: Is it worth it?

Raven05
07-06-04, 03:12 PM
I currently drive a Z rated ’96 STS with 26K miles on it. It gives me 26+ MPG on the highway at a steady 75 MPH and will do around 155 MPH when asked to. The car is clean and, other than normal maintenance, has required almost no servicing.

Five weeks ago I decided to trade it in on a Black/Black ’05 CTS-V, which has been “in transit” from the factory for a week now. It seemed like a good idea to go from a 300HP N* to 400HP LS6, F to RWD, an auto to a 6sp, and a smaller better handling car.

Since then, I’ve read here about Vs having: leaking diffs, broken diffs, whining diffs, high oil consumption, 6spd won’t go into gear, 6spd jumps out of gear, dyno nowhere near 400HP, false trans overheating, wheel hop, oil loaded with metal shavings, an XM radio that sounds like c**p, batteries and electrical systems that fail, clunking drive lines, poor gas mileage, false 0-60 and quarter mile claims, etc.

My question : Is owning/driving a V really worth putting up with all this c**p. :hmm:

wildwhl
07-06-04, 03:38 PM
I currently drive a Z rated ’96 STS with 26K miles on it. It gives me 26+ MPG on the highway at a steady 75 MPH and will do around 155 MPH when asked to. The car is clean and, other than normal maintenance, has required almost no servicing.

Five weeks ago I decided to trade it in on a Black/Black ’05 CTS-V, which has been “in transit” from the factory for a week now. It seemed like a good idea to go from a 300HP N* to 400HP LS6, F to RWD, an auto to a 6sp, and a smaller better handling car.

Since then, I’ve read here about Vs having: leaking diffs, broken diffs, whining diffs, high oil consumption, 6spd won’t go into gear, 6spd jumps out of gear, dyno nowhere near 400HP, false trans overheating, wheel hop, oil loaded with metal shavings, an XM radio that sounds like c**p, batteries and electrical systems that fail, clunking drive lines, poor gas mileage, false 0-60 and quarter mile claims, etc.

My question : Is owning/driving a V really worth putting up with all this c**p. :hmm:

You have undoubtedly read some of those issues from my posts and my V experience.

I'll sum it up for you.

YES :bouncy:

CadV
07-06-04, 03:52 PM

My question : Is owning/driving a V really worth putting up with all this c**p. :hmm: "leaking diffs, broken diffs, whining diffs, high oil consumption, 6spd won’t go into gear, 6spd jumps out of gear"

I have a 2005 and my car has not experienced any of this yet.

"dyno nowhere near 400HP"

There are two proven restrictions that are on the V's air intake and exhaust.

With the purchase of the MorePerformance Cold Air Kit (20rwhp) and an x-pipe (18-20rwhp) you should be 350-370rwhp which is in range of the 400hp claims. These numbers are dynojet proven.

"false trans overheating"

Haven't seen this.

"wheel hop"

Doesn't the FG2 package take care of this?

"oil loaded with metal shavings"

Changed my oil at 600 miles and I did not have any noticable shavings.

"an XM radio that sounds like c**p"

Never had XM radio before so I don't have any comparisons.

"batteries and electrical systems that fail, clunking drive lines"

Haven't experienced this yet.

"poor gas mileage"

This weekend my V got 22mpg (150 miles) going to my moms house. The car has 1200 miles on it total.
17 in town, 22 highway are my averages.

I would not compare your 05 with an 04 they will not be the same. As soon as you get in the car you will forget about your STS trust me.

DgtalPimp
07-06-04, 03:55 PM
"wheel hop"

Doesn't the FG2 package take care of this?

No.

FG2 does help, it does not fix.

Dgtal (dgtalpimp@pimpdaddy.com)

ctsvett
07-06-04, 04:06 PM
What you are hearing is everyone talking about the problems thay are having. These are just indications of what may happen. I have a few minor isseus, but because I love driving this car so much, I have not even brought it into the dealer for service yet!

My advice is get it and you will not be dissappointed! EVERY CAR has issues but that is why there is a warranty.

Reed
http://www.cadillacfaq.com

Brett
07-06-04, 04:11 PM
always remember nobody comes to a website to say, "just checking in, everythings fine" other than our regulars, most people come here to solve a problem and so it seems like everyone has a problem

TNT V
07-06-04, 04:22 PM
Haven't encountered any of these problems that affect my enjoyment of the car. The fun-factor is definitely high on this car. Remember...on any car forum it is way easier to write about what's wrong than what's right.

