: Correct tire pressure

oldworld
03-14-09, 11:28 PM
I have an 03 Escalade with factory 20 inch rims. I just purchased 4 new tires. The sticker on the driver door gives GM tire pressure for 17 inch tires.
I called my local caddy dealer, and asked why my truck has 20 inch rims and the sticker says I have 17 inch rims. Turns out that somewhere along the ownership trail, 20 inch factory rims were added to my vehicle. I asked the dealer what the pressure should be and he "thought" it should be at 35psi.
WHAT SHOULD THE PRESSURE BE SET AT............to be correct?
Thanks

jordan00escalade
03-15-09, 12:18 AM
Don't even know what size tires you have... example: 275/45/20

Look up the ESV Platinum though.. They come with 20 inch wheels, and if your tire sizes match you have your answer. Best I could come up with.

Tug Boat
03-15-09, 01:11 AM
The tire will tell you the maximum pressure, not the recommended pressure. I am running factory 20" rims at 30psi, same pressure as noted on the door of my EXT. I have Michelin LTX tires.

I will have to check my door sticker, as I think my EXT originally came with 17" rims. I don't think the recommended tire pressure changes when you change the rim size, but I am not a mechanic.

luxurylife33
03-15-09, 03:58 AM
most tires are between 30-35psi .... should tell u on the white sticker and owners manual

obxdiver
03-15-09, 05:52 AM
My 05 ESV Platinum came with 20's
The door sticker says I have 20's also, and to set them to 30psi
Goodyear Eagle P275-55-20

oldworld
03-15-09, 09:36 AM
THEY ARE DIRECTIONAL TIRES
275/55/R20

Like I said the service manager thought "35"psi.
Does everyone here leave them at 30 psi????
Any reason to do 30 over 35? Not as bumpy??

Let me know what you guys think

Arthur

mbovinet
03-15-09, 01:55 PM
The higher the PSI the longer the life on the tires within reason. It's also a smoother ride at lower PSI because the tire sidewals give a little more

oldworld
03-15-09, 06:40 PM
I just adjusted them down to 30.
I had the alignment checked a few days ago and they were at 45 psi. The truck was bumpy as hell. Much better now. Just don't want to wear the tires too soon with 30 psi.
I trust what everyone here says.
THANKS

Tug Boat
03-15-09, 09:53 PM
I checked my door sticker. My 20" rims were dealer installed, and they added a new sticker for the tire pressure. 30 psi it is!

Make sure to check your tire pressure often. Doesn't take much air loss to lower the pressure on a low profile tire.

oldworld
03-17-09, 10:10 PM
30 it is then.......hope they don't wear quick. never ran tires at 30psi in my life lol

SFX Group
01-08-15, 04:20 PM
I donr like pulling old threads out, however did anyone have an issue with there TPMS with 30PSI, mine has a low pressure warning with 30PSI, i have a 2004 Platinum so came with 20's and the door says 30PSI

Is this a bug? i understand the door module can be re-programmed, did a new one get fitted and it not set to the lower pressure?

wesyder
01-08-15, 05:17 PM
I donr like pulling old threads out, however did anyone have an issue with there TPMS with 30PSI, mine has a low pressure warning with 30PSI, i have a 2004 Platinum so came with 20's and the door says 30PSI Is this a bug? i understand the door module can be re-programmed, did a new one get fitted and it not set to the lower pressure? does the pressure reading on the dash match whats in the tire, it could be a bad sensor

the cadillac man
01-08-15, 06:43 PM
^ what he said

SFX Group
01-08-15, 07:14 PM
does the pressure reading on the dash match whats in the tire, it could be a bad sensor

Escalade doesnt read out pressure on the dash, only that "something is low". I am told 2012 and newer the truck actually tell you wheel pressures. However the 03-06 generation computer does know the pressures. I will be checking that when its warmed up. OnStar has them, you can call and they will give you it live (no idea why you cant access this info from the dash read out).

That said i think i know whats going on and will report back at the weekend (or sooner).

wesyder
01-08-15, 07:46 PM
It should read pressure, my 05 denali does with an escalade cluster in it

jimmy88
01-08-15, 08:24 PM
I think you go to where it says tire pressure then on the right set of buttons hit the reverse arrow(i think its the lowest button on the steering wheel)that should scroll through the pressures

SFX Group
01-08-15, 08:38 PM
I think you go to where it says tire pressure then on the right set of buttons hit the reverse arrow(i think its the lowest button on the steering wheel)that should scroll through the pressures

Tried that, the "return" arrow takes me back to the RANGE numbers. The button above this is the Driver x settings (like lights on delay etc...), ive not found a button to display errors.

wesyder
01-08-15, 08:54 PM
Tried that, the "return" arrow takes me back to the RANGE numbers. The button above this is the Driver x settings (like lights on delay etc...), ive not found a button to display errors. i use the lower left steering wheel controls that looks like a road till i get to tire pressure then use the lower right that looks like the return key to toggle thru the tire pressures, it doesn't show errors just pressure for each wheel

jnrsesv
01-08-15, 09:00 PM
Our 2005 Platinum with factory 20's displays individual tire pressures in DIC.

