: Filled all 3 holes up with Amsoil...Smooth Results!!!

GM-4-LIFE
03-12-09, 01:13 AM
Tonight I went down to my local GM dealer's express lube and had them drain and re-fill all 3 holes with Amsoil. They changed my engine oil, flushed out my tranny fluid with a very nice machine and swapped the diff fluid.

I went with Amsoil 0w30 Signature Series Fully Synthetic oil, Amsoil EAO50 EA synthetic oil filter, Amsoil Universal ATF, Amsoil Severe Duty 75w90 and Amsoil limited slip additive.

My V had 1,908 miles on it at the time of the fluid swaps.

The engine oil and diff fluid were VERY dirty! The engine oil was almost completely black and so was the diff fluid. I couldn't believe that after only 1,908 miles, the fluids were so dark. How bad would they have been at their normal factory recommended service intervals? Tranny was still very clean, but I wanted the better Amsoil in.

I ADVISE ALL OF YOU TO GET YOUR FLUIDS SWAPPED ASAP IF YOU HAVEN'T DONE IT ALREADY.

Here is what blew me away!!! NO FACTORY INSTALLED MAGNETIC DRAIN PLUG!! I COULDN'T BELIEVE GM didn't put one in our oil pans! All Corvettes come with them standard and I believe the GMT-900 truck/suvs have them factory installed. What's the deal here? Was GM trying to save money on this? I have to find out if the LS3 Corvette has a magnetic drain plug and install it on my next oil change!

I took them 17 quarts of Amsoil ATF even though the GM owner's manual states that a complete drain and re-fill of the tranny consists of only 14 quarts because I wanted to make sure that all the GM Dexron VI came out. I am happy to report that after watching the entire tranny flush process that I can confidently say my V's tranny contains absolutely NO GM DEXRON VI ANYMORE!!!! 100% Amsoil ATF in my trans now!

All the service personnel performed all the work and did a very good job. They were VERY clean and thorough and the cost was very reasonable. Total labor cost was: $177.00, but it was well worth it! Amsoil fluids and oil filter were extra, but again, very well worth the entire cost.

The V is so much smoother now over the factory fluids. Now, I don't have to worry about the break-in materials any longer. My V now has the best fluids and I can rest easy knowing that my engine, tranny and rear end are now protected with the best fluids

I will do the same fluid swaps again in a few thousand miles and I know it is overkill, but it is cheap insurance. Right now, the Amsoil fluids are most likely cleaning up all the crap left behind during the initial "break-in" process and I want to do the same fluid swaps again to ensure that all the junk is out. I guess I am a bit too meticulous when it comes to my cars.

I know Amsoil isn't cheap, but I recommend it to everyone here! I really hope this helps illustrate what I saw draining from my powertrain components after only 1,908 miles.

Here is a link to where I got all my Amsoil products: https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/default.aspx?zo=1683845

SG

Razorecko
03-12-09, 01:18 AM
Do you have a 6spd auto or manual v ?

GM-4-LIFE
03-12-09, 01:27 AM
Do you have a 6spd auto or manual v ?

Sorry, I forgot to mention it is an automatic.

SG

Razorecko
03-12-09, 01:40 AM
What amsoil fluid would you use for a stick transmission ? ....sounds like the fluids should be tossed out around the 500mile mark. Good to know about the magnetic drain plug. I have a 'filtermag' i plan on having the dealer put on the v even before i pull it out of the dealership.

GM-4-LIFE
03-12-09, 01:46 AM
What amsoil fluid would you use for a stick transmission ? ....sounds like the fluids should be tossed out around the 500mile mark. Good to know about the magnetic drain plug. I have a 'filtermag' i plan on having the dealer put on the v even before i pull it out of the dealership.

Click on this link:

https://www.amsoil.com/scripts/runisa.dll?amsoiloaf:index

Enter in the vehicle you want and it will tell you what Amsoil recommends for all fluids for the specific vehicle you enter in.

Hope this helps!

