: Any way to install a rear view camera that works with NAV screen

mr.algaz
03-15-09, 04:21 AM
Hey guys,

I have been looking through the forum for a long time. Have you got any ideas that i can install the rear view camera and make it work on the NAV screen. Is there any ports at the back of the screen that i can install it on..?

Thanks in advance

wait4me
03-15-09, 12:27 PM
Yes there are. Ill be posting instructions when i get some free time. It only works on the input when the BCM sends the Reverse tail light activation.

Cadillac Tony
03-15-09, 12:42 PM
Once the CTS wagon comes out in the fall, we should be able to order the bolt-on camera lens and associated wiring right through parts, eliminating the need for fabbing something up.

mr.algaz
03-15-09, 06:29 PM
Yes there are. Ill be posting instructions when i get some free time. It only works on the input when the BCM sends the Reverse tail light activation.

Well i would be more than thankful if you send me the installation or put it online so everyone can benefit from it. It will be so helpful and will make the car look so luxurious..

Thanks a lot wait4me

Fubar75207
03-15-09, 07:04 PM

Is this for the '09?

I plan on calling you Monday to talk about your tune and some of your aftermarket goodies for the '09 CTS. Is there a good time to speak with you?

Thanks

neuronbob
03-15-09, 07:11 PM
Once the CTS wagon comes out in the fall, we should be able to order the bolt-on camera lens and associated wiring right through parts, eliminating the need for fabbing something up.

This is awesome news, Tony! It's always better to have a company-provided solution simply for warrantied peace of mind.

Richie18
03-15-09, 07:37 PM
This is awesome news, Tony! It's always better to have a company-provided solution simply for warrantied peace of mind.

Not much you can break with a backup camera.

CSX
03-15-09, 11:30 PM
Not much you can break with a backup camera.

But there's a lot a dealer may not want to fix under warranty due to installation of aftermarket accessories. Technically, they can't, but many will try to get out of it anyway.

edsuski
03-16-09, 12:13 AM
Count me in on the back-up camera. I would even like to have one that would let me know if I am going to hit a parking lot curb when I am parking. The camera is the cheapest part of this type of solution. Once you have the display - the camera should be an option.

Please message me when the solution is proven for the back-up camera. Will it be using the GM Lock Pick device?

Ed

Vee
03-16-09, 12:29 AM
A back up camera would be a cool little accesory, but a camera that shows how close my front air-dam is to those parking curbs would be way more helpful. I hate getting out of the V only to se my rubber dam sitting on top of the curb. It would be nice to easily get as close as you can to the parking curb so your rear isnt sticking out dangerously far for crappy drivers to back into from accross the way.

wait4me
03-16-09, 10:08 AM
You guys are right, my method is just putting 2 pins into the radio and then wiring up the power and ground on the camera.. It is exactly how a dealer/oem would do.

Tony is referring to just looking up the schematics on the 2010 radio to find the 2 pins. I already dissasembled the whole radio and pinouts of the 2009 so i already did the hard work.

mr.algaz
03-16-09, 10:22 AM
Wait4me,

Can you post the instructions please. I would really like to add a camera to my car and i wish if GM has used the same camera as they used on the Escalade.

Thanks in advance

RogersV
03-16-09, 10:49 AM
Count me in on the back-up camera. I would even like to have one that would let me know if I am going to hit a parking lot curb when I am parking. Ed

A back up camera would be a cool little accesory, but a camera that shows how close my front air-dam is to those parking curbs would be way more helpful.

Before my V I installed both front and rear cameras on my Charger. The front camera was the most useful, I went three years without ever touching any of those parking curbs, priceless.

ExtraV
03-16-09, 01:24 PM
The new 2010 Caddy SRX will also have a rear camera and the same pop up nav screen. It comes out this summer and you could probably use those parts.

Vlakaz
03-16-09, 02:01 PM
A back up camera would be a cool little accesory, but a camera that shows how close my front air-dam is to those parking curbs would be way more helpful. I hate getting out of the V only to se my rubber dam sitting on top of the curb. It would be nice to easily get as close as you can to the parking curb so your rear isnt sticking out dangerously far for crappy drivers to back into from accross the way.

Vee, I actually put a camera on the front license plate of our STSv for that very reason. Purchased a cheap $65 comera which comes with a small lcd. We leave the LCD in the armrest and simply pull it out to take a look when parking in an unfamiliar spot to make sure we don't scrap the front.

