: Hawk HP+ courtesy of Luke... Worth the noise?

TaVern
03-12-09, 05:24 PM
So a few weeks ago I needed new brake pads and decided to go with the Hawk HP+'s. Luke gave me a heads up though that he had heard from some people that these things "scream like a banshee" and create a lot of noise. I know it's only been a month but so far they are whisper quiet. Maybe those who have experience with these could chime in and tell me if I should expect banshee screams in the near future.

BTW the stopping power is incredible.

Slithering_Joe
03-12-09, 05:28 PM
A friend of mine that I go to the track with bought HP+ and I bought HPS. Ater burnishing them in, his immediately sounded like a mass transit bus coming to a stop when braking. Mine were quiet as a mouse though I can't say the HPS were any better than the PBR pads I replaced them with.

CtsVrod
03-12-09, 05:30 PM
I've had mine on for a few weeks, and when they're cold they seem to squeek a bit more, but once warmed up there pretty quiet, The only time I hear them is very low speed braking, But the improved brake feel/response is well worth the noise!!

As crazy as it sounds the squeal reminds me of race cars braking in the pits etc.... so to me its kinda cool. "Race car Brakes"

Just like Jays McLaren!!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/um-fgoO75Fc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/um-fgoO75Fc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Twitch
03-12-09, 05:35 PM
I have HP+ in front and HPS in the back. They were real quiet at first. Now they make a little noise, after three track days and about 6-7K miles. You hear it if your going very slow and apply the breaks. I drive in a lot of stop and go traffic. That's when it gets a little annoying. But normal driving, if you aren't very light with the brakes, you should be squeak free.

Tony

thebigjimsho
03-12-09, 05:38 PM
I don't notice any squealing at all. My Hawk Blues weren't even that horrible...

trukk
03-12-09, 05:58 PM
I have HP+ in front and HPS in the back. They were real quiet at first. Now they make a little noise, after three track days and about 6-7K miles. You hear it if your going very slow and apply the breaks. I drive in a lot of stop and go traffic. That's when it gets a little annoying. But normal driving, if you aren't very light with the brakes, you should be squeak free.

Tony

Same here except the annoying part. They only make a bit of noise when you are going really slow (sub 5mph).

They are a great performance mod to the car. THe first time you REALLY stop hard, you will have a big smile on your face :D

-Chris

MIGHTYMOUSE
03-12-09, 06:02 PM
they are well worth the little squeak you get just before comming to a dead stop, and for me it only does that mayve 1 of 10 stops

UnsafeAtAnySpd
03-12-09, 06:59 PM
How much do they run again? I can't remember.

CtsVrod
03-12-09, 07:12 PM
THe first time you REALLY stop hard, you will have a big smile on your face :D

-Chris

:yup:

Just make sure all your passengers are belted in! :p

I was amazed how much better my car stopped once I installed the HP+ and slotted rotors...

SkullV
03-12-09, 07:12 PM
I usually run HP+ up front on the track and HPS up front on the street. I would say that they are not worth it AT ALL if all you do is street driving. For any speed you will be stopping from on the street the HPS are just fine and dust MUCH less then the stock pads. The HP+ dust much worse and are MUCH louder then the stock pads.

814V
03-12-09, 07:27 PM
when i had my STI in the past the brembos always seemed to screem on that thing.. i always used to tell people racecar brakes! i actually expected the same from the V when i purchased it

branland
03-12-09, 07:46 PM
I also have the Hp+ up front and the HPS in the back. Although I have yet to take the car to the track, it feels like thereís more bite up front. I notice a little noise when Iím coming to a stop. I did warp my stock rotors while coming back from Potrero last weekend. The brakes felt great until they started to chatter. Time for an upgrade.

CtsVrod
03-12-09, 08:15 PM
I also have the Hp+ up front and the HPS in the back. Although I have yet to take the car to the track, it feels like thereís more bite up front. I notice a little noise when Iím coming to a stop. I did warp my stock rotors while coming back from Potrero last weekend. The brakes felt great until they started to chatter. Time for an upgrade.