SG

Razorecko
03-12-09, 01:53 AM
^cool thanks !...you should think of getting a filtermag also,,,

http://www.shopfiltermag.com/

Caddyscat
03-12-09, 02:22 AM
I had a fella at work ask me if I was using amsoil. He stated you could go ridiculous intervals between fluid changes (something like 10k miles?) and something didn't seem right about that. I checked your link and to my surprise the oil wasn't even that expensive. I usually get Mobil 1 synthetic @ costco $29.99/6 quarts for my WS6.

Well my point is, the amsoil isnt as expensive as i initially thought it would be, and reading about how filthy your diff oil was i am definitely going to consider having mine changed (about 2k after delivery?)

Great post!

Razorecko
03-12-09, 03:12 AM
well from what i know Mobil 1 DEGRADED the quality of their synthetic formula of recent to save money. It wouldnt suprise me.

CadV
03-12-09, 03:56 AM
I ran my STS-V for 20k miles on single oil change of Amsoil. I think their new oil and filters go even further.

CSX
03-12-09, 04:20 AM
I ran my STS-V for 20k miles on single oil change of Amsoil. I think their new oil and filters go even further.

:eek:

I don't care if the oil is touched by the hand of God himself, I'll stick to my 6k intervals with full synthetic.

GM-4-LIFE
03-12-09, 12:12 PM
Razorecko,

I will look at the filtermag. I have heard things about it, but with the Amsoil oil and Amsoil EA oil filter, is the filtermag really necessary? I have first hand experience with Mobil 1 oil and Mobil 1 oil filter being subpar in quality on extended drain intervals. My oil analysis I had done last year showed that Mobil 1 and the Mobil 1 oil filter combo should NOT be run past 7,500 miles with 10,000 miles being the limit on the oil.

Caddyscat,

Amsoil is not that expensive at all and that is why I went with it for all the powertrain components in my V. You should hear how smooth and quiet the engine is at idle with Amsoil 0w30 over the factory fill Mobil 1 5w30. I went with a thinner oil and the engine was just so smooth and quiet at idle. At WOT on the freeway last night coming home, the car felt so different. Just silky smooth.

Combine Amsoil 0w30 Signature Series Synthetic Oil with the Amsoil EA oil filter and Amsoil guarantees you can go 25,000 miles between oil changes or 1 year whichever comes first. Way more than Mobil 1. After my last oil analysis, I don't think I will ever use Mobil 1 oil or Mobil 1 oil filters. I am an Amsoil customer for life!

It is recommended to drop the factory fluids at 500-1,000 miles, but I had to wait because the Amsoil ATF wasn't available in California until this past Monday due to new labeling that had to be done to conform to California rules, etc.

I am actually glad I kind of waiting almost until 2,000 miles so I could get as much of the break-in crap out. I hope I got most of it out.

CadV,

I drive about 7,500-10,000 miles a year, so I will change my oil around once a year once I am confident I got all the break-in crap out of the engine and diff. They were both filthy when they were drained last night.

CSX,

With Amsoil or most synthetics, you would be throwing money away changing the oil at 6K miles, but to each his own I always say!

SG

Razorecko
03-12-09, 12:49 PM
Def look into the filtermag. It works and it cheap insurance for all the particles that will run through the filter. I had one on my jeep srt8 for about 30k so far and the motor is running stronger now than ever.

haterinc
03-12-09, 01:05 PM
the last time i filled all 3 holes up, she didn't call me again lmao

1fstkde
03-12-09, 01:24 PM
Tonight I went down to my local GM dealer's express lube and had them drain and re-fill all 3 holes with Amsoil. They changed my engine oil, flushed out my tranny fluid with a very nice machine and swapped the diff fluid.

I went with Amsoil 0w30 Signature Series Fully Synthetic oil, Amsoil EAO50 EA synthetic oil filter, Amsoil Universal ATF, Amsoil Severe Duty 75w90 and Amsoil limited slip additive.

My V had 1,908 miles on it at the time of the fluid swaps.

