: Synthetic or Regular Oil in 08 Escalade ESV?

JRfigo
03-15-09, 01:22 PM
I have been arguing with my dealer about this for a while. They claim that only 2009 Escalades require Synthetic oil, and they can use regular oil in 2008s. Is this true?
If it's not true, what can happen to my car? (I am mainly worried about short term issues, including lower mileage)

Submariner409
03-15-09, 01:26 PM
Dino or synthetic oils in the recommended viscosity range for your vehicle won't affect mileage. What oil type and weight does your Owner's Manual recommend ?

Ranger
03-15-09, 03:36 PM
I don't know much about the Escalades or the engines they use, but if it has VVT (Variable Valve Timing) it must use synthetic.

AJxtcman
03-15-09, 03:42 PM
I have been arguing with my dealer about this for a while. They claim that only 2009 Escalades require Synthetic oil, and they can use regular oil in 2008s. Is this true?
If it's not true, what can happen to my car? (I am mainly worried about short term issues, including lower mileage)

ALL 2008 Cadillac's require Mobil 1

Both the VVT 3.6L and the VVT Northstar's (RWD) have required Mobil 1 since 04 I believe.
In 2008 FWD Northstar's and the Escalade's were added to the list also.

OK OEM started using barrel cut (is that the correct term SUB?) rings over 10 years ago now. This causes oil consumption. This also causes oil/carbon on the piston head. If you can build a cleaner burning oil you won't have abrasive deposits in the combustion camber. lets face it Diamond are hard and they come from Carbon.

I believe a report I read said with the old style piston rings 80% of the engines drag was from the rings. To improve fuel mileage OE switched to Barrel Cut Rings that also oil to be consumed at an alarming rate.

Guess what happened anyway?
You didn't call your congressmen and now the new C.A.F.E. standards mean you won't have a V8.

AJxtcman
03-15-09, 03:44 PM
I don't know much about the Escalades or the engines they use, but if it has VVT (Variable Valve Timing) it must use synthetic.

Yes it is a VVT or VVC depending on how you look at it.

Submariner409
03-15-09, 04:02 PM
Yep.....

Flat face = compression ring

Tapered or 3-part = oil control ring (scraper)

barrel face = modern low-tension compression ring

(While mindlessly surfing the oil refiner's sites I discovered that the European spec 0W-40 synthetic oils do not carry the energy-conserving "starburst" symbol. Why not? Because, among other things, they carry a higher ZDDP load than EPA allows.) Pretty much the same situation with domestic Fleet, marine, and diesel rated 10W-30 oils. Perfect for automotive use, but too much ZDDP for approval.