Potrero Canyon?? Near Malibu?

trukk
03-12-09, 08:40 PM
I'm getting ready to give CarboTech XP8's a try on the street. I have a set of new ones for the rear, just need to buy some for up front. Should be interesting :D

branland
03-12-09, 09:17 PM
Potrero Canyon?? Near Malibu?

Potrero is a very small town south east of San Diego. I have a post office box out there. Route 94 twists and turns through the mountains. Itís a great drive if there not too much traffic. Thereís only a few legal passing places but sometimes people will pull over and let you by if youíre rolling.

rjoffe
03-12-09, 10:57 PM
I'll add my input here, but it's the same as most of the others, slight squeak at sub 5mph stops, lots of dust, excellent performance on the track.

robertb
03-12-09, 11:16 PM
They only make a bit of noise when you are going really slow (sub 5mph).

They are a great performance mod to the car. THe first time you REALLY stop hard, you will have a big smile on your face :D

-Chris

Pretty much my experience. I am on my second set of HP+. I really like them on the street, but they are especially impressive on the track!:thumbsup:

TaVern
03-13-09, 04:22 PM
Thanks for the quick replies, guys. I guess to most there is *some* noise, but not enough to be concerned about. And another thanks to Luke at Lindsay :worship:

Nutz
03-13-09, 05:33 PM
I put Hawk Blue's (with stock rotors) on my V for a trip from Cleveland, Ohio to Summit Point to Myrtle Beach, around Dragon's Tail in Tennessee, back to Cleveland, Ohio. NEVER heard a squeek, evvar. (looooots of dust though)

Slithering_Joe
03-13-09, 06:25 PM
None of you guys have any stopping issues with HP+ pads when you initially hit the brakes?
I'm in need of some rotors and I would like to have a fresh set of pads on them while I am in there. I've been talked out of getting the HP+ because they need a little heat in them to perform. Cruising for a while on the highway can cool the brakes down to ambient temperature. If for any reason you need to hit the brakes hard, the first couple seconds may make the difference between avoiding and hitting something. It seems that race pads when cool/cold, have less stopping capability compared to stock or street pads at the same temperature. When hot, that is a different discussion.

darkman
03-13-09, 07:08 PM
None of you guys have any stopping issues with HP+ pads when you initially hit the brakes?
I'm in need of some rotors and I would like to have a fresh set of pads on them while I am in there. I've been talked out of getting the HP+ because they need a little heat in them to perform. Cruising for a while on the highway can cool the brakes down to ambient temperature. If for any reason you need to hit the brakes hard, the first couple seconds may make the difference between avoiding and hitting something. It seems that race pads when cool/cold, have less stopping capability compared to stock or street pads at the same temperature. When hot, that is a different discussion.

Great question - I too would like to know the answer. This concern is the only reason I have not yet gone to HP+'s.

TaVern
03-13-09, 07:17 PM
I actually had an opportunity today driving into work to test the stopping power at highway speeds, and was very impressed. Damn near drove the front end into the asphalt. However, I'm still new to these things so I can't answer that for sure.

Slithering_Joe
03-13-09, 07:25 PM
It's the around town driving I am concerned about. You can be stop-n-go traffic (welcome to Jersey) where the brakes have no heat in them. There's that instance you need to hit the brakes to stop in a very short distance at low speed.

rjoffe
03-13-09, 09:37 PM
In track conditions, the HP+'s do seem to need a lap or two to get to a nice consistent stopping power. With that being said, under emergency conditions, even when cold, I can get ABS to kick in right away with them.

The best would be for you to find someone with hp+'s in their and take it for a quick trip to see if you like the feel. If you make it down to the DC area, I will gladly let you take mine for a spin.

thebigjimsho
03-14-09, 12:18 PM
I don't notice any loss of stopping power of the hp+ when cold. Blues, on the other hand...

thebigjimsho
03-14-09, 12:19 PM
And that's with me driving in near freezing temps...

darkman
03-14-09, 12:42 PM
I don't notice any loss of stopping power of the hp+ when cold. Blues, on the other hand...

