: Annoying sliding back and forth noise in your dash or console? Try this...

CTSV_510
03-14-09, 07:03 PM
I had had this unbelievably annoying noise of something sliding back and forth in my dash when I made hard turns. While I was installing the UUC bushings and new GTO shift knob today, I figured I'd work on this issue as well.

After pulling the whole ashtray out, I found the suspect:

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn240/ctsv510/ashtraycoinsliding.jpg

That penny was driving me nuts. Ok, so it was easy enough to pull the ashtray out, time to put it back in. Hmm...not so easy...

I recommend prying the climate control part of the dash out so you can remove the outer trim piece that gets in the way of replacing the ashtray. It's really easy to get off with a screwdriver.

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn240/ctsv510/ashtrayre-install.jpg

Maybe you don't have to do this, but when I tried putting the ashtray back in, I ended up breaking the small piece of plastic that the spring on the left side of the ashtray rests against.

Without this little plastic piece, the ashtray doesn't stay flush to the dash and you have to pull on it to open it. Well that's just wasn't going to work for me, so I drilled a small hold where the plastic spring retainer was and replaced it with a baby size screw. This made it better than new in my opinion, as the screw is much stronger than the plastic and will be helpful next time I have to pull the ashtray out.

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn240/ctsv510/ashtrayspringscrewmod.jpg

All better now!

CadiBlk
03-14-09, 09:08 PM
I got a quarter under mine that slides around. I'll prolly get it out tomorrow. Reminds me that I'm not turning hard enough if I don't hear it slide.

KaMaSuTrA
03-16-09, 12:20 PM
I got a quarter under mine that slides around. I'll prolly get it out tomorrow. Reminds me that I'm not turning hard enough if I don't hear it slide.

I suspect that this mod will show up on CadillacFaq as the Physical G-Force Meter ;)

Cowan480
03-16-09, 02:03 PM
Nice work.. Nothing worse than noise in the dash!! I have a vibration on the driver side at certain RPMs.. I hate it!!

maximusdecimus
05-16-11, 08:38 AM
I used your method and it worked great. I used to repair copiers and I used a similar method when a little tab snapped off. I use a Sharp metal object like a tiny screwdriver tip or something. Heat it up with a lighter and then melt a hole in the plastic just big enough for the tiny screw to fit in. Then insert screw. What I realized after doing this though is that you should remove the trim plate and the entire heater control module and then put the ashtray in. This way, the plastic piece you have to snap the ashtray into has some room to flex. If I had done this in the first place, I wouldn't have broken the tab off.

DDS rollin a CTS
05-16-11, 02:28 PM
I have a "sliding" sound comming from my dash too! I suspected it was a coin but haven't had the chance to check it out. I wonder if there's a difference between the regular cts and the v in how this part of the dash is made because I never got a coin stuck in there in the cts but it doesn't appear to be an isolated event with the v.

kevm14
05-16-11, 02:39 PM
My car came with a quarter in that same spot. Took me over an hour to figure out how to take the HVAC panel out without breaking stuff. My tabs just did not want to let go. I don't think you're supposed to pull the ashtray by itself. I would have, but couldn't figure out how without breaking it.

D3l7a3ch0
05-16-11, 04:20 PM
I don't see how you lived with a noise like that, for so long