: 05 sts - Brake noise

MoodySumo
03-13-09, 08:11 PM
Hello guys, first let me just say I'm new and love this forum a lot of great advice and people. Well, I finally did it I just bought my fist Cadillac yesterday and it was the 2005 sts, pretty nice so far inside and out. It was a pre owned certified and I got the extended warranty for 3 years unlimited miles.

Here is my first concern and question, I picked it up about hour away from my home at a dealership and it was all highway when I got into my city I started hearing the brakes squeak pretty bad, I look at the rotors and it looks like they did front pads but you could tell the rotors where not touched and need to be turned or replace.

Now 1) that should be covered under the pre owned certified gm right??? I thought they had to have everything up to spec before they can sell a pre owned certified gm car.
2) I have the same dealership about 5 min way from my house, do you think they will honor the warranty on the Pre owned certified gm? I know they should honor the extended warranty because that's at any gm Cadillac dealership.

Thanking all you guys in advance

Daniel

WillySTS
03-13-09, 09:10 PM
You will have to return to the selling dealer for the brakes concerning wear, as that would not be covered under the CPO warranty.

MoodySumo
03-14-09, 09:34 PM
Yeah, Willy I talked to the dealer on the phone today and they said they don't think brakes are covered, The same day I buy it the rotors are shot and pads are bad. I'm trying to get answers from the dealer cause that car should have never left the lot with bad rotors and pads especially when it is Cadillac Certified Pre owned, how did that miss the inspection? I thought cars that CPO have to be up to specs to sell it.

What you guys think?? thanks

Daniel

mbnv992
03-14-09, 09:48 PM
I'll tell you what, if that was me, I'd be FUMING mad with the buying dealership. They should have inspected the car 100% before you drove home with it. That is unacceptable, and they should not only fix that problem for you, but also offer you something free as well (IE: one free oil change, free car wash, etc. etc.). I'd be pretty upset. Go back, face to face, talk with the dealer you bought the car from, and (talk to the service manager, or high up if you have to) tell them you JUST bought the car the other day, and noticed the brake pads, etc. etc. A good dealership will fix it ASAP no questions asked.
I wish you the best of luck, and please let us know what they do for you.

Mike

luciano23
03-14-09, 09:54 PM
out of curiousity how much was the extended warranty?

MoodySumo
03-14-09, 10:16 PM
out of curiousity how much was the extended warranty?

They threw it in for me cause I put a down payment on the car and when I went to pick it up they sold the car to someone else, so I gave them hell and got the Extended warranty at no charge from the dealer, I should have know from this that the dealership I was dealing with was NOT GOOD.

I'll let you guys know when I take it back on Monday

Daniel

MARKVIII
03-15-09, 12:53 PM
that was your major red flag...many years ago i ordered a mercury cougar and when it was built and shipped to the dealer he sold it before i could pick it up...needless to say i got my down payment back and went somewhere else and bought a buick riviera.

BaTu
03-15-09, 02:06 PM
I'm pretty sure there's a Long list of things that Have to be checked, and addressed, in order for the dealership to "Certify" a used car to be CPO (the tires have to have a certain amount of tread, it can't need Any service or existing repairs etc.) And that just has to include bad rotors.

I'd go to GM, Cadillac customer service, and ask them if this dealership should have certified your car in that condition and explain the whole story by telling them you thought the CPO actually meant something. I'm pretty sure the dealership went against policy to save themselves the cost of a repair THEY should have performed before issuing CPO. You should be able to take it to your local dealership because, obviously, those other guys are sleezbags ;)

There are also possible DMV issues. NO dealer licensing authority allows the sale of a car that's considered "UnSafe" and bad brakes are certainly a safety issue. You could make a call to them also to REALLY stir things up :D

mike sts
03-15-09, 07:16 PM
I would call cadillac customer service as well, get a copy of the certified pre owned checklist, i bet there is criteria for the brakes to have a certain MM. If the service manager does not help you ask to talk with the GM, Threaten to cx to BBB and consumer protection division in your state also threaten to post your experience online and to call a local TV station the bad publicity will easily cost them more than the brakes.

MoodySumo
03-16-09, 06:07 PM
Thanks guys for the replies, it looks like I'm going to have to go threw some legal steps here, I took the car to another GM Cadillac certified dealership and they did a inspection on the brakes and the rotors are shot and the pads have about 15 to 20 life left on them they said. So, I took it back to the dealership where I bought the car and explained all of this and they said that the checklist was signed off and everything was ok that the tech did inspect the car. They said it was not covered under warranty do to Wear and Tear, I looked at them and laughed, I put 15 miles on the car since I bought on Thursday what wear and tear I asked them. So, it looks like I'm filing a claim for small claims court. I'll let you guys know what happens, as I'm pretty Pissed about this whole thing. This dealership is awfulllll

AllWheelEric
03-16-09, 10:19 PM
... This dealership is awfulllll

Maybe it's time to name the dealer here.

mbnv992
03-17-09, 08:58 AM
Maybe it's time to name the dealer here.

X2 ! That has to be one of the worst dealerships I've herd of in a long time :banghead:. Well, good luck, and obviously the customer does NOT come first (or at all) at that particular dealership. How they manage to stay in business in the first place is beyond me.
Edit: Oh, and you should print out this thread, and hand it to the "owner" or, head manager at that dealership as well. Not that they will care, they will probably just throw it out anyway.

cnotesonly
03-24-09, 08:21 PM
I know they should fix it and you can probably win something in court but look at the time and trouble and possibly money you will waste in the meantime. If your lender won't cancel the deal for you then go to brakeperformance.com and order a set of front brake pads and dimple drilled, grooved rotors for $226.00. Add $10.00 to upgrade the pads to ceramic and for $250.00 you can have some quality stuff shipped to your door--shipping is free! I found a garage that put mine on in 45 minutes for $85. The dealership wanted to charge me $745+tax to put OEM's back on. You really do not want those morons touching your caddy after this, do you?

Regulator
03-29-09, 08:41 AM
I agree, either drive it like it is or get over it and spent the $200 for rotors and $100 for ceramic pads (that covers all 4 corners). I did all my pads yesterday and it took me an hour and a half with nothing more than a floor jack and some normal hand tools.

For the cost and risk of taking this through the court system is not worth it.

turnerbend
03-29-09, 12:06 PM
I know they should fix it and you can probably win something in court but look at the time and trouble and possibly money you will waste in the meantime. If your lender won't cancel the deal for you then go to brakeperformance.com and order a set of front brake pads and dimple drilled, grooved rotors for $226.00. Add $10.00 to upgrade the pads to ceramic and for $250.00 you can have some quality stuff shipped to your door--shipping is free! I found a garage that put mine on in 45 minutes for $85. The dealership wanted to charge me $745+tax to put OEM's back on. You really do not want those morons touching your caddy after this, do you?

That is the trouble with many dealership today. you don't want to call their hand. Remember they have some responsibility too. If they get by with this, they will try the same or worse on someone else. Call them to task.

MoodySumo
04-06-09, 03:41 PM
Well guys after I got the papers served to the dealership they called me and asked me to bring the car back and they will take car of it and also throw in some free oil changes, I acted like they were doing me a fav. and smiled and said thanks, a day later I picked up the car with new rotors and pads and was on my way home. I took the oil change tickets and threw them away as I will never go back there again...lol

ifmracin
04-07-09, 06:05 PM
Glad it worked out for you.

I'm still looking at those sexy slotted/drilled rotors for mine.....mmmm.

Aurora5000
04-08-09, 09:02 AM
Sometimes a Growl will work... rather than a bite...