: New STS Owner w/questions

OcalaSTS
03-13-09, 07:45 PM
Hello, I'm a new owner of a 2008 STS. Love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I do have a few questions. First, I bought the car used, in very good condition, 17K miles, it's the diamond pearl white color. The second day I had it I went to the local Cadillac dealer for help. This thing has all kinds of gadgets. I did notice the sales people I approached were very snobby. I guess cause I wasn't buying a car from them. The thing was beeping at me everytime I got out of it, seats moving all the time, ect. Anyway I figured all that out after reading the manual. The sales man that did help went over a few things and one of the things he mentions was the voltage reading. He said to monitor it once in awhile, as the voltage should be around 14. I noticed several times it reads
12.9. Is that bad? I would think with all the bells an whisles this thing has, it should tell you if the battery or voltage was low. Another is the deisel sound it makes when you excellerate. To me it sounds like a faint sound of a deisel motor. Outside the car you hear nothing. I even listened under an overpass, and bank drive through. It is very quiet. Inside I hear the noise. Is this normal? I thought it maybe spark knock. I have put three tanks of 91 & 93 octane in it and still here it. At curse, ther is no noise. Took it to the dealer and he says he hears nothing out of the ordinary. Sorry for having a long thread for my first post!!

AllGoNShow
03-13-09, 07:56 PM
Your voltage is reading correctly. The voltage regulator will control the amount of voltage you are seeing and the amoutn of voltage that is flowing through your electrical system.

It will jump between 12.8-14.4 on its own and it is nothing to be concerned with. When it hits 11's or 14-15-16, you have a problem and you need to take it in ASAP, until then, you will be fine :)

I hear the same noise in my car, when you figure it out let me know! Or when I figure it out I will let you know, drives me off the wall.

OcalaSTS
03-13-09, 08:02 PM
Well that makes me feel better! At least it's not me hearing things. Like I said, with the windows down, I hear nothing on the outside of the car. Been scrolling through some of the posts, man am I surprised of how much problems people have with the Cadillac. Thinking now I should of bought a BMW. She is still under warranty, so I'll hold on to it for a little while. Really nice riding car!! My other car is an 06 hemi Magnum. Does'nt make all that engine noise I hear in the Cadillac. But it does'nt ride as nice as the Caddy, for sure!!

WillySTS
03-13-09, 09:28 PM
Well that makes me feel better! At least it's not me hearing things. Like I said, with the windows down, I hear nothing on the outside of the car. Been scrolling through some of the posts, man am I surprised of how much problems people have with the Cadillac. Thinking now I should of bought a BMW. She is still under warranty, so I'll hold on to it for a little while. Really nice riding car!! My other car is an 06 hemi Magnum. Does'nt make all that engine noise I hear in the Cadillac. But it does'nt ride as nice as the Caddy, for sure!!

Yeah, that sounds pretty normal..but I think its what you don't hear that's the problem. Is your car a V8?...Just wondering. If it is, sounds like what you need is a little induction/exhaust noise.

I've worked in dealership service departments, first as a technician, then a service manager and now as a service writer for 39 yaers and ALL cars have problems. Some of my friends earn a quite respectable living fixing BMW's. our caddie is a very enjoyable car, enjoy it and don't worry about it so much. Let the warranty do it thing!

C&C
03-14-09, 08:26 AM
If you have the V-6 it might be the direct injection pump (unless really really loud, which it doesn't seem to be, it is normal). Also the variable, as has been mentioned earlier, charge voltage is normal; I have seem 15.2 high and 12.9 on the low side which again is normal. I believe the variable charge voltage reflecks on how much you battery requires to get to optimal charge.

OcalaSTS
03-14-09, 09:41 AM
I have the V-8 model. I was wondering if the noise my be coming from the exhaust. When I had it at the dealership, I stood outside next to the car when the service guy took it into the garage. I heard nothing from the outside. The car is very quiet.

turnerbend
03-14-09, 10:16 AM
If the voltage is staying around 12.9 most of the time, your battery is loosing a cell. When you first start it should read around 14 and after a quick charge it will drop down.
The dieseling sound could be a spark rattle and could be serious if it continue over a long period of time. Try buying a different brand of gas.

suumz
03-14-09, 11:38 AM
Is your STS all wheel drive? If it is there's a service bulletin (07-07-30-029B) that applies to 05-08 AWD's. The bulletin says it may fix a "rumble type noise on accereration". It has to do with re-positioning the trans. mount and trans. support which may be contacting each other on acceleration. Not sure if its the noise you're hearing but it may be somewhere to start. The bulletin requires no parts and I can get you the info needed to do it yourself, but given your year and mileage, I'd guess you'd still be in warranty.

