: Adding Subs and Amp

TheKid
03-11-09, 09:27 AM
I am adding subs and an amp. i dont want to mess with the stock radio at all. Is there a way to integrate this into the stock system without messing things up? I am going to run a seperate powe wire for the amp because it will be drawing some current.

Can i splice off the rear speakers and go from there to the RCA "in" ports on the new amp without changing the ohms on the stock speakers? I heard if u do it this way, u can damage the stock speakers by wiring them the wrong way like in parallel or in series? Any info guys thanks.

CadiBlk
03-11-09, 09:32 AM
There is much discussion on this. Use the search.

I feel this thread could be full of win.

perfect
03-11-09, 09:57 AM
Yes, some of us have added subs and amps to the stock stereo with minimal fuss. First, check the FAQ, there is some great info that will pretty much walk you through it. You will definitely need to run a separate power cable to the battery (I suggest running it through the drivers side firewall).

You can tap into the deck-lid subwoofer using an LOC (line-out-converter) that will convert the speaker signal high level inputs into low level RCA inputs for the amp.

I recommend a David Navone LOC (TWO CHANNEL HIGH QUALITY LINE DRIVE ADAPTER NE-7V, davidnavone.com). The most difficult part the stereo install is delicately pulling apart your Cadillac...and then putting it all back together...

TheKid
03-11-09, 12:33 PM
why cant u just forget about the LOC and go right to the amp from the factory subs? Wouldnt bringing a high level output into the amp be better?

heavymetals
03-11-09, 01:00 PM
Some amplifiers inputs will accept a speaker level input (high level) that is switchable to a low level (RCA).

This negates the need for an LOC.

PM me your email address and I can send you pics and a wiring diagram of where to splice into.

TheKid
03-11-09, 06:28 PM
Ok I'm thinking about purchasing that David Navone N-N-RHL2 Line output converter.

Is anyone using this?

Does all the factory Bose speakers work like they did before you hooked this up and installed your subs and aftermarket amp?

What i mean is, is the quality and volume still there, i don't want to compromise this?

I'm hooking up a 1 channel amp to 2 JL Audios

deedubb
03-11-09, 06:34 PM
How many threads do you intend on making about this?

EDIT: You could/should have just continued in your first thread: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2004/163813-adding-subs-amp.html

perfect
03-11-09, 06:41 PM
As I suggested in your first thread, the NE-7V is fine. You don't need the remote trigger capabilities of the N-RHL2 because the Bose amp will auto-shutoff/on with the car...

This is exactly how I have my stuff wired up (I have kept the stock HU and the stock Bose Speakers and Bose amplifier...but added a pair of subs and a sub amp). I use the Navone NE-7V LOC and am probably the only person on this board who does.

David Navone is a professional car audio guy that has competed for years and years and has built some quality products that don't cost a fortune. Yes, this will work perfectly fine without disrupting your bose system.

Lord Cadillac
03-11-09, 07:06 PM
Threads merged.

shadybx7
03-11-09, 07:29 PM
As I suggested in your first thread, the NE-7V is fine. You don't need the remote trigger capabilities of the N-RHL2 because the Bose amp will auto-shutoff/on with the car...

Thanks Perfect, im gonna pick one of these up for when i upgrade my sub..

TheKid
03-11-09, 11:45 PM

What are you talking about? The N-RHL2 is triggering the aftermarket amp not the Bose amp.

perfect
03-12-09, 08:17 AM
What are you talking about? The N-RHL2 is triggering the aftermarket amp not the Bose amp.

Your right, I wasn't paying attention when I read the "auto-trigger"...

Thats actually a really cool and useful feature, I haven't seen anything like that in an LOC before. For only $5 more than the NE-7V that is definitely a great deal. Get it and let me know how it works! :highfive:

TheKid
03-12-09, 12:20 PM
Here's another question guys:

I havent really looked in the trunk yet to see how the rear factory speakers are setup(in enclosed individual boxes or not), but couldnt this be bad for the factory speakers to have some serious bass hitting in the trunk if they are not isolated from all the bass air movement?

The only thing i can think of is custom make some port holes in the back dash so the air has somewhere to go and not be rattling the hell out of the nice factory speakers, but who wants to cut holes in there V? Any suggestions?

perfect
03-12-09, 01:35 PM
Here's another question guys:

I havent really looked in the trunk yet to see how the rear factory speakers are setup(in enclosed individual boxes or not), but couldnt this be bad for the factory speakers to have some serious bass hitting in the trunk if they are not isolated from all the bass air movement?

The only thing i can think of is custom make some port holes in the back dash so the air has somewhere to go and not be rattling the hell out of the nice factory speakers, but who wants to cut holes in there V? Any suggestions?

the trunk is not sealed nearly well enough at all for any amount of bass to cause a disturbance to your rear speakers.

some people have gotten creative and custom ported the center of the rear seat to vent air into the cabin...although this was to get more of the bass into the cabin, not to relieve pressure from the trunk

you won't do any damage unless you have a serious SPL system, in which case your car will rattle itself apart before you cause damage to the speakers

TheKid
03-12-09, 05:50 PM
Ok Thanks guys but I ran into another problem. After finally looking in the trunk I noticed I only have one rear dash speaker to tap into.

I bought the N-RHL2 and it is 2 channel. What do I do because this LOC has 2 sets of speaker wires and I only have 1 set of speaker wires to tap in to?

What's also confusing now that I found this out is that I'm actually hooking the other end of this converter into my "1" Channel Amp and powering my 2 JL Audo Subs. This amp is only 500x1 channel @ 4ohm and 1000x1 @ 1 ohm. So I will wire my subs to 1 ohm.

With whatever resolution you guys come up with, will it work with this setup and the way i'm wiring my subs? Remember I only have 1 rca input on my amp and 1 speaker output.

perfect
03-12-09, 06:46 PM
That one rear dash speaker is the subwoofer (which I was referring to earlier)

It shouldn't matter if the N-RHL2 is 2 channel since your subwoofers (and the amp) are mono. The LOC strips the crossover frequencies from any either high-level channel (so, channel 1 or 2) and converts into the necessary RCA low level inputs for your amp. Just for reference, what amplifier are you using?

My subwoofer amplifier (A Tru Technology Sledgehammer, for reference) is a two-channel (bridgeable) amplifier that has one set of RCA inputs. Because I am bridging the outputs (one set of speaker outputs going to a pair of subwoofers, wired in parallel). I'm very sure that this will work. I have done it in many friends vehicles.

Disconnect the terminals going to the rear deck subwoofer, and wire them directly to 1 channel of the Navone LOC. Then connect 1 set of RCA's to the Navone LOC and to your Amplifier. Run a +12V cable to your battery, and make sure to properly ground your amplifier (strip the paint, use a compression bolt and spider washer..make sure it's very snug). Turn your car on and slowly roll your volume up. Enjoy the bass!

TheKid
03-12-09, 08:55 PM
Ok, just out of curiosity, would it be the same thing if i wired both channels of the LOC to the factory sub wires since what i'm adding is mono?

I'm running a Rockford Fosgate

perfect
03-12-09, 09:20 PM
I can't see why it wouldn't work but ask the man who designed the product himself:

dnavone@davidnavone.com

He usually responds quickly and likes to take care of his customers.

what model RF specifically