I plan on doing something similar with my CTSv when I pick it up in a 3 weeks.

Fubar75207
04-12-10, 11:44 AM
Anything new on this topic?

Vlakaz
04-12-10, 03:55 PM
Anything new on this topic?

My wallet is open and ready to hear from someone that knows how to do this... I haven't checked out the CTS wagon in person... does it have backup camera for the 2010 models?

IBNR
04-13-10, 04:10 AM
^^^^

+1

1-2-N-V
04-13-10, 09:07 AM
and 1

readyact
04-13-10, 05:51 PM
I would have thought by now Jesse would have had something for us as his DVD unlock box has a pinout for a camera. Guess Jesse has higher priority things to work on like getting more horses out of our Vs than providing us with a peek in the rear.

tedcmiller
04-13-10, 09:28 PM
For those who don't want spend money or time installing a front camera. it should be pointed out that the 2009 and later CTS-Vs have a modified front end that clears (just barely) most tire stops and curbs (unlike the 2004-2007 CTS-V). Note that I said most, not all.

Caddyscat
04-14-10, 09:29 PM
there's gotta be a retrofit in the works. I'm pretty sure the wagon has a back up camera.

Vlakaz
04-15-10, 01:11 AM
I have a list of items I need serviced this month... I'll go check out the wagon while I am there and see how the backup camera works and how the menus look like on the screen.

A retrofit would be great if someone figures out how to do it.

dsteinmann
04-21-10, 09:47 PM
any word on this

Fubar75207
04-22-10, 10:19 AM
Jessie... we are waiting for you :rofl:

thebigjimsho
04-22-10, 10:33 AM
The V is not a long car. Try not pulling up as far as possible. It's not hard. I drive a Town Car L for work and that fits into spaces without a problem. And it dwarfs the V.

You need to correct your thinking.

Cadillac Cust Svc
04-23-10, 03:42 PM
The rearview camera system is on the 2010 Cadillac CTS Sport Wagon. It is available on both Performance trim levels (one for the 3.0L and one for the 3.6L engines) and it is standard on the Premium trim level. As far as retro fitting or even modification kits or anything of that sort I do not have that information. There is not an accessorie kit that we currently offer that would allow a dealership to add it on to the vehicle afterwards. I hope that at least asnwers one of the questions in this thread.

Jeff Morris, Cadillac Customer Service

IBNR
04-24-10, 02:13 AM
Thanks, Jeff! Too bad though; looks like the backup camera will also be standard on the new Coupe (including V). In case it's not obvious, there are A LOT of us sedan owners that would happily pay for a OEM retrofit solution here....

neuronbob
04-24-10, 11:36 AM
Thanks for posting, Jeff. Those of us with sedans would sure appreciate the development of one if not retroactively, then at least in future model years of the CTS. The high decklid on the CTS sedan makes a camera very useful.

In the meantime, Jesse, we need you here! :thumbsup:

mowershop
06-06-10, 11:41 PM
I am picking my V up wed/thurs the 1st thing it needs is a back up camera I can do the work I just need parts/direction
subscribing

tbisme
06-09-10, 05:05 PM
Hey guys,
I purchased a camera and mounted it on the rear of my V and purchased a rear view mirror that has an LCD screen behind the reflective material, that you can't see until video is turned on. The installation was relatively simple. There is a voltage that is sent to the rear view mirror connector when the car is put into reverse. This pin in the connector is unused on my 09, so I used this to send power to my camera control box that comes with the camera and mounts under the carpet behind the center console. When the car is put in reverse, the power is sent to the "box", and the camera is powered up. At the same time the LCD comes to life and shows the image. The system works well except for one thing.
Apparently the brighter the ambient light is on the outside, the more current draw the camera system pulls, and the power to the rear view mirror is turned off and then back on every second or so.
The system works well at night or early in the AM, but once the sun is high in the sky, the power starts cutting off going to the mirror. It's not just the camera system that goes dead, it's the power LED on the mirror also. I've disconnected my camera until I can install some type of relay that would draw less current on the mirror circuit, and use a set of dry contacts wired directly to batt + to power up the camera.
Good Luck

RemoWilliams
06-09-10, 05:22 PM
So, did you remove your auto dimming rear view mirror with the on star buttons to replace it with a new one? No On Star?

tbisme
06-09-10, 05:27 PM
The new mirror is made by the same manufacturer as the orig equip, but it's a tad larger to house the LCD. All the same functions as the orig but added the LCD and video input.

