: Any tips to make auto transmisson survive?

colbachlaw
03-14-09, 10:22 PM
It has been a long time since I had a high horsepower auto (1996 Impala SS running 8 lbs of boost).

The first transmission on that car did not last too long, as I spent a fair amount of time at the dragstrip.

I will definitely be doing track days with my V and a few passes down the quarter.

I have a CAI and tune on order and I am sure I will end up with headers and a few more pounds of boost.

Besides not beating on it and running synthetic, is there anything I can do to prolong the life of the transmission on my new V?

Thanks,

Mike C

Razorecko
03-15-09, 09:20 AM
well off hand the only thing I could think of you could do is see if there is space to install a quality aftermarket trans cooler like a "setrab" or if you got hardcore you could rip apart the trans and get it 'cryo'd'

Richie18
03-15-09, 10:57 AM
Heat kills transmissions, so make sure to keep the temperature in the optimal range, possibly install a trans temp gage, and then like what was mentioned above, a bigger trans cooler.

edsuski
03-16-09, 12:21 AM
Heat kills transmissions, so make sure to keep the temperature in the optimal range, possibly install a trans temp gage, and then like what was mentioned above, a bigger trans cooler.

The 2009 has a trans temp gage that can be accessed via the DIC. I assume that there is already a trans cooler. One could always go larger - but what is the optimal (or maximum) trans temp?

Thanks in advance.

Ed

CadV
03-16-09, 01:20 AM
This tranny is in the ZR1 so I think it will be ok.

CSX
03-16-09, 01:42 AM
This tranny is in the ZR1 so I think it will be ok.

No, there's no auto available in the ZR1.

wait4me
03-16-09, 10:21 AM
The transmissions used in this thing are pretty tough. The thread shouldnt be a worry.

As with any transmission with clutches, The clutches are a wear item and have an execution limit. It may be 500,000 completed shifts per gear set, it may be more or less. That all depends on Transmission oil temperature, APPLIED engine torque, and several other things like factory spec tolerances from the supplier.

Things to increase the longevity of the 6l90e Trans are:

1 Increase fluid capacity.
2 improve the capacity of the cooling system.
3 Decrease shift times commanded in ecm.
4 "Slightly" increase line pressures to apply less slip while moving from one gear set to the next in the ecm.
5 let the unit cool back down while running at idle before turning off the car after a hard run around the track.
6 change the trans filter at 50% instead of the calculated 100% interval.
7 Change fluid at 35% or more.
8 Dont use slicks. :D "when im at the track with you, cause i want to win. " j/k

1fastctsv
02-13-11, 11:21 PM
My trans just blew last night. 1-2- 2-3 GONE slipping like there's no tomorrow. Anyone here have a built up trans? I'm auto obviously. I cant imagine me screwing up this trans after 24K with 533RWHP. I barely M shift, and I have two tunes in theTCU's one for drivemode and one for S mode. Should I just put in a new stock unit, or should I go out and build this trans? Any suggestions would be helpful.

Domsz06
02-13-11, 11:25 PM
My trans just blew last night. 1-2- 2-3 GONE slipping like there's no tomorrow. Anyone here have a built up trans? I'm auto obviously. I cant imagine me screwing up this trans after 24K with 533RWHP. I barely M shift, and I have two tunes in theTCU's one for drivemode and one for S mode. Should I just put in a new stock unit, or should I go out and build this trans? Any suggestions would be helpful.

wow that sucks!! haven't really heard of any blowing the trans up at your hp.... I'd call circle d. NO WAY would I put a stock one back in.. if your paying for it, make it stronger!!! ;) but if your gonna try and get someone else to pay..... :devil:

snzuloz
02-13-11, 11:36 PM
1fastctsv-clear your pm inbox

wetcoast
02-14-11, 12:04 AM
If you do drag race, don't floor it from an idle. Load up the torque convertor to almost the lock-up rpm and then when you get the green ease off the brake and into the pedal. I've heard that flooring it from an idle shocks the convertor when it hits the lock-up speed.

Domsz06
02-14-11, 12:05 AM
i wonder if the blown transmission is more from the tuner, or a bad transmission tune..... Just curious.....

600+ CTS-V
02-14-11, 12:48 AM

A while back I thought my tranny was done. Had it tuned and it turned out to be fine and is still stock. A person that knows how to tune can make the trans last a long time.

baabootoo
02-14-11, 01:20 AM
I don't know if I missed it, but the Dexron VI GM now uses approaches synthetic. Check out the stats for it and compare to Mobil 1 trans fluid. That's why they did it, and allowed older cars to be refilled; to protect against wear.

1fastctsv
02-16-11, 12:09 AM
My pm box is open, try again or email me anthonylombardi2007@gmail.com Seems strange, but it just gave out. It was slipping all over the place. 1-2 2-3 likeI said. i obviously didnt hit 4th, but we have had tune issues with the trans before. Right now its actually CHEAPER to build the trans then to get a rebuilt one. I know someone high up in GM he looked up my VIN and they dont even sell new units. They only give out rebuilt ones, therefore gmparts direct doesnt even have the right part number. Oh well. seems RPM, Level Ten, etc donteven want to touch this trans with respect to a build. BTW my 533RWHP is a little on theconservative side. I have heads cam, AR, corsa,9.5, intake, ported snout, etc. We put the mustang at 25% LOAD to make sure I was getting real numbers.

SNZULOZ - call me 732-856-3712. or email me anthonylombardi2007@email.com

Domsz06
02-16-11, 08:47 AM
My pm box is open, try again or email me anthonylombardi2007@gmail.com Seems strange, but it just gave out. It was slipping all over the place. 1-2 2-3 likeI said. i obviously didnt hit 4th, but we have had tune issues with the trans before. Right now its actually CHEAPER to build the trans then to get a rebuilt one. I know someone high up in GM he looked up my VIN and they dont even sell new units. They only give out rebuilt ones, therefore gmparts direct doesnt even have the right part number. Oh well. seems RPM, Level Ten, etc donteven want to touch this trans with respect to a build. BTW my 533RWHP is a little on theconservative side. I have heads cam, AR, corsa,9.5, intake, ported snout, etc. We put the mustang at 25% LOAD to make sure I was getting real numbers.

SNZULOZ - call me 732-856-3712. or email me anthonylombardi2007@email.com

Circle D is the ticket. Give em a call.

shade
03-26-11, 10:02 PM
To the Original Poster what did you end up doing?

cbloveday
03-27-11, 05:40 AM
Rossler transmissions ask for Carl

Dr.Buzz
03-27-11, 08:37 PM
Since it is still under warranty turn it in.

colbachlaw
03-27-11, 11:42 PM
Shade,

I have not done anything to my tranny yet, as it still works fine.

Had pulley installed last week and just waiting for Jesse to send a new tune to my installer (wait4me is sure the right name for Jesse's business) and I will hopefully pick up my V soon.

Hopefully I can get 20K more miles (at 16K now) out of it before something bad happens. Running stock tires, so lack of traction will hopefully keep my tranny alive.

Mike C

shade
03-28-11, 03:52 PM
Does it still slip?