: Sell my two LS6s and build...?

UnsafeAtAnySpd
03-13-09, 11:12 PM
Well, I recently posted an ad on Craigslist for the T56 out of my wrecked V. I got a reply from a guy interested in the trans, engine and front seats (not sure of the application). Originally I had planned to keep the engine and build it up and eventually swap it into my V and potentially use the other engine for another project.
That said, I've been thinking that maybe I should try to sell both engines and buy something else to swap in. LS7-based? My current V is fairly high mileage at around 86k, so I kind of like the idea of a fresh higher horsepower engine. Thoughts?
Also, I've done a little searching on eBay and have seen the engine/tranny combo around $5-7k. Is this about right, or...?
Thanks.

darkman
03-13-09, 11:46 PM
I can't help you with the price, but I like your thinking about a fresh LS7 based motor.

Here is a place to get new crate motor prices for reference.

http://paceperformance.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=12782

nmaier2201
03-14-09, 12:30 AM
Oh I'd be interested in the trans... I wanna put it on the bench and take it apart... so I got a built spare in my basement... mine is on the way out the door. How many miles you got on yours and would you be willing to sell the trans?

Scatillac
03-14-09, 12:06 PM
An LS7-based (but dry sump) motor, of course!

The cost for converting the wet-sump crate motor can add quite a bit to your build and conversion, as can using the wet-sump format and adapting it to your car.

Also, since you have an LS6 based car, your swap will have to include the 24x reluctor wheel conversion which involves removing the crankshaft for the 58x timed crate motor.

A viable option is to use an LS7 top end and build your own short block with an LS7 case (which has longer sleeves) or get one of Katech's budget 427 short blocks that is set up for the LS7 heads.

A cheaper alternative would be a 416 L92-based motor (using a 6.2l case), still a top performer at about 2/3 the price of a comparable LS7-based build.

Either way, if you do your own motor, you can save quite a bit over a crate motor while still having quality components. and have the bonus of selecting a cam suited for your requirements.

While it's not as exotic-looking, a big displacement normally-aspirated motor (properly cammed and tuned) can provide adequate power :bigroll: for almost any situation while not having any unusual maintenance requirements.

ctsv154
03-14-09, 12:43 PM
You can also build a 427 out of the 6.2 block with a 4.125 stroke crank. I was seriously thinking about going 427 route before I bought luna's maggie.

UnsafeAtAnySpd
03-14-09, 07:28 PM
An LS7-based (but dry sump) motor, of course!

I was actually just looking at the engines on Katech's site (too bad the 20% off sale isn't still going on); the value 427 in particular. Would be nice...

So any idea on how much to ask for the engine, trans and seats? I don't want to give it away. :) It would be nice too since this guy doesn't live very far away and I wouldn't have to deal with shipping.

The Boss V
03-14-09, 08:52 PM
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/pts/1072767423.html

Local guy has one thats close to me for $4,100 around 24,000 miles

The Boss V
03-14-09, 08:52 PM
seats another $500-$700

CTS-Voodoo
03-14-09, 09:41 PM
If you have 2 LS6 engines lying around I suggest you sell one and use the money to buy parts for the other.

03-15-09, 12:04 AM
I think you are high on your engine/trans price.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270354317238&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&viewitem=
LS6 with 18K miles for $2425. I have seen others for less than $3k

Used T56 trans sell for ~$1500

Your mileage is pretty high too.

ctsv154
03-15-09, 12:14 AM
I think you are high on your engine/trans price.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270354317238&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&viewitem=
LS6 with 18K miles for $2425. I have seen others for less than $3k

Used T56 trans sell for ~$1500

Your mileage is pretty high too.

I wouldn't have spent that much on that engine. I would rather spend more on one that has never been into and actually has all the original LS6 stuff on it. It depends what year LS1 block that is. It may or may not be the same cast number wich anything prior to the LS6 cast is inferior. And it doesn't come with an LS6 intake. It comes with the inferior LS2 intake. And how many miles did the LS1 block have on it? I guarantee they didn't change the cam bearings. It sounds like that didn't change any of the bearings. Did they hone the new block or just rering and stuff them in?

Like I said, I would spend more for an unmolested LS6 with more miles.

UnsafeAtAnySpd
03-15-09, 10:52 AM
Thanks for the input so far, guys. Anybody else? I need to get back to this guy today.

Originally I was thinking about putting one of the LS6s in my Corvair, but I think for now I should just limit my focus to modding three cars. :)