SFX Group
01-08-15, 10:32 PM
Our 2005 Platinum with factory 20's displays individual tire pressures in DIC.

I think i found it, I notice the manual says
"The TPMS is designed to alert the driver, if a low tire pressure condition exists. This system also allows the driver to check tire pressure levels using the Driver Information Center (DIC)."

Then on page 3-51 says:
"(Trip Information): Press the trip information button to scroll through the ODOMETER, TRIP A, TRIP B, TIRE PRESSURES, TIMER, and ENGINE HOURS."

Mine doesn't show this like that, i have "personal trip" and "business trip" i also do not have Tire Pressures showing up.... so what gives? Damaged door module? however the dash shows the message and tire light...

Just to be clear here:
OnStar can see the pressures (so the computer is working)
SnapOn can see the pressures from the ODBC connector (so the computer is working)
The dashboard has the TPMS light that works
The DIC warns me about low Tire Pressures
I can set the pressures with the method of brake on and "on / off" with the head lights x times in x seconds and the horn blows (and updates the computer)

It just the readout of tire pressures isn't in the list to read out in the DIC trip information button when i rotate threw the menu, i bet this is going to be a dealer visit with a Tech 2 connected... :(

godsdiablo
01-08-15, 11:12 PM
I think i found it, I notice the manual says "The TPMS is designed to alert the driver, if a low tire pressure condition exists. This system also allows the driver to check tire pressure levels using the Driver Information Center (DIC)." Then on page 3-51 says: "(Trip Information): Press the trip information button to scroll through the ODOMETER, TRIP A, TRIP B, TIRE PRESSURES, TIMER, and ENGINE HOURS." Mine doesn't show this like that, i have "personal trip" and "business trip" i also do not have Tire Pressures showing up.... so what gives? Damaged door module? however the dash shows the message and tire light...

I think 05-06 dic displays the numbers 02-04 says low pressure

SFX Group
01-08-15, 11:20 PM
I think 05-06 dic displays the numbers 02-04 says low pressure

Well that wouldn't surprise me, however the manual i have says "04"........ i wonder what needs to change to get that working in an 04?
Who would know for sure? (dealer?)

wesyder
01-08-15, 11:35 PM
Well that wouldn't surprise me, however the manual i have says "04"........ i wonder what needs to change to get that working in an 04? Who would know for sure? (dealer?) its possible the cluster doesn't have the correct software for the vehicle, which is gonna require a flash with the tec2

SFX Group
01-08-15, 11:40 PM
Going to talk to a dealer about this i think... see where i can get with it... It appears its minor in the grand scheme however is something i will investigate.

the cadillac man
01-09-15, 12:48 AM
It should show the readouts of each tire as 04 was the first year for the escalade to have this and yes it does show each tire(I have a manual for a 04 on my laptop)

I can only guess your passenger door module or cluster has went coocoo and has lost its programming for that feature to work fully as it should

SFX Group
01-09-15, 12:56 AM
It should show the readouts of each tire as 04 was the first year for the escalade to have this and yes it does show each tire(I have a manual for a 04 on my laptop)

I can only guess your passenger door module or cluster has went coocoo and has lost its programming for that feature to work fully as it should

I have verified the VIN as "2004 Cadillac Escalade ESV Platinum Edition" with oddly enough "20 inch wheels" so i bet its either the wrong door module (as i am sure its set to 35PSI when 20's are 30PSI) or the dashboard (or both).

flyingdutchman
01-09-15, 09:01 AM
Well I have an 2004 ESV and the individual reading for each tire is not there Will just say low pressure Here is a PDF of the manual

http://www.vadengmpp.com/owners-manual/cadillac/2004-Cadillac-EscaladeESV.pdf

SFX Group
01-09-15, 09:31 AM
Well I have an 2004 ESV and the individual reading for each tire is not there Will just say low pressure Here is a PDF of the manual

http://www.vadengmpp.com/owners-manual/cadillac/2004-Cadillac-EscaladeESV.pdf

This confirms my truck, on page 3-47 it says:

"(Trip Information): This button will display the odometer, personal trip odometer, business trip odometer, hourmeter, annual log and the timer."
This is the same information my truck gives "Personal" and "Business" not "Trip A" and "Trip B", so they changed this likely in 2005 or 2006...

Thanks for the confirmation, appears i cant read the pressure settings in my truck, i wonder how i would change the DIC? Is this in the dashboard itself?

jnrsesv
01-09-15, 01:51 PM
"(Trip Information): This button will display the odometer, personal trip odometer, business trip odometer, hourmeter, annual log and the timer."[/I]
This is the same information my truck gives "Personal" and "Business" not "Trip A" and "Trip B", so they changed this likely in 2005 or 2006...

Must have changed for the 2005 and, since it is mentioned in this thread.