IBNR
06-09-10, 05:52 PM
Can you post a link to where you bought this mirror? I'm very interested in this. Potentially more interested, in fact, than a back-up camera that works through the dash screen, which I typically keep down unless I'm specifically using the nav system.

RemoWilliams
06-09-10, 09:47 PM
^^ +1

tbisme
06-10-10, 02:24 PM
brandnewauto.com
I couldn't find the mirror on their web site today when I checked to see if it was still there, so I called them and they said that there is a royalty issue between the manufacturer of the mirror, Gentex, and GM. Apparently Gentex, who supplies the OEM mirrors to GM, is supposed to be charging more for the mirrors to the aftermarket distributors, and GM is not happy. The bottom line is it may be difficult to find one right now.
The model that I have is GENK356, and the camera is a Sanyo CCABC200.
I wish the news would be better.

tedcmiller
06-10-10, 07:15 PM
I use the method suggested by thebigjimsho to avoid front strikes on high curbs and wheel stop - that is, don't pull up so far. However, like some of the other posters, I would prefer a front camera that shows how close I am to any front obstructions.

thebigjimsho
06-10-10, 08:07 PM
I use the method suggested by thebigjimsho to avoid front strikes on high curbs and wheel stop - that is, don't pull up so far. However, like some of the other posters, I would prefer a front camera that shows how close I am to any front obstructions.
likes this

GMX322V S/C
06-11-10, 12:05 PM
As with my other lowered cars, I'm constantly fine tuning how to use my driver's side-view mirror base as a gauge for how close I am to a parking block--as long as I can see the block as I lean over toward the window.

RemoWilliams
06-11-10, 11:30 PM
Looks like you can get the mirror with the built in screen Here (http://www.qualitymobilevideo.com/genk356.aspx).

tbisme - Have you tried On Star with the new mirror and does it dim automatically OK? I think this would be a great option.

SleepTight
06-12-10, 12:29 AM
Same product sold at this site http://www.autotoys.com/x/product.php?productid=12961 which post the following warning:

Our OnStar® mirrors will not work on the following models; 2010 Buick Lacrosse, Cadillac SRX, Camaro, Saab 9-4x, Chevy Equinox, GMX Terrain, Cadillac CTS coupe & wagon. The factory mirror in these vehicles has a different harness configuration. We are currently engineering a solution so that we can accommodate these vehicles. The website will be updated as soon as it is available. Please call MITO with any questions 1-800-433-6486.

Since the CTS coupe is not on the market yet, I think it's safe to assume they are talking about CTS sedans.

bobk469101
06-18-10, 03:36 PM
hey guys im new to the forum . if you need help with a camera for the back or front or both i can help. just pm me or email me and i will be glad to help. my email is bobk469101@aol.com

cmann_97
06-18-10, 07:49 PM
Appreciate any info on the front camera .... when you guys get something working....

Thanx in advance!

idoitforv
07-15-10, 09:57 PM
TTT, wait4me ne update on gettin a OEM resolution to this.

khoeysr
07-16-10, 04:17 PM
I have come up with an easy two step process.

1. Go to your garage and remove the pre-2011 V.

2. Go to the dealer and buy a 2011 V.

You will now have a working backup camera.

Sorry, it's Friday, I'm a little fried and couldn't resist being a j*rk off. :want:

Caddyscat
07-16-10, 05:15 PM
Damn! Why didn't I think of that! Easy fix!

Fubar75207
08-18-10, 06:27 PM
My dealer says there is a kit for the 2009 CTS-V back up camera. However he wanted $1,200+ for kit and install. I figured someone here would be able to confirm the availability and beat the price. Anybody?

Fubar75207
10-01-10, 09:08 PM
My dealer says there is a kit for the 2009 CTS-V back up camera. However he wanted $1,200+ for kit and install. I figured someone here would be able to confirm the availability and beat the price. Anybody?