Trilio
07-06-04, 05:00 PM
Try it, you will like it.... Seriously, this is BY FAR the best American sedan ever. Some problems - yes but none that would discourage me from buying it again. Plus some of these issues have already been put to rest. If you want a drag racer, [which I think is where most of the complaints come from] make sure you order the FG2 package and remember you are putting serious power to the ground and if you beat it it can break. Drag racing is NOT what a car like this is all about. If you want a truly great road car, that gets unbelievable economy for what it is, has looks that get constant attention, and is the best bargain around, buy it. Read all of the testimonies and I think you will see a definite possitive pattern. Other wise wait til more cars are out there and more of the issues are addressed.

Cal
07-06-04, 05:14 PM
Absolutely. Caddy has a great warranty. It's a first year car, hell the Z06 still has plenty of problems for as long as it's been around by comparison. Ditto the M3 (rattling cabrio? ugh!) and the M5 and any other car with a lot of performance and luxury. It's a tough mix, but Caddy has done a bang-up job for the price and power in the V.

Raven05
07-06-04, 06:24 PM
Thanks to all who replied, I'm feeling better about this already. I guess the waiting is starting to get to me and nobody seems to know anything about where my car is. :banghead: It's getting pretty frustrating.

When I get the car, I'll post back here with my thoughts on it.

07-06-04, 06:33 PM
I love my car, and wouldn't trade if for the world. I have 4 years or 50K worth of free repair, the dealer will give me a new DeVille to drive while they fix anything on the V. A couple of days driving a DeVille will just enhance your appreciation of the V.

There is no downside risk, only upside. Concerned about depreciation? Then buy a 3 year old Camry or <insert your favorite boring reliability machine here>, and invest the difference in US savings bonds. Otherwise, I can't think of a better way to spend my car budget than on a CTSV.

Relax, wait for your car, and have fun when it gets here. If you are unhappy with it then you will be in a very small minority. You can always sell it if you hate it.

Note to the gentleman who said that the 05 is different than the 04: I thought the only difference was in the color options, the antennae, and the gas guzzler tax (FG2 was available in late '04 models). Is this not the case?

doug

miscreant
07-06-04, 06:37 PM
Thanks to all who replied, I'm feeling better about this already. I guess the waiting is starting to get to me and nobody seems to know anything about where my car is. :banghead: It's getting pretty frustrating.

When I get the car, I'll post back here with my thoughts on it.
1) I bet if you went over to the 1996 Seville section, you could compile a list a mile long of problems, but hasn't your's been great? See the point :rolleyes: ...

2) Email me your order number (6 digit alphanumeric) and I'll see what I can find out for you.

Also, "Dyno nowhere near 400hp" - I don't think anyone's flywheel dyno'd this engine yet. But the rwhp numbers are *close*, just not where they *should* be. We're seeing about 20% drivetrain drain, where you'd expect to see 15%...

CadV
07-06-04, 06:40 PM
I love my car, and wouldn't trade if for the world. I have 4 years or 50K worth of free repair, the dealer will give me a new DeVille to drive while they fix anything on the V. A couple of days driving a DeVille will just enhance your appreciation of the V.

There is no downside risk, only upside. Concerned about depreciation? Then buy a 3 year old Camry or <insert your favorite boring reliability machine here>, and invest the difference in US savings bonds. Otherwise, I can't think of a better way to spend my car budget than on a CTSV.

Relax, wait for your car, and have fun when it gets here. If you are unhappy with it then you will be in a very small minority. You can always sell it if you hate it.

Note to the gentleman who said that the 05 is different than the 04: I thought the only difference was in the color options, the antennae, and the gas guzzler tax (FG2 was available in late '04 models). Is this not the case?

doug
Known issues in one year are often addressed in the following is all I meant by that.

globed70
07-06-04, 07:26 PM
By all means, get the V! We come to this place to bitch about our problems, hoping that everyone else has the same issues so we can feel better. Many owners aren't even interested in going online unless they've got a problem. So out of the thousands of Vs delivered to date, you are hearing the ramblings of a few... and likely those that are most into their cars.

The fact that they've married known (and perhaps proven) components (chassis, engine, transmission) together should give you some confidence. Yes, there are some teething issues. No, the car is not a piece of crap with nothing but problems. I've got 3500 aggressively driven miles, with the only problem being the known issue of false oil temp readings. Wheel hop is an issue for drag launches and full throttle shifts... so you need to make up your OWN mind on that. The engine dyno results are a bit disappointing in that 15-20hp seems to have been used up by the car fairy (in all likelyhood GM underestimating the effects of a quiet intake and exhaust).

But... $50k will get you an sport sedan on par with the last BMW M5. And don't think that other high performance cars don't have problems... feel free to peruse the forums for M5, AMG E55, and others. I hope you enjoy the V.

Z06CTSV
07-06-04, 07:27 PM
Like any Forum (Corvette, M3, F-bodies, Porsche, Etc.) your going to here all the problems, on a national scale. I can gurantee that their are alot more happy V owners like myself, that love the car. Yes, some V's may have problems, but so does any high performance car. Be it Porsche, BMW, Benz, they all have gripes. Hang in their, it will be worth it.

