: Got the muffler delete done... AND I LOVE IT!!! And way to keepbrake dust off wheels

yamablaster024
03-13-09, 01:40 PM
Well I was a little apprehensive to go take my V to the local Exhaust Shop and have them just saw off the exhaust system and replace it with straight pipe, and since there were no decent videos of it done, I waited a while before i pulled the trigger. Well yesterday after having a girl call my car "cute" it was kind of the last straw so I called up Action Muffler and had them do the work. It ended up costing me 100 dollars for everything, And when my brother dropped the car off to me at work I was in love. The initial start-up now consists of that beautiful deep pitched rumble that every muscle car should possess. Overall the Cabin noise now is not much greater than what it used to be back when I had muffler's. There is a sort of drone I guess you could call in the lower RPM's, but by no way is it annoying or overly loud, kind of just a freindly reminder that in the back of your head that you are actually driving a 400 horsepower powerhouse on wheels. Now outside of the car, the car is much louder between idle and 2500 rpm, and has a very smooth deep sound to it all the way up to redline, which honestly sounds better than 3/4 of the ls1's (Ive had about 15 of them, all with different exhaust combinations) that I have owned. While its not overly loud, it still lets the passer-bys know that this is in fact a muscle car, not Grandma Butler's Grocery Getter. Sorry for the excessive writing, I was just excited!!!!

As for the brake dust issue, I recently recieved a gift from my girlfriend that consisted of a package of turtle wax cleaners. Inside was a cleaner called "rim cleaner" in an orange botle. It is made byturtle wax obviously and is a foaming cleaner that you wash off with a hose. BUT DONT GET IT ON YOUR HANDS IT WILL BURN! And i found that out the hard way. I will get pictures, but my wheels had about a month or twos worth of brake dust on them that would not come off easy. So i tried out this stuff and holycrap! the brake dust pretty much just came off! I took a micro-fiber rag and rubber it in and now the wheels look like the day they were new. It even cleaned the calipers, got rust off of the rotors, and got pretty much the entire inner part of the wheel clean. And did NOT hurt the paint. AWESOME STUFF!!

Tomahawk103
03-13-09, 01:48 PM
I would love to hear a sound clip or a video

LUVMY04V
03-13-09, 01:53 PM
By far the best bang for buck mod you can do to fall in love with your V :thumbsup:

CadiBlk
03-13-09, 01:56 PM
I use Simple Green on my rims, cheap and available at every grocery, but your Turtle stuff sounds like it works for you. I also never let my wheels go 2 months without cleaning them, so the dust isn't that bad to get off in the first place.

On another note, I wouldn't be cleaning the rotors. There is a film (might not be the best technical term) on them that helps with the pad's braking power. (Other more knowledgeable members be sure to correct me on this)

Sounds like your exhaust solution works well for you. Muffler delete is a definitely the cheapest way to get some good sound out of our already good stock exhaust.

Enjoy your ride and as always, get some pictures/video of your finished product.

wgbanks
03-13-09, 02:20 PM
Congrats. I did the same muffler delete and agree it is the best bang for the buck.

PISNUOFF
03-13-09, 03:08 PM
On another note, I wouldn't be cleaning the rotors. There is a film (might not be the best technical term) on them that helps with the pad's braking power. (Other more knowledgeable members be sure to correct me on this)

You're talking about bedding in your rotors and pads. This is when the pad material impregnates the rotor. I don't think the cleaners will have much of an effect on it.

yamablaster024
03-13-09, 07:44 PM
I was just sharing about the cleaner, because the inner brake dust that hd accumalated on the inside of the wheel has been there since before I bought the car, and it literally came off with no scrubbing, just a pass of the rag. Simple green i know for a fact would not do this without excessive scrubbing

CadzillaTN
03-13-09, 07:58 PM
nice. this is sounds like a no brainer until I decide to break off the cash for a catback....or maybe I never will?....hmmmmmmm...you could always have the muffs welded back in. I've realized people are either assuming the sound is not coming from my car on a flyby or it just isn't that loud?.... Ive never been passed by a V at 6000 RPM so I wouldn't know.

clip! clip!

thanks for the tip on the wheel stuff. Most of them suck.