The engine oil and diff fluid were VERY dirty! The engine oil was almost completely black and so was the diff fluid. I couldn't believe that after only 1,908 miles, the fluids were so dark. How bad would they have been at their normal factory recommended service intervals? Tranny was still very clean, but I wanted the better Amsoil in.

I ADVISE ALL OF YOU TO GET YOUR FLUIDS SWAPPED ASAP IF YOU HAVEN'T DONE IT ALREADY.

Here is what blew me away!!! NO FACTORY INSTALLED MAGNETIC DRAIN PLUG!! I COULDN'T BELIEVE GM didn't put one in our oil pans! All Corvettes come with them standard and I believe the GMT-900 truck/suvs have them factory installed. What's the deal here? Was GM trying to save money on this? I have to find out if the LS3 Corvette has a magnetic drain plug and install it on my next oil change!

I took them 17 quarts of Amsoil ATF even though the GM owner's manual states that a complete drain and re-fill of the tranny consists of only 14 quarts because I wanted to make sure that all the GM Dexron VI came out. I am happy to report that after watching the entire tranny flush process that I can confidently say my V's tranny contains absolutely NO GM DEXRON VI ANYMORE!!!! 100% Amsoil ATF in my trans now!

All the service personnel performed all the work and did a very good job. They were VERY clean and thorough and the cost was very reasonable. Total labor cost was: $177.00, but it was well worth it! Amsoil fluids and oil filter were extra, but again, very well worth the entire cost.

The V is so much smoother now over the factory fluids. Now, I don't have to worry about the break-in materials any longer. My V now has the best fluids and I can rest easy knowing that my engine, tranny and rear end are now protected with the best fluids

I will do the same fluid swaps again in a few thousand miles and I know it is overkill, but it is cheap insurance. Right now, the Amsoil fluids are most likely cleaning up all the crap left behind during the initial "break-in" process and I want to do the same fluid swaps again to ensure that all the junk is out. I guess I am a bit too meticulous when it comes to my cars.

I know Amsoil isn't cheap, but I recommend it to everyone here! I really hope this helps illustrate what I saw draining from my powertrain components after only 1,908 miles.

Here is a link to where I got all my Amsoil products: https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/default.aspx?zo=1683845

SG
especially when you own that puppy now!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

GM-4-LIFE
03-12-09, 01:47 PM
haterinc,

LMAO!!! Looks like you were the only one that got the innuendo!

1fstkde,

If I leased my CTS-V, I wouldn't have gone to great lengths to ensure all fluids are swapped out and I think almost all of the CTS-V owners on this board own their vehicles too. That is why I wanted to give everyone a heads up to AT LEAST swap out the engine oil and diff fluid ASAP!

By the way, when are you gonna step up and get your 09 V?

SG

The Tony Show
03-12-09, 02:06 PM

I was wondering how long that was going to take. :histeric:

OldDrummer55
03-12-09, 02:32 PM

ROTFLMFAO! :histeric:

haterinc
03-12-09, 03:33 PM
haterinc,

LMAO!!! Looks like you were the only one that got the innuendo!

SG

ehhh well i'm a 32 year old teenager hahaa

GM-4-LIFE
03-12-09, 05:00 PM
ehhh well i'm a 32 year old teenager hahaa

Me and you both!

SG

chris1268
03-13-09, 10:53 AM
And I am just a 36 year old teen as well - I can't help it, it's the car :worship:

GM-4-LIFE
03-13-09, 03:11 PM
And I am just a 36 year old teen as well - I can't help it, it's the car :worship:

Very true! It is the car!

I can't help but do triple digit speeds everyday on the freeways when there is an open chance.

SG

OldDrummer55
03-13-09, 07:10 PM
Very true! It is the car!

I can't help but do triple digit speeds everyday on the freeways when there is an open chance.

SG

When I lived in LA the 405 speeds were either close to triple digits or gridlock... for everyone! Kinda miss it...

RapidRob
03-13-09, 07:17 PM
Click on this link:

https://www.amsoil.com/scripts/runisa.dll?amsoiloaf:index

Enter in the vehicle you want and it will tell you what Amsoil recommends for all fluids for the specific vehicle you enter in.

