: Front wheel alignment

stuckey
03-11-09, 12:25 PM
Is there anything special about doin an alignment on our V's? I went to the dealer a couple months ago to buy 2 new tires. They say I need an alignment. I say "do it". Now 2 months later I pull the fronts off to see the inside is completely worn out on the new tires. While the outside and middle tread are around 60% to 75%...

OzarksHillbilly
03-11-09, 12:37 PM
I'm glad to see this thread because I have been worried about the same thing.

I got a new set of tires installed on my '05 by a local Goodyear dealer a couple of months ago, and asked for an alignment because of some odd wear on the set being replaced. I later noticed on the computerized alignment report that I was given an FE1 alignment. I believe the suspension on our cars is FE3 or FE4 (I'm not sure which).

I've only driven the car a couple of hundred miles since the new tires were installed, and don't plan to do more until I return to the Goodyear shop or the dealer.

Am I right to be concerned?

rjoffe
03-11-09, 01:59 PM
cadillacfaq.com, all alignment details are there

MauiV
03-11-09, 02:13 PM
The insides of mine are damn near to the belts. New tires should arrive tomorrow.

You can always run higher psi to keep the centers wearing more than the outsides

NormV
03-11-09, 02:15 PM
Hope you meant tire dealer?!

Take in the receipt showing mileage. If the tires need replacing have replace or at least pro rate a pair of new ones.

Don't get an alignment there again.

Norm

Kael
03-11-09, 04:17 PM
I have been told the alignment on these cars is pretty notorious. Get it checked out at least once a year, it goes out of true very easily.

Learjet
03-11-09, 06:40 PM
Had the same problem - put the car on the lift and suprise - suprise insides where down to the metal, centers and outsides 50% plus - never run less than 31 psi and car is aligned by dealer regularly. So the answer is?

lawfuls
04-03-09, 02:41 AM
I took my 05 CTS-V to Sam Linder Cadillac (Salinas) today and asked about an alignment. The said it would cost over $250.00 that is if there was no damage to the front cradle. The service manager also pointed out two CTS's (non-V's) on the lot and said they both had damaged front cradles from the customers hitting curbs. Cost to fix $4500.00, anyone else heard about the CTS and problems with bent or damage front cradles?

NormV
04-03-09, 07:35 AM
Well if your going to run over stuff, it's going to bend and break stuff!

With technology today your slignment could be out every couple of months. Go in when the climate changes!

Norm

I took my 05 CTS-V to Sam Linder Cadillac (Salinas) today and asked about an alignment. The said it would cost over $250.00 that is if there was no damage to the front cradle. The service manager also pointed out two CTS's (non-V's) on the lot and said they both had damaged front cradles from the customers hitting curbs. Cost to fix $4500.00, anyone else heard about the CTS and problems with bent or damage front cradles?

rand49er
04-03-09, 12:56 PM
I took my 05 CTS-V to Sam Linder Cadillac (Salinas) today and asked about an alignment. The said it would cost over $250.00 that is if there was no damage to the front cradle. The service manager also pointed out two CTS's (non-V's) on the lot and said they both had damaged front cradles from the customers hitting curbs. Cost to fix $4500.00, anyone else heard about the CTS and problems with bent or damage front cradles?I had the aggressive street alignment done on my car last late April. I think it ran around $45 or thereabouts. This shop knows what they're doing, too ... it's a frame shop, and they're busy as heck.

I think they wanted to hose you, personally.

ROG
04-03-09, 01:19 PM
My front tires were worn to the cord on the inside also. My service manager said that it is because of the factory alignment being very aggressive for handling purposes. He said if I don't track the car I should get a new alignment that is not as extreme as the GM recommended one.

bpitas
04-03-09, 01:24 PM
I'd agree with Rand49er - they wanted your money. I'm getting my snows switched out for my summer tires, road force balanced, and a 4 wheel alignment done, and when I did this last year it cost around $120, and when they were done they gave me the print-out of the alignment specs. It shouldn't be $250 for *any* alignment unless the technicians are all naked blondes and they let you watch... :-)

Cowan480
04-03-09, 03:41 PM
Hope you meant tire dealer?!