It's an aftermarket kit not a GM part. I just want to know where to plug in the video. I got this on ebay (http://cgi.ebay.com/CAR-REVERSE-CAMERA-BACKUP-REARVIEW-COLOR-NIGHT-VISION-/300458353700?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45f4b6a424#ht_4115wt_944). If someone has a wiring diagram I'll go digging around the back of the NAV. $25 or $1,200 hmmm

FredR
10-02-10, 02:09 AM
Nav-TV makes a kit called the CTS-GVIF that I am looking at installing in the next few weeks. It attaches to the nav unit and gives up to 3 video inputs plus a rear camera input. It's not cheap but is completely integrated. You can even get a FLIR camera with the kit. I have been quoted $1900 installed with a front and rear camera. It's worth the money not having a hackjob done to my car.

neuronbob
10-02-10, 08:01 AM
Yikes. $1900? But do let us know how well it works.

cbloveday
10-02-10, 03:18 PM
I called several months ago inquiring about the GMLANCAM. I spoke directly with an associate. I told them I had the OEM touch button NAV system in my car and was wondering if it would interface with that system. I was told that BEFORE INSTALLING THIS INTERFACE, THE VEHICLE MUST BEQUALIFIED BY THE PRESENCE OF UV CODES UVA, UVB, UV8 OR UV9

I gave them my car had the following code associated with the NAV system is: UAV
They told me the GMLANCAM would not work.

I just went to their site and did not see the GM-GVIF. I saw these manuals.

Backup Camera System

ALLGIG-USB - BU CAM input and more for Chrysler MyGIG Installation and user Manual

ALLSYNC - BU CAM input and VIM for '09 Sync Installation and user Manual

ALLSYNC Gen2 - BU CAM input and VIM for '09 Sync Installation and user Manual

ALLSYNC Switcher - 2-Input A/V switcher for AllSync Gen2 Installation and user Manual

Audi 3G-CAM - Backup camera input for '09 & Up Audi vehicles with the 3G MMI Installation and user Manual

BMW09 - Backup Camera input for new iDrive BMW 3,5,6,7,X5,X6 User Manual

BMW56CAN - Backup Camera input for iDrive BMW 3,5,6,X5,X6 User Manual

BMW56 (old module) - 1st Generation Backup Camera input for iDrive BMW 3,5,6,X5,X6 User Manual

BMW56CAN - (Black Module) for iDrive BMW 3,5,X1,X5,X6 User Manual

BMWV+ - Backup Camera input for older NON-iDrive BMW's User Manual

BNTKIT - Backup Camera input for Bentley GT User Manual | Installation Manual

California-VIM - Backup Camera input and more for Ferrari California Installation and user Manual

CAM - Color, Mirror image Backup Camera User Manual

CAYNCAM - Backup Camera input for Porsche Cayenne User Manual

GM204 - Backup Camera input for 2004 GM SUV's User Manual | Installation Manual

GM205 - Backup Camera input for 2005-2006 GM SUV User Manual | Installation Manual

GMLANCAM - Backup Camera input for 2007 & up GM SUVs User Manual

GVIF - Backup Camera input for Range Rover Installation Manual

MINICAM - User Manual

NTG3 - User and Installation Manual

PCM3-CAM - Backup camera interface for 2009 & 2010 Cayenne | User and Installation Manual

PCM3.1-CAM - Backup camera interface for 2011 & Up Cayenne and 2009 & Up Panamera | User and Installation Manual |
YouTube Installation Video for Panamera

RECAV KIT - User and Installation Manual

RGB2 - Universal RGB backup camera interface User Manual | Installation Manual

RGB7 - Backup Camera input for BMW 7 (E65) User Manual | Installation Manual

RGBA8 - User Manual | Installation Manual

RGBA8 (Black) - User Manual | Installation Manual

RGBHON - User Manual | Installation Manual

RGBLEX - User Manual | Installation Manual

RGBLIN - User Manual | Installation Manual

RGBM - User & Installation Manual

RGBPORSCH - User Manual | Installation Manual

TOYCAM - User Manual | Installation Manual

W204 - User and Installation Manual

W204M - User and Installation Manual

W221CAM - User and Installation Manual

X164 - User and Installation Manual

OEMCAM - User Manual

SO IS THE GM-GVIF SOMETHING NEW? IF SO I AM VERY INTERESTED.

GMX322V S/C
10-02-10, 03:31 PM
Found a GVIF-CTS (http://www.installer.com/item/display_item.php?it=GVIF-CTS) over at installer.com, but no details...