Hope this helps!

SG

Which ATF is best for the manual - the, "Torque Drive", type, (more expensive), or just the regular ATF? Wondering what the advantage may be, if any?

Rob

GM-4-LIFE
03-16-09, 12:18 PM
Which ATF is best for the manual - the, "Torque Drive", type, (more expensive), or just the regular ATF? Wondering what the advantage may be, if any?

Rob

According to Amsoil's website, you can run either one.

SG

RapidRob
03-16-09, 07:31 PM
^^^ Thanks for that SG - but that's what I was trying to figure out. Which, if either, were better. I suppose I could ask AMSOIL tech support if there is a good anwer .. :bigroll:

Rob

GM-4-LIFE
03-17-09, 12:16 AM
^^^ Thanks for that SG - but that's what I was trying to figure out. Which, if either, were better. I suppose I could ask AMSOIL tech support if there is a good anwer .. :bigroll:

Rob

That's a tough one as they are both really good fluids. If you drive it really hard go with the torque drive, although the torque drive is really meant for heavy duty diesel truck transmissions. Stick with the Universal ATF. You can't go wrong and it made my tranny run so much smoother!

SG

atdeneve
03-17-09, 12:11 PM
He'd run much smoother, if he'd just finish the job and lop it off. Oooh!

GM-4-LIFE
03-17-09, 03:35 PM
He'd run much smoother, if he'd just finish the job and lop it off. Oooh!

uhhhhh...what?

SG

RapidRob
03-17-09, 07:40 PM
:yeah:

Rob

RapidRob
03-18-09, 07:38 PM
That's a tough one as they are both really good fluids. If you drive it really hard go with the torque drive, although the torque drive is really meant for heavy duty diesel truck transmissions. Stick with the Universal ATF. You can't go wrong and it made my tranny run so much smoother!

SG

For what it's worth SG, (and anyone else who's interested), I received a firm recommendation from AMSOIL Tech Support, (Allen Bender), that, of the 2 types of ATF listed for use in 2009 CTS-V's w/manual trannys on the AMSOIL product look-up page, the, "Torque Drive Synthetic ATF", product code, "ATD", was best suited for use in the 2009 CTS-V manual tranny. According to Allen, that fluid provides extra protection.

Rob

irvvvine
04-04-09, 01:50 AM
Razorecko,

It is recommended to drop the factory fluids at 500-1,000 miles, but I had to wait because the Amsoil ATF wasn't available in California until this past Monday due to new labeling that had to be done to conform to California rules, etc.

I am actually glad I kind of waiting almost until 2,000 miles so I could get as much of the break-in crap out. I hope I got most of it out.

I was talking with a mechanic the other day about doing the first oil change and putting in Amsoil, and he commented that he thought that I shouldn't use Amsoil until the car had more miles on it ("several thousand"). He was concerned that the Amsoil being so slick it could interfere with the seating of the rings.

Can a motor oil be too good? Any thoughts?

Razorecko
04-04-09, 02:28 AM
the v takes mobil1 which is "supposed" to be a full synthetic. If you go with the same grade it should be a problem

Hawkeye2
04-04-09, 08:40 AM
I think you mean it should NOT be a problem.

GM-4-LIFE
04-04-09, 11:18 AM
The V was factory filled and designed to break-in with Mobil 1 which as stated is a fully synthetic motor oil, so the Amsoil won't harm anything. It can only help.

SG

Razorecko
04-04-09, 11:39 AM
The V was factory filled and designed to break-in with Mobil 1 which as stated is a fully synthetic motor oil, so the Amsoil won't harm anything. It can only help.

SG

agreed. especially with the knowledge now that mobil1 isnt' even fully synthetic anymore.

Razorecko
04-04-09, 11:50 AM
hey aero did your dealer give you any crap about the non-oem fluids ? - also why did you go with the amsoil 0/40 instead of the amsoil 5/30 ?

GM-4-LIFE
04-04-09, 12:30 PM
hey aero did your dealer give you any crap about the non-oem fluids ? - also why did you go with the amsoil 0/40 instead of the amsoil 5/30 ?

