: my 90 brougham 307

csbuckn
03-11-09, 12:10 PM
So heres a little update on the olds 307 to olds 350 swap. Got the machine work done to the motor, block, heads, intake and exhaust manifolds. The crossover pipe is getting a plate done for it now so I'll get pics of that when its done. The color is just so it stand out a little more under the hood. Found a nice little place to do the work, got it all done for 290. I just need piston rings, lifters, crank machined, bearings and gaskets. Coming together slowly.

then heres the lineup

greencadillacmatt
03-12-09, 12:53 AM
Nice looking block. I'm putting a '76 Olds 350 in my '84 DeVille. Hoping to have it in and running this May. Then I'm pointing the car towards the Indiana state line to catch a leg of the Hot Rod Power Tour. :burn:
Cool swap, man!

csbuckn
03-12-09, 08:57 AM
Are you gonna build it up? I just got a cam and I'm keeping the rest stock.

greencadillacmatt
03-12-09, 02:23 PM
I'm getting a comp-cams K-kit and I'm getting rid of all the engine emissions junk. I dont want to have to mess with the crazy jumble of vacuum lines. I'm also going with a rebuilt rochester Q-Jet from a 1971 Cutlass because it is pre-emission standards. Not anything to crazy. It's slowly being built in my college engine-overhaul class. We plugged the numbers into a computer dyno-simulator, and we think it will make low to mid 200's for HP but high 300's for torque. It will be a VAST improvement over the HT4100. Are you staying with the stock TH200 4R?

csbuckn
03-13-09, 12:02 AM
I gotta keep the 200, just had it rebuild. I'm undecided on EGR but I do have a couple of carbs, now I may have to run the numbers to see which ones they are.

greencadillacmatt
03-13-09, 02:45 PM
I'm keeping the stock 200 in my '84 as well. I had an opportunity for the TH-350 that came with my motor when I got it, but I dont have the knowhow to plumb everything in and make it all work. I figure if I keep the 200 in good repair, it should last a decent amount of time. I'm going to put a shift-kit in it to firm up the shifts, and that should help a lot. That, and not beating the hell out of it. :p

csbuckn
03-21-09, 09:20 AM
Couple quick questions...I have to replace the knock sensor but I cant find one for the 1977 block I have, Is there a chance that this motor didnt have one? Also, will the carb from the 307 work good for the olds 350 I'm putting in?

greencadillacmatt
03-23-09, 10:36 PM
I have no idea about the knock sensor, but I think your carb will work. It is one of the computer-controlled ones, right? From what I have gathered, the comp-controlled carb will work with bigger secondary jets installed.
I have a question. Is there any special flange or plate or anything that goes on the carb to attach the TV cable from the trans to? If not, how do you hook it up? If so, I will make a junkyard run (I need to anyways:D). Thanks!

csbuckn
03-24-09, 12:22 AM
Do you mean I would have to install different secondary jets myself? Are they easy to do because I have no idea about carbs? I dont know about the flange for the TV cable but the two that I have in the garage look different where the TV cable hooks up. But I would guess there would have to be a rotating assembly that the cable would connect to, the ones I have do.

Where you at in your build?

greencadillacmatt
03-24-09, 04:36 PM
I am not a carb guy either. This will actually be my first carbed vehicle. Everything else I have owned inadvertantly had fuel injection. Try and find a local shop that has someone who really knows carbs, and ask them about it.
Weii, I guess that I really do need a junkyard trip now. Try and find a 307 Brougham to try and get carb parts from. I am going to be painting engine parts tonight, and then begin reassembly. Just waiting on my Comp Cams Xtreme Energy kit. :bouncy: I already have my re-ring and gasket sets.

priscillabrougham
03-29-09, 11:43 PM
Try Doc Patten, Doc Patten Carburetors (docpatten@ardmore.net). He completely rebuilt mine and re-jetted it (I went for larger primaries and smaller secondaries-I'm not racing the thing) for $200 or so. He's in Alabama, e-mail him and get his number so you can call him, and when you do ship it to him, make sure it's COMPLETELY DRY OF FUEL (otherwise you'll end up like me at the post office with Homeland Security and the Local Postmaster threatening you...seriously!). A week later and the Doc's touch, and you'll be all set.

csbuckn
04-03-09, 08:37 AM
So I'm stuck at the motor mounts. I cant find any aftermarket ones. I want something a little better than stock, any suggestions?

jayoldschool
04-03-09, 12:56 PM
Check with Mondello (http://www.mondellotwister.com/). If something exists, they will know about it. Personally, I would just put in fresh stock mounts. Think about how long they lasted the first time... ;)

csbuckn
04-03-09, 05:55 PM
Yea I got stock ones for the other caddy and that motor is all over the place but I'll fiqure something out. So I started the prep for the swap and after looking under the hood for a while, started thinking about EGR and smog. I initially wanted to delete smog and EGR but it looks complicated under the hood. Smog will have to go but I dont know about EGR. Since its computer controlled, whats the best way to do the new setup? The exhaust manifolds dont have smog.

jayoldschool
04-03-09, 06:36 PM
Keep the EGR unless the new cam specs to delete it. It doesn't effect performance.

csbuckn
04-03-09, 07:06 PM
What about mods to the carb? Secondary jets and stuff like that.