Joe
New Orleans

DgtalPimp
07-06-04, 07:33 PM
The simple answer to your question is yes.

I have not had all the items listed go wrong, but I have had some high engine temp (waiting for reflash), HP difference(I need to run on diff dyno to verfiy), and lets not forget our friend the wheel hop.

Ask me a different question, knowing what you know now, would you do it again, for the same money and same results. YES I WOULD!

But that is just me (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/member.php?find=lastposter&t=16411).

GNSCOTT
07-06-04, 09:24 PM
I've got 5k hard miles on my 04 and that is even with my wife learning how to drive a stick with it. It is now her daily driver and running great. My next car is an 06 V. (if it has 475+hp)

07-06-04, 10:12 PM
Known issues in one year are often addressed in the following is all I meant by that.
yes, agreed. I misread the previous.

I wish there was a way that we could REALLY find out what issues they tried to address in the 2005's, and how (hello, General, are you listening?!)

Cheers.

Doug

b4z
07-07-04, 11:35 AM
Raven05,

You might be happier in a '05 STS in either V6 or V8 trim.

Z06CADY
07-07-04, 11:21 PM
This car is a gas! It doesn't matter what kind of mood I'm in, once I'm down the road a bit, all is gooooood.

BeelzeBob
07-07-04, 11:48 PM

This forum is just like the RWD Northstar forums. Everybody that has a bitch looks up the forum to vent. Everyone else is out happily driving their cars. This represents a very small minority of owners, trust me.

Get the V...you will love it and be very surprised by it.

Whining diffs....whining people. People that got so used to silent FRW cars without hypoid rear end gears that they forgot that they all whine. Some more than others but they ALL whine. This is one of the dark sides to having a rear wheel drive car. It has to have a driveshaft (hence driveline vibrations and U-joints to dry out and get replaced) and a rear axle with a hypoid gear (to whine to some degree or another). Get used to it. It is part of the RWD experience that "enthusiates" forgot about...LOL.

I have put many hard miles on several CTS-V's, seen them flogged endlessly on the track and seen none of the perported "failures."

There is little or no warranty history on "metal in oil filters" which almost always ends up being an engine replacement. Unless someone is confusing the normal breakin debris in the filter for something really wrong then that particular item would be the least of my worries.

I have launched V's pretty darned hard and power shifted them mercilessly and the rear end didn't fall out and you can launch it without wheel hop. If you are looking for a drag car there might be better choices but in terms of an all round sedan you are not going to get any better. Who buys a car with an independent rear for a drag car anyway.??

Never heard of "false trans overheating". Maybe the problem with the cluster glitch on some of the early cars that caused the oil temp warning to go off...??? Easily corrected on existing cars. Call Mallet and talk to Dave. He has the wiring change necessary to correct the grounding issue. The problem is corrected in production anyway long before your car was built so forget about it. A factory reflash is in the pipeline for the cars that are out there for a simple fix.

The "low power" idea is BS. The engine makes the power. Period. Read the thread on the idea of a "class action" for low power.

The cars that I have driven had great sounding radios, the XFM worked fine, the Nav systems worked fine and the V's had the best sound system in the world...that Z06 engine. Who needs a radio.

Let me know if this steered you wrong.

wildwhl
07-08-04, 12:59 AM
I have put many hard miles on several CTS-V's, seen them flogged endlessly on the track and seen none of the perported "failures."

There is little or no warranty history on "metal in oil filters" which almost always ends up being an engine replacement. Unless someone is confusing the normal breakin debris in the filter for something really wrong then that particular item would be the least of my worries.

I have launched V's pretty darned hard and power shifted them mercilessly and the rear end didn't fall out and you can launch it without wheel hop. If you are looking for a drag car there might be better choices but in terms of an all round sedan you are not going to get any better. Who buys a car with an independent rear for a drag car anyway.

I want your job, aka - how are you so lucky to drive so many V's?

Also, my rearend did fail, and I would still buy the car again. A great ride!

Cal
07-08-04, 02:37 AM
I agree, take the boards with a grain of salt. People will never be totally happy with a car, that's why they keep making changes. In terms of sheer excitement/enjoyment for your hard-earned $, I think the V cannot be beat. :cool:

Raven05
07-09-04, 08:59 PM
To answer my own question:

Yes! It's definitely worth it.

Just got home from the dealer with my V a few minutes ago and the 8 mile trip was enough to convice me I did the right thing. It had 2 miles on it when I picked it up. I can't believe the handling etc. It feels like I could turn it around inside my 2˝ car garage. I even got my first Wow! from a group of teenagers who just froze and stared as I came by. ( Usually they skate board in front of your car and screw with you for a while. )

I won't bother to post any V pictures, we've probably all seen enough B/B sunroof 2005's. ( I'll wait till I get the flames painted on the sides. :bouncy: )

Good thing I've got pictures of my STS, I'm starting to forget all about it already.

Thanks again to all who replied and convinced me to "Hang in there" I'm glad I did.

07-09-04, 09:55 PM
congratulations. Now let's hear a wheel hop report at the 8 mile mark!

Does anybody have a good photo of the new antenna?

Doug

lasstss
07-09-04, 11:54 PM
I agree with all of your comments except the XM radio. I dont care if its digital. Its flat and has the lowest fidelity of the 4 modes, dvd,cd,fm,xm. The stereo in the V is mediocre at best. For 50k it could at least had a stereo with some chops.!
As far as the driving experiance, none better, IMO.

Cal
07-10-04, 02:28 AM
I agree with all of your comments except the XM radio. I dont care if its digital. Its flat and has the lowest fidelity of the 4 modes, dvd,cd,fm,xm. The stereo in the V is mediocre at best. For 50k it could at least had a stereo with some chops.!
Do your stereo modifications fix the flatness of XM or is it their signal? Also maybe the new gen 6 onstar or whatever has better reception?

Raven: did you get FG2?

Raven05
07-10-04, 10:53 AM
No, I didn't get the FG2 package. Figured I'd wait until all this "wheel hop" stuff gets sorted out and someone tries something that really works.

globed70
07-10-04, 02:02 PM

If it makes you feel any better, the stereo in my M5 was noticeably shittier. :D

thebigjimsho
07-10-04, 07:15 PM
I'll say I was also a tad bit disappointed with the stereo, but it's good enough where I won't touch it for at least a year or so. I thought it was suppose to have more punch, according to CarandDriver. But while I trust them implicitly when it comes to driving cars, I don't trust them for squat now when it comes to stereos.

All they ever do is bitch about small buttons on radios. If it means tailoring the sound exactly as you need it, the more buttons, the merrier. And now the assessment that the V has a stereo with stones?

Although, I guess that's the one thing about my Accord I traded in for the V did have better. The $4000 stereo that I got nothing for in trade-in was quite a performer.

BTW, I've found that Sirius has a much better sound, much fuller. I have Sirius installed in my Town Car and it sounds better as it is. Nevermind that I have an added on tuner that has to run through an FM modulator! It will be like satellite TV. XM has the better market and brand recognition. Sirius has better programming and technology. Eventually, it will all be 1.

Katndnvr
07-10-04, 07:20 PM
Hell Yes! Is my answer to "Is it worth it?"
No problems so far... I love it!
Very safe and fun car, life changing for sure! All the men I know are jealous:lildevil:
Although since both hands are busy
I wish it had voice commands and I am struggling to get over it.

baf_ctsv
07-10-04, 08:09 PM
You have to be prepared for a few glitches in a first year Hi performance vehicle. It seems there are plenty of them in all the German and Japanese offerings. I would have prefered my diff not leak at 1200 miles but then again when the trans in the Audi died badly at 3200 miles I was less than thrilled.
There are clunks and hops and creaks and cheapness in materials .. However the real beauty of this car is its freshness, wonderfull handling , braking and accelerating!! It is a driver not a lazy cruiser. So be warned but not pushed away...

lasstss
07-11-04, 11:15 AM
[QUOTE=Cal]Do your stereo modifications fix the flatness of XM or is it their signal? Also maybe the new gen 6 onstar or whatever has better reception?

Strangely, the single sub replacement did wonders for the audio. The XM was only slightly better. There is probably no signal bandwidth on the low end to boost.

CAR Motorsports
07-14-04, 01:24 PM
We noticed quite a bit of talk about the possibility of metal particles within the CTS-V oil system. The appearance of small metal particles in the oil of any vehicle is always a reality. This fact is why we recommend without reservation the use of our FilterMag Product. Employ this product as soon as possible and dramatically reduce the wear of bearings and other critical engine components. You may read up on the Revolutionary FilterMag by visiting our website at www.carmotorsports.com (http://www.carmotorsports.com)

With the FilterMag on your oil filter....change your oil at the regular interval and when removing the oil filter, leave the FilterMag in place and cut open the oil filter to see what the FilterMag has held firmly to the inside of your oil filter and away from your engine. You will be amazed.

The direct link is:
http://www.carmotorsports.com/FilterMAG.htm

So....when you order your Custom Embroidered CTS-V Floor Mats and Trunk Mat.....you can also improve your engine life and long term performance by ordering the FilterMag.

Our Toll Free Number is:
1-877-FOR-CARZ
1-877-367-2279

Rich

StealthV
07-14-04, 01:34 PM
Talk about a thread hijack.... :drinker

DgtalPimp
07-14-04, 01:57 PM
Don't move son, there is a hijacking in progress....