I went to the dealer's service department express lube and they just charged me labor. They didn't care that I was going to Amsoil.

I went to 0w30 instead of the 5w30 so there would be less friction in the crankcase and if there would be any potential of more efficient operation, that would be a plus too. I did notice a smidge more power with the thinner oil.

Either way, the Amsoil 0w30 exceeds 5w30 requirements and gives me less friction I can feel during WOT situations, better start-up protection and a bit better fuel economy.

The car just feels better and smoother with the 0w30 Amsoil. You can run 0w30 in your V too. You should feel the difference, especially how much quicker the RPMs rev up during WOT.

SG

irvvvine
04-04-09, 02:15 PM
I am leaning towards doing the first oil change at 750 miles with Mobil1 and then change out to Amsoil on the second oil change.

With only 1 week of ownership, and not enough miles, mine is still too new to try it WOT.

GM-4-LIFE
04-04-09, 04:04 PM
I am leaning towards doing the first oil change at 750 miles with Mobil1 and then change out to Amsoil on the second oil change.

With only 1 week of ownership, and not enough miles, mine is still too new to try it WOT.

Come on! All these engines are fully tested at WOT for 30 seconds on an engine stand before they even make it into our cars at the factory. You can go WOT without worrying about anything. I went WOT with about 15-20 miles on the odometer!

I changed out the factory oil at 1900 miles and went to Amsoil as I wanted to make sure all the factory break-in material was drained out.

You can change out the Mobil 1 at anytime and go to Amsoil. It is your car, so you can do what you wish.

SG

SlvrBullIT
06-28-09, 07:48 AM
^^^^
Not to be an @$$hole or anything, I keep hearing about this WOT test but never seen an actual document video etc about this. Is there something that says they do this before mounting it in a CTS-V?

GM-4-LIFE
06-28-09, 01:41 PM
^^^^
Not to be an @$ or anything, I keep hearing about this WOT test but never seen an actual document video etc about this. Is there something that says they do this before mounting it in a CTS-V?

All Corvette engines including the LS3 based engine in the CTS-Vs are run for 30 seconds at WOT on an engine dyno before they are installed in the cars at the factory. All Corvette owner's videos state this, but they don't show it.

SG

nynd
06-28-09, 05:04 PM
Where do you guys typically buy Amsoil? I know Mobil1 can be bought at Walmart, but do they also carry Amsoil? If not, what retailer would have it? Also - are most just using the OEM filter? Is it a Delco part?

CADYSHAK
06-28-09, 07:45 PM
Where in the cadillac manual does it say that ALL fluids must be changed in around 1500 miles . In fact since GM built this car with VERY qualified engineers , they don't even mention to change your engine oil sooner than
5000k or when the oil monitor says so .

CADYSHAK

RapidRob
06-28-09, 07:58 PM
^^^ Nowhere as far as I know. This subject was debated previously and a few of us, (including myself), made a personal decision that it would probably be a good idea to change all fluids after a few miles, (1700 mi in my case), just to make sure that any break-in debris that may have accumulated in the engine, tranny, and differential would be drained with the factory fluids, and replaced with new high performance fluids. This is not required - just a personal decision. I use AMSOIL as well, as it's products are considered, in many circles, as the best available.

Rob

GM-4-LIFE
06-28-09, 08:40 PM
Where do you guys typically buy Amsoil? I know Mobil1 can be bought at Walmart, but do they also carry Amsoil? If not, what retailer would have it? Also - are most just using the OEM filter? Is it a Delco part?

Our company carries Amsoil. Click here to order:

https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/default.aspx?zo=1683845

You can also sign up for the preferred customer program that allows you to buy at dealer cost once you sign up for the program. It pays off in the long run!

Order Amsoil oil filter part number EAO50 and you will get the best results when used with the Amsoil oil.

Let us know if you have any questions!

Thanks!

SG

allklr
06-28-09, 10:12 PM
I just ordered the Amsoil myself, Hopefully I can get it change this weekend.

