: 1999 escalade problem please help

99cadiman
03-12-09, 10:29 AM
Okay my 4x4 button switch is not lighting up nor is it engaging I pushed the buttons am not sure if am running in 4x2 or 4x4I think my 4x4 might be disengaged I just noticed the problem today but before I take it to a mechanic I wanted to get some input I also wanted to add I have my 99 lade on 24's could it have anything to do with it I noticed because when I turned I felt my truck like a tire would slip a bit and also when am turning it gives me a a lil like bump if I make like turn ..can I get some input

ratbike1
03-12-09, 12:34 PM
You should def be able to tell if the truck is in 4wd or not; there's substantially more "drag".
It could be several things. Did you check for power at the switch?
I had a 95 Tahoe that the 4wd actuator went bad on. It's pretty easy to pull out and see if it's working.

shore
03-12-09, 03:02 PM
Turn the wheel left or right almost all the way and drive a circle.You will know if it is in 4wd or not.The tires will grab and slip on the pavement.

Another way is to put her in the grass or dirt and put it in reverse and mash the gas.That should be easy to figure out if it is engaged.

99cadiman
03-13-09, 11:34 AM
Okay new problem the switch lit up but my truck stays on 4lo and everytime i try 2 change it to 2wd or auto 4wd it won't go and yes i have it on neutral what could it be i live in chicago so before i take it in and get charged over 1000 dollars on parts that weren't neccasary and a bunch of b.s. So what do you think it can be

ratbike1
03-13-09, 12:07 PM
Okay new problem the switch lit up but my truck stays on 4lo and everytime i try 2 change it to 2wd or auto 4wd it won't go and yes i have it on neutral what could it be i live in chicago so before i take it in and get charged over 1000 dollars on parts that weren't neccasary and a bunch of b.s. So what do you think it can be

Well, lets start with how you got from problem 1 to problem 2?

fierodough
03-13-09, 02:58 PM
That is an Encoder problem. Pull the battery for a good 30 min. Reset the encoder. While you are at it, there should be an electical connector harness going to the transfer case encoder motor. Pull that and clean it.

If problem persists... You need a new encoder and / or encoder motor.

99cadiman
03-18-09, 12:01 PM
okay sorry i havent been on i been trying to finish up school i been riding with the problem still but thanks to the encoder part ill have my brother take a look at it but also the problem i hear it switching but it goes back to 4lo it i press 2wd it i lose the gear like say i press 2 wb and i start driving my lade moves and by the first shift it wont move until i stop and press 4lo and it hits hard can it be my transfer case please tell me that is not to expensive since am still in high school barley working part time and i also notice that my lights for the switches might be lose because if i push it hard it lights up so am really confused and worried this is my first well to me my first luxury suv its a lade it might not be new but hey high school kid with a lade not very many around chicago i know i have a guarantee on my transmission but thats it