: Cranshaft Main Bolts

spin
03-12-09, 05:20 PM
I'm going to reseal the block halves while I have the motor out. Can the crankshaft main bolts be reused? I read the TSB and it mentions nothing about using new ones.

Also is a new oil distribution plate really required?

Is there an equivalent to the gm sealant P/N 88861417 that is readily available at an auto parts store?

Thanks for all the help. Just looking for some advice/knowledge from people that have already done this.

tateos
03-12-09, 05:49 PM
I read somewhere that once those bolts are removed, you should "insert" all the holes. I think the bolts are re-usable. I think the new plate is recommended. My half case was not leaking when I did my HG project, so I left the half case alone - just changed the rear main seal and pan gasket, both of which WERE leaking.

AJxtcman
03-12-09, 06:19 PM
I'm going to reseal the block halves while I have the motor out. Can the crankshaft main bolts be reused? I read the TSB and it mentions nothing about using new ones.

Also is a new oil distribution plate really required?

Is there an equivalent to the gm sealant P/N 88861417 that is readily available at an auto parts store?

Thanks for all the help. Just looking for some advice/knowledge from people that have already done this.

Use only the GM sealer. It is a bonding/epoxy type

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-tech-tips/117232-case-halves-reseal-fwd-rtv-sealant.html

Ranger
03-12-09, 06:23 PM
I don't believe you can reuse the bearings either.

spin
03-13-09, 09:35 AM
Unless this northstar motor is different than just about any other motor made, I should be able to reuse the bearings as long as they stay in the journal.

Ranger
03-13-09, 11:30 AM
I recall our old Guru saying something about a crush factor and once they are unbolted they should never be reused. I think he was talking about the rod bearings, but I believe the same goes for the mains.

tateos
03-13-09, 12:25 PM
Yes - you should not re-use the bearings

AJxtcman
03-13-09, 01:38 PM
GM says that you can reuse both the Rod and Main brgs

GM also says to replace the Rods brgs every time. Older info

Most techs reuse the mains. I had a claim bounced because I had a set of mains on the RO. "Excessive Parts"