: Newb here with a few questions...

FastFL
03-15-09, 05:49 PM
Hello All,

I just picked up my 09 CTS-V a few weeks ago and have a couple of questions.

Mine did not have "slotted" rotors as per the booklets & brochures described. I have asked the dealer about this and he is checking into it. I did not notice it until I had it at home for a week or so or else I would have brought it up then. Have any of you experienced this?

Gas mileage: Ech! Don't get me wrong, I know that you can't expect good mileage with this type of vehicle and I bought it for the fun factor, not the economy. Having said that - mine is an automatic and so far it averages out to around 14mpg...it is still under 1000 miles so I hope that this may improve some but sheesh, that is ugly!

Please leave feedback about the rotors if you can.

BTW, I have owned a 2002 Z06 and currently still have my 2006 TrailBlazer SS; nothing touches the feel of the V. It is an amazing car that I look forward to enjoying for years!

Thanks!

--Michael

Richie18
03-15-09, 05:54 PM
Hello All,

I just picked up my 09 CTS-V a few weeks ago and have a couple of questions.

Mine did not have "slotted" rotors as per the booklets & brochures described. I have asked the dealer about this and he is checking into it. I did not notice it until I had it at home for a week or so or else I would have brought it up then. Have any of you experienced this?

Gas mileage: Ech! Don't get me wrong, I know that you can't expect good mileage with this type of vehicle and I bought it for the fun factor, not the economy. Having said that - mine is an automatic and so far it averages out to around 14mpg...it is still under 1000 miles so I hope that this may improve some but sheesh, that is ugly!

Please leave feedback about the rotors if you can.

BTW, I have owned a 2002 Z06 and currently still have my 2006 TrailBlazer SS; nothing touches the feel of the V. It is an amazing car that I look forward to enjoying for years!

Thanks!

--Michael

They were going to originally go with slotted rotors i believe, but that that was axed for the ones on the car now. As of now there are no optional brakes so what you have is what everyone has. There will be optional front brakes in the future, but they are not slotted either.

14 MPG in this car has shown to be pretty good actually, you must be feathering the throttle. While you can certainly expect brake in to raise your MPG, if you get on it at all it will go down.

TaVern
03-15-09, 08:00 PM
Welcome Michael!

My '06 V averages around 16 mpg. My commute is mostly highway, and it's a manual transmission. Manual transmission cars always get better mileage than automatics. 14 mpg is actually pretty good considering yours is an auto and you get 130 more horsepower than I do :)

62Jeff
03-15-09, 09:33 PM
Welcome.

Today I took a 400 mile round trip in my 09 CTS-V, automatic, which had 450 miles before I took off.

200 miles of non-stop, conservative freeway driving in the 75-80 MPH range. each way. (Computer says 72 MPH average)

I averaged 19.0 MPG on the way up, and 19.9 on the way back. Coming home the computer read 20.0 Average MPG for easily 70 miles solid. I think 20 must be about as good as it's going to get.

JFJr
03-15-09, 09:55 PM
Welcome to the world of serious high performance cars! This has been discussed before on this forum. Slotted rotors are like thin cheese slicers and cause the brake pads to wear prematurely. You are getting the benefit of superior engineering.

Luna.
03-16-09, 12:42 AM
Welcome.

Today I took a 400 mile round trip in my 09 CTS-V, automatic, which had 450 miles before I took off.

200 miles of non-stop, conservative freeway driving in the 75-80 MPH range. each way. (Computer says 72 MPH average)

I averaged 19.0 MPG on the way up, and 19.9 on the way back. Coming home the computer read 20.0 Average MPG for easily 70 miles solid. I think 20 must be about as good as it's going to get.

That is phenomenal if you actually got that from your tank of gas. I can get it that high, even higher on the instant MPG meter, but as soon as you hit any sort of a grade, or touch the gas or do anything else, the MPG plummets...

I can get, at best, ~14 mpg and I've tried everything. I think a long, flat highway to drive on would be best to get the best MPG.

62Jeff
03-16-09, 01:39 AM
That is phenomenal if you actually got that from your tank of gas. I can get it that high, even higher on the instant MPG meter, but as soon as you hit any sort of a grade, or touch the gas or do anything else, the MPG plummets...

I can get, at best, ~14 mpg and I've tried everything. I think a long, flat highway to drive on would be best to get the best MPG.

Agreed, the MPG takes a dump with any form of aggressive driving or steep grades.

I do feel though these measures were pretty accurate.

Example: As noted the computer said 19.0 MPG as I pulled in the friend's driveway. I then drove around their town a little showing off the car, putting more miles on it at low speeds and in low gears, which puts the fuel economy in the "atrocious" zone. Then before I left their town I filled it up, letting the pump shut off the fuel flow as I always do to provide a more consistent measuring point.

Looking at my log book, the number of miles actually driven on that first tank (which included the trip to their house at 19.0 MPG(?), and then around their town), and the fuel actually consumed, the math says I really got 18.5 MPG on that first tank. I figure the 19.0 to my friend's house therefor was pretty accurate because the in-town driving I did would have brought the mileage down.

The key though is that I filled up in Houston, got on a freeway 1 mile later, drove 2 hours and 45 minutes non-stop (but for 3 toll-booths) until I exited the freeway and drove about 5 miles to their home.

That's not a realistic measure of how I plan to drive the car but it was an interesting exercise.

My Instant fuel mileage pretty consistently stayed between 18 and 22 while I was cruising down the road, primarily affected by the moderate undulations in the road in this flat state of Texas.