Based on my understanding of brake pad technology, if the hp+ does not represent a compromise in terms of stopping power when cold it must represent some level of compromise in terms of fade resistance under frequent use. Simply put, you there is no such thing as a no compromise brake pad. So where does that put the hp+?

thebigjimsho
03-14-09, 12:52 PM
Based on my understanding of brake pad technology, if the hp+ does not represent a compromise in terms of stopping power when cold it must represent some level of compromise in terms of fade resistance under frequent use. Simply put, you there is no such thing as a no compromise brake pad. So where does that put the hp+?
well, there are a lot reasons pads fade. but to look at a graph of a pads proper operating temp, you usually see a steady performance curve and then suddenly, a tail-off in performance when worked up. I think that can also apply on the lower temp range.

Like a brake system that's wet and cool, you can feel the pads do nothing for a split second until it dries out and then, like a turbo, it bites. Same thing for the hawk hp+. It probably does do poorly when cold, in theory. but when you're talking ambient temps that seem wild to us in a 50 degree swing from 30-80, our braking system can go from near ambient to a few hundred degrees in a very short amount of time. you'd be up to proper operating temps almost instantaneously...

thebigjimsho
03-14-09, 12:53 PM
race pads, on the other hand, need to get up well into the hundreds of degrees to work effectively. I wouldn't run my Hawk Blues on the street unless it was a quick jaunt for fun...

darkman
03-14-09, 01:06 PM
well, there are a lot reasons pads fade. but to look at a graph of a pads proper operating temp, you usually see a steady performance curve and then suddenly, a tail-off in performance when worked up. I think that can also apply on the lower temp range.

Like a brake system that's wet and cool, you can feel the pads do nothing for a split second until it dries out and then, like a turbo, it bites. Same thing for the hawk hp+. It probably does do poorly when cold, in theory. but when you're talking ambient temps that seem wild to us in a 50 degree swing from 30-80, our braking system can go from near ambient to a few hundred degrees in a very short amount of time. you'd be up to proper operating temps almost instantaneously...

Thanks. From what you are saying the hp+ works fine on the street and I think I will give them a try. My concern is not really the first stop sign on a morning drive, it is rather missing the idiot that cuts in front of me when I have been on the freeway for 30 minutes without touching my brakes. At that instant I will not have the luxury of pre-heating the pads.

thebigjimsho
03-14-09, 01:08 PM
Thanks. From what you are saying the hp+ works fine on the street and I think I will give them a try. My concern is not really the first stop sign on a morning drive, it is rather missing the idiot that cuts in front of me when I have been on the freeway for 30 minutes without touching my brakes. At that instant I will not have the luxury of pre-heating the pads.
And you won't need to. I haven't noticed any need for pre-heating at all. And the last time I drove mah V, it was 35 out...

UnsafeAtAnySpd
03-15-09, 09:56 AM
I'll be calling Luke tomorrow. First track day is the 19th of next month (my second one ever). I can't wait! It's nice how easy it is to change pads on our cars (other than taking the wheel off which is just annoying).

TaVern
03-15-09, 04:58 PM
I'll be calling Luke tomorrow. First track day is the 19th of next month (my second one ever).

Where at?

UnsafeAtAnySpd
03-15-09, 06:42 PM
High Plains Raceway east of Denver. It's a new course.

thebigjimsho
03-15-09, 08:17 PM
you guys got a lot of new tracks going up in that part of the country...

jerrycecco
03-15-09, 08:36 PM
I have Luke's Hawk HP+ in the front and stock in the rear -- and the rear make a little noise, Zero up front
These pads are GREAT, under heavy brake feels like your eyes are about to come out of your sockets...
More brake dust then stock but worth it.
I was about to swap after the track event, but since I dont drive much I left them in.
If you search you can find the pad replacement procedure....
BUT I like bring my car in for a nut and bolt check before every trak event...

--Jerry