03blwn281
03-13-09, 09:55 PM
Glad your happy MATT!!!..Now I wait for a ride......

thebigjimsho
03-15-09, 01:22 AM
Griots Garage wheel cleaner is the bets I've ever used. It won't burn your hands and it's very safe for all wheels. And it cuts through everything! black wheels after a track day, dirt on the calipers, brake fluid that you dripped when bleeding at the track.

best ever!

rdjiv
03-15-09, 01:42 AM
i found the easiest way to clean the wheels is to remove them and just spray 'em down with a hose. track brake dust rubbed right off with a rubber glove and a constant stream of water.

calipers are still dirty though...

Vee
03-15-09, 03:14 AM
My mufflers got sawed off a few weeks back....I love it!

thebigjimsho
03-15-09, 03:49 AM
interesting...

UnsafeAtAnySpd
03-15-09, 09:10 AM
No mufflers? Who needs exhaust at all? Day before yesterday I drove my car around a bit with nothing but headers and cats. That was fun. :)

V for Vendetta
03-15-09, 12:35 PM
Man, that's awesome!

I actually have this scheduled for tomorrow and I was pretty apprehensive-my thought was if it added too much reverb inside, I could just have the mufflers welded back on.

I'm even more excited about it now after reading your post.

I'll be sure to take pictures of it and post a youtube clip some time next week.

WooHOO.... tomorrows gonna be like Christmas for me! :p

thebigjimsho
03-15-09, 06:55 PM
I think you'd get pulled over mighty fast if you drove around with only the headers and cats...I drove it once like that. For 1 mile. wow.

52many
03-16-09, 12:34 AM
I was just sharing about the cleaner, because the inner brake dust that hd accumalated on the inside of the wheel has been there since before I bought the car, and it literally came off with no scrubbing, just a pass of the rag. Simple green i know for a fact would not do this without excessive scrubbing

Simple green worked perfectly on some really dirty wheels that sat for several months and didn't harm the surface. Used water and a mother's polishing ball (slow speed).

thebigjimsho
03-16-09, 05:09 PM
Polishing balls?

ccextra1976
03-16-09, 06:08 PM
you mean you dont?

CadzillaTN
03-16-09, 09:14 PM
:food-snacking:

where is the clip and are there any pics?

if they already exist torch me cause I have not searched. :suspect:

thebigjimsho
03-16-09, 10:59 PM
:food-snacking:

where is the clip and are there any pics?

if they already exist torch me cause I have not searched. :suspect:
you want pics of me polishing balls?

K STS
05-20-09, 09:44 PM
id like to see/head an exhaust clip.

verywhitedevil
05-20-09, 11:49 PM
CMAX pads from AutoZone. Lifetime Warranty and eliminated brake dust 95%. I know other members running them. Work excellent and only 60.00. I have had zero issues. My brembo pads would not shut up and they were brand new.

SkullV
05-20-09, 11:57 PM
CMAX pads from AutoZone. Lifetime Warranty and eliminated brake dust 95%. I know other members running them. Work excellent and only 60.00. I have had zero issues. My brembo pads would not shut up and they were brand new.

Do those stop alright compared to the stock pads? I would love to have some completely quiet low dusting pads. Even the HPS I have now still dust too much for me!

shadybx7
05-20-09, 11:59 PM
814 has a video of the same set up some where.. sounds bad ass

814V
05-21-09, 02:50 AM
814 has a video of the same set up some where.. sounds bad ass

:werd:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QBnRx-4ydY&feature=channel_page

verywhitedevil
05-21-09, 07:44 AM
Do those stop alright compared to the stock pads? I would love to have some completely quiet low dusting pads. Even the HPS I have now still dust too much for me!

They stop great!! Equal or better than before. Quiet and very low dust. I have had them on a week and you can't even tell the wheel has any dust on it, at all. Very pleased. Going to do the rears, now.

Wicked_V
05-21-09, 01:24 PM
They stop great!! Equal or better than before. Quiet and very low dust. I have had them on a week and you can't even tell the wheel has any dust on it, at all. Very pleased. Going to do the rears, now.

