: Ashtray wont open.

ifmracin
03-11-09, 11:08 PM
My ashtray will not open.
When I got the car it opened fine, but now when you press, it will move in like it should, but will not come out.

I was in there today installing my lockpick, so I decided to take it out to see what I could find, and with it out I am still unable to get it open.

Any ideas?

dkozloski
03-11-09, 11:36 PM
Once you drop all those quarters and nickles behind it you're in deep stew.

AllGoNShow
03-12-09, 11:19 AM
^^ Very helpful.

I assume you mean front ashtray. Mine is doing the same thing right now, RIGHT after being replaced under warranty. According to the dealership your ashtray "isn't aligned properly", well I have a few choice words in my head about that but I won't voice them.

If you are looking for a temporary solution, take the palm of your hand and smack the passenger side of the center console beside the ashtray. Don't be a wimp either, wind up and crank it, the plastic is storng it will take the force. The bang from your hand will jitter the ashtry and next time you push it to open it will open properly.

I haven't found a perfect solution yet as it has been -25 the last couple of days but according to the dealer if the trim comes off, make sure the ashtray is installed properly, all screws and clips are installed correctly and the ashtray works fine by itself outside the casing. The ashtray uses a bent piece of metal to help release the ashtray from the closed position. Both of mine were completely 180 from how they should be and causing jamming. There is also a set of gears on my rear ashtray *didn't look ont he front* which if some gunk gets stuck in there I could see jamming the ashtray right up. If you have it all apart, give the moving parts some spray on white silicone lube and that should help you out quite a bit.

This weekend will be warm and I am going to try and get my car into the dealer tomorrow for its final warranty work (warranty long expired now but open file so parts keep coming in). Then after that I will pull everything apart that is broken, including my frotn and rear ashtrays, and give you some more feedback if none of the above worked.

ifmracin
03-12-09, 11:45 AM
Well, I have already taken it out, and it still will not open.
The gears are fine.
There is a little 'thing' that follows a path that allows the tray to latch and to open, i'm not sure if this is what the issue is, as I don't have anything to compare it to.

Oh, and I don't plan on bashing on my wood dash.

AllGoNShow
03-12-09, 11:48 AM
Not bashing your wood dash, didn't listen did you? Basically a FIRM love tap on the PLASTIC on the SIDE of the center console BESIDE the ashtray. Nothing to do with your wood trim that will break when you smash it.

ifmracin
03-12-09, 11:54 AM
Gotcha.

But, it's still not going to help in my case. It's not just 'misaligned' or not quite releasing. It will not let go. I tried all kinds of crap once I had it out, no go.

Thanks for the ideas, let's keep them coming.

If I have to, I can live without it working (i don't smoke, and it's not a big deal), but I would rather it worked, obviously.
And I would rather not have to buy a replacement, I looked them up on gmpartsdirect, not cheap and that didn't include the wood trim for it.

AllGoNShow
03-12-09, 11:59 AM
Wierd. Yes they are a rip off. Thank god I am trying to quit smoking, going to get this thing working fine and clean it up because its the seocnd ashtray in 4 months that has failed on me.

When I get mine apart I will take some pictures and try some new things.

illinois cadillac
03-12-09, 02:16 PM
I have had the same problem. Sometimes it is stuck shut. Once I get it open it will not stay shut when closed.

coati
03-12-09, 03:09 PM
I had the same problem too.
In my case, I used to fold cash and put it in the ashtray for toll.
The dealership said it was the cash that got in the way and prevented the ashtray door from opening.

EChas3
03-12-09, 04:22 PM
Earlier ashtrays are even more susceptible to this kind of trouble. 2007's introduced a metal cover over half the tray insert. I think they're still problematic when used for things other than ashes. :thepan:

ifmracin
03-12-09, 05:23 PM
Amazingly mine is empty, and spotless, I don't think the previous owner used it either.

Force-1
03-12-09, 11:02 PM
Mine did the same thing, and I had it repaired under warranty. I noted they changed the metal liner, making it virtually useless--couldn't get my fingers in it. So, I asked for the old liner back, and my service rep gave it to me.

lreddiablo
03-13-09, 04:10 PM
Mine is hardly ever opend, and got the same BS problem with it, a design flaw I guess

Jesda
03-13-09, 04:21 PM
LOL, Cadillac still hasn't figured this ash tray thing out. The 92 STS sometimes won't close or won't open and requires force or finesse depending on what the issue is.

