: Fuel suggestions

oldworld
03-15-09, 12:32 AM
Around town where I live, ebery station but one sells gas with 10% ethanol.
Every real mecahnic I know swears by "real" gas..........no ethanol.
BUT, where do we buy it. The one station in town that sells real gas also sells ethanol 10% as well. regular 87 costs the same for both. Real gas he only carries in 89.
They say the REAL gas burns more efficient, burns hotter, and bets better gas mileage.
Is that true? Anu thoughts?

If it is true, why are we selling and manufacturing ethanol to begin with? From what I understand it costs the gov more to make and produce ethanol than real gas................with the fact that we subsidize farmers for growing corn used to make fuel??
What gives???
Thanks for your help with this.

luxurylife33
03-15-09, 05:01 AM
never put ethanol in ur Escalade, unless its the newer FlexFuel model. You will ruin your car putting e85 ethanol in ur non flex fuel escalade, i promise you that! (i believe your referring to the e85)

oldworld
03-15-09, 10:31 AM
It is not e85, which I believe is all ethanol.

At every gas station I have come across in the last 6 months, I see a sticker one the face of the pump stating "gasoline contains up to 10% ethanol", so its a blend of gas and ethanol.

I have only seen ONE gas station within 20 miles of me that actually carries------
REAL 100% GAS, no ethanol added. Both in 87 and 89, no super.
He also goes carry 87 octane blended gas as well.

Does anyone here know of any gas company who's gas in NOT BLENDED.
Turkey Hill Blended
WaWa Blended
Sunoco Blended
Gulf Blended

Let me know...............I am sure others would want to know the advantages to real gas over blended and where they can buy it.

mbovinet
03-15-09, 03:41 PM
We have the 10% here as well. I pass on that stuff and go with the straight premium here. I've only seen 1 station here that had all grades blended with the 10%

oldworld
03-15-09, 04:59 PM
You actually have gas stations near you that carry 87,89 and 91-93 in all 100% real gas without the 10% ethanol??
Lucky you.
We have ONLY ONE station here, with real straight gas but only in 87 and 89.

BYW..............what brand station is that?
Does anyone here know of any BRAND gas that has 91 octane in real gas with any ethanol??
THANKS

mbovinet
03-15-09, 05:14 PM
I'm not sure of the store name. But at least the stickers on the pump don't mention having 10% in them. Now the 89 grade here is all at 10%. But all others grades at most stations don't say anything. Hopefully that means it's 100% gas

oldworld
03-15-09, 05:30 PM
I believe that if you see a sticker afixed to the pump, it means all octanes pumped through that pump contain up to 10% ethanol.

The station here has an eight foot sign stating REAL GAS.
They list 87 octane in REAL and 10% ethanol.
They list 89 octane in REAL gas as well...............

joee5
03-15-09, 05:55 PM
I never noticed but I wil take note now. Deceiving us consumers again. What else is new. God Bless,Joe

oldworld
03-15-09, 07:36 PM
Its like a two inch by 5 inch white sticker some where on the pump cabinet face.
I will be very surprised if you don't have one.
I have been looking everywhere I travel....all have the 10% ethanol.
Wonder why when it costs more to produce???

themadhatter
03-19-09, 12:27 AM
its most likely an emissions issue....remember MTBE?

I would prefer to buy my fuel without ethanol in it but I think every station in my area is required to have it. Either way, I run only premium (93) in my truck as it gives me an actual 3 mpg better mileage then when I used to run regular in it. the increase in mileage actually makes running premium cheaper then running regular grade (87) gas.

oldworld
03-19-09, 09:34 AM
I do wonder though what the effect of adding 10% ethanol to the fuel has on the engine itself? If has to change something. Can't be good.
Does anyone know this answer?

pcguy760
03-20-09, 03:32 AM
Good question oldworld, I wonder that too. I think like every gas station here has that 10% sticker on the pump...

ratbike1
03-20-09, 09:52 AM
I do wonder though what the effect of adding 10% ethanol to the fuel has on the engine itself? If has to change something. Can't be good.
Does anyone know this answer?

It has a negative effect on mileage; ethanol blends getting less that is.
I've never noticed a problem with the Caddy, but the Euro cars(especially the turbo variety) do NOT like the stuff at all and will usually require a ECM reflash to run correctly on it.