I'd love to cut the mufflers off my V (Love that sound) but I called a few places here in Dallas and they said they would not pass me if I removed them... :nono:

I also went ahead and got the CMAX pads from AutoZone as I needed them pronto and didn't have time to wait for the Hawk HP+'s to ship. (My rotors started crying... ) Overall, I'd say they are pretty good. I personally preferred the initial bite that the Brembo's had but they do dust a lot less and that dust seems to be a lighter color (less noticeable) dust at that. Overall, for a non-track pad (Just an assumption, they might be fine), I like them.

uwood
05-21-09, 01:49 PM
What about the pain in the ass in the way when you do the shifter X-pipe resonator. Is there a cure to remove that and the mufflers?

chris2002wb
05-21-09, 08:40 PM
I have to say ,,I had my muffles cut off about a month ago, everything else is stock on the exhaust,,,I am MORE than pleased,,,and everyones right,, makes the V a head turner when you go by, not too loud,,but loud enough. Ive even been stopped twice by people wanting to know what was under the hood because it sounded so good. Obviously they werent "V" people!! LoL

CadzillaTN
05-21-09, 09:27 PM
I've been torn between cutting the mufflers and dmh low pro cutouts.......almost did it the other day since it was so cheap

cutouts are $4-500 installed, the other is $50 and reversible for another $50.

Opinions vary on how loud it will be.. some say quiet, some say it would be very loud...the clips sound really good but don't give a good indicator of how it sounds in person..im sure it is nice, but I dont want the full time sound if it's too loud in the cabin...

cutouts would be fully adjustible, and you could mount them further up the pipe. I dont plan to go too far up due to some saying it rattles things too much..

I had a mustang with magnaflows, and I dont want it that loud (right now)

Roadmax
05-21-09, 11:50 PM
I didnt saw off the mufflers, but i did add Magnaflow system, and wow it was like christmas in May, I did it myself and it took 45 minutes....and it sounds awesome, as well as cold air intake by k&N....another 45 minute job, but hey what ever it takes. IF your looking for a bored out throttle body Check it out on Ebay, the one for $89 is the best one in my opinion. I may post picts of my ride after i get the chrome wheels, hope to have em done by weekend, (Memorial day)

mpunklil
05-22-09, 03:00 AM
Im running stock manifolds, stock cats, and the first set of B&B resonators temporarily. i love it too much to not stick w/ it, so im going to tone it down a big because it really is loud as fawk and put the second set of resonators on...then straight pipe baby

mgscustomtune
05-22-09, 12:11 PM
Any one needs mufflers made up to look like there is a muffler there when there is nothing just a pipe passing straight threw email me. Just in case the cops get under the car and look up here in they are sticky

mpunklil
05-22-09, 12:41 PM
Any one needs mufflers made up to look like there is a muffler there when there is nothing just a pipe passing straight threw email me. Just in case the cops get under the car and look up here in they are sticky

how much you askin? :)

Natedog
05-22-09, 01:52 PM
I think you'd get pulled over mighty fast if you drove around with only the headers and cats...I drove it once like that. For 1 mile. wow.
My cutouts are exactly this since they are right after the cats... i drive like this 90% of the time and never had issues with cops because i jus close em real quick ;) takes less than 2 seconds

CTS-V ChemE
10-16-09, 08:24 AM
What's everybody welding back in for tips?

Cobrahunter
10-16-09, 10:05 AM
What's everybody welding back in for tips?

+1.

And about how much weight would the v lose if you delete the mufflers and cats?

SuperVeee
10-19-09, 11:40 AM
Hell you can keep your stock tips and stock mufflers - just gut them to get the sound if that is all you want. Here is the $5 fix to pull out the fiberglass:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2004-2007-cadillac-cts-v-general/62428-ww-give-us-details-your-muffler.html

V-Eight
10-29-09, 11:48 AM
Sounds great!

Sublime69
10-29-09, 12:53 PM
:werd:

YouTube - exhaust (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QBnRx-4ydY&feature=channel_page)

What tips did you have on your car?

CancerJCC
10-31-09, 06:04 PM
Did this the other day and love it as well! Had them weld in some 4" tips and it really fills out the bumper cut out well.

Overd0s3
01-22-10, 08:17 PM
ok how about long tube headers with no mufflers? any input? does it roar really loud or is it still managable? can you hear the music?

Roidz24
01-24-10, 03:13 AM
^^ yeah that. I have b&b x-pipe, muffler delete and will be adding b&b headers without (most likely) cats in April or so. I don't really care if I can hear music though. I want it loud as fawk and it's already real loud without headers installed yet.

thebigjimsho
01-24-10, 03:31 AM
dear lord

Baltimore07V
01-24-10, 09:17 AM
^^ yeah that. I have b&b x-pipe, muffler delete and will be adding b&b headers without (most likely) cats in April or so. I don't really care if I can hear music though. I want it loud as fawk and it's already real loud without headers installed yet.

Get an OSHA sticker from your bumper that indicates that people should wear hearing protection when driving behind you. (Might be our version of a ricer, but you won't be able to hear them complain.)