C66 Racing
06-30-09, 12:48 AM

As mentioned by AERO1, mostly found online.

I use the AMSOIL Ea Oil Filter (http://www.c66racing-synthetics.com/Product%20Bulletins/EAOPB.htm) (LS6/LS2 part is EAO32) in mine with the same AMSOIL Signature Series 0w30 that AERO1 is using.

I've been seeing very low wear results using the AMSOIL 0w30 in my 06 CTS-V:
Cadillac CTS-V Used Oil Analysis AMSOIL 0w30 (http://www.c66racing-synthetics.com/TestResults/CTS-V%20AMSOIL%20UOA.htm)
:cheers:

thatcoder
08-03-09, 07:08 PM
Thanks.. Good info.

GPat599
08-03-09, 07:38 PM
How much of each AMSOIL product to I need to order to cover the three exchanges?

GM-4-LIFE
08-03-09, 08:27 PM
How much of each AMSOIL product to I need to order to cover the three exchanges?

PM me and I will send you everything you need. I just sent it to another forum member not too long ago.

SG

CASEY122457
08-03-09, 09:29 PM
I am using this lifetime filter. www.gopurepower.com

1BlinkGone
08-05-09, 01:25 AM
I am using this lifetime filter. www.gopurepower.com

I LIKE that!

SlvrBullIT
08-05-09, 02:32 AM
@199.95 need 20 changes @10 a pop filters to make up that cost...epps!!!! And can't mount a filtermag....hmmmm I like the flow rate tho!!!!!

onephatguy
08-05-09, 07:05 AM
I guess I am a bit too meticulous when it comes to my cars.

No, I would say you're treating your car the way people should. If everyone really took care of their car, we wouldn't see half the issues that come up. I believe in taking the same care with all my cars. Amsoil, Redline, Royal Purple, what ever it takes to do the job correctly. Good work.

CASEY122457
08-05-09, 10:04 AM
@199.95 need 20 changes @10 a pop filters to make up that cost...epps!!!! And can't mount a filtermag....hmmmm I like the flow rate tho!!!!!

True, but I figure that I will always have a small-block Chevy in my stable.

aco
08-05-09, 12:16 PM

The Pure Power filters apparently have rare earth magnets inside them. So no need for a filtermag.

kck
08-05-09, 01:25 PM
As mentioned by AERO1, mostly found online.

I use the AMSOIL Ea Oil Filter (http://www.c66racing-synthetics.com/Product%20Bulletins/EAOPB.htm) (LS6/LS2 part is EAO32) in mine with the same AMSOIL Signature Series 0w30 that AERO1 is using.

I've been seeing very low wear results using the AMSOIL 0w30 in my 06 CTS-V:
Cadillac CTS-V Used Oil Analysis AMSOIL 0w30 (http://www.c66racing-synthetics.com/TestResults/CTS-V%20AMSOIL%20UOA.htm)
:cheers:

Brad:

Above you say you are using the Amsoil EAO32 oil filter, but I thought we are supposed to use EAO50 -- as AERO1 also recommends in his post.

Kyle

SlvrBullIT
08-05-09, 07:20 PM
The Pure Power filters apparently have rare earth magnets inside them. So no need for a filtermag.

I didn't see that anywhere in the product description...
Got any literature or anything stating they do have mags in the filter? If they do then I may just go fer ET ;)

SlvrBullIT
08-05-09, 07:45 PM
I saw some pictures and the magnet is small but apparently powerful. May have to get some feedback from others that have used it to see how they like it...

aco
08-05-09, 11:09 PM
The only place the magnets are mentioned on their site is in the description of the Harley Davidson filter, http://www.gopurepower.com/site/products/default.asp#FILTERS. I also saw a video from 2007 SEMA show,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIaGaAh1qBs, where the person being interviewed indicates that the rare earth magnets are built within the filters.

SlvrBullIT
08-14-09, 09:46 PM
Well gotta save up another couple of Benjamin's to get the lifetime filter....
Just gotta figure out how I'm gonna clean out a filter if the service dept at Cadi dealer is doing the service??????