Aron9000
03-14-09, 03:18 AM
LOL, Cadillac still hasn't figured this ash tray thing out. The 92 STS sometimes won't close or won't open and requires force or finesse depending on what the issue is.

^so true, the ashtray in my Brougham rattles when you punch the gas and have the engine wound up to a high rpm.

C&C
03-14-09, 08:17 AM
Mine also (requires finesse). I keep my registration and insurance card there so I don't go in there too often (hopefully only when my documents are updated) but I would sure hate to have to get in there and it decides to be difficult.

ahuyghe
03-16-09, 12:19 AM
I've had this predicament also. I know what my problem was, and this could help. My front ashtry/cointray (if you can call it that because it's pretty well useless for anything) has a metal top on it that seems to cover about half of the opening when you open it. What happened in my case is i went in there to grab out a couple of coins, but i can barely get them out as there is not enough of an opening there to get your fingers in to grab the coins with.
As i fiddled in there, i inadvertently pushed up the metal cover and didn't notice. When i closed the tray everything seemed fine until the next time i went to use it. It seems that the metal cover hooks up behind the dash causing it to lock up in the closed position. I had to take the car in to the dealership to free it up.
hope this helps all of you.

Al

ifmracin
03-16-09, 02:21 PM
Thanks.
I still have the tray out, so I'll give that a shot tonight.

ifmracin
03-18-09, 10:02 AM
Ok, figured it out.
It's actually the cigarette lighter that is catching on the bottom plastic. For some reason it is dropping too low and catching before it is able to pop up to open.

Now I just need to attach something to keep it from dropping so low and all should be fine.

AllGoNShow
04-10-09, 02:54 PM
Ok, figured it out.
It's actually the cigarette lighter that is catching on the bottom plastic. For some reason it is dropping too low and catching before it is able to pop up to open.

Now I just need to attach something to keep it from dropping so low and all should be fine.

Similar issue to mine. The plastic collar around the cigarette lighter was catching the top of the assembly and sticking so it would not open or close but woudl move 1mm or so each way.

One thing I noticed when my stupid dealer returned my car back to me all pulled apart, the ashtray rests on 2 plastic points (alignment points) then screws in behind those points. There is some area of movement on those plastic alignment pins if your lighter is catching, try popping the fascia off first and adjusting, may fix your issues.

SleeprLegend
08-31-09, 10:43 PM
When you all say ashtray are you talking about the drawer that slides out with the cigarette lighter? Our dealer told us that they do not offer a metal ashtray insert for the felt pocket next to the ashtray. If this is wrong I am going after the dealer. I have been using the windows and sunroof for over 3 years!

EChas3
09-01-09, 03:05 PM
My wife's 2007 came with the Smokers Option. My 2006 did not. I swapped my felt lined inserts for her ashtray inserts and other than a few tweaks I'm in business.

The front ashtray can get stuck and require a magic trick to open.

AllGoNShow
09-01-09, 03:15 PM
"Magic trick to open"

you sound like the dealer, why don't you share your magic tricks with everyone instead of taunting them?

SleeprLegend
09-01-09, 03:21 PM
My wife's 2007 came with the Smokers Option. My 2006 did not. I swapped my felt lined inserts for her ashtray inserts and other than a few tweaks I'm in business.

The front ashtray can get stuck and require a magic trick to open.

:banghead: I bought my car in 2006, and asked the dealer again in 2007 if there was a metal ashtray insert. I'm sending the car back to them with everything fixed and the metal ashtray sitting on the dash. :gun2:Bastards! I bet my grandmother made them do that because she want's me to quit smoking. You can do stuff like that when you buy 2 Caddies a year from the same dealer for 30 years. They even take their cars in for the service department to change the CDs.

EChas3
09-01-09, 08:53 PM
"Magic trick to open"

you sound like the dealer, why don't you share your magic tricks with everyone instead of taunting them?

Come on... Use the search...

Every time there's a thread on the topic, I post it again.

OK...
With Feeling!

Rap the right side of the console by the ashtray. Press the drawer in. If this doesn't work you've got a tough jam.

The full unit can be removed as easily as the Bose/Nav head-end with nearly the same procedure.

Good Luck!

Aron9000
09-04-09, 06:40 AM
:banghead: I bought my car in 2006, and asked the dealer again in 2007 if there was a metal ashtray insert.

Metal ashtrays are overated IMO. The three metal ones in my 1991 Brougham are all rusted on the bottom, and nobody has ever smoked in my car.

karenscaddy
09-05-09, 07:14 PM
If you are looking for a temporary solution, take the palm of your hand and smack the passenger side of the center console beside the ashtray.

