09, 11:13 AM
The car has a catch can on it already. It is the big loop on the front of your stock air box rubber elbow. The pvc system goes into a little port right there in that flex part. so oil vapor is ingested back into the motor! The solid more have stuff will just fall and collect into the elbow.. Doesnt seem like a good solution, but i guess it is better than just forcing allllll of it including the solid oil back into the intake like the older ls1 series engines...

Sounds like they know the lsx have a blowby oil issue but this way the owner wont have to unscrew and dump their own oil. I'd rather just put my own in and dump the oil myself every few thousand miles. I get a good 4-6oz of oil out of my catch can every 3k miles in my jeep srt8 w/ 30k miles. There is no way I could just "dump" all that oil in the mani and NOT have power loss.

Submariner409
03-16-09, 11:25 AM
"4 - 6 oz. of engine oil in 3000 miles." Isn't that quite a bit less than either dumping 4 - 6 oz. of Marvel Mystery Oil or Seafoam or other snake oil into a gas tank every 400 miles? Or maybe a lot less than a normal engine oil consumption of 1 quart/3,000 miles which = 10.33 ounces every 1,000 miles.

Apples and oranges. Nice for a NASCAR, bling for a daily driver.

Take a look at any of the YouTube videos of what a crankshaft and con rods do to oil at 2,000 rpm and then come up with a way to prevent oil splash/foam/vapor creation. You'll be a multimillionaire........

musclesbmf
03-16-09, 12:40 PM
Take a look at any of the YouTube videos of what a crankshaft and con rods do to oil at 2,000 rpm and then come up with a way to prevent oil splash/foam/vapor creation. You'll be a multimillionaire........

Isn't that why they have dry sump systems like the Z06 and ZR1?

musclesbmf
03-16-09, 12:44 PM
"4 - 6 oz. of engine oil in 3000 miles." Isn't that quite a bit less than either dumping 4 - 6 oz. of Marvel Mystery Oil or Seafoam or other snake oil into a gas tank every 400 miles? Or maybe a lot less than a normal engine oil consumption of 1 quart/3,000 miles which = 10.33 ounces every 1,000 miles.

the issue isn't the amount, although 0oz would be the best. The issue is allowing the "can" to keep the oil from re-entering the throttle body and intake and getting sludge and grime built up in there.
Wait until your local Caddy tech tries to sell you the TB cleaning service... ummm no thanks.

Submariner409
03-16-09, 01:04 PM
I do my own TB work each spring, as well as a PCV system check and oil/filter change spring/fall. Dry sump or wet - the sheer amount of oil splash and throw in the crankcase is truly impressive, especially if you run high pressure/volume oil pump setups. We worked for years developing dry sump workarounds, crankshaft scrapers, and vapor extractors to decrease horsepower loss due to parasitic drag. Regardless, 4 - 6 ounces of condensed lube oil vapor in 30,000 miles is infinitesimal in the order of things, and is not cause for concern.

musclesbmf
03-16-09, 01:59 PM
Your knowledge is far superior to mine, that is for sure.
Thanks for the added info.

Mark

Razorecko
03-16-09, 04:19 PM
I do my own TB work each spring, as well as a PCV system check and oil/filter change spring/fall. Dry sump or wet - the sheer amount of oil splash and throw in the crankcase is truly impressive, especially if you run high pressure/volume oil pump setups. We worked for years developing dry sump workarounds, crankshaft scrapers, and vapor extractors to decrease horsepower loss due to parasitic drag. Regardless, 4 - 6 ounces of condensed lube oil vapor in 30,000 miles is infinitesimal in the order of things, and is not cause for concern.

lol, i'm getting 4-6oz EVERY 3000 MILES !!!....My Jeep has 32k miles on it and I have a large gatorade bottle fillled almost to the top with oil from when i started using the catch can when it had 16 miles.

Fubar75207
03-16-09, 07:51 PM
Another thing to consider on the 2009 is the intercooler. I suspect the PVC blows that oil directly on top of the intercooler. Once the intercooler becomes coated with oil you can imagine how poorly it transfers heat.

Methanol would clean it right up. :thumbsup:

bpospo
03-16-09, 08:25 PM
i am definetly not a knowledgsble as you guys on this stuff but i thought gm used the dry sump due to space constraints because of the supercharger. I maybe wrong but I thnk the z06 does not use the same; anybody else hear this ??

Fubar75207
03-16-09, 08:34 PM
The ZR1 has a dry sump... the CTS-V does NOT. When have lots of room under the hood for goodies like an oil pan. :)

musclesbmf
03-16-09, 09:36 PM
i am definetly not a knowledgsble as you guys on this stuff but i thought gm used the dry sump due to space constraints because of the supercharger. I maybe wrong but I thnk the z06 does not use the same; anybody else hear this ??

Yes, Z06 has dry sump. I had one. The difference is the ZR1 has more oil capacity. Dry sump is better for perormance is my understanding because the crankshaft isn't sloshing in the oil.

Richie18
03-16-09, 10:12 PM
Yes, Z06 has dry sump. I had one. The difference is the ZR1 has more oil capacity. Dry sump is better for perormance is my understanding because the crankshaft isn't sloshing in the oil.

A dry sump is primarily used because it ensures that oil is properly pumped through the engine at high G loads, (sharp turn for instance) it also allows the engine to be mounted lower (lower CG), and also allows greater capacity. :thumbsup: