: Federal Tire SS595 - anyone running those ?

Retep
03-12-09, 06:38 PM
Was looking around to get some new rubber for the summer. Unlike in the USA Tires here in Canada are much more expensive. . . :hmm:
I found a tire called " Federal Tire" - did some research and ordered a set of 255/55/18 - Model SS595.
CAD $ 565 Tax in.
I know I am cheap:cool2:
They look good though. .

http://www.federaltire.com/en/html/pdetail.php?DB=motosports&pdline=1&ID=1

Anyone here running those ?

Klei14
03-12-09, 08:16 PM
They look cool, but I have never seen them before. You can't just order tires from tire rack? What is it a special tax?

c5 rv
03-12-09, 08:29 PM
It looks like it's a Chinese tire company, based in Taiwan but the tires are probably made on the mainland. I'll stick with Michelin, thank you.

Retep
05-01-09, 11:47 AM
. . . I'll stick with Michelin, thank you.

OK - got those tires now for about 1000 miles.
The good news : Great in the rain, sticky in the twisties, cool looking.. .:)
The bad news : . :crybaby:Those tires are very very noisy - gives driver and passengers instant headaches. Need to take one Tylenol every 50 miles.:bigroll: My Winter tires (Scorpion ) are very quiet compared to the Federals.

In hindsight I should have stuck with Michelins also

GMJim
05-01-09, 12:13 PM
I'll stick with Michelin, thank you.

me 2

jwoodie
05-04-09, 01:24 PM
Anybody running GY ResponsEdge tires? They seem to be the best alternative to the Michelins, look good & have more sidewall protection for the wheels...

jfaz
05-04-09, 05:49 PM
[QUOTE=jwoodie;1866629]Anybody running GY ResponsEdge tires?QUOTE]
I have had 'em on since November and love the performance, especially in any precipitation including snow over the Pilots which I replaced at 37K. I kept original AWD sizing, so we will see how they wear without rotation.

louisn
05-04-09, 06:12 PM
I'm going with Kumhos--1/2 the price of Michs and good reviews on TireRack.. $600 for 18" V8 AWD mounted, balanced, and taxes at a local place.
All my tires lose something after 15,000 mile anyway. Just not as smooth or as quiet. Everytime I replace Michs the replacements seem better and are much cheaper.

05awdupstater
05-05-09, 10:01 AM
In regards to the GY ResponseEdge; I was running them. Ran them 23,000 miles til the center tread patch was 2/32 and the outer ribs were 7/32. GY gave me an adjustment and told me that that tire was the wrong application for my vehicle. I had the Fortera Tripltread installed. Awesome in the snow and rain. Seems to be wearing much better after 12,000 miles. Offically comes with a treadwear warranty from GY (ResponseEdge does not). I went without the V speed rating on my V6 AWD model. Pricey tire (even with a generous GY credit) but so far so good.

conedoctor
05-05-09, 12:09 PM
I too would stay away from the Chinese tires.

I have Continental Summer and Kumho winter tires, very happy.

Kumho is such a great value, they are great tires.

jwoodie
05-06-09, 09:53 PM
In regards to the GY ResponseEdge; I was running them. Ran them 23,000 miles til the center tread patch was 2/32 and the outer ribs were 7/32. GY gave me an adjustment and told me that that tire was the wrong application for my vehicle. I had the Fortera Tripltread installed. Awesome in the snow and rain. Seems to be wearing much better after 12,000 miles. Offically comes with a treadwear warranty from GY (ResponseEdge does not). I went without the V speed rating on my V6 AWD model. Pricey tire (even with a generous GY credit) but so far so good.

Thanks for the info. Were you running staggered sizes? Same wear F&R? What PSI? (Sounds like they may have been overinflated.)

Retep
07-16-09, 10:05 PM
The bad news : . :crybaby:Those tires are very very noisy - gives driver and passengers instant headaches. Need to take one Tylenol every 50 miles.:bigroll: My Winter tires (Scorpion ) are very quiet compared to the Federals.

I'll take this statement back.
Seems when the dealership changed my tires and rims they must have damaged my left rear bearing - that's what caused all the noise.
Had the bearing changed and no more noise.
:yup:

louisn
07-17-09, 10:00 AM
I'll take this statement back.
Seems when the dealership changed my tires and rims they must have damaged my left rear bearing - that's what caused all the noise.
Had the bearing changed and no more noise.
:yup:
Bearings seem to be a common problem. I had one replaced at 25,000 miles. Your bearing failure was probably not cause by the dealership with your tire change.:confused: It was coincidental. My Kumho are much quieter. too. BTW, My Honda Accord's Michs are also very noisy and slippery in the wet after 12,000 miles. Michs are Very overrated and TOO expensive. :rant2:
Glad to hear your noise problem was cured.

Retep
07-17-09, 10:22 AM
Your bearing failure was probably not cause by the dealership with your tire change.:confused: It was coincidental. .

I remember when I drove with my winter tires to the dealership that I heard a bit of a noise coming from the left rear.. .
Once they changed the tires (I did not see it how they did it) and I left the dealership I could not believe how loud those tires were. First I thought that perhaps it'll take some miles for the new tires to "run in", but it did not get any better.
I suspect that the bearing was already damaged when I brought the SRX in, than the dealer had perhaps problems getting the wheel off - took probably a huge sledgehammer to get the wheel off and damaged the bearing even more.

OffThaHorseCEO
06-01-10, 02:44 PM
almost a year later, how are the Federals holding up?