Thank you for the advise! I am new to this site and came across this thread, having the same difficulty. To my amazement, this works everytime for me! I am so glad I found these forums!!! Great advise here...thanks.

mywifekids1
09-06-09, 10:12 PM
I mistakenly closed the ashtray before putting down the cigrette lighter which I think jammed up my front ashtray I am going to try to get it open tomorrow I hope it works.

AllGoNShow
09-08-09, 01:01 PM
If you are looking for a temporary solution, take the palm of your hand and smack the passenger side of the center console beside the ashtray.

Thank you for the advise! I am new to this site and came across this thread, having the same difficulty. To my amazement, this works everytime for me! I am so glad I found these forums!!! Great advise here...thanks.

I used the same method when my last ashtray was giving me issues, I hate pounding my dash but its the only way it worked.

CTBB
11-04-09, 04:22 PM
OK, regrets to reopen this tired old thread, but this is BUGGIN' me!! :mad2: Got the ashtray open after discovering the cig lighter socket had dropped enough to block it's slide. Now that I have it open I find it will not come the rest of the way out so I can remedy the socket drop. It appears previous action may have damaged the mounting and I was hoping to get on with repair, without the dealership's involvement. The manual states to grasp the sides firmly and pull, no release latch etc. Any help?

Glenn

EChas3
11-08-09, 02:00 PM
OK, regrets to reopen this tired old thread, but this is BUGGIN' me!! :mad2: Got the ashtray open after discovering the cig lighter socket had dropped enough to block it's slide. Now that I have it open I find it will not come the rest of the way out so I can remedy the socket drop. It appears previous action may have damaged the mounting and I was hoping to get on with repair, without the dealership's involvement. The manual states to grasp the sides firmly and pull, no release latch etc. Any help?

Glenn

The drawer cannot be removed short of pulling the surrounding fascia & pulling screws. At least, that's the only way I've found.

Review the Lockpick installation video and you can easily remove the ashtray. The design concept is cool but the execution is much to fussy in the real world.

JackG
11-21-09, 10:38 PM
2005..mine is now stuck with a bunch of cash in it :(

LAC_STS
11-21-09, 10:58 PM
I just fixed mine!!!

I took it out because I was replacing the A/C control and there was some change stuck on the bottom of it. I took it out and whola it works so easy now.

turnne
11-22-09, 09:33 AM
I just bought an 05 last week and the ashtray does not open
We rolled it into the car deal....so I just need to schedule time at the dealer to have them repair it( and program another key fob)

Question..once thing thing is fixed.....am I going to have problems again...did they update the replacement part to be reliable?

Warren

JackG
11-23-09, 09:41 AM
Dam I need to fix mine... LAC, How did you fix yours??? Pulled everything apart?

LAC_STS
11-23-09, 10:36 AM
Yea I took the whole ashtray out and looked on the bottom of it. there was a bunch of change stuck in the bottom where it slides in and out.

AllGoNShow
11-23-09, 11:05 AM
Anyone have a how to on pulling the trim off around the radio to get at the screws for the ashtray? When the dealer had it apart it was easy to fix and clean but now that its back together I can't get the trim off!!

LAC_STS
11-23-09, 11:09 AM
You just pull it off. It is held on by (like most of the interior) by clips that you just have to pop out. Start at the top and work your way around. It does take some force just be careful. I can get it started with my fingers on the top but you may have to use a screw driver to get it started.

AllGoNShow
11-23-09, 11:17 AM
Thanks LAC!

JackG
11-23-09, 12:17 PM
Scared to snap it off

kschwed
11-24-09, 01:41 PM
dont be scared, but dont be jerky with it either. Be careful with it at the bottom, below the ashtray. It's thin down there

JackG
11-24-09, 02:06 PM
Thanks for the advice

CTBB
03-29-10, 01:15 AM
OK, finally went after this thing this past weekend, removing the assembly from the dash. I found that the lighter socket mount has a nice little feature that raises it up for use as the tray slides out, via a little plastic pin that slides in a slot in the side of the housing, lowering it again as the tray slides in. Said pin was snapped off, allowing the lighter mount to drop far enough to block the tray from sliding. After much manipulation I managed to get the entire thing aligned enough to glue the pin back into place with some SuperGlue gel. JB Weld would have been ideal, but the tiny space it fits through would have probably made it impossible to keep from gluing the entire thing into an immovable mess. :banghead: Allowed to dry overnight, and it works as advertised. Still looking for a used replacement as I have little faith in the repair, and am not willing to pay the price of new. If I'd known it was broken when purchasing the car it would have been taken care of by the dealer, but I was having too much fun discovering all the nice bells and whistles!. Must admit the engineering was clever, but the execution, using said plastic pin, was not.:mad2: Unless of course you're behind the parts counter collecting $200+ for the replacement. :bigroll:

For those having this problem the door is easily freed using a putty knife slid in under the lighter side of the tray.

