: Looking at an '04 srx v-6

blizzmet06
03-13-09, 09:26 PM
I'm looking at buying a used '04 srx v6 with 42,000 miles on it.

I was just wondering how reliable these vehicles are being the first production year. Would I be able to have the srx serviced at any chevy/gmc dealer or would I have to go back to Cadillac?

What are people averaging for mpg with the v-6?

would you recommend the vehicle?

bigsky189
03-14-09, 09:08 PM
What are they asking for it? I just picked up a 2006 V6 AWD (moderately loaded) 27K miles for 18K. Looks like i am gettng 18ish city and very low 20's highway. Homework says this is a very reliable vehicle, my short experience is that research is correct. With that low mileage, can you pick up an extended waranty? I too are leary of first year production vehicles (regardless of foriegn or domestic). I picked it up from a chevy dealer, but if all things are equal I would prefer to use to use the Caddy dealer.

moveebuff
03-15-09, 11:26 AM
I have 04 SRX V8 and I love it. Most mechanics can service it. A couple of things I suggest you check before buying. Jack compartment, make sure that it doesn't have water in it. Hand wash the car or go over it very closely as there are serveral areas where my paint is peeling which I didn't notice when I bought it. The roof rack paint is peeling off as well as the paint on the front bumper. I would take it to a Cadillac or GM dealer and have them do a complete diagnostic. It may cost you $100 but could save you thousands. If it is still under warrantly then they could replace the catalytic converters which I believe are part of a recall. I really love my SRX but I wish someone would have advised me prior to purchasing of the little things to look for.

dmc22
03-16-09, 12:31 AM
04 srx v-8, Most of the problems have been addressed on this forum and resolved. The steering sensor was my biggest problem but discussed here and fixed under warranty. There have been a couple of recalls you probably should take care of. If you drive the speed limit the mileage is great, but if you have a heavy foot don't look at the mileage just enjoy the ride.

King3244
03-17-09, 10:25 PM
My son has my old 04 N* with upwards of 70,000 miles on it with no major problems. I just noticed though on mygmlink.com that there is a new recall for the 04's for a possibility that the car can be put into gear without stepping on the brake.

Gas mileage is a solid 21 on the freeway at 75 and about 16 in town....but I live in the mountains and it is up and down all the time so might be better on the flat.