: Brakes

Silver Baron
07-06-04, 04:03 PM
Did anyone change the brake pads yet?

I understand the CTS-V has the F50 style Brembos, so would the pads for those calipers fit? Who knows the supplier for Cadillacís OE pads and what is the part #?

jspinetto
07-06-04, 05:25 PM
Good question.

My brakes have been squeaking for a while now and I only have 5K on them. I havent abused them that hard! I wonder how much new pads are?

Jonathan

07-06-04, 05:35 PM
It seems that I wash off about a brake pad worth of brake dust per week. I'd not be surprised if they were low mileage items......Jon, at 5K are you still seeing a lot of dust?

Doug

benjet
07-06-04, 06:40 PM
F50 style Brembos?? Someone explain that, please.

@ 8k I still have a ton of dust.

-Ben

Raven05
07-06-04, 07:24 PM
Must be a reference to the brakes on a Ferrari F50.

benjet
07-06-04, 07:29 PM
and how are the V brakes like those of an F50?

Silver Baron
07-06-04, 10:51 PM
The CTS-V front calipers are Brembo 4 piston.
This caliper style is either called the Porsche "Big Red" type first used in the 928, or the Ferrari style from the (yes!) F40/50 :worship: . They are slightly different. Also pads vary slightly.
Cadillac pads are made by ..........?:hmm: :hmm: :hmm:
Reputable pad manufacturers are Hawke, Pagid, EBC, Ferrodo, etc.... they all offer a great selection for either style.
The picture shows the F50 style pad fromPagid. Can anyone confirm if it's identical in size to the CTS-V pad?
I guess I could also just call one of the pad manufacturers. This should solve the issue :)

jspinetto
07-07-04, 12:45 AM
TONS of brake dust. If I dont wash the car every week it just looks horrid! In fact I think the wheels could almost use a rub down DAILY there is so much dust. But the car sure does stop fast :) and I will glady pay the price of brake dust for that!

Jonathan

Dreamin
07-07-04, 12:54 AM
Bad news is the V does not use the big reds nor the F40 calipers.
Good news is, the front is an "off-the-shelf" Brembo caliper. This caliper is also used on the Viper, Lotus Esprit, etc. It's Brembo caliper model# 20.5187.30
So pad are available right now!

Front
FMSI no: D592
Thickness: 0.665

Rear (This is a V proprietary pad :( )
FMSI no: D1011
THickness: 0.785

Hawk is showing availablity: HB194

THe Hawk HP might be a good pad to try, it's not known to be dusty, but (guessing here) it's probably not as aggressive as the stock pads.
The Hawk HP+ is a great street/track pad... works well on the track, probably just as dusty as stock pads.

I'll call PFC and EBC tomorrow and get there pad models too.

(EBC Green's suck as far as performance, but no dust!)

http://www.hawkperformance.com/images/brakepad/HB194-big.gif

Cal
07-07-04, 02:19 AM
Noone likes ceramic pads?

Silver Baron
07-07-04, 10:52 AM
Yes, they are not the exact part# as the F40/F50 but they are of the F50 style (two piece trough Ėbolts) which is actually good $ wise. Differences are minor, but enough to require other pads. Thanks Dreamin for clarifying this.

In the meantime I found this pic:

Regarding pads in general, if you think people argue over Ford vs. Chevy or BMW vs. Mercedes you should listen to the "pros" argue over brake pads manufacturers and compounds. Lot's of opinions and almost religious believes, as well as sometimes personal experiences. So, either try them yourself ($?) or listen to someone you think you can trust.

Its good to know there are lots of choices.

lasstss
07-07-04, 06:30 PM
I ran the Hawk HP+ pads. They are fantastic. This pad would make already incredible brakes even moreso. They do dust but I do not remember them being as dusty as the OEM's after break in. Didnt someone make a white dust pad ? Repko or something like that?

Dreamin
07-07-04, 08:16 PM
Ran them on the V?

lasstss
07-07-04, 08:53 PM
Sorry, not the V but my 96 ImpalaSS. They made an incredible difference. I would think they would be just as effective on the V.

GNSCOTT
07-07-04, 09:26 PM
If you do not like brake dust, go to Pep boys and get their lifetime pads. They will eat through your damn rotors they are so hard. Now you know how they make them life time pads and no life time rotors. Rotor dust doesn't stick to wheels.:)

Raven05
07-08-04, 11:39 AM
I'm not sure if there's any effect on the amount of dust, but the July issue of Car Craft has an article on Pg.78 about breaking in brakes. They quote a procedure recommended by Bendix called 30/30/30 to prevent glazing your new pads and breaking them in for maximum stopping power down the road.The gist of it is:
When breaking in new pads, make 30 moderate stops from 30 MPH at least 30 seconds apart.
IMHO driving around in normal city traffic would probably accomplish this automatically.

cts-vette
07-09-04, 09:50 PM
5K - i am not getting huge brake dust - i would say moderate....

Black magic has a spoke brush, soft bristles that works great for cleaning between the rotor and the rim so you dont have to take the tires of as often to clean.
It even fits between the brake caliper and the rim.

I still take the tires off once a month to clean - but this helps big time....

Silver Baron
07-09-04, 10:18 PM
Hi Dreamin,
Can you check your Hawks source again.
According to my 2004 Hawks Catalog this are the pads:
Front: FMSI No.7915 D1001 HB 453 .585

Rear: FMSI No.7471 D592 HB 194 .665

:hmm:

Dreamin
07-10-04, 03:27 AM
Silver, I have never gotten so much confusing, contradictory information on a topic... I have spent hours on the phone this week...

My info above is a few weeks old, talking to a Hawk product guy... and if you go to http://www.hawkperformance.com/ -> On Highway -> then select '04 CTS-V, you'll get exactly my info.

This week I called Hawk back to check availablity of the pads, and a different person gave me *your* info above... I pointed out that info contradicted info i got a few weeks ago from them, and their website... that confused everyone and they promised to get the right info back to me (no call back yet).

I spent about 30 minutes with PFC...helpful tech support guy... made him get the FMSI catalog... looked up the V in the current FMSI catalog and came back with D1055 front and D9xx rear (dont remember, have it written down)... said these pads are in production right now and should be available "in a few months".

Porterfield gave me a totally different front pad number, and the D592 for the rears (your info for the rear).

So talk to 3 people, get 4 different answers... I have no idea what's going on... i'll will post as soon as i hear back from Hawk. :helpless:

Silver Baron
07-10-04, 06:37 AM
Hi Dreamin,

Go to your car and look at the pads, front and rear. You get a good view if the wheel is turned just right. Notice the shape of the bottom of the fronts pad is flat, as in my first picture. The bottom of the rear pad is on a 45 angle, as in your picture. This may clarify some confusion.

Did anyone buy/see OEM pads yet? Can you measure the dimensions? Width, length thickness? Any indication on the box who may be the manufacturer?

Silver Baron
09-06-04, 07:46 AM
For the latest on the pad situation see #37 here (http://cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15965)