: anyone make test pipes for this car?

Cleaner13
03-11-09, 09:28 AM
Im sure this has come up before but I did try looking through several threads.Im basically looking for a cat look alike that is actually a straight through. I just want to be able to pass a visual inspection and since most tuners on this board can tune out the check engine light for the O2 sensors Im not really worried about that.Thanks

trukk
03-11-09, 12:52 PM
Im sure this has come up before but I did try looking through several threads.Im basically looking for a cat look alike that is actually a straight through. I just want to be able to pass a visual inspection and since most tuners on this board can tune out the check engine light for the O2 sensors Im not really worried about that.Thanks

None that I'm aware of that repalce the OEM cats in the OEM location.

Random Tech is the only company that I know that makes a high flow cat to replace the OEM cat in the OEM location. They are pricey at about $700 per set, and don't look exatly OEM (a nice stainless). It would seem abit absurd to get those, and hog them out.

Another option would be to score a set of OEM cats (from a header install), and then cut em open, hog them out, etc. Wear a resporator.

Best bet though would probabaly be to install the OEM cats, get your inspection done, then swap in some headers :D

-Chris

whisler151
03-11-09, 01:01 PM
I know several guys that took their cats off and ran straight pipes through them. Or you could make one of these work... http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?N=700+-128322+115&Nao=0#rstop

darkman
03-11-09, 01:18 PM
I know several guys that took their cats off and ran straight pipes through them. Or you could make one of these work... http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?N=700+-128322+115&Nao=0#rstop

I bet having a $59 cat is pretty close to having no cat at all.

whisler151
03-11-09, 01:24 PM
I bet having a $59 cat is pretty close to having no cat at all.

But if the State Trooper looks under your car...at least its A cat. :thumbsup:

darkman
03-11-09, 01:32 PM

Agree

whisler151
03-11-09, 01:39 PM

Agree

I wish I had something under there vice the straight pipes. I have no room to BS any officer that may decide (i don't know why they would) to look under my car and see that clearly, there are no cats.

darkman
03-11-09, 01:54 PM
I wish I had something under there vice the straight pipes. I have no room to BS any officer that may decide (i don't know why they would) to look under my car and see that clearly, there are no cats.

Well, if they are long enough I guess you have a muffler shop splice one of the cats from Summit into your off-road pipes. To do it right it would need O2 sensors (presumably inoperative) in place too.

heavymetals
03-11-09, 01:55 PM
If your getting stopped and inspected for SMOG crap, you either have some very bad karma or your on someones list.

Cleaner13
03-12-09, 10:42 AM
Its not so much getting stopped for it, but NJ inspection is every 2 years or so and Id rather not waste the time replacing the stockers etc..