Don't get an alignment there again.

Norm

I second this!
Cowan

CadzillaTN
04-03-09, 10:08 PM
firestone does 4 wheel lifetime alignments for $119.... cant beat it.

rand49er
04-03-09, 10:24 PM
... It shouldn't be $250 for *any* alignment unless the technicians are all naked blondes and they let you watch... :-)Or brunnettes, just make sure they're female technicians, too. :D

lawfuls
04-04-09, 01:55 AM
Just for information, I did not let Sam Linder Cadillac do the alignment, I took it to Seaside Ca, at another dealer (Minke) that has been providing service for all my "other vehicles". They have always been straight forward. They were eager to do my alignment for the CTS-V but when they got to the Caster/Camber portion they realized they needed the tool (with a turnbuckle) to make the adjustments.

I am going back next week. They are borrowing the tool from a near by Cadillac dealer. They also found my rear pinion seal is leaking, so now I get to go back to Sam Linder in Salinas to get the warranty work. Sam Linder Cadillac also advised they would NOT replace the "worn out" radio buttons even though I am still under the bumper to bumper warranty. I sure wish I had Lindsay Cadillac close.

I must give the thumbs up to Matthew Minke for taking on my alignment when he deals in Buick, Chrysler and Volvo. I would have to say the Minke dealership in Seaside Ca. is the best I have seen on the west coast. I downloaded the alignment specs as pointed out from this forum and the Minke dealership confirmed they matched what they had in their alignment rack computer. I will keep you all posted on my alignment which will hopelfully gets completed next week. As always any and all input is appreciated.

Jay

thebigjimsho
04-04-09, 11:57 PM
If you're gonna do 2, always do 4.

lawfuls
04-05-09, 08:06 AM
Well if your going to run over stuff, it's going to bend and break stuff!

With technology today your slignment could be out every couple of months. Go in when the climate changes!

Norm

NormV,

I have run over nothing, just pointing out that other peoples cars at the dealership had hit curbs and as a result have huge repair bills to replace the front suspension cradle. I have seen people hit curbs in other makes and models and have not required the entire front end replaced as a result. The Maintenance supervisor at the dealership seemed to be saying the V's have suspensions that are prone to damage from light to moderate impacts including large potholes! Just trying to find out if this is a known issue or a dealship problem.

Thanks

thebigjimsho
04-05-09, 03:47 PM
right side tires only. go for 4.

bpitas
04-06-09, 12:44 PM
Just out of curiosity and because I was thinking of it this weekend - does anyone know of a good home-alignment kit? I would think with lasers being pretty commonplace nowadays it would be pretty easy to make a kit that could measure both toe and camber for <$100, but it's hard to buy something like that without input from someone you trust. :-) Has anyone used one they like?

DisposableHero
08-07-09, 02:28 PM
Is there anything to help a lowered car get more adjustment on the camber?

The shop I'm at said the camber is maxed at -1% and it's supposed to be -0.5

darkman
08-07-09, 02:47 PM
There is a TSB No.: 05-08-61-001 that describes a kit - GM Part Number 88965464 designed to allow for more negative camber beyond the original adjustment range.

atdeneve
08-10-09, 02:05 AM
Is there anything to help a lowered car get more adjustment on the camber?

The shop I'm at said the camber is maxed at -1% and it's supposed to be -0.5

That's not true. You should be able to get at least -1.8 camber in the front. You can start notching the cradle to get even more.

There is a TSB No.: 05-08-61-001 that describes a kit - GM Part Number 88965464 designed to allow for more negative camber beyond the original adjustment range.

Does anyone have this kit installed? Any pictures of this kit floating around?