AllWheelEric
03-15-09, 07:35 PM
You might consider changing your oil. Sure, the dealer told you it had been done. It's very easy for the dealer to lie about this topic.

hazcaddy
03-15-09, 08:00 PM
If the sound you're concerned about is like a chainsaw, when you stomp on the Loud Pedal: nothing to worry about. This is one of the few cars that has a timing chain, instead of a timing belt (or so I'm told) and that is why it sounds like that.

TimmyC
03-17-09, 10:55 PM
If the sound you're concerned about is like a chainsaw, when you stomp on the Loud Pedal: nothing to worry about. This is one of the few cars that has a timing chain, instead of a timing belt (or so I'm told) and that is why it sounds like that.

Lots of cars use timing chains, it's not that. My 99 didn't make this noise but my 06 does. It's annoying but I don't think there is anything wrong.

Greg00coupe
03-18-09, 12:50 PM
I would not be concerned about "all the problems" with Cadillacs you see here on the forum. After all that is what the majority of posts are.......... questions and problems. You find that in any product or consumer Forum.

So enjoy the ride and don't worry.

turnerbend
03-18-09, 09:53 PM
I would not be concerned about "all the problems" with Cadillacs you see here on the forum. After all that is what the majority of posts are.......... questions and problems. You find that in any product or consumer Forum.

So enjoy the ride and don't worry.

I beg to differ. Any time you have an unusual noise, knock, bump, squeak, or rattle on any car you got a problem. It may not be major now, but could lead to a costly repair if not attended to. Cadillac is not immune to problems by no means.

Greg00coupe
03-19-09, 12:45 PM
I beg to differ. Any time you have an unusual noise, knock, bump, squeak, or rattle on any car you got a problem. It may not be major now, but could lead to a costly repair if not attended to. Cadillac is not immune to problems by no means.

My response was to this gentlemans comment about the quality of Cadillac after reading all the posts here. He is obviously a new member and his impression is that because there are so many problem posts he feels he should have bought a BMW. My OPINION is in a Forum you will see posts regarding problems. For the majority of problem free happy owners few of them will make a post if all is OK. Not sure what noises you were refering to in this post because none are mentioned. I'll add you will see the same pattern in any FORUM. It's not unique to this one......

OcalaSTS
03-20-09, 07:25 PM
You are correct in your comment about Forums and the post you find there. As I mentioned earlier I also own an 06 Dodge Magnum. I visit the LX-Forums regularly. Made a lot of friends. What I like about these forums is how everyone shares their experiences, good or bad. They share knowledge. It's nice being able to go to the repair shop with an idea what is wrong or may be wrong. I love the new STS. Went on a freeway drive, about fifty miles up and then back. Car is so smooth, and peppy! The noise I mentioned, I did not hear on the freeway. The only way to discribe it is a sound you would hear next to a deisel truck. I hear it when I excellerate from a light. It makes the noise until it finishes shifting. After it is in 5th or 6th gear it does not make the noise. Also I stood outside while my wife left to go to the doctor and, outside the car, I hear nothing! I may record the sound with my camera and post it. My other car has the Hemi and they are known for the Hemi tick. At idle you can hear a faint ticking sound like the lifters clicking. Actually it is coming from the EGR valve. After a few guys on the Forums kept looking into the noise they finally came up with a solution to quiet it down.

OcalaSTS
03-20-09, 07:29 PM
How many valves are in a Northstar V-8. 32? Could it be valve noise? I test drove an 08 Buick Lacerne with the same motor! It had the same noise, but not near as loud.

Onalaska
03-22-09, 10:27 PM
Engines make noise, particularly at WOT! There is a huge amount of stuff going on in a DOHC 32 valve engine at redline that you will not hear in a OHV engine. Personally I like it and hear it often when driving mine.

Orie
03-23-09, 05:40 PM
I hear the same sound in my 2006 STS. I attributed it to the exhaust system. :hmm:

cnotesonly
03-24-09, 07:59 PM
I took off the stock mufflers and put on Magnaflow 6" ROUND RACE SERIES 14" in length. That noise you are talking about is gone. I am also concerned that there is just one resonator that both pipes feed in to. I have thought to separate the pipes into their own resonators but for now I am happy with the sound. I do have an issue with the wind coming off the side mirrors and hitting the driver's glass. It is very annoying at 65mph especially, when the reviews for the 2005 STS V8 claims that they were designed and tested in a wind tunnel. Anyone else hear the wind hit the glass?

AllGoNShow
03-24-09, 08:06 PM
Is yours a V6 or V8?

Yes I noticed the wind noise on the mirror as well. I have put on weathertech rain guards for the windows but haven't paid any attention since. I will update you as to if they helped out any.