: What are the best low dust brake pads?

DTS_BOI
03-13-09, 09:13 PM
I just picked up my V-8 2005 STS today!!!!!! Has only 30K miles. I sold my DTS on autotrader....

ANYWAYS,

This is the best car I have ever owned.. I love it but I need some brake pads. Plus, my original pads are making tons of brake dust.

What are the best "NO-DUST" brake pads I can get? Are ceramic pads "no dust"? When I went to the parts store, they asked me if I had 2 wheel ABS or 4 wheel ABS. I was not sure. Does it make any difference?

Please help me out. I gotta get these crappy pads off my car.

BTW - I absolutely LOVE this STS. It is fast as hell, and it is perfect! My DTS was wonderful, but I wanted something much more sporty. This STS is definately a better sports sedan in every way. My DTS had 80K miles on it and was bullet proof. I did not spend one single penny on any repairs. I look forward to enjoying my new STS!!! :bouncy:

Regulator
03-13-09, 11:49 PM
After one day you notice this is the best car ever....and the abundance of brake dust...Wow, very observant.

There are a bunch of different brake packages on your STS, look around your spare tire to figure out which one you have. (JE5?)

The ceramic pads available on the internet are supposed to be the lowest dust out there. I bought a set online, but haven;'t yet installed them.

DTS_BOI
03-14-09, 03:52 AM
Thanks for offering some help, some could you please be more speciffic? Im quite sure there are probably tens if not hundreds of different pads available online. What pads did you speciffically buy? Perhaps I will just buy the pads you have purchased. Did you buy ceramics?

Also, when I look in my trunk for the codes, where exactly would my codes for brakes be located? Perhaps I need to search this site more.

Thanks again.

Aron9000
03-14-09, 04:14 AM
I'd like to know this as well. My Brougham is due for brakes, and it has wire wheels, so anything that makes less dust would be awesome.

DTS_BOI
03-14-09, 04:28 AM
When I look in my trunk for the codes, which numbers listed are the codes that will tell me what brakes I have on my car? The parts store always ask me if I have front wheel ABS or 4 wheel ABS and Im not sure which I have. I would hate to purchase the wrong pads. Can anyone help me out?

Thanks again..

pgw85706
03-14-09, 09:08 AM
I'm partial to Akebono brake pads. Good experience with very low dust with these pads on the STS, BMW, Acura and Mazda.

justgreat
03-14-09, 10:53 AM
the first thing you need to do is figure out if you have the standard brakes or the performance option brakes. the performance brakes are the culprits for excessivebrake dust. the pad material is softer, affording shorter stopping distances. i have the standard brakes on my 06 and have NEVER had an issue with brake dust. i purposely stayed away from the brake upgrade because i didn't want to deal with the drake dust issue.

if you do have the performace brakes, then there might be a limited set of pads that fit your car...that will require some legwork.

jackg
06 sts6

Regulator
03-14-09, 02:49 PM
Did you find the list of options installed on your car? It is found on the spare tire cover.
JE5, JL8, etc.

I personally bought the akebono proact ceramic pads from rock auto. Haven't installed them yet but plan to in the next couple months.

Start your research at tirerack.com. They have some good infomation

AllGoNShow
03-14-09, 04:39 PM
Akebono is great for most people as they are low dust and a decent pad. If you plan on driving aggresively around town or do anything other than the speedlimit all the time, look into Hawk HPS pads. Lots of bite, great feel, low dust, they do make a little bit of noise especially when mated with a drilled/slotted rotor but they will bring your beast to a stop in no time :)

Lifer
03-14-09, 06:07 PM
I had Pep Boys install ceramics on the front and replace the rotors (27,000 - bad wear). JE5 performance brakes on V8. Good stopping power and no dust or noise.

AllWheelEric
03-15-09, 08:24 PM
I went with Raybestos QS and the dust problem went away. No noise either. Lucky me -- that was all I could find locally for JE5 brakes; it's not as if I spent any time researching.

DTS_BOI
03-16-09, 12:56 AM
I noticed under my tire cover that I had the code JL9. I believe that this is the non-performance brakes, correct? Now that I know, Im picking up some ceramic pads immediately. I will let everyone know how things go this week.

BTW - This STS is simply amazing. It is a true luxury sports sedan. I never thought my previous DTS was a "sports" sedan. Rather, it was a great luxury cruiser. I wanted something much more sporty and aggressive and I am overwhelmed everytime I drive my new STS. I only wish I had purchased one earlier. I see why you guys love this car. It is simply amazing. My DTS had 300 horsepower, but this STS feels soooooo much faster! This engine is a beast! I hate to ramble on, but its great to be in this forum!!

DBeaSST
03-16-09, 09:50 AM
I've been pretty happy with the ACDelco Ceramic pads. No squeal, no dust.

blunted
03-16-09, 02:54 PM
Akebono is great for most people as they are low dust and a decent pad. If you plan on driving aggresively around town or do anything other than the speedlimit all the time, look into Hawk HPS pads. Lots of bite, great feel, low dust, they do make a little bit of noise especially when mated with a drilled/slotted rotor but they will bring your beast to a stop in no time :)

This man speaks the truth.. I have the drilled/slotted rotors with the Hawk HPS and man, this setup is no joke. I never have brake fade and it bites so good when you get on it that it really will make you feel safe when driving. However like AllGo said, there is some squeel when stopping since the Hawk HPS are semi-metallic.. but the corvette guys deal with it and so can I.

If you want something completely quiet and no dust, look into the Hawk Ceramic pads. These are good too, but ceramics need to be heated up a little to get a good bite out of them and won't "WOW" you the way the HPS will.

Enjoy your STS!

AllGoNShow
03-16-09, 03:02 PM
^^ Werd :)

I may have a little V6 but going from 180-190km/h on the highway to 60 for the deer is a wonderful feeling with the HPS'. My heart jumped a little when the deer bounced out but other than that, I had no doubts the car was coming to a hault.

corvette00
03-16-09, 03:30 PM
I had ceramic on my 05 installed by the dealer. i got them to install them under warranty due to squeaking.

z06bigbird
03-19-09, 12:03 AM
Best low bake pads are either Aunt Jemima or Pillsbury.

Regulator
03-29-09, 11:52 AM
Put on my akebono pads yesterday when I was putting on my summer tires. It took me an hour and a half to do the whole job. One hint, make sure that you have 2 c-clamps for the front rotors, since it's a dual piston design.

I took off a really nice set of raybestos semi-metallic JE5 pads if anyone needs them! Even though they are semi-metallic, I still think that they put off too much brake dust, hopefully the new pads help.

Jesda
03-29-09, 12:49 PM
Best low bake pads are either Aunt Jemima or Pillsbury.

LOL!

I edited the thread title.

Lifer
05-02-09, 01:27 PM
I had Pep Boys install ceramics on the front and replace the rotors (27,000 - bad wear). JE5 performance brakes on V8. Good stopping power and no dust or noise.

Update: I now have 30K miles and I keep hearing a rubbing or grinding-like sound sound - thought it was the tires. Went into a brake shop and found that the right rear brakes were ground down to nothing and the piston was sticking in the caliber. The left side had some mileage left. So, I spent $488 bucks for ceramic pads, ground the rotors, and had the calipers rebuilt. No more grinding/rubbing sound and now no more of the crappy brsake dust on my wheels,

So at 30K, mild driving most of the time I have had 4 new tires, a realignment, and a full set of brakes - over $1500 spent. I expect at least another 40-50K on what I now have.

GM - they do have quality problems.