Glenn

DopeStar 156
03-29-10, 11:45 AM
Mine got stuck when I stupidly jammed a buncha crap in it, here's what I did....

1. Go to the freezer and get a fudgesicle....
2. Consume said fudgesicle, and clean off the wooden stick before placing it in your pocket. I suggest left front....
3. Go outside and get in your STS.....
4. Press in the ash tray and wedge the popsicle stick in the top part and pry...
5. Open it and realize you didn't scratch anything and you got to enjoy a fine dessert product.....

I learned my lesson here, the only thing in my ashtray is a small stick of lip balm.....

gmmahieu
03-20-13, 01:51 AM
The putty kniofe trick is the boss, tried everything, then found this thread and used the putty knife, worked perfect, thanks for the tip.

Mullah88
03-20-13, 08:51 PM
Both the front and rear ash trays in mine are jammed! The front got jammed by the port lid and the back has been stuck ever since I bought the car

EChas3
03-20-13, 09:35 PM
"Sucks to be you!"

Sorry, M. I couldn't resist that line from a former co-worker!

The punch from the right has ALWAYS worked for me. (Didn't I post in this thread a while ago?)

----------

See post #25

Cadillac Cust Svc
03-21-13, 11:51 AM
Mullah88, I hope you'll keep us updated! If the community's troubleshooting helps you resolve your concern, please let us know. And if you decide to involve the dealer at any point, Customer Service is available to contact them on your behalf. Please email me anytime for further assistance; I'm reachable at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com!

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

97Concours1
09-04-14, 07:22 AM
Ok, this guy's post is the answer to the problem..... I know this is an old thread, but no one has really solved anything here but this guy. I was about to post the same thing he did. Yes, the design of the very very very very little plastic pin that follows the slot is the problem. It is so fragile a slight breeze will snap it off! I have owned two Cadillac's in my life. The first was a 97 Concours and now a 2006 STS. I repaired the one in the Concours way back when and then when I bought this newer STS I couldn't believe that it had the same problem and it was EIGHT years newer! They are probably still using the same design today!! Anyway, what I did (on both cars) is drilled a small hole into the plastic right where the little pin broke off. I drilled it clear through the plastic on one side and into the plastic on the other side (about 1 1/2 inches. I'm going by memory from 3 years ago). Then I found a long metal pin the same size and pushed it into the drilled hole all the way through so it is supported in two places about 1 1/2 inches apart. Then I superglued it in place. The metal pin needs to stick out far enough to follow the slot like the little plastic one did. This has worked great (for both cars) and I have had no fear of it ever breaking again. Getting it replaced with the original will just invite the same problem to happen again. If you are uncomfortable doing this repair, find someone who BUILDS radio control air planes and have them help you. This kind of work is a piece of cake to them... Good Luck!
OK, finally went after this thing this past weekend, removing the assembly from the dash. I found that the lighter socket mount has a nice little feature that raises it up for use as the tray slides out, via a little plastic pin that slides in a slot in the side of the housing, lowering it again as the tray slides in. Said pin was snapped off, allowing the lighter mount to drop far enough to block the tray from sliding. After much manipulation I managed to get the entire thing aligned enough to glue the pin back into place with some SuperGlue gel. JB Weld would have been ideal, but the tiny space it fits through would have probably made it impossible to keep from gluing the entire thing into an immovable mess. :banghead: Allowed to dry overnight, and it works as advertised. Still looking for a used replacement as I have little faith in the repair, and am not willing to pay the price of new. If I'd known it was broken when purchasing the car it would have been taken care of by the dealer, but I was having too much fun discovering all the nice bells and whistles!. Must admit the engineering was clever, but the execution, using said plastic pin, was not.:mad2: Unless of course you're behind the parts counter collecting $200+ for the replacement. :bigroll:

For those having this problem the door is easily freed using a putty knife slid in